Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Sublimity
05-05-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InertUniformity View Post

10,000 Days, is it about his mom? of course he will sound sincere about that but has anyone ever tried listening to that song w/o the vocals? Its waaay more badass when u jsut listen to the jam that Danny, Adam and Justin put together. The rest of the album just feels emotionally flat to me...Jaded even. I think even MJK recognizes this in the song Jambi - and i think i have heard him mention a few times how writing music has helped him heal a lot. Well...god damn it.

My point is that the band - I think MJK in particular - might be at a good stage in his life in which he doesnt have as much to be angry about anymore, isnt that a nice thought?! I mean just look at puscifer and try to tell me that that project is cathartic for him in any way other than financially.
10,000 Days has grown on me a lot, and now I love it (though still not as good as Lateralus and Aenima). There's no way anyone can say it sucks. Musically, it's one of their most complex albums yet. Especially when you consider what Justin and Danny do in songs like Jambi and Rosetta Stoned. I watched some covers on Youtube and had not realized just how complex the songs from Days were. Musically, they just get better and better. Justin and Danny continue to be almost superhuman, and Adam grooves right along with them. I think Maynard is, unfortunately, the weakest link in the album, but I still like his voice, and his lyrics are good, just a bit different. Conceptually, it's all over the place, though, which I think is its major weakness. It jumps from a jammin' song like Jambi into Wings.

And yeah, I think MJK has reached a new kind of happiness. At least, Lateralus was overall a positive album. 10,000 Days is a bit of a regression, yet Puscifer is damn happy, and he was enjoying those interview. I'm hoping he sees Tool as something entertaining and enjoys it in the future. Of course, I like the dark songs from Undertow and Aenima, but Lateralus is considered to be Tool's best album, so clearly fans will buy positive too.

I'm looking forward to what they may have in store. I've gotten over my brief pessimism. I would like to hear something such as Triad again: a long instrumental piece showing how well the musicians work together.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Gandhi
Old 05-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #721
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: New Album

Quote:

10,000 Days, is it about his mom? of course he will sound sincere about that but has anyone ever tried listening to that song w/o the vocals? Its waaay more badass when u jsut listen to the jam that Danny, Adam and Justin put together. The rest of the album just feels emotionally flat to me...Jaded even. I think even MJK recognizes this in the song Jambi - and i think i have heard him mention a few times how writing music has helped him heal a lot. Well...god damn it.

My point is that the band - I think MJK in particular - might be at a good stage in his life in which he doesnt have as much to be angry about anymore, isnt that a nice thought?! I mean just look at puscifer and try to tell me that that project is cathartic for him in any way other than financially.
10,000 Days has grown on me a lot, and now I love it (though still not as good as Lateralus and Aenima). There's no way anyone can say it sucks. Musically, it's one of their most complex albums yet. Especially when you consider what Justin and Danny do in songs like Jambi and Rosetta Stoned. I watched some covers on Youtube and had not realized just how complex the songs from Days were. Musically, they just get better and better. Justin and Danny continue to be almost superhuman, and Adam grooves right along with them. I think Maynard is, unfortunately, the weakest link in the album, but I still like his voice, and his lyrics are good, just a bit different. Conceptually, it's all over the place, though, which I think is its major weakness. It jumps from a jammin' song like Jambi into Wings.

And yeah, I think MJK has reached a new kind of happiness. At least, Lateralus was overall a positive album. 10,000 Days is a bit of a regression, yet Puscifer is damn happy, and he was enjoying those interview. I'm hoping he sees Tool as something entertaining and enjoys it in the future. Of course, I like the dark songs from Undertow and Aenima, but Lateralus is considered to be Tool's best album, so clearly fans will buy positive too.

I'm looking forward to what they may have in store. I've gotten over my brief pessimism. I would like to hear something such as Triad again: a long instrumental piece showing how well the musicians work together.

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
InertUniformity's Avatar InertUniformity
05-06-2010, 02:26 PM

Yeah 10,000 doesnt "suck" per se. I just think as a total package its kind of a let down. Lateralus was great bc the whole artistic direction of the album was so damn cohesive. I think that a lot of the concepts touched upon in Lateralus are about as positive and "happy" you are going to get with this band. The album artwork went w the music so well too... 10,000 days art work felt like old news. To be fair though, all I really care about are new tunes... album artwork is secondary.

Also forgot to mention Salival. This really is one of my favorite albums ever - its such a f***n trip. I really want the band the throw caution to the wind and just come out with an album like this again. Psychedeliac is kind of an understatement.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #722
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

Yeah 10,000 doesnt "suck" per se. I just think as a total package its kind of a let down. Lateralus was great bc the whole artistic direction of the album was so damn cohesive. I think that a lot of the concepts touched upon in Lateralus are about as positive and "happy" you are going to get with this band. The album artwork went w the music so well too... 10,000 days art work felt like old news. To be fair though, all I really care about are new tunes... album artwork is secondary.

Also forgot to mention Salival. This really is one of my favorite albums ever - its such a f***n trip. I really want the band the throw caution to the wind and just come out with an album like this again. Psychedeliac is kind of an understatement.
05-07-2010, 07:22 AM

Suck, absolutely not. There was even a time when I was so thoroughly enjoying the fact that I had "new Tool!!!" to rock/space/groove out to that if asked at the time I would have said it's totally on par with their other albums. Now after a couple years have passed, allowing it sink into an equal playing field w/ the masterworks preceding it, I don't feel it entirely lives up to the standard of growth I've come to hold each new tool album to have over the one before it.

I guess I agree w/ the people saying it's a somewhat scattershot effort. Not in terms of having sucky song, but just being rather thematically unrelated and somewhat motif'-less (Ænima, despite not being as tangibly coalesced as Lateralus, has an undeniable motif' throughout). However, all this talk belies the fact that I love the album and it's no exception to the fact that, if my desert island situation allowed for...say 15-20 albums (sort of a lot i know, but i've never been good at choosing 3 albums to listen to for the rest of eternity) all of Tool's albums would be present.

Now to actually address the thead, something I'd like to see on the new/next/hopefully actually coming album is the return of having more than seven independant musical ideas. Truthfully no album since Undertow has had more than nine "independant", stand-alone songs.

The way I figure it, If u were to press special (and stupid for anything other than illustrating this point) copies of Tool's albums that absorbed/deleted the segues (no need to flame on this I love the seques and feel they're essential) it would break down like this:

Undertow-10 tracks (Disgustipated love it or hate it contains music and I consider the core of it to be a short song)

Ænima-9 tracks

Lateralus-7 or 9 depending on how whether u see D/R/T to be 1 song or 3

10,000 Days-definitely 7

making 10k days, track-wise, the closest to an E.P. since Opiate.

Now I'm not arguing that Undertow is a better album because it has more songs, that's just silly. I'm just saying that when the game plan is an album every 5 yrs, 7 songs just seems a pinch too few. Like seriously 9 or i suppose even 8 would satisfy this particular 'bitch' of mine.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:22 AM   #723
Level 3 - Talker

Suck, absolutely not. There was even a time when I was so thoroughly enjoying the fact that I had "new Tool!!!" to rock/space/groove out to that if asked at the time I would have said it's totally on par with their other albums. Now after a couple years have passed, allowing it sink into an equal playing field w/ the masterworks preceding it, I don't feel it entirely lives up to the standard of growth I've come to hold each new tool album to have over the one before it.

I guess I agree w/ the people saying it's a somewhat scattershot effort. Not in terms of having sucky song, but just being rather thematically unrelated and somewhat motif'-less (Ænima, despite not being as tangibly coalesced as Lateralus, has an undeniable motif' throughout). However, all this talk belies the fact that I love the album and it's no exception to the fact that, if my desert island situation allowed for...say 15-20 albums (sort of a lot i know, but i've never been good at choosing 3 albums to listen to for the rest of eternity) all of Tool's albums would be present.

Now to actually address the thead, something I'd like to see on the new/next/hopefully actually coming album is the return of having more than seven independant musical ideas. Truthfully no album since Undertow has had more than nine "independant", stand-alone songs.

The way I figure it, If u were to press special (and stupid for anything other than illustrating this point) copies of Tool's albums that absorbed/deleted the segues (no need to flame on this I love the seques and feel they're essential) it would break down like this:

Undertow-10 tracks (Disgustipated love it or hate it contains music and I consider the core of it to be a short song)

Ænima-9 tracks

Lateralus-7 or 9 depending on how whether u see D/R/T to be 1 song or 3

10,000 Days-definitely 7

making 10k days, track-wise, the closest to an E.P. since Opiate.

Now I'm not arguing that Undertow is a better album because it has more songs, that's just silly. I'm just saying that when the game plan is an album every 5 yrs, 7 songs just seems a pinch too few. Like seriously 9 or i suppose even 8 would satisfy this particular 'bitch' of mine.
elusivEuphoria's Avatar elusivEuphoria
05-07-2010, 08:02 AM

I see it more as 6 songs, honestly. [Again, for the record, I enjoy 10,000 days and I've made my views on it very clear already, so i wont go into that]. The songs that are two or three part-ers that are compositionally tied together, I've always regarded them as a single piece. So...

Vicarious
Jambi
Wings>Days
The Pot
Keys>Stoned
Intension>Right in Two

Intension and Right in Two probably stand on their own the easiest so I can see your total of 7. But obviously total track-time of these single pieces still sets the whole album apart from an EP.

7:06
7:28
17:24
6:21
14:57
16:16

Love em or Hate em, thats 3 monster sized tracks, and 3 beefy "radio-friendly" tracks. I'm not making an argument either way, I'm just kind of throwing this out there.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #724
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860

I see it more as 6 songs, honestly. [Again, for the record, I enjoy 10,000 days and I've made my views on it very clear already, so i wont go into that]. The songs that are two or three part-ers that are compositionally tied together, I've always regarded them as a single piece. So...

Vicarious
Jambi
Wings>Days
The Pot
Keys>Stoned
Intension>Right in Two

Intension and Right in Two probably stand on their own the easiest so I can see your total of 7. But obviously total track-time of these single pieces still sets the whole album apart from an EP.

7:06
7:28
17:24
6:21
14:57
16:16

Love em or Hate em, thats 3 monster sized tracks, and 3 beefy "radio-friendly" tracks. I'm not making an argument either way, I'm just kind of throwing this out there.
JOHNBLAZE
05-07-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCP View Post
Because he quite clearly thinks that every comment in a Tool forum should be positive, which is stupid. Anyway, i'm out of here, be back in a few months.
Actually I dont think every comment should be positive, I just dont understand why anyone would come to a site dedicated to TOOL(and a forum dedicted to 10,000 days) and bitch and moan about this album, when it is the shit.

If you dont think so then list an album that is better that was put out since Lataralus (the best TOOL album by the way)
Old 05-07-2010, 10:30 AM   #725
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCP View Post
Because he quite clearly thinks that every comment in a Tool forum should be positive, which is stupid. Anyway, i'm out of here, be back in a few months.
Actually I dont think every comment should be positive, I just dont understand why anyone would come to a site dedicated to TOOL(and a forum dedicted to 10,000 days) and bitch and moan about this album, when it is the shit.

If you dont think so then list an album that is better that was put out since Lataralus (the best TOOL album by the way)
mr3rdeye420
05-07-2010, 10:52 AM

Ya, many people do forget bout salival...

Salival Fucking rocked (for it being bout half the length of a normal tool album)

I mean pushit live dude... holy fuck, that drum solo by danney, is 100% eargasm.

Merkaba is amazing, I have yet to listen to it, while on shrooms.. But I look forward to that day.

3rd eye live fucking rocks (so does what tim howell says pre-song :p )

nd just the rest of the album kicks sack.

I hope the bands been tripping a bit, for this new album..

Cuz could you imagine what they could be capable of now? I mean wings pt1-2, and intension/Ri2 are probably my favorite songs to trip to/ get uber stoned 2 for all eternity lol
Old 05-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #726
On Probation

Bincount™: 34

Ya, many people do forget bout salival...

Salival Fucking rocked (for it being bout half the length of a normal tool album)

I mean pushit live dude... holy fuck, that drum solo by danney, is 100% eargasm.

Merkaba is amazing, I have yet to listen to it, while on shrooms.. But I look forward to that day.

nd just the rest of the album kicks sack.

I hope the bands been tripping a bit, for this new album..

Cuz could you imagine what they could be capable of now? I mean wings pt1-2, and intension/Ri2 are probably my favorite songs to trip to/ get uber stoned 2 for all eternity lol
05-07-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3rdeye420 View Post
Merkaba is amazing, I have yet to listen to it, while on shrooms.. But I look forward to that day
This should be a right of passage for fans of the band. Sorry to get off topic guys, but this song is just rediculous. Shrooms or weed pick ur poison. I love getting insanely ripped and pretending that I am at a concert watching this song. Lame? Yes. But its also awesome.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #727
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Merkaba is amazing, I have yet to listen to it, while on shrooms.. But I look forward to that day
This should be a right of passage for fans of the band. Sorry to get off topic guys, but this song is just rediculous. Shrooms or weed pick ur poison. I love getting insanely ripped and pretending that I am at a concert watching this song. Lame? Yes. But its also awesome.
05-07-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
lulwot
Old 05-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #728
On Probation

Bincount™: 472

Quote:
lulwot
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
05-07-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post
I apologize for this novel... Oh and Sublimity, this isn't an attack on you. I respect your views... you just kind of got me going on a tangent here so bare with me.

Not sure I agree with this pattern here. Considering the themes and concepts in the albums are very much related to Maynard's lyrics, I'll focus this all on Maynard (sorry). Opiate and Undertow (to me) are about anger and resentment; And analyzing where all the negativity is coming from and furthermore, expressing it. Letting it all out. As Maynard has said, it was about letting out that "primal scream". Aenima was about change. Maynard says the title is actually a combination of the two words Enema and Anima. I think for Maynard, it was a conscious effort on his part to create some lyrics that would activate some desire to grow and move passed all the anger and resentment (per interviews from Maynard during this time period). Lateralus is really a continuation of this idea. I see it as marching steadily onward down the path of personal enlightenment and growth. And much in the same way that Undertow ends with a song that fosters change [Flood], Lateralus ends with a song that seems to resolve this journey of change, so-to-speak [Reflection].

Flood - (paraphrased) This ground is not the rock I thought it to be. I was wrong, this changes everything. Water is rising up on me, thought the Sun would come deliver me, but the truth has come to punish me instead.

Reflection - (pulled directly from TDN) And as I pull my head out I am without one doubt
Don't wanna be down here feeding my narcissism.
I must crucify the ego before it's far too late
I pray the light lifts me out
Before I pine away.

Then notice here he switches from talking about himself, to talking all of us

So crucify the ego, before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical,
And you will come to find that we are all one mind
Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
Just let the light touch you
And let the words spill through
And let them pass right through
Bringing out our hope and reason ...
before we pine away.

10,000 Days, I do agree, seems like a grab bag. There are some songs that reach back to the days of Opiate/Undertow and address some unresolved disappointment and resentment [Vicarious, The Pot]. Some are fairly personal for Maynard [Jambi, Wings]... and if you ask me are a bit Aenima-esque. Then Intension and Right in Two (for better or for worse) seem to be a 2006 version of Disposition>Reflection. But where D>R is about looking inward toward the self, Int>Right in Two is about looking outward at all of mankind. This being said, if there is any "theme" to 10,000 Days... it's really about tying up some loose ends, but at the same time saying "some of this stuff never ends". Then of course there is Keys>Stoned... personally I love this song (yes, singular... its really just one song. we all know it). It's just as open to interpretation as any other Tool song, It's long, complex and a damn good rock song (if you ask me. i know there are those here that hate it, along with all of 10,000 Days). Plus it's fairly non-personal for Maynard.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think Tool is past a breaking point now... I expect the next album to be fairly similar to 10,000 Days. I expect a lot of songs to be very similar to Rosetta Stoned. I also expect at least one "Hooker with a Penis" type song as I'm sure Maynard may want to address some of his harsher critics as of late. Plus i think the resistance to him taking on his wine venture has built up some stress for him that he's looking to let out. Not to mention he may be somewhat disenchanted with Tool as of late and perhaps we can expect a song like The Patient or Schism, which if you ask me are about Maynards relationship to the band and to his music.

LONG STORY short... The next album will be a lot like 10,000 Days (Evil Joe Barresi is supposedly producing it after all) and Maynard will sing about his wine. Orrrrrr I'm completely wrong and they've had some strange concept album on the sidelines for a while now and this time around is their chance to get it done, it will be more epic than any other Tool record to date and will put Lateralus to shame. Take your pick.

Again, sorry for this being so long and Maynard-centric but it was really the only way to make it all tie together.
Good interps. My guess is that the new album will actually be quite a bit different....each one they've done has a different vibe and feeling to it and has progressed, or at least transformed their style. I recall one of the newsletters mentioning Danny was actually out to some rainforest recording new sounds for his mandala pads which they definitely haven't done before. And in regards to The Patient and Schism, I always thought The Patient was more aimed at the fans...although it could be both the band and fans or just the one...nonetheless, Schism was confirmed in the Tool Revolver magazine that it was written about the struggles between the band members...even though the lyrics were written in a broad enough sense to be malleable to any relationship.

Hopefully for all of our sakes, your latter guess on the outcome of the new album is the correct one.

On a side note, saw Iron Man 2 tonight and it was fucking awesome!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #729
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
I apologize for this novel... Oh and Sublimity, this isn't an attack on you. I respect your views... you just kind of got me going on a tangent here so bare with me.

Not sure I agree with this pattern here. Considering the themes and concepts in the albums are very much related to Maynard's lyrics, I'll focus this all on Maynard (sorry). Opiate and Undertow (to me) are about anger and resentment; And analyzing where all the negativity is coming from and furthermore, expressing it. Letting it all out. As Maynard has said, it was about letting out that "primal scream". Aenima was about change. Maynard says the title is actually a combination of the two words Enema and Anima. I think for Maynard, it was a conscious effort on his part to create some lyrics that would activate some desire to grow and move passed all the anger and resentment (per interviews from Maynard during this time period). Lateralus is really a continuation of this idea. I see it as marching steadily onward down the path of personal enlightenment and growth. And much in the same way that Undertow ends with a song that fosters change [Flood], Lateralus ends with a song that seems to resolve this journey of change, so-to-speak [Reflection].

Flood - (paraphrased) This ground is not the rock I thought it to be. I was wrong, this changes everything. Water is rising up on me, thought the Sun would come deliver me, but the truth has come to punish me instead.

Reflection - (pulled directly from TDN) And as I pull my head out I am without one doubt
Don't wanna be down here feeding my narcissism.
I must crucify the ego before it's far too late
I pray the light lifts me out
Before I pine away.

Then notice here he switches from talking about himself, to talking all of us

So crucify the ego, before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical,
And you will come to find that we are all one mind
Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
Just let the light touch you
And let the words spill through
And let them pass right through
Bringing out our hope and reason ...
before we pine away.

10,000 Days, I do agree, seems like a grab bag. There are some songs that reach back to the days of Opiate/Undertow and address some unresolved disappointment and resentment [Vicarious, The Pot]. Some are fairly personal for Maynard [Jambi, Wings]... and if you ask me are a bit Aenima-esque. Then Intension and Right in Two (for better or for worse) seem to be a 2006 version of Disposition>Reflection. But where D>R is about looking inward toward the self, Int>Right in Two is about looking outward at all of mankind. This being said, if there is any "theme" to 10,000 Days... it's really about tying up some loose ends, but at the same time saying "some of this stuff never ends". Then of course there is Keys>Stoned... personally I love this song (yes, singular... its really just one song. we all know it). It's just as open to interpretation as any other Tool song, It's long, complex and a damn good rock song (if you ask me. i know there are those here that hate it, along with all of 10,000 Days). Plus it's fairly non-personal for Maynard.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think Tool is past a breaking point now... I expect the next album to be fairly similar to 10,000 Days. I expect a lot of songs to be very similar to Rosetta Stoned. I also expect at least one "Hooker with a Penis" type song as I'm sure Maynard may want to address some of his harsher critics as of late. Plus i think the resistance to him taking on his wine venture has built up some stress for him that he's looking to let out. Not to mention he may be somewhat disenchanted with Tool as of late and perhaps we can expect a song like The Patient or Schism, which if you ask me are about Maynards relationship to the band and to his music.

LONG STORY short... The next album will be a lot like 10,000 Days (Evil Joe Barresi is supposedly producing it after all) and Maynard will sing about his wine. Orrrrrr I'm completely wrong and they've had some strange concept album on the sidelines for a while now and this time around is their chance to get it done, it will be more epic than any other Tool record to date and will put Lateralus to shame. Take your pick.

Again, sorry for this being so long and Maynard-centric but it was really the only way to make it all tie together.
Good interps. My guess is that the new album will actually be quite a bit different....each one they've done has a different vibe and feeling to it and has progressed, or at least transformed their style. I recall one of the newsletters mentioning Danny was actually out to some rainforest recording new sounds for his mandala pads which they definitely haven't done before. And in regards to The Patient and Schism, I always thought The Patient was more aimed at the fans...although it could be both the band and fans or just the one...nonetheless, Schism was confirmed in the Tool Revolver magazine that it was written about the struggles between the band members...even though the lyrics were written in a broad enough sense to be malleable to any relationship.

Hopefully for all of our sakes, your latter guess on the outcome of the new album is the correct one.

On a side note, saw Iron Man 2 tonight and it was fucking awesome!!!
05-07-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearandloathing View Post
Ok, im tired of all this "last album" doom and gloom. while i realize they're not getting any younger, i dont think after this album/tour they're going to say "you know what? we have plenty of good music put out and we dont need more money, lets just quit. wheres the goddamn bottle opener?"

On the other hand, if this isn't their last one they run the risk of becoming the new rolling stoned. plus, if you make a parabolic chart of their albums(no EP) the next one will complete said chart.

in my opinion we shouldnt worry about such trivialties. tool's gonna do whatever the fuck tool decides to do

and to elusive, we can only hope.
Only problem with this theory is that they are still under contract for at least one more album
Old 05-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #730
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Ok, im tired of all this "last album" doom and gloom. while i realize they're not getting any younger, i dont think after this album/tour they're going to say "you know what? we have plenty of good music put out and we dont need more money, lets just quit. wheres the goddamn bottle opener?"

On the other hand, if this isn't their last one they run the risk of becoming the new rolling stoned. plus, if you make a parabolic chart of their albums(no EP) the next one will complete said chart.

in my opinion we shouldnt worry about such trivialties. tool's gonna do whatever the fuck tool decides to do

and to elusive, we can only hope.
Only problem with this theory is that they are still under contract for at least one more album
05-08-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBLAZE View Post

If everyone here agreed with you, what would be the point of having a discussion board?

A better album than 10,000 days since 2001? hmm there are so many, if I had to choose just one..... Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
Old 05-08-2010, 12:51 AM   #731
CCP
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBLAZE View Post

If everyone here agreed with you, what would be the point of having a discussion board?

A better album than 10,000 days since 2001? hmm there are so many, if I had to choose just one..... Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
05-08-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
??

Salival is ~75min long, granted maybe only 65min or so is actually balls out Tool chaos, but still a pretty beefy "supplementary album" if I can use that term.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:19 AM   #732
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
??

Salival is ~75min long, granted maybe only 65min or so is actually balls out Tool chaos, but still a pretty beefy "supplementary album" if I can use that term.
05-08-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post

I hope so too, honestly. I liked 10,000 days, but I'd like to see more of a cohesive output from the band this time around. I really hope they go crazy. Develop some story that is told by the whole album or something. It wouldn't have to be so entrenched in Maynard's emotional battles/struggles/triumphs; Granted that's always added a lot of validity to the subject matter... but I'd like to think that Tool can create a solid album at this point that involves a consistent theme, without Maynard running down the laundry list of things he's pissed off about. I mean the man seems to be in a better state of mind these days, I can only imagine he's probably wanting to steer away from the whole "healing process". This is why I say that I think more and more Tool songs will be like Rosetta Stoned. Not in vocal style, or even instrumentation or composition, but mainly just the lyrics. Maynard seems to really enjoy himself when he performs that song; strips down to his underwear, screams into a megaphone, runs around in circles. He just seems to be willingly more energetic whenever the set comes to that song.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #733
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:

I hope so too, honestly. I liked 10,000 days, but I'd like to see more of a cohesive output from the band this time around. I really hope they go crazy. Develop some story that is told by the whole album or something. It wouldn't have to be so entrenched in Maynard's emotional battles/struggles/triumphs; Granted that's always added a lot of validity to the subject matter... but I'd like to think that Tool can create a solid album at this point that involves a consistent theme, without Maynard running down the laundry list of things he's pissed off about. I mean the man seems to be in a better state of mind these days, I can only imagine he's probably wanting to steer away from the whole "healing process". This is why I say that I think more and more Tool songs will be like Rosetta Stoned. Not in vocal style, or even instrumentation or composition, but mainly just the lyrics. Maynard seems to really enjoy himself when he performs that song; strips down to his underwear, screams into a megaphone, runs around in circles. He just seems to be willingly more energetic whenever the set comes to that song.
Sublimity
05-08-2010, 07:49 AM

Maynard doesn't have to write angst anymore. He can have fun with it; whatever it takes for him to enjoy it.

That said, would anyone else buy a completely instrumental CD? The music on 10K is my favorite part. Just look at D/R/T or Lateralus. The music is a major reason I like them as much as I do.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #734
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Maynard doesn't have to write angst anymore. He can have fun with it; whatever it takes for him to enjoy it.

That said, would anyone else buy a completely instrumental CD? The music on 10K is my favorite part. Just look at D/R/T or Lateralus. The music is a major reason I like them as much as I do.

05-08-2010, 08:35 AM

Absolutely I would buy. I'd also like to hear some songs (new or old) where maynard is just vocalizing and not singing any words. Similar in a way to the lustmord remixes of schism and parabola.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #735
Level 10 - Vehement

Absolutely I would buy. I'd also like to hear some songs (new or old) where maynard is just vocalizing and not singing any words. Similar in a way to the lustmord remixes of schism and parabola.
Sublimity
05-08-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah, vocal effects would be interesting. I bet they could pull it off.

Not that I don't appreciate Maynard's lyrics... I'm just saying, they're good enough that an instrumental album would be just as cool as anything else they've done.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #736
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Yeah, vocal effects would be interesting. I bet they could pull it off.

Not that I don't appreciate Maynard's lyrics... I'm just saying, they're good enough that an instrumental album would be just as cool as anything else they've done.

tummy_sticks
05-08-2010, 11:14 PM

Perhaps the elephant in the room is Joe Barresi's production technique and how it doesn't really suit Tool's style.

Meh, I guess they like it.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #737
On Probation

Perhaps the elephant in the room is Joe Barresi's production technique and how it doesn't really suit Tool's style.

05-09-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummy_sticks View Post

To each their own...I find myself stuck on the fence. I definitely like 10k Days but as some have said, I just feel like it's missing something....it doesn't have the same effect as Undertow, Aenima OR Lateralus (which I thought was a MASTERPIECE, by the way). It's really hard to pinpoint and I like the record but there's just something about it that doesn't hit me like ANY of their other albums....something's missing
Old 05-09-2010, 12:13 AM   #738
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

To each their own...I find myself stuck on the fence. I definitely like 10k Days but as some have said, I just feel like it's missing something....it doesn't have the same effect as Undertow, Aenima OR Lateralus (which I thought was a MASTERPIECE, by the way). It's really hard to pinpoint and I like the record but there's just something about it that doesn't hit me like ANY of their other albums....something's missing
05-09-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Well said. That's how I feel too. I really like the songs on it, but it's not as cohesive or as well put together as the others. It doesn't flow as well. Not to mention overall it's fairly bitter/negative, which coming after Lateralus is just a bit surprising. I listened to Undertow recently after a while, and I was surprised at how well it flowed from Intolerance to Flood, which then led into Aenima quite nicely.

But I actually think Puscifer may be a good thing. We might get some more positive songs the next time around.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #739
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Well said. That's how I feel too. I really like the songs on it, but it's not as cohesive or as well put together as the others. It doesn't flow as well. Not to mention overall it's fairly bitter/negative, which coming after Lateralus is just a bit surprising. I listened to Undertow recently after a while, and I was surprised at how well it flowed from Intolerance to Flood, which then led into Aenima quite nicely.

But I actually think Puscifer may be a good thing. We might get some more positive songs the next time around.

05-09-2010, 08:37 AM

If were going to talk production technique, I guess my question would be; How much effect do you think a producer has on the final product? Clearly Tool steps into the studio having their songs finished, if not, close to it. I guess I've always assumed that tool also has some idea of track order going into the studio or at least certainly has the final say on it. So that really deminishes the producers effect to recording technique, does it not? How well they capture each members instruments/tones and how they work the mix in recording. I swear I heard someone smart say (maybe it was david botrill) the best producers are ideally the most transparent ones. Tool have used Silvia Massy, Botrill, and Baressi. I think the Botrill albums are definitely their strongest (Aenima, Lateralus), but is that really because of the production? Would those albums have been any less incredible in the hands of another producer?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #740
Level 10 - Vehement

If were going to talk production technique, I guess my question would be; How much effect do you think a producer has on the final product? Clearly Tool steps into the studio having their songs finished, if not, close to it. I guess I've always assumed that tool also has some idea of track order going into the studio or at least certainly has the final say on it. So that really deminishes the producers effect to recording technique, does it not? How well they capture each members instruments/tones and how they work the mix in recording. I swear I heard someone smart say (maybe it was david botrill) the best producers are ideally the most transparent ones. Tool have used Silvia Massy, Botrill, and Baressi. I think the Botrill albums are definitely their strongest (Aenima, Lateralus), but is that really because of the production? Would those albums have been any less incredible in the hands of another producer?
Hodge
05-09-2010, 10:55 AM

the best producer in the world couldn't make 10kdays a good album
Old 05-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #741
Smokes poutine every day

Bincount™: 6367

CCP
05-09-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
Truth
Old 05-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #742
CCP

Quote:
Truth
fearandloathing's Avatar fearandloathing
05-09-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
disagree.

jesus' power could make it good.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:25 PM   #743

Bincount™: 14

Quote:
disagree.

05-09-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseToYourHalo View Post
I live in this area of MA and everyone knows Lord Jesus Christ. He’s a black transvestite with 5 foot long dreadlocks, wears caked on make-up, mini skirts and stilettos and usually doesn’t get a second look when walking the streets of Northampton. When he was hit, he was wearing a half shirt with daisy duke shorts and flip flops. The mother of the young woman who hit him said there were streaks of make up and red lipstick across the hood of the car.

Thankfully, Christ only had minor injuries. He’s survived far worse.
Sure about that?
Old 05-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #744
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseToYourHalo View Post
I live in this area of MA and everyone knows Lord Jesus Christ. He’s a black transvestite with 5 foot long dreadlocks, wears caked on make-up, mini skirts and stilettos and usually doesn’t get a second look when walking the streets of Northampton. When he was hit, he was wearing a half shirt with daisy duke shorts and flip flops. The mother of the young woman who hit him said there were streaks of make up and red lipstick across the hood of the car.

Thankfully, Christ only had minor injuries. He’s survived far worse.
Sure about that?
Tim-Æ
05-10-2010, 09:37 PM

I can tell you exactly what I don't like about 10,000 Days.

idiotic lyrics for songs like Rosetta Stoned and Vicarious. Came off as silly. It was like listening to one of Maynard's Puscifer tracks he took out of the recycling bin after editing. i'll stick with the less retarded lyrics of Lateralus.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #745
Level 1 - Lurker

idiotic lyrics for songs like Rosetta Stoned and Vicarious. Came off as silly. It was like listening to one of Maynard's Puscifer tracks he took out of the recycling bin after editing. i'll stick with the less retarded lyrics of Lateralus.
05-11-2010, 06:22 AM

[bitter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-Æ View Post

[/bitter]

You forgot these.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:22 AM   #746
Level 10 - Vehement

[bitter]

Quote:

[/bitter]

You forgot these.
05-11-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:

On the topic of lyrics: You could definitely make a case that a lot of the lyrics on lateralus were retarded, pseudo-spiritual rubbish. Especially in songs like Reflection and Lateralus. Personally I dont think that the lyrics to Rosetta Stoned or Vicarious are much worse then this.

On Aenima, the lyrics to 46 & 2 can be taken as a corny attempt to spout off about Carl Jung. Stnkfist lyrics are so literal and silly that ppl have to convince themselves that the song is a metaphor.

On Undertow, the lyrics to sober essentially mean nothing, the rest of the album is about butt secks

Still I like the lyrics on those albums more than 10kd bc of the delivery. With lyrics I adhere to the philosophy that CONTENT<DELIVERY. The simple fact is that Maynard sounds a lot angrier and thus more genuine on earlier albums. On 10kd the vocals kind of are in the background and it seems like he is reaching from the bottom of the barrell to find things to rant about. I think this is understandable bc he isnt as angry anymore - which is good for him but results in meh lyrics.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #747
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

On the topic of lyrics: You could definitely make a case that a lot of the lyrics on lateralus were retarded, pseudo-spiritual rubbish. Especially in songs like Reflection and Lateralus. Personally I dont think that the lyrics to Rosetta Stoned or Vicarious are much worse then this.

On Aenima, the lyrics to 46 & 2 can be taken as a corny attempt to spout off about Carl Jung. Stnkfist lyrics are so literal and silly that ppl have to convince themselves that the song is a metaphor.

On Undertow, the lyrics to sober essentially mean nothing, the rest of the album is about butt secks

Still I like the lyrics on those albums more than 10kd bc of the delivery. With lyrics I adhere to the philosophy that CONTENT<DELIVERY. The simple fact is that Maynard sounds a lot angrier and thus more genuine on earlier albums. On 10kd the vocals kind of are in the background and it seems like he is reaching from the bottom of the barrell to find things to rant about. I think this is understandable bc he isnt as angry anymore - which is good for him but results in meh lyrics.
05-12-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Sure about that?
It's possible a stylish black drag queen could have improved 10,000 Days.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #748
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13

Quote:
Sure about that?
It's possible a stylish black drag queen could have improved 10,000 Days.
05-12-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Just a rumor but I've heard that the next album will be a double-disc produced by Rick Rubin and will feature A LOT of guest appearances.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #749
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

Just a rumor but I've heard that the next album will be a double-disc produced by Rick Rubin and will feature A LOT of guest appearances.
05-12-2010, 01:12 PM

they will sound more like shpongle this coming album, you heard it here first.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #750
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

they will sound more like shpongle this coming album, you heard it here first.
05-12-2010, 02:03 PM

Barresi did 10,000 Days right?

Why doesnt f***n Adam Jones produce the album? Is that practical?
Old 05-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #751
Level 8 - Vociferous

Barresi did 10,000 Days right?

Why doesnt f***n Adam Jones produce the album? Is that practical?
05-12-2010, 05:22 PM

What about Billy Howerdel? He's got a studio. Or Les Claypool? That'd be something, huh?
Old 05-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #752
Level 10 - Vehement

What about Billy Howerdel? He's got a studio. Or Les Claypool? That'd be something, huh?
tummy_sticks
05-13-2010, 05:37 AM

Bob Rock is the only feasible producer for this album
Old 05-13-2010, 05:37 AM   #753
On Probation

Bob Rock is the only feasible producer for this album
Michał's Avatar Michał
05-13-2010, 01:10 PM

Aren't you afraid of the possibility that he's gonna insist on turning next Tool's work into mind-crushing wall of sound, in-your-face but really meaningless and empty inside and hard to get trough?
I always admired recording subtleties on Lateralus - awesome stereo, good dynamics, neutral EQ for those who can appreciate it. Nobody was afraid to begin The Grudge / The Patient etc in a quiet manner, even though some lame ass would skip the record if no one is yelling from the first second.
While I don't like Death Magnetic by Metallica really that much, I listened to it a bit and it's a terribly convincing example of what a rock/metal record should not sound like.. Damn I can use more than 6dB of dynamics, and I don't have to listen to the record on the bus.. ;)
Old 05-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #754

Bincount™: 35

Aren't you afraid of the possibility that he's gonna insist on turning next Tool's work into mind-crushing wall of sound, in-your-face but really meaningless and empty inside and hard to get trough?
I always admired recording subtleties on Lateralus - awesome stereo, good dynamics, neutral EQ for those who can appreciate it. Nobody was afraid to begin The Grudge / The Patient etc in a quiet manner, even though some lame ass would skip the record if no one is yelling from the first second.
While I don't like Death Magnetic by Metallica really that much, I listened to it a bit and it's a terribly convincing example of what a rock/metal record should not sound like.. Damn I can use more than 6dB of dynamics, and I don't have to listen to the record on the bus.. ;)
05-13-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
Lies.

10,000 Days is still best album ever.

/fanboi.
Nah....decent album but by FAR the best....mod speaking lies...banned IMO...lol, j/k
Old 05-13-2010, 10:55 PM   #755
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
Lies.

10,000 Days is still best album ever.

/fanboi.
Nah....decent album but by FAR the best....mod speaking lies...banned IMO...lol, j/k
05-14-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michał View Post
I was being sarcastic and Senile Magnetic was produced by Rick Rubin
Old 05-14-2010, 12:33 AM   #756
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michał View Post
I was being sarcastic and Senile Magnetic was produced by Rick Rubin
Sublimity
05-14-2010, 07:24 AM

My problem with 10,000 Days is that the drums and bass seem lost in the background on a lot of songs. They're much easier to hear in Lateralus IMO. The guitar and vocals seem further "up" in the music, according to my headphones at least, and even with Maynard's vocals a little lower in this album.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #757
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

My problem with 10,000 Days is that the drums and bass seem lost in the background on a lot of songs. They're much easier to hear in Lateralus IMO. The guitar and vocals seem further "up" in the music, according to my headphones at least, and even with Maynard's vocals a little lower in this album.

Rolo's Avatar Rolo
05-14-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
On 10kd the vocals kind of are in the background and it seems like he is reaching from the bottom of the barrell to find things to rant about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimity View Post
My problem with 10,000 Days is that the drums and bass seem lost in the background on a lot of songs.
LOL, Go Adam go!
Old 05-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #758
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
On 10kd the vocals kind of are in the background and it seems like he is reaching from the bottom of the barrell to find things to rant about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimity View Post
My problem with 10,000 Days is that the drums and bass seem lost in the background on a lot of songs.
LOL, Go Adam go!
05-14-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
LOL, Go Adam go!
Its true though.

We heard about it leading up to the release of 10,000 Days. It was to be "Adam's album" from a production standpoint. Before the release, all of the reviews pointed out how the guitar is much more "to the fore". After, I can remember reading a lengthy article about some sort of "pipebomb" microphone that he used, as well as his use of the talk-box.

I would say that the drums don't fade into the background as much as the vocals do. If that were the case I think I don't think I could listen to the album - as a producer how can you not make Danny Carey the focal point of the groups sound?

Bass is another story, I really like justins sound better on Lateralus. On 10,000 Days Maynard sounds vapid to me.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #759
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
LOL, Go Adam go!
Its true though.

We heard about it leading up to the release of 10,000 Days. It was to be "Adam's album" from a production standpoint. Before the release, all of the reviews pointed out how the guitar is much more "to the fore". After, I can remember reading a lengthy article about some sort of "pipebomb" microphone that he used, as well as his use of the talk-box.

I would say that the drums don't fade into the background as much as the vocals do. If that were the case I think I don't think I could listen to the album - as a producer how can you not make Danny Carey the focal point of the groups sound?

Bass is another story, I really like justins sound better on Lateralus. On 10,000 Days Maynard sounds vapid to me.
05-17-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Its true though.

Agreed. I think 10k was "Adam's album" in many ways. I think they worked with Barresi because of his guitar-minded production technique and probably entered the studio with that mindset. I don't have a problem with the bass or drum mixes. There's no doubt the vocals are too deep in the mix, and that is probably the most-cited complaint I've heard about the album. The first time I listened to 10k Days my most immediate thought was: 'Damn, Maynard has such a powerful voice and the producer completely buried it. Foolish.'

As some have pointed out, though, blaming the producer really only goes so far. Nothing gets out without the band's approval. The band was familiar with Baresi's track record and sound when they hired him. They gave the mix a green light before the album was released. Presumably, they wouldn't have done so if they weren't happy with it.

So while it's easy to point the finger at the producer, it's not like there was a gun to the head of the band members and they were coerced into putting out an album they didn't want to release.

If Barresi is in fact producing the new album, will the mixes be similar? Hard to say. Aenima and Lateralus had the same production team, and they don't sound anything alike in any way, shape or form, imo.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:53 AM   #760
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Its true though.

Agreed. I think 10k was "Adam's album" in many ways. I think they worked with Barresi because of his guitar-minded production technique and probably entered the studio with that mindset. I don't have a problem with the bass or drum mixes. There's no doubt the vocals are too deep in the mix, and that is probably the most-cited complaint I've heard about the album. The first time I listened to 10k Days my most immediate thought was: 'Damn, Maynard has such a powerful voice and the producer completely buried it. Foolish.'

As some have pointed out, though, blaming the producer really only goes so far. Nothing gets out without the band's approval. The band was familiar with Baresi's track record and sound when they hired him. They gave the mix a green light before the album was released. Presumably, they wouldn't have done so if they weren't happy with it.

So while it's easy to point the finger at the producer, it's not like there was a gun to the head of the band members and they were coerced into putting out an album they didn't want to release.

If Barresi is in fact producing the new album, will the mixes be similar? Hard to say. Aenima and Lateralus had the same production team, and they don't sound anything alike in any way, shape or form, imo.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply