opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-16-2006, 03:44 PM   #81
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 575
Re: 2006/09/14 - Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseLogic View Post
I'm tired of this shit. You go to a concert to listen to the music and watch the visuals. You don't go to their concert to see Maynard thrusting his thighs.
You know, I'm tired of THIS shit. I go to a TOOL concert to see Tool... Not fucking theatrical rock. I don't want to see Maynard acting like he is ridding a horse, that's not funny or interesting.

I want to see Tool. I DON'T want to see Kiss. If YOU want to see Kiss, fine, but if you also want to trash me for speaking up, you can shove it up your ass. Tool is not an amazing band because they put on great fireworks at their show; they are a great band because of their music. In previous tours it was all about the music, nothing more. This tour, obviously, is not.

And to whoever said this tour is about interpretation:
I thought the other tours were MUCH more open to interpretation than whatever this tour is.

Last edited by AloneOnceAgain97; 09-16-2006 at 03:47 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 05:22 PM   #82
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

------"I want to see him in his underwear, cross-dressed, painted, or curled into a ball letting lose".-------

That sounds like a theatrical rock performance to me. I like that they looked liked some "normal" dudes THIS year. I enjoyed the changed; For however long it might last? They seem to always surprise me when they come to town. I'll be on this roller coaster for ever... unless they turn into Metallica!!

I'm not trying to trash anyones opinion, Just trying to make sence of what they did this year. The music sounded great as always, and I think they can do no wrong so far. TO EACH HIS OWN !!

LUV LUV
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 07:40 PM   #83
Level 8 - Vociferous

I'd hardly call what Maynard used to do on stage theatrical. Perhaps you should brush up on your definition.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:01 PM   #84
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Words cannot describe my first Tool experience! I thought Nine Inch Nails earlier this year was unbelievable and this show BLEW IT OUT OF THE WATER!

My dream came true. First time I see them they play the perfect setlist (Wings For Marie). In fact it was almost too much to take in.

:D fucking....UNREAL. An experience.

Last edited by MelbaToast454-1; 09-17-2006 at 11:13 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 08:20 PM   #85

i have to admit this to everyone... my first tool show and my first man crush, MJK is the coolest fucking guy in the world. I wanted to go to the show and watch all the guys in the band... and i did watch the guys but i could not help keeping my eye on maynard those dances he did at times are mesmorizing.. simply amazing.. in awe the whole night but my moment has got to be lateralus... HOLLY SHIT.. i have never heard live music like that and will probably never hear live music like that... Thank you so much Tool for everything..
Peace
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 09:56 PM   #86
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AloneOnceAgain97 View Post
I'd hardly call what Maynard used to do on stage theatrical. Perhaps you should brush up on your definition.
You wouldn't call doing a concert in bras and panty hose with a painted white face theatrical? And you know what? If you don't want to see Maynard do his dances, don't look at them. I think they're hilarious, entertaining, and add to the concert experience. If you're just there for the music, how about you close your eyes, while the rest of us laugh our asses off?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-16-2006, 10:04 PM   #87
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

did anyone else see camella? she was sitting with the guys in the sound booth thing in the back of the pit, just chillin and smokin a cig
Old 09-17-2006, 05:21 AM   #88
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AloneOnceAgain97 View Post
You know, I'm tired of THIS shit. I go to a TOOL concert to see Tool... Not fucking theatrical rock. I don't want to see Maynard acting like he is ridding a horse, that's not funny or interesting.

I want to see Tool. I DON'T want to see Kiss. If YOU want to see Kiss, fine, but if you also want to trash me for speaking up, you can shove it up your ass. Tool is not an amazing band because they put on great fireworks at their show; they are a great band because of their music. In previous tours it was all about the music, nothing more. This tour, obviously, is not.

And to whoever said this tour is about interpretation:
I thought the other tours were MUCH more open to interpretation than whatever this tour is.
I suppose people are entitled to their opinions but to compare this TOOl concert to a KISS concert is totally, completely,idiotic!!!!!! Maynard - you were perfect...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 07:31 AM   #89
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrack29 View Post
You wouldn't call doing a concert in bras and panty hose with a painted white face theatrical? And you know what? If you don't want to see Maynard do his dances, don't look at them. I think they're hilarious, entertaining, and add to the concert experience. If you're just there for the music, how about you close your eyes, while the rest of us laugh our asses off?
When a band's singer dresses in something out of the norm, that does not mean it's theatrical, but nice try. I see you found that little cowboy dance hilarious. I'm glad Maynard has knocked his humor down a few notches so that the common mind can now find the concerts funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcleveland View Post
I suppose people are entitled to their opinions but to compare this TOOl concert to a KISS concert is totally, completely,idiotic!!!!!! Maynard - you were perfect...
It's ok, you don't have to put your nose up the band's ass. They don't read the forums. You can stop sucking up now.

Last edited by AloneOnceAgain97; 09-17-2006 at 07:34 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 11:34 AM   #90
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Sorry for not posting this sooner, as I've been out of town and away from many computers since the concert.

It's great that there is so much of a positive response to this show on here, because wow it was a great concert. Not everyone is going to like every show, of course, but I just wish we could keep the negativity to a minimum and lets not egg on the people who just seem to acting negative so they can get under people's skin.

That aside, this was my fourth Tool show, and the energy was incredible. I was immediately reminded why I love this band. Much better than BOTH shows they had previously in the metroplex, this definitely had the momentum of an Aenima-era show but with the mood and aura the band has made for themselves in these present times. Before the lasers showed up, though, I thought this show was lacking a bit visually, especially when compared to the awesome Alex-grey-inspired artwork and giant backdrops they had during the last tour. The lasers really gave the show an incredibly retro vibe and seem to solidify this band's place as this generation's Pink Floyd, at least in terms of visual spectacle.

The crowd was great and very responsive. And they had good reason to be -- from the moment Maynard introduced Stinkfist by saying "shazbot," I knew this concert was going to hit all the right notes.

And it did. And so did Maynard. He told us he was sick, but I couldn't tell. He started off a little bit stationary, but as the show moved on, he really started getting more into the show, just as others have mentioned. I was ecstatic that we got to hear the Wings duo. It was definitely the highlight for me -- other than the otherworldly (no pun intended) rendition of Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned, which reaffirmed it as my undisputed favorite tune on 10KDays. The visuals to accompany the excellent performance of the Judith Marie tribute were great. I think we got the best of it on the balcony though, expecially those of us in the balcony directly in front of the stage.

The instrumentalists, especially Adam, believe it or not, were spotless. Each of the other shows I've been to, Adam has hit something or other sour. But this time, wow, it was flawless, other than a slight sound malfunction in Jambi right before the outro that I don't think was his fault (EDIT: the apparent sound malfunction was actually on Vicarious, right after the first chours... funny how your memory plays tricks on you). Danny isn't human, I'm sure of it, and Justin's incredible talents were marred by what seemed a lacking bottom end, which was a shame because it seemed, from what I COULD hear clearly, that he was really having an "on" night.

And on that note, the only drawback to the show seemed to be the sound. Not of the band's fault, it seemed to just be a symptom of the arena. Way too big for a band with as intricate a sound as Tool's, a lot of the nuances were lost. Would be perfect for something like Motley Crue, but when each little note of feedback and every last tom hit matters, well, sometimes a huge, cavernous buidling just isn't the right fit.

All in all, an excellent Tool show where it just seemed like the guys were enjoying themselves and were definitely feeding off the overwhelmingly positive crowd's energy.

I hope they swing back on a second leg cause I'd definitely be seeing them again, and hopefully they'll play Right in Two and a few more of their classics.

I'd better stop writing now, 'cause I've...

Gotta piss
Gotta piss
Gotta piss

Last edited by guitarpete987; 09-17-2006 at 03:16 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 11:48 AM   #91
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Section 106 Row W Seat 3. I really enjoyed this show. I think those of you who are complaining SUCK! It was awesome!!!! TOOL has spoken Dallas is better than San Antonio, GO MAVS!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #92

just to clear the record i got a message from some guy i am not queer... just was saying had a man crush joking around, meaning i could not keep my eyes off the dances they were very entertaining.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 05:59 PM   #93
SRF
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 50

I am very happy to hear all the great reviews of the show. Seems like I am the only person that didnt have the time of there life. Unfortunately I have to say I am dissapointed with my experience but by no fault of Tool. Although I am a long time Tool fan this was my first concert. I have been looking forward to this tour and promised myself that I would see them this time around. I bought 4 tickets to Dallas since it was the closest venue(8 hour drive). I had been getting myself ready for the show for months and did my best to make my first Tool show perfect. I bought a hotel room just 3 blocks from the AAC and invited 3 of my friends to come along. I even whipped up a batch of kind bud brownies =). We arrived at the hotel with enough time to do a little pre game and headed to AAC at about 6:30. Everyone was really excited and even more so when we got to our seats (sec. 10 row L seats 1-4). We were very close and had a nice unobstructed view of the stage. The mood was great and the stadium began to fill. Isis really did a good job of getting the energy going. I was a bit disappointed to see so many people walk around while they were playing. I mean they arent my favorite band either but to walk around during a performance is rude no matter how you look at it. Anyway, I was ecstatic when Tool took the stage and began playing Stinkfist, and thats when the first asshole showed up. This guy walked right up to my seat and stood up in it. I looked up at him and told him to get down. He asked if I was planning on sitting in it and I said of course not. He couldn't understand why I didnt want someone I didnt know rocking out 2 inches from my back in my chair that I payed 60 dollars for. I finally got him out of my seat after arguing for at least 10 minutes. In the midst of arguing with asshole number 1 another asshole stood up in the chairs right in front of mine. I couldnt see at all. I asked him to sit down and he began arguing with me as well. This went on for a while. He tried to convince me to stand in my chair and I wouldnt because I have more respect for the people around me then that. When I finally got him to step down he just turned and argued with me more and eventually stood back up in the chair facing me singing the wrong lyrics and dancing like an idiot. All the while asshole one is still trying to take my seat again. I totally lost it at this point and grabbed a security guard and asked him to remove the assholes. They didnt even have armbands to be on the floor in the first place. By the time the assholes were removed it was the end of 10k days and I was so angry I couldnt think straight. These meatheads robbed me of more than half of the show I had so long awaited. 'You thieving bastards. You have turned my blood cold and bitter, beat my compassion black and blue'. These idiots had no sense of reason, no reverence for the experience we were allowed to be a part of, and absolutely no respect for personal space. I was cooled off some by the time Tool took the stage again and was able to really enjoy Lateralus. Its was amazing. The stage, the band, the lights,(the gong!). Everything I had done up until that point, all the planning, driving, even dealing with assholes, all of it was worth seeing that one song. Vicarious was great as well and Aenima was going good until the people rushed the stage. I can halfway understand running to the stage on the last song but I didnt really enjoy the chairs getting shoved into the back of my legs. The 2 and a half songs I got to enjoy were everything I had hoped for. Im just disappointed that these people would ruin the rest of a beautiful experience for me. Oh I forgot to mention the pedafile that walked up and rubbed my arm and tried to talk to me. This 50 something pedafile mustache wearing asshole asked who was playing tonight. He didnt even know who Tool was. I just shoved him into the isle and told him to stay away. I swear at any moment I knew someone was gonna walk up to me and tell me I had been Punk'd or something but they never showed. I guess it could have been that damn trickster god who planned this on me after he buried some dinosaur fossils. Idk, but I will stay as positive as I can and just remember that I will always have Lateralus.

Oh and if you assholes are out there... I hope you choke on this.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:26 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRF View Post
I am very happy to hear all the great reviews of the show. Seems like I am the only person that didnt have the time of there life. Unfortunately I have to say I am dissapointed with my experience but by no fault of Tool. Although I am a long time Tool fan this was my first concert. I have been looking forward to this tour and promised myself that I would see them this time around. I bought 4 tickets to Dallas since it was the closest venue(8 hour drive). I had been getting myself ready for the show for months and did my best to make my first Tool show perfect. I bought a hotel room just 3 blocks from the AAC and invited 3 of my friends to come along. I even whipped up a batch of kind bud brownies =). We arrived at the hotel with enough time to do a little pre game and headed to AAC at about 6:30. Everyone was really excited and even more so when we got to our seats (sec. 10 row L seats 1-4). We were very close and had a nice unobstructed view of the stage. The mood was great and the stadium began to fill. Isis really did a good job of getting the energy going. I was a bit disappointed to see so many people walk around while they were playing. I mean they arent my favorite band either but to walk around during a performance is rude no matter how you look at it. Anyway, I was ecstatic when Tool took the stage and began playing Stinkfist, and thats when the first asshole showed up. This guy walked right up to my seat and stood up in it. I looked up at him and told him to get down. He asked if I was planning on sitting in it and I said of course not. He couldn't understand why I didnt want someone I didnt know rocking out 2 inches from my back in my chair that I payed 60 dollars for. I finally got him out of my seat after arguing for at least 10 minutes. In the midst of arguing with asshole number 1 another asshole stood up in the chairs right in front of mine. I couldnt see at all. I asked him to sit down and he began arguing with me as well. This went on for a while. He tried to convince me to stand in my chair and I wouldnt because I have more respect for the people around me then that. When I finally got him to step down he just turned and argued with me more and eventually stood back up in the chair facing me singing the wrong lyrics and dancing like an idiot. All the while asshole one is still trying to take my seat again. I totally lost it at this point and grabbed a security guard and asked him to remove the assholes. They didnt even have armbands to be on the floor in the first place. By the time the assholes were removed it was the end of 10k days and I was so angry I couldnt think straight. These meatheads robbed me of more than half of the show I had so long awaited. 'You thieving bastards. You have turned my blood cold and bitter, beat my compassion black and blue'. These idiots had no sense of reason, no reverence for the experience we were allowed to be a part of, and absolutely no respect for personal space. I was cooled off some by the time Tool took the stage again and was able to really enjoy Lateralus. Its was amazing. The stage, the band, the lights,(the gong!). Everything I had done up until that point, all the planning, driving, even dealing with assholes, all of it was worth seeing that one song. Vicarious was great as well and Aenima was going good until the people rushed the stage. I can halfway understand running to the stage on the last song but I didnt really enjoy the chairs getting shoved into the back of my legs. The 2 and a half songs I got to enjoy were everything I had hoped for. Im just disappointed that these people would ruin the rest of a beautiful experience for me. Oh I forgot to mention the pedafile that walked up and rubbed my arm and tried to talk to me. This 50 something pedafile mustache wearing asshole asked who was playing tonight. He didnt even know who Tool was. I just shoved him into the isle and told him to stay away. I swear at any moment I knew someone was gonna walk up to me and tell me I had been Punk'd or something but they never showed. I guess it could have been that damn trickster god who planned this on me after he buried some dinosaur fossils. Idk, but I will stay as positive as I can and just remember that I will always have Lateralus.

Wow that's really terrible. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. at least San Antonio is not where you had your tickets, you would have driven to Dallas for nothing. Where did you drive in from?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 06:41 PM   #95
SRF
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I drove from Hattiesburg Mississippi
Old 09-17-2006, 06:43 PM   #96
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
I drove from Hattiesburg Mississippi
me too...

I got some awesome pics of the smoke and lasers during Wings.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...mokelasers.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...aserclouds.jpg

then some other cool ones...
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...id22/tool2.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...id22/tool9.jpg

Last edited by delysid; 09-17-2006 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: add pics
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 07:34 PM   #97
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
I am very happy to hear all the great reviews of the show. Seems like I am the only person that didnt have the time of there life. Unfortunately I have to say I am dissapointed with my experience but by no fault of Tool.

Wow... terribly sorry that you had such a bad experience. I've dealt with assholes before at concerts, luckily none at Tool shows. Glad you are trying to stay positive. Honestly, the encore alone was worth the price of admission for me, though. They absolutely ripped through all three songs. The biggest injustice is that you didn't get to enjoy the Wings duo. Something tells me that in the future that's going to be about as elusive as Third Eye or Pushit.

Just for that, I'm with you with on the final remark you made. Maybe people like that don't deserve to die, exactly, but they certainly don't deserve to see Tool shows and at least deserve a good near-death experience.

All I can say is try again. Something tells me there will be a second leg when they get back from Europe again.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-17-2006, 07:58 PM   #98
Level 1 - Lurker

My friend and I drove down from Hattiesburg as well. It was the closest show and I didn't feel like waiting for them to get back from Europe.

It was my second favorite Tool show out of them all (My favorite was the Biloxi, MS show). The seats were good, section 111 row P seat 16, great view of the whole stage, projections and lasers. I really enjoyed Rosetta Stoned a lot. Wings for Marie just had my complete attention and I got lost into it. The little twist in Schism was badass. When somone told me they speed up the song I thought it was going to be the whole entire song. Can't wait for the DVD to come out, now that it will most likely have much more live footage.

Last edited by Disposition025; 09-17-2006 at 08:09 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 04:01 AM   #99
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I drove 6 hours to Dallas from Southeast Arkansas with two friends to see this concert. It was well worth it! I've seen several rock concerts in my time and this has got to be rate as one of the best I've ever had the chance to experience. Highlights for me were definitely WFM/10k & Lateralus. If they happen to play Alltel Arena In Little Rock later next year I'll be the first in line for tickets. Rock on.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 05:02 AM   #100
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSecondSun View Post
Didn't Adam's main guitar tech (the pudgy guy with the gut and the kinda long hair) look like Blair? I don't know, it could have been.
That's not Blair... but I guess their overall appearance is somewhat similar. Still... not him though.
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 05:58 AM   #101
Level 1 - Lurker

Section 107, Row B, Seats 3 and 4 (AMAZING VIEW)

Late to post, but I wanted adequate time to reflect on Thursday night's show. I'm a noob to the forums, but not to Tool. Albeit this was only my second show, (first was Lateralus - Dallas, 2001); I have been enjoying their talents since Undertow. It was however, my wife's first TOOL show, and she was awestruck. She turned to me on several occasions during the show and told we how incredible they were. I thought to myself, "I told ya!" You see, there is a little animosity with her regarding TOOL concerts. We were both going to go in 2001, but I renegged at the last minute and she ended up going out of town the week of the show. I bought a floor ticket the day of, and went by myself. She will never let me live that one down. Yep. Pissed!

Here's some ramblings...

ISIS:
Who are these guys? They were great. I really enjoyed their performance. Sound was muddy though. The low drones on the keys when coupled with the bass drowned out the vox, and treble was nowhere to be heard. It was obvious the drummer's kit was not miced well. The cymbal overheads, hi-hat and snare were barely audible. Despite these shortcomings, I found myself wanting more from these guys. Their 30 minute set was too short in my opinion.

TOOL:
Upon entering the arena, I was pleased to see that Danny's kit was not placed too far right of stage. I was concerned that I wouldn't get full view of his power and articulation. Wrong. The kit was perched nicely off center stage. I was transfixed.

During Forty-six and Two I was drumming the entire song on my hips to the amusement of those standing around me. At times I looked back and they were staring at me. Hey, I'm a drummer and I can't help it. (Nothing like practicing your TOOL chops while at the show.) I had worked myself into a writhing trance, when this blasted chick climbs over the seat into our row and trips and falls over into the row below, breaking my rhythm. As I snapped out of it to figure out what the fuck, I noticed that the cannabis had given me cottenmouth and dried my lips to my gums. Nice. I can only imagine my grimmaces as I hammered out the song looking like a undulating harelip.

During Rosetta Stoned, the same chick was back. Same thing, I'm feeling every sound exude it's energy through me, and here she comes climbing over seats. This time she lights in our row right in front of my wife and starts shushing everybody saying, "Everyone just be quiet, just be quiet..." On and on she went, Captain Obvious on the Ecstacy. My wife offers her a drink of ice water, to which she thankfully took. [This was fucking classic...] As the wasted chick begins to drink, my wife tips the cup and douses her with ice water. She then told her to go sit down, chill out and enjoy the music. X-chick then complied like a scolded child and went away.

This show was on par with the best of the best live performances I have ever seen; regardless of MJK's lingering illness. There is little to say about the performance that hasn't been said. My only criticism is the setlist. I would have loved to here Disposition, Right in Two, Eulogy, Undertow, Pushit, or Third Eye. But hey, we got Wings/10K Days. Can't complain too much.

Finally, I have to say that the Dallas crowd seemed very appreciative of the performance, and I think the band acknowledged it. Thanks for the experience guys.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #102
Level 1 - Lurker

oh that stupid chick with the "shhhh!!" came over my seat and about knocked me over twice...control your trip dammit it's not that hard

the show was my 10th going back to undertow...absolute fucking religious experience...i've been going to concerts since the stones' "tatoo you" tour, and have seen all the "greats" up and down the music-world line...saw the dead 37 times...saw van halen with dave 4 times, etc. ad nauseum

this was the best.concert.ever. - blew me away...it's 4 days later and i'm still amped about it...so sorry for those who felt differently...

"schism" sped-up sounded a hell of a lot like iron maiden
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 10:50 AM   #103
SRF
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987 View Post
Wow... terribly sorry that you had such a bad experience. I've dealt with assholes before at concerts, luckily none at Tool shows. Glad you are trying to stay positive. Honestly, the encore alone was worth the price of admission for me, though. They absolutely ripped through all three songs. The biggest injustice is that you didn't get to enjoy the Wings duo. Something tells me that in the future that's going to be about as elusive as Third Eye or Pushit.

Just for that, I'm with you with on the final remark you made. Maybe people like that don't deserve to die, exactly, but they certainly don't deserve to see Tool shows and at least deserve a good near-death experience.

All I can say is try again. Something tells me there will be a second leg when they get back from Europe again.
Yeah it definitely sucks to have missed Wings. I just got the audio and its great. I appreciate whoever put that up. And As far as my final remark I didnt mean it in a literal sense, just thought it was a pretty fitting Tool lyric. I hope your right about the second leg of the tour because Im certainly not letting this be my first and only Tool show.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #104
Level 2 - Poster

Allllllrighty then....Picture THIS if you will...

Just a few corrections and some not yet mentioned. I was Sec 11. Row A. Seat 12.

-Nobody mentioned Maynard doing the "I come in peace" hand sign when he first came out. He said "Shazbot!" \\\///

-What he said directly before The Pot was "F. - Y. - I.....I'm still sick....BUT I FEEL FUCKING GREAT!" I'm guessing this had to do with the emphasis on SUDAFED during Rosetta Stoned.

-Yes Maynard grabbed Justin's ass...and by the look on Justin's face...he liked it.

-During Rosetta Stoned, Maynard was supposed to have a stool because his manager didn't want him bending over...especially when he's sick. So he stuck out his water bottle as if to say "I wish I had a stool...if I did...I'd put it right *drops* here!" It was fucking hilarious. It also paid homage to the theme of the song...failing.

-Just a fun fact...when they brought out Justin's stool, I knew it was for WFM/XKDs and I shat myself.

-Justin didn't chug his ale (which I have yet to discover the brand of) just a sip. He used the impact from his subs bounce the bottle off of his highest string to provide a very cool feedback.

-It astounds me that nobody has yet mentioned the front rows buckling in. Luckily it was on either side of me...

AMAZING FUCKING CONCERT!!! GET WELL SOON MAYNARD!!!

Last edited by IAmTrevorsThirdEye; 09-18-2006 at 10:53 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 11:35 AM   #105
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTrevorsThirdEye View Post
-What he said directly before The Pot was "F. - Y. - I.....I'm still sick....BUT I FEEL FUCKING GREAT!" I'm guessing this had to do with the emphasis on SUDAFED during Rosetta Stoned.
Not correct. Thirdeye11 already got this quote correct. Try reading his post.

Quote:
-During Rosetta Stoned, Maynard was supposed to have a stool because his manager didn't want him bending over...especially when he's sick. So he stuck out his water bottle as if to say "I wish I had a stool...if I did...I'd put it right *drops* here!" It was fucking hilarious. It also paid homage to the theme of the song...failing.
It was funny to watch him repeatedly hold his water out at arms length and then drop it, but from what I've heard and seen at other shows, Maynard has been intentionally acting weird during R.S. at every show... just acting out in different ways. Where are you getting this stool thing from?
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #106
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimistic-pessimist View Post
Not correct. Thirdeye11 already got this quote correct. Try reading his post.
No...I read his post. I was making a correction. I've watched the video over and over again. It's very clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimistic-pessimist View Post
It was funny to watch him repeatedly hold his water out at arms length and then drop it, but from what I've heard and seen at other shows, Maynard has been intentionally acting weird during R.S. at every show... just acting out in different ways. Where are you getting this stool thing from?
The security guard who stood in front of me is actually a friend. We met at the McFarlin concert. He said that Maynard's manager requested the stool so not to bend over putting more stress on his diaphragm but the stage manager over-ruled his decision so that the floor visuals on Maynard's platform were completely visible. I listened to the whole conversation on the his radio. Pretty Hilarious though!

2006/05/08 - Dallas, TX - McFarlin Auditorium
2006/09/14 - Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center
2007/05/22 - Corpus Christi, TX - American Bank Center
2007/05/16 - Fort Worth, TX - Ft. Worth Convention Center
2009/07/25 - Grand Prairie, TX - Nokia Theater
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 12:43 PM   #107
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
No...I read his post. I was making a correction. I've watched the video over and over again. It's very clear.

So's my audio copy...

Why would he say "Hey that rhymes!"? "Sick" and "great" do not rhyme. "Sick" and "dick" do.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #108
The Lube

Bincount™: 5355

he defiantly said F Y I im still sick but im here so suck my dick, hey that rhymes
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 12:54 PM   #109
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmyg View Post
Awesome show!!! The highlight for Me, my daughter and her friend were when we were walking up from the construction area, free parking lot down the road before we crossed the street (across from the west entrance) we ran into Danny. He was walking alongside his bike with a security guard (I'm guessing) and my daughter recognizes him and says "Danny Carey! HI!!!" and he said "Hi, what's up". We were face to face with him. It was amazing. That's about the extent of it, but it absolutely made our day.

I thought Maynard did a TERRIFIC job on vocals. I know he said he was still sick but he sounded great to me. And I'm so glad they played as many songs as the did. I was really worried it would be short or the crowd would be doing more singing than Maynard. Not so. I'm just still in Awe.

Our seats were not nearly as bad as I thought they were going to be either (111, S). Once we got in there I knew they would be fine. I was a little worried that this guy up above and behind us that kept hanging over the rail and being really loud was going to be annoying through the whole show but (like they were during ISIS) but once Tool started I heard nothing more from him.

ISIS was great too. I'd never heard anything from them before tonight but I liked what I heard. The first song, I got a Pink Floyd kind of vibe from them, then Alice in Chains during the second song. But all in all, they had a very good sound. I definately will be checking out more from them. And I'm glad we got there in time to see them. We sat down about 5-10 minutes before they started.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a great time and got home safely. I look forward to reading everyone's reviews. But for now, I gotta go to bed so I can get up at 5 a.m.

Hey, I sat next to you or your daughter, I over heard her talking about that Danny Carey story. And i remember that obnoxious guy above us. I believe you asked one of us if we were "Doug". Anyways its a small world, Peace!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:58 PM   #110
Level 1 - Lurker

i forgot this - section107 rowC seat3...right behind SiltOnaRiverBed (#103)

all that leg-drumming was a total distraction...heh
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-18-2006, 04:13 PM   #111
Level 1 - Lurker

Yea, I know... I tend to get carried away. Geeking out to the drums... what can I say. I live for this shit! Sorry for the distraction. Imagine the distraction if I started masturbating simultaneously. "Heh".
Old 09-19-2006, 05:17 AM   #112
Level 3 - Talker

Anyone get any images of Justin in his Belikin Beer shirt? I haven't seen a shirt like that in years. If you have a pick of him from the Dallas show, please PM me.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 11:12 AM   #113
Level 1 - Lurker

I'm a 60 y/o female from Jackson, MS who flew over at 5 p. on the night of the concert, went to the show ( my first Tool show) and then flew home at 7 the next morning.

WHAT A GREAT SHOW!! Highlight for me was Wings and 10,000 days. Read one post saying it brought tears--well, me too! LOVED the WHOLE SHOW!! Even in the nose-bleed section.

It won't be my last--that's for damn sure.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 12:08 PM   #114
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
just to clear the record i got a message from some guy i am not queer... just was saying had a man crush joking around, meaning i could not keep my eyes off the dances they were very entertaining.
No need to "clear the record". I think most readers are smart enough to appreciate your comment, unlike the idiot who messaged you.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 01:14 PM   #115
Level 7 - Loquacious

Wow... the Madison, WI, show has been outright canceled. Maynard must really be feeling bad again.

This makes me feel all the luckier for getting such an amazing performance in Dallas.

I hope he gets better soon!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 01:59 PM   #116
Level 2 - Poster

That sucks about the Madison show.

Someone commented on the lack of visuals before the frickin' laser beams. Before Isis took the stage, they had a cloth/canvas backdrop. But the stage crew took it down very early...6:30 or 7. The additional seats released to Ticketmaster a day or so before the show were all behind the stage. They took the backdrop down so that the people behind the stage could see.

I think that's also whey there was seemingly very little in the way of visuals. The screen that is normally behind the stage (see photos in Houston, TX show review) was not at full-height. So the people behind the stage could see. I think the overhead screen images were projected on the screen behind the band as well; it's just that no one could see them. I have to think that it would've been more impressive visually to have had that.

May be stating the obvious to some, but just clarifying for those who may not know.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 02:14 PM   #117
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
That sucks about the Madison show.

Someone commented on the lack of visuals before the frickin' laser beams. Before Isis took the stage, they had a cloth/canvas backdrop. But the stage crew took it down very early...6:30 or 7. The additional seats released to Ticketmaster a day or so before the show were all behind the stage. They took the backdrop down so that the people behind the stage could see.

I think that's also whey there was seemingly very little in the way of visuals. The screen that is normally behind the stage (see photos in Houston, TX show review) was not at full-height. So the people behind the stage could see. I think the overhead screen images were projected on the screen behind the band as well; it's just that no one could see them. I have to think that it would've been more impressive visually to have had that.

May be stating the obvious to some, but just clarifying for those who may not know.

The Houston and Dallas shows had nothing different onstage as far as visuals go, except in Dallas they didn't have a black curtain hanging behind the stage. The curtain seems to help those white light bulbs stand out a little more, and helps hide the strings that the bulbs are hanging on. Those vertical video screens behind the band have been the same height for the whole tour, no matter where they've played.

The only other difference would be the arena's scoreboard video screens that they were able to use in Dallas. The Houston venue doesn't have those.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #118
Level 7 - Loquacious

I haven't been able to get around to posting a real review yet, but I just wanted to add, while I was thinking about it...

One more lyric that Maynard changed during AEnema... "Don't just call me pessimist..." became, "Don't just call me "has-to-piss"..."

That's the funniest one, imo.

Well, part of my review would be...

... it's REALLY hard to pay attention to the details of the show when you've got people climbing all over you and your seat, with both hands holding full beer cups, and then slipping and falling and spilling said beer all over you when the folding chair gives way... or when the couple that was 5 rows behind you decides they're not happy with their seats, so they decide that it would be much better to stand in YOUR seat 2 inches behind you... or when 200 people decide to rush past you in the aisle, bowling over the poor security lady/ticket checker on their way to the front because they're not happy about their seats either... or when a pregnant woman shows up in the row in front of you 5 songs into the show, looking like she's ready to pop, yet she has two cigarettes behind her ears and a beer in her hand...

If you can't tell, I hate seats on the floor. It forces you to stand near people that you just might absolutely hate. I like to get to shows early, get my spot up front, and hold on to it. All the people who want to constantly leave to get beer and go to the bathroom and jump around and socialize and not pay attention to the incredible show in front of them can stand in the back and get in fights and generally act like idiots wherever they choose to... as long as it's away from me. TOOL... get rid of the seats on the floor. K'thanks. (Oh... not to mention it gives the scalpers more opportunity to make money. It's a *little* bit harder to charge someone $300+ for a GA floor ticket as compared to a front row floor ticket.)

*rant over*

Anyway, I guess now's as good a time as any to post some sort of review. Because I was travelling all week/weekend, I didn't have internet access after the Dallas show, so many people have already posted things that I would have said... like:

1) Maynard's comments/ jokes... This had to have been the most talkative I've seen him all year, except for Coachella, perhaps.
2) His dropping the water bottle repeatedly during R.S... Odd and funny. At the Gorge he was walking around the stage seeming to pick up and collect small things... cupping them in his hand. Maybe he just likes to act out in weird, OCD ways during that song. Dunno...
3) his leaving his platform during R.S., circling Justin and admiring his ass before grabbing it, and then returning to his spot... Obviously he was in a good mood and feeling frisky.
4) his grabbing his own crotch during AEnema (if he didn't have to piss, he really was selling the act)...
5) Justin was finger picking on Wings and then switched to an actual pick at some point during the song, I'm not sure when...

But those are all pretty much repeat comments. I guess the only unique thing that I've got to say is this... It really seemed to me that Maynard came out there thinking he had something to prove that night. After what happened earlier in the week, I think he really felt like he HAD to put on a great show in Dallas, despite whatever symptoms he might still have been feeling. I was really skeptical if he even WAS still sick at the time. He sure didn't sound like it. He hit more notes and screams than I would have expected. Hell... he sounded worse at McFarlin in May than he did last week at the AAC.

I saw 7 TOOL shows this year, and they were all good in one way or another, (as was every show I've ever been to), but this one just felt different. I was really moved that night, and I didn't feel that from any of the other shows I saw this year. I was even brought to tear(s) at one point... which hasn't happened at a TOOL show since sometime in '02, I'd guess. It didn't erase my disappointment from earlier in the week, but it definitely made it all worth it. As someone else put it, compared to Houston it was "...night and day. Night and fuckin' day." The rest of the band is always phenominal of course. But there's an energy onstage, contributed to by all four members, and if you pay attention, you can pick up on it. I think they all came together that night, and the energy truly was blazing. Kudos to the guys for that. Now let's just hope we get a makeup San Antonio show, as well as plenty of shows in the southeast US next Spring.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 07:57 PM   #119
Level 1 - Lurker

I have been an avid Tool fan since about 1993 and I think this was my 7th show. All seven were amazing compared to any other show I have seen from any other band and they sounded good at this one once again, especially considering the sickness and the fact that the sound wasn't that great - especially for Stinkfist. I thought the stage being the visual effect was a great idea and made for a better visual show than probably any other. I don't care if Maynard dresses up like a girl, a preacher, a cowboy, a sheep, a pony, or a normal guy. I also don't care if the all stand still, do cartwheels, or tap dance throughout the show. The only criticism I have of this show is the same criticism I have of every other Tool show I have seen since the Lataralus album was released....lack of creativity in the setlist and playing the songs themselves. I do like both albums quite a bit so don't get me wrong. I was happy to see that some other "old school" fans pointed out the same disappointment in previous reviews. Don't mis-read or mis-understand me. Everything everyone said about how "they didn't miss a word" or a note or whatever about how they sounded just as good if not better than the album was correct. They ALWAYS play that well and, by the standards set to any other band, that would mean they kick ass live. I am talking about the standards they set for themselves in the late 90s tours when they not only played better than they did on the album, but DIFFERENT than they did on the album. The best show I have ever seen from anyone live was the one here in 98. Almost every song was different from the album or extended in some way or at least a song you were not expecting them to play. I remember them opening with Cold and Ugly (not a single), playing the extended version of Stinkfist with the Elvis verse, playing You Lied (an unexpected cover song that had everyone confused and debating the origins), the bad ass slow version of Push It and long winded intro to Sober (both of which some of you heard many years later on the box set), and wrapping up with the super-kick ass extended version of Jerk-Off followed by that weird Hooker With a Penis outro. Almost every song they played then was out of left field in some way and it was incredibly creative.

They still do a little of this. They played the extended version of Stinkfist (minus the Elvis lyrics) and the people around me who did not know it got really fired up. Unfortunately, I have heard it live for 8 years so it was not exciting to me in the same way. There were some ever-so-slight modifications on some other songs, but they were hardly noticeable.

They played almost all of the new album, which they did on the Lateralus tour as well. They are both good albums and I know the tour is to promote those albums, but I wish they would re-visit some older stuff as well. I understand the avoidance of Opiate material because I don't think they still have their 20-something year old angry outlook on the world as much anymore. I am definately happy they finally took the Sober training wheels off their show and realized they could put that 6 minutes to better use with something we all had not heard at every show. But why not Prison Sex or 4 Degrees which are my two favorites from that album and I have NEVER heard either of them live? From the third album, why not scrap 46&2 and Aenema (even though it makes for a nice sing along) and play H or the slow version of Push It once again? Hell, throw in Hooker With a Penis for kicks - even better sing along.

Why not scrap Schism, which is played at every show and probably most people's least favorite from that album, and play The Grudge or Parabola or The Patient? And finally, Tool played almost every second of the new album except for Right in Two. Raise your hand if you would have liked to have heard the drums on that live - perhaps instead of the silly 20 minute rosetta stoned song?

I also miss the days of the cover song being thrown in. Rather it was No Quarter, You Lied, Comando, Stranglehold, or one of the others, it really gives something for you to run and tell your friends about. That is the complaint I have about the last several Tool shows I have seen. It isn't even a complaint because they always put on a great sounding show. It is just that, like someone mentioned before, you have to have something memorable to say about a concert to make it special. I could ramble on about the details of the show in 98 forever and how original and creative it was. All I can say or remember about this show a week later is...'They sounded just as good as the album and that is basically what they did - play the new album - note for note."

Tool is a better band than that. They got the reputation for being a great live band because they put more into their show than that. They dug down deeper than that. When you tried to sing along with them they would take you off on a tangent and you would not know where they were going. That is the exciting, goose bumps part of the
Tool experience that has been missing the last few times I have seen them. I hope they will go back to that creative, different aproach the next time around. Either way, I will be there...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 05:01 AM   #120
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 567

Gn 1:3,4 "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw Tool at American Airlines , that it was good"

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: