opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #121
john dough

Bincount™: 13353
Re: Maynard/chino performing passenger at 10k tour?

chino's more of a groaner/screamer/singer.. although on the first album he did some stuff that was close to rapping..
Old 06-13-2006, 04:38 PM   #122
Suicide Booth ID: 3

Bincount™: 9261

oh i read it all now, chino from the deftones
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 05:30 PM   #123
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200

Yeah, they didn't play it at Download, the guy beside me yelled "FUCK!" when Maynard said it was Max. Summed up how I felt.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 05:34 PM   #124
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

why?

headup is a way better song than passenger
Old 06-13-2006, 05:37 PM   #125
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200

I disagree. I really wanted to hear passenger. But i still enjoyed Headup.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 06:47 PM   #126
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 150

I'm not sure I'd have been able to handle myself if they had played Passenger
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 10:12 PM   #127

Bincount™: 0

Chino and Maynard on stage at the same time...and touring in Australia...now I'm really delusional!

Last edited by Sin-D; 06-14-2006 at 07:12 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 12:18 AM   #128
. Anthropophagite .

Bincount™: 553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp
At Download, mid way through the Deftones set which was right before Tool, Chino said something like "I want to introduce you all to a friend of mine", at which point most of the first 50 rows of the crowd shat.

Then he brought out Max from Soulfly for a performance of Headup and pretty much everyone was gutted.
thats rough man. what a tease, and they were probably conscious of it.

Passenger is a great song cuz Maynard totally owns Chino on his own album.
Same would happen live.
There should really be a video for this song, would be hilarious.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 02:51 AM   #129
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

But at Roskilde festival in Denmark in 01 they did it together, though i have no idea if they did any other Passengers on the tour (haha,"did passengers", get it?). History always repeats itself, and now theyre both at the same friggin festival at the same friggin day and chino cant have too many friends and maynard must appreciate the nostalgy and symbolsim in "completing the circle" on the same stage, many of the same audience etc... Maynard, complete the perfect circle damnit!! :P
Old 06-14-2006, 05:08 AM   #130
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 174

They did it during the "Summersault" tour in Canada in 2000.

It was a big package tour with Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Our Lady Peace, APC and Deftones (for a few dates) and they did it. And from what I heard it was fucking incredible.

Maynard just doesnt seem like the nostalgic type, I just dont see him doing it for fun. Which is a shame because it really is a mind blowing song....and I think saying Maynard would pwn Chino is stupid. The strength of the song is both their voices go soooooooooo well together.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 05:22 AM   #131
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 751

i really like that song. it would be great to see it live. who is touring with Tool on their full tour?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 05:31 AM   #132
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit4Demolition
i really like that song. it would be great to see it live. who is touring with Tool on their full tour?
Ashlee Simpson
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 07:43 AM   #133
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
But SSS is right, Maynard would eat Chino.
That'd be one hell of a meal
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-15-2006, 06:33 AM   #134
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Tool and Deftones played in Portugal, in teh same day, same festival, but no maynard on passenger.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:50 AM   #135
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: Oz tour dates - anybody know anything?

I wouldn't like to see Tool at the BDO...As much as the Big Day Out rocks, Tool would be much better in a stand-alone concert. I only pray that one day I see them live....

Penny
Old 06-17-2006, 04:46 AM   #136
suitably pretentious

Bincount™: 1455
Re: Oz tour dates - anybody know anything?

pray they come to wellington

pray
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-17-2006, 10:39 AM   #137
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31
Your opinion on setlist changes for fall touring

Well, I think we all thought that once this short "wamr-up" North American tour concluded and the band headed off to Europe that we would start to see a full setlist being played at the shows. However this has not been the case. It seems they have more or less stuck to the same songs/set length as the poposed wamr-up tour, leading me to speculate on whether or not we will indeed eventually see a set like for the Lateralus tour, where the band played for up to 2 hours a night. Obviously the stage show has already been discussed briefly, as the band are planning to unveil a new set-up for the fall U.S leg, but as for the set lengths I am surprised that they have not yet expanded while in Europe, particularly at the arena shows. Also, the implementation of a relatively unchanging setlist has been noteworthy, with 'Right In Two' being the only real addition, while in place they have dropped 'Eon Blue Apocalypse/The Patinet' and at some gigs 'The Pot' as well. That's why I think that we shouldn't expect a drastic change for the U.S tour. They have obviously only rehearsed a certain number of songs, and probably the only one that they have indeed rehearsed to play is WFM/10,000 Days because of what some people have been saying about hearing the soundchecks and whatnot. Realisitically, if they were to play that song live on the next tour, it would take up roughly 20 minutes. Add that to the approx. 90 they are doing now, throw in an encore break, and some extended parts in Schism and Stinkfist (like they've been doing) and there's a 120 minute setlist. This notion kind of disappoints me, because I am still hoping that they will mix things up, but it seems the most plausible. They don't have much breaks between touring now to rehearse, the band will want to rest on their off-time, so for those hoping to hear old tunes I think we are out of luck. This is the approach I think they should have taken: prior to the tour, go back and rehearse as many songs as possible, re-learning them and whatnot, and then when the tour comes rotate them in for different shows. Metallica are a perfect example of this; throughout the course of their St. Anger tour they ended playing almost every song ever put on album, changing the setlist almost nightly while keeping in a handful of "regulars". This would be an ideal paproach for Tool. Yes, their songs are generally longer, more involved, more complicated, but there's a tradeoff due to the sheer lack of volume in Tool's catalogue. How many actual songs would they have to learn to go through their 5 albums? Roughly 40. They had the whole of the last few months before the tour to prepare while the album was being mixed, etc. to re-learn their own songs. For a band of Tool's caliber this would not take probably more than a week. How cool would it be to go to a show, hear "Eulogy", "Undertow, and "Intension" in addition to the regular set, then the next night they play "Part Of Me", "Flood", and "H." ? I think this would be to everyone's benefit.

What's your opinion on this?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #138
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 52
Re: Your opinion on setlist changes for fall touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMF
Well, I think we all thought that once this short "wamr-up" North American tour concluded and the band headed off to Europe that we would start to see a full setlist being played at the shows. However this has not been the case. It seems they have more or less stuck to the same songs/set length as the poposed wamr-up tour, leading me to speculate on whether or not we will indeed eventually see a set like for the Lateralus tour, where the band played for up to 2 hours a night. Obviously the stage show has already been discussed briefly, as the band are planning to unveil a new set-up for the fall U.S leg, but as for the set lengths I am surprised that they have not yet expanded while in Europe, particularly at the arena shows. Also, the implementation of a relatively unchanging setlist has been noteworthy, with 'Right In Two' being the only real addition, while in place they have dropped 'Eon Blue Apocalypse/The Patinet' and at some gigs 'The Pot' as well. That's why I think that we shouldn't expect a drastic change for the U.S tour. They have obviously only rehearsed a certain number of songs, and probably the only one that they have indeed rehearsed to play is WFM/10,000 Days because of what some people have been saying about hearing the soundchecks and whatnot. Realisitically, if they were to play that song live on the next tour, it would take up roughly 20 minutes. Add that to the approx. 90 they are doing now, throw in an encore break, and some extended parts in Schism and Stinkfist (like they've been doing) and there's a 120 minute setlist. This notion kind of disappoints me, because I am still hoping that they will mix things up, but it seems the most plausible. They don't have much breaks between touring now to rehearse, the band will want to rest on their off-time, so for those hoping to hear old tunes I think we are out of luck. This is the approach I think they should have taken: prior to the tour, go back and rehearse as many songs as possible, re-learning them and whatnot, and then when the tour comes rotate them in for different shows. Metallica are a perfect example of this; throughout the course of their St. Anger tour they ended playing almost every song ever put on album, changing the setlist almost nightly while keeping in a handful of "regulars". This would be an ideal paproach for Tool. Yes, their songs are generally longer, more involved, more complicated, but there's a tradeoff due to the sheer lack of volume in Tool's catalogue. How many actual songs would they have to learn to go through their 5 albums? Roughly 40. They had the whole of the last few months before the tour to prepare while the album was being mixed, etc. to re-learn their own songs. For a band of Tool's caliber this would not take probably more than a week. How cool would it be to go to a show, hear "Eulogy", "Undertow, and "Intension" in addition to the regular set, then the next night they play "Part Of Me", "Flood", and "H." ? I think this would be to everyone's benefit.

What's your opinion on this?
My opinion is that you are incredibly confused about a lot of things.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-17-2006, 11:01 AM   #139
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10

It would be cool if they changed things up rather than just played the same string of more-or-less greatest hits every night, but I don't see it happening.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #140
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

If they open up with Flood my life is complete.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #141
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 467

Nothing from 'Opiate' will be played. You heard it here first.

If they play anything from 'Undertow' other than 'Sober', I'll really be surprised.

Besides, they need to make some room in the set so they can play WFM/10,000 Days.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-17-2006, 11:54 AM   #142
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishman1

If they play anything from 'Undertow' other than 'Sober', I'll really be surprised.

Besides, they need to make some room in the set so they can play WFM/10,000 Days.

They didnt really change the setlists on the lateralus tour either, until the last leg in which they played 3rd eye and Cold and Ugly, 4 degrees was mixed in on the first leg too..So yeah, should add a couple more for the us tour thats about it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-17-2006, 11:56 AM   #143
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Well, I agree. But the Metallica comparison falls short, as Metallica has yet to play more than half of their (AJFA)/Load/Reload/St. Anger material live. On their last tour, they relied upon Ride/Master and The Black Album very heavily: they mixed it up more than ever, but it just became an oldies show instead. I 'd like Tool to pull a Pearl Jam: that band, at any concert, could play any song they have ever written.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-17-2006, 12:07 PM   #144
Level 4 - Thinker

If they are doing Right in Two, and throw in all of Wings, and keep Lateralus, I'll be happy. Personally I'm hoping that The Patient makes a comeback on the setlist since I haven't heard it live in person yet. Other than that, I think the setlist is pretty great, although I'm still not sure how i feel about Aenema closing the show out... and for whatever reason I don't think they'll end with 10000 Days. I'd still keep Lateralus as the closer.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-17-2006, 01:14 PM   #145
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by evfain
If they are doing Right in Two, and throw in all of Wings, and keep Lateralus, I'll be happy. Personally I'm hoping that The Patient makes a comeback on the setlist since I haven't heard it live in person yet. Other than that, I think the setlist is pretty great, although I'm still not sure how i feel about Aenema closing the show out... and for whatever reason I don't think they'll end with 10000 Days. I'd still keep Lateralus as the closer.

i agree. The Patient is excellent live, but Aenema closing the show? I'd rather it be something epic like 10,000 Days or Lateralus again.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:24 PM   #146
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolish
Well, I agree. But the Metallica comparison falls short, as Metallica has yet to play more than half of their (AJFA)/Load/Reload/St. Anger material live. On their last tour, they relied upon Ride/Master and The Black Album very heavily: they mixed it up more than ever, but it just became an oldies show instead. I 'd like Tool to pull a Pearl Jam: that band, at any concert, could play any song they have ever written.
Yes, i completely agree, but Tool is slightly more complex.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-17-2006, 02:10 PM   #147
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishman1

They will be doing WFM/10K on the US fall tour for sure.

I NEED to see RIGHT IN TWO live.

I could totally do without Sober, Schism, The Patient, 46X2, Stinkfist. Schism sounded like garbage in SF. Sober is just the most boring song they could possibly play live. They don't need to do it anymore. Nobody cares.

How about they throw in some H, Eulogy, 4 degrees, Jerk-Off.

I dunno. They could mix it up a little. Oh well.

I would love to see the entire 10K album performed live. That's all I really care about hearing anyways. I've seen everything else.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-17-2006, 02:23 PM   #148
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

completely agree that sober is a complete waste of time live. it is too simple and lacks energy. i also think that stinkfist has run its course. its an amazing song live especially when they play the extended version, but at every single show? they need to drop a few songs and replace them with eulogy, H, or pushit.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-17-2006, 04:54 PM   #149
On Probation

Bincount™: 2489
Re: US Tour discussion

I really want to see pushit live, h., and prison sex.. and of course the grudge.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-17-2006, 05:42 PM   #150
Banned.

Bincount™: 267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlerf
I really want to see pushit live, h., and prison sex.. and of course the grudge.
I got to see them play the original version of Pushit on the Lateralus tour. Completely mindblowing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #151
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatchunk
I got to see them play the original version of Pushit on the Lateralus tour. Completely mindblowing.
When I saw the Lateralus tour they played H. and Flood that night\m/
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-20-2006, 01:07 PM   #152
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 50
New Tour Dates Announced

FRI-AUG-5 FRESNO/SELLAND ARENA
SAT-AUG-18 HONOLULU/BLAISDELL CONCERT HALL
SUN-AUG-19 HONOLULU/BLAISDELL CONCERT HALL
TUE-AUG-22 VANCOUVER/GM PLACE
THU-AUG-24 CALGARY/PENGROWTH CENTER
FRI-AUG-25 EDMONTON/REXALL CENTER
SUN-AUG-27 SEATTLE/THE GORGE
TUE-AUG-29 SALT LAKE CITY/E-CENTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolband
Here's a few confirmed dates, with tickets going on sale this weekend (except for the Honolulu shows, I believe). Keep checking as there will be A LOT MORE SHOWS ADDED once they're confirmed... as well as some other things that should make certain people very happy.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-20-2006, 01:10 PM   #153
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 49
Re: New Tour Dates Announced

I wonder what the other things are?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-20-2006, 01:10 PM   #154
the inside man

Bincount™: 20548

i noticed on the army they took down the san diego show...odd
Old 06-20-2006, 01:12 PM   #155
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by etaipo
I wonder what the other things are?
TA Presale?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-20-2006, 01:14 PM   #156
wraithin' it with da ancients

Bincount™: 16535

more european dates?
Old 06-20-2006, 01:20 PM   #157
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 402

Salt Lake... yay yay
We are eternal... without judgement...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-20-2006, 01:25 PM   #158
dorkus maximus
(the t.d.n crybaby)

Bincount™: 832

None of these are in michigan or toledo so i wont be going to these but some info for those going to these shows.

Edmonton, AB Rexall Place = Seating Capacity: Approximately 13,000 for Concerts
Calgary, AB Pengrowth Saddledome = Seating Capacity: 20,100
Vancouver, BC General Motors Place = Seating Capacity: Just over 21,000
Gorge Amphitheatre = Seating Capacity: 20,000
FRESNO/SELLAND ARENA = Seating Capacity: 11,300
SALT LAKE CITY/E-CENTER = Seating Capacity: 12,000
HONOLULU/BLAISDELL CONCERT HALL = Seating Capacity: 7,700 persons
HONOLULU/BLAISDELL CONCERT HALL = Seating Capacity: 7,700 persons

Last edited by slicknickshady; 06-20-2006 at 01:32 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-20-2006, 06:05 PM   #159
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Man, that REALLY sucks, i like that song... Damn this Maynard-guy, one should think he would want to "mingle with the less priveledged" once in a while :P

Time will tell, im seeing them both next saturday when theyre playing two hours apart, and god damn how im looking forward to my first tool-concert :D ...and my second on the following tuesday :D:D
Old 06-26-2006, 03:43 AM   #160
Banned.

Bincount™: 212
WILL TOOL COME TO NEW ZEALAND?

i'm getting impatient, seeing all these new venues posted is freaking me out, they better come and do 3 dates here & not just play Big Day Out festival. I would have thought they'd play here after Japan like last time.
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: