opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Salival
User Name
Password
Old 05-14-2003, 03:02 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Adam's Guitar

For all the guitar knowers...

In a lot of songs, Adam has an efffect on his guitar that creates a sound several octaves higher than the original sound.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, listen to the part of Third Eye (Live) ... "shrouding all the ground around me..."

It's noticeable there and as well near the end... when it gets quiet before the conclusion "Chasing a trail of smoke and reason..."

I Love the sound that's made, even though it would hurt my ears if i had it; I want it.

But i Have no clue what it's called or where I can find out about it.

If you know, please tell me!
Old 05-14-2003, 04:56 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8
I bought a Zoom 505 2 multi effects processor. It has two such effects on it . One is an octave higher and one is half an octave. I can look up the actual name if you want. Just private message me or something
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 08:09 AM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

There are multi-octave effects pedals out there... but he also uses a lot of pinch harmonics in Third Eye and actually, most Tool songs. If this is what you're thinking of, I'll post a follow up with a larger explanation.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:42 PM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

on gibson les pauls, among others (i.e. not my fender), the strings pass through the bridge and go into the body, you can pick the strings there, and it should make that sound
he uses this on other songs like Eulogy and maybe Forty Six &2, im not sure
Old 05-17-2003, 09:27 PM   #5
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 64
There's some tab notes off of tooltabs.net that might point you in the right direction:

http://www.tooltabs.net/tabs/tool/gu.../third_eye.htm

I'm still piddling with Justin's whammy effect off of Disposition which messes with octave changes via the expression pedal.

-Tant
Old 05-17-2003, 11:14 PM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 35
ya, its a whammy.
theres a pantera song where the guitarist pulls it up reeeal high with the tremolo and uses the whammy up as well to make this evil totally high pitchrd scream noise
Old 05-18-2003, 01:05 PM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

I still hear something.

There's some kind of effect in there.

I have an Ibanez (however not a Gibson...) that's strings go all the way through, and I've messed with picking, and i've gotten some of the pinch-effects,

But nothing like that.

Listen to it around 11:50 on the Salival Third Eye.
Old 06-07-2003, 05:47 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
That "shrouding all the ground around me part" (and that part later on) is not pinch harmonics, it's just Adam plucking between the bridge and the tailpiece of his Les Paul.
He's also doing that in the beginning of Eulogy.

In almost every other Tool song he's using pinched harmonics, which is a tricky picking technique. You'll probably find an explaination for that somewhere on the web.

And the Whammy that was mentioned earlier is used by Justin only. Adam has never used a Whammy in any Tool songs. He sticks to delay, flanger and wah most of the time.

Last edited by Marius; 06-07-2003 at 05:55 PM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: