opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Undertow » 69. Disgustipated
User Name
Password
Old 03-31-2003, 01:07 PM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Seperating issues

I think you have to be careful with overinterpreting Tool - I believe that most or almost all the details in their songs do have som kind of 'message' (ie meaning) but they don't all have to be connected. Speaking fact, that God and Satan thing doesn't neccesarily refer to Satan having been the right hand of God once, although it is true, but really I don't think there is much relevance in that concerning the rest of the last part of Disgustipated. Some of you probably noticed that cicadas are vaguely audible before the voice starts - which could tell something about the setting.

- I always imagined the person speaking in the last part of Disgustipated as a little, bald man with black eyes sitting under some cedertrees, listening to the cicadas in a marshland in southern France. He's sitting on a white and moderately dirty plastic chair with vertical holes through the back, speaking into a 80's taperecorder. Producer's label worn off. His right leg is resting on the left leg. He looks onto the gravel road. Night. He just emptied a bottle of scotch into a birds nest lying on the ground. -

11thc
Old 04-22-2003, 05:55 PM   #42
Banned.

Bincount™: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by nikstar
"Let the rabbits wear glasses."
Yes, you're right.
Heh, well, strangely enough, that phrase actually makes sense in the scenario when you think about it. Carrots are widely said to improve eyesight. Rabbits like to eat carrots. Therefore, he is saying that the rabbits can do without carrots and wear glasses instead.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 12:13 PM   #43
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 67
no matter what your beliefs are, human beings are "designed" to eat meat- "This is necessary, life feeds on life".

This in fact is not the case..... humans, through evolution have BECOME meat eaters. We are all originally herbivores. The theory is that we became omnivores out of necessity, most likely due to desert like conditions. The question remains, why would we expose ourselves (as herbivores) to an environment that required us to eat meat. This likely had to do with rapid climate shifts etc.

more importantly, "Life feeds on, life" is an allusion to energy. We all need energy to survive, but the only things that give energy are living, therefor we must kill to survive, whether it be a carrot or a rabbit, or a sheep (bhaa-men, bhaa-le-lujah) In other words he is just making light f the obvious fact that we kill to survive, even each other, as Bill the landlord than shows us. Also, I always considered the "little people" to be little because of their distance. They are way out in a field, so to Bill they look little, and they are his because everything else is. I never thought them to be Kids, because they have their own car, that is locked, they are taking pictures in the field, than he starts to walk toward them, to, in my opinion murder them, to make them his. Bill seems to have a god complex, and seems to embody the "Life feeds on" philosophy quite well.

"First it giveth, than it taketh away"
Old 05-05-2003, 08:08 PM   #44
Level 3 - Talker

throwing in a couple sense...

as there are many interwoven interpretations to any/every Tool song...

in the FAQ, it describes how Tool played at the Scientology Celebrity Centre, not knowing who they were playing for. so what if the carrots represent these L. Ron Hubbard followers (or any religious group, for that matter)?

they all have a soul, whether they be sheep following blindly or carrots, let them wear glasses, dammit. let them SEE.

Last edited by benson; 05-05-2003 at 08:15 PM..
Old 05-16-2003, 01:02 PM   #45
Level 3 - Talker

please

please read my reply to the "seems like ufos" thread.

the one right after this thread on disgustipated....
Old 03-19-2004, 09:17 PM   #46
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2
Re: what the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach
Vegetarians?... actually, I thought so too. Disgustipated does have a sort of humorous twang to it, sort of a way to finish an otherwise very dark album on an upbeat note. When a guy's talking about killing carrots, you know he's not completely serious. "Let the rabbits wear glasses!"
Tool uses symbolism everywhere. They are a metaphysical band. Accept it, or leave. :)
Old 05-02-2004, 06:26 AM   #47
Banned.

Bincount™: 337

Quote:
Originally Posted by manifestcontent
that last part on the track i believe is about some sort of serial killer. see most murderers that have psychological disorders or pretty much anyone with a severe psychological disorder is quite self centered. they believe that the world is there's and it revolves around them. it's not to say that they are selfish because they can't really help the way they act. but a schizophrenic might think that everyone is out to get them or that everything is theres. in the track the guy reffers to everything as his. even the forest and the little people. the reason why i think he might be a murderer is because of how he woke up with sticky goo on him (blood?) and if i can remember there was something about him having a knife. the different colors describe his moods. red implying anger and maybe a murderous rampage. the only thing i don't understand is when he says " if God is our father then Satan must be our cousin". any thoughts on that?

I've been contemplating this song for a good while now and i'm very much clueless. This one woke up with a head full of pain and he had insights. this might be an insight that you would get when you're under some kind of an influence. lsd, perhaps. i've never done it so i don't know what i'm talking about but that's a viewpoint to consider.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:13 AM   #48
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11
Re: God?? this is tool we arre talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantra
ok as fun as the spiritual aspect may sound, this is Tool, remember songs like Opiate and Eulogy before you start interpreting their songs as involving god.

I have no idea what the end of this song is about, but there are a few things I have noticed. The whole your color thing may have something to do with a cameleon type analogy. "You stare up at your sky, blue is your color" the sky is blue, and now so are you "You whipe it on your grass, this makes green be your color" the grass is green and so are you, "It was a red car.... Red is your color now" the car is red and now so are you.

The little people can be interpreted in two wasy that I can see. One, aliens, this is the conclusion I jumped to when I first heard the song because it fit with the creepy theme, and after hearing Faaip De Oaid it made sense. The other would be that they are your children. This makes a little bit more sense in my head, they are tiny people, and they are yours.

Now these children, and infact the whole song, are probably a metaphor. A metaphor for what im not sure but I would geuss it has soething ot do with the mind. These two people are your children, wich could then be interpreted as your ideas. They are walking on the edge of a forest wich could mean that they are on the border of something, what I don't know (insanity?). In dreams a road or car often represent life. The car is locked, you cant get into it. You can't drive forward, and instead you move off to see these children, or ideas.

I'm not sure if this end of the song was meant to be taken in along with the rest of it wich is clearly about the food chain. In my mind it is meant to be considered a seperate hidden track within a hidden track because it doesnt seem to go along with anything else.

Then again, it might just be Tool messing with our heads, I really don't know.

Arnt the people tiny because they are out in the distance?
Made sense to me. I personally dont think them being tiny has anything to do with anything. Unless it has to do with infancy. (think lateralus lyrics?)
Old 09-24-2004, 01:31 AM   #49
Level 8 - Vociferous

(Conclusion)
I figured it out. What it means. Its simple.
The song, the world, is yours, it means what you want it to mean, and thats it. And by that meaning that you CREATE in your mind what you want it to mean. Most of us look for the most complex answer in a subject. Simply, thats what the ending to the song means.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:37 AM   #50
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojjl
(Conclusion)
I figured it out. What it means. Its simple.
The song, the world, is yours, it means what you want it to mean, and thats it. And by that meaning that you CREATE in your mind what you want it to mean. Most of us look for the most complex answer in a subject. Simply, thats what the ending to the song means.
This is the simply most complex answer there could be for this song.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: