opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 05. Forty-Six & 2
User Name
Password
Old 12-21-2004, 08:52 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Bible Reference

I just recalled something from my "Bible Thumping" days. In the book of Numbers chapter 35, it explains 40, 6 and 2. They are three seperate numbers contrary to some people's belief's of 46 and 2.

Numbers 35:6 "And among the cities which ye shall give to the Levites there shall be six cities for refuge, which ye shall appoint for the man-slayer, that he may flee thither: and to them ye shall add forty and two cities."

In a nut shelll 40, 6 and 2 means refuge. Put that in the song and it makes a hell of a lot of sense.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:55 PM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

Re: Bible Reference

If you read the entire chapter my thought makes more sense.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:48 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

So those people that come to my door to give me bibles, have finally made their way to the forums. At least they are catching up with the rest of the world finally. God Help Us.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:15 PM   #4
Walker of Dissonant Worlds

Bincount™: 770

He's just stating his thoughts on the song asshole.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:52 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-MeO-AmT
So those people that come to my door to give me bibles, have finally made their way to the forums. At least they are catching up with the rest of the world finally. God Help Us.
word fool. _Gang sings, Gang signs_

"I would have much rathered Jesus being hanged, that way, all Christians would wear nooses around their necks."~Kapoo
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 02:42 PM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Two Cities, man slayer? can you give a generalization of what the chapter is about , sounds mystical?
Old 01-07-2005, 01:13 PM   #7
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Whoa.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:06 PM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

Here is a link for the NIV version of Numbers 35.

http://bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?book_id=4&chapter=35&version=31

There are a few things that refuge could mean in terms of the the song, but i truly think this is what Maynard ment by fourty-six & two.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:22 AM   #9
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Then go for it.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:17 AM   #10
On Probation

Bincount™: 2

Or 46 & 2 could have to do with chromosomes like Maynard said. The chromosome arrangement of 46 + 2 is known as the Christ Consciousness. Presently, humans have a chromosome arrangement of 44 + 2. "46&2" seems to be obviously about evolving to a higher level of consciousness, or. . . I guess(if I were stupid) I would go with the the Biblical coincidence theory of interpreting the song.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:42 PM   #11
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 136

I'm strongly against the bible, and the christian bible and Tool are two things for me that could not be farther apart. If there's any meaning of refuge, it's from christianity and the bible towards something more meaningful.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:03 AM   #12
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 2723

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstajduh
WOW. Awesome first post, matthewx.

Now comes the question, refuge from what?
The chapter and verses he's refering to, are what God is telling Israel to do as far as judging the people. The "cities of refuge" for the "manslayer" is a place that someone who 'accidently' killed someone can go for amnesty from the family/friends of the person that he killed. He had to stay within those boundaries for 7 years, I think it is, and then he can go back to his home, and the mourners of his accidental victim aren't allowed to touch him. Plus I guess they figured that 7 years is plenty of time for the mourners to get over the dead. However, if the "manslayer" leaves the confines of the refuge city for any reason before those 7 years, and the family/friends of the dead guy see him on the street, then they can kill his ass with no guilt on their hands. So there you have it.

To matthewx: Interesting theory man. One problem I found with it though: Thatverse claims that "6" cities are for refuge. Out of 46 and 2, so 54 cities all together. How does that equal 46 & 2 meaning refuge? Wouldn't that mean that 6 means refuge?

And really, for the whole formula to work, wouldn't the verses have to out of the 5th book of the bible(46 & 2 is track 5 of Ænima), chapter 46, verse 2? Unfortunately, the book of Deuteronomy doesn't have have 46 books, nor does chapter 4 have 62 verses. Ah, fuck it.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:22 PM   #13
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad
I'm strongly against the bible, and the christian bible and Tool are two things for me that could not be farther apart. If there's any meaning of refuge, it's from christianity and the bible towards something more meaningful.
wow that was funny
Old 01-24-2005, 05:24 PM   #14
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-MeO-AmT
and this too- thats a funny couple of sentances- I like the 'god help us' at the end there...

lol you anti christian whatever you guys are
Old 06-22-2005, 04:54 PM   #15
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 88

I dont think this is right because from the passage, it seems like there will be 6 cities of refuge, and they will develop into 48 cities. That would be 6, then 40+2. The six most definitely comes first, not the forty.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

Interesting theory.
But it brings up even more questions...
I know Maynard refers to the Bible a lot in his lyrics...but isn't he..well..not a Christian?
And even if this Bible verse has something to do with this song...what does that have to do with the meaning of the song as a whole?
Yeah it explains 46 & 2...but what about the rest of it...?
Old 12-09-2006, 07:32 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretforyourfigure462 View Post
Interesting theory.
But it brings up even more questions...
I know Maynard refers to the Bible a lot in his lyrics...but isn't he..well..not a Christian?
And even if this Bible verse has something to do with this song...what does that have to do with the meaning of the song as a whole?
Yeah it explains 46 & 2...but what about the rest of it...?
Don't have to like something to hold some form of respect for it. He refers to mythology in 'Orestes' but it doesn't mean he believes in the gods of old. Rough analogy, I know.

As for the rest of the song, you got me. I'll leave the thinking to you smart folks.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: