Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
paraflux
07-24-2006, 07:00 AM

doesnt work. Trying to like anything doesnt work. You either like it or you dont. Sometimes things grow on you, sure. But liking anything has never come from attempts at forcing yourself to like it.

Thank you.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:00 AM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
FORCING YOURSELF to like this album

doesnt work. Trying to like anything doesnt work. You either like it or you dont. Sometimes things grow on you, sure. But liking anything has never come from attempts at forcing yourself to like it.

Thank you.
OFFLINE |  
toocooltool's Avatar toocooltool
07-24-2006, 07:00 AM

Old 07-24-2006, 07:00 AM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 4396
Re: TRYING to like this album

OFFLINE |  
stinkfish's Avatar stinkfish
07-24-2006, 07:09 AM

I disagree. first of all there is difference between "trying" to like something and "forcing" yourself to like it. I had a really hard time absorbing trent's downward spiral, all I heard was chatoic disturbing noices which I was almost annoyed by until I really sat down and endured the whole album

now it's one of my favorite albums
Old 07-24-2006, 07:09 AM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 21

I disagree. first of all there is difference between "trying" to like something and "forcing" yourself to like it. I had a really hard time absorbing trent's downward spiral, all I heard was chatoic disturbing noices which I was almost annoyed by until I really sat down and endured the whole album

now it's one of my favorite albums
OFFLINE |  
paraflux
07-24-2006, 07:22 AM

Taking time to digest is not the same as trying to force yourself to like something. I tried to like Radiohead, didnt work out. I didnt try to like Downward Spiral, not to say that I liked it immensely at first. But as I understood it more, I liked it. Gaining understanding does not come from forcing that understanding to come and meet your expectations.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:22 AM   #4
Banned.

Taking time to digest is not the same as trying to force yourself to like something. I tried to like Radiohead, didnt work out. I didnt try to like Downward Spiral, not to say that I liked it immensely at first. But as I understood it more, I liked it. Gaining understanding does not come from forcing that understanding to come and meet your expectations.
OFFLINE |  
SpiraMirabilis's Avatar SpiraMirabilis
07-24-2006, 07:22 AM

You can't force your self to like it, but many people are subconsiously trying to dislike it. It will become much easier to like if listened to with an open mind.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:22 AM   #5
apt-get --dist-upgrade

Bincount™: 5286

You can't force your self to like it, but many people are subconsiously trying to dislike it. It will become much easier to like if listened to with an open mind.
OFFLINE |  
paraflux
07-24-2006, 07:23 AM

I agree, there's a lot to be said for just "letting it happen," whether it's one way or the other, like or dislike.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:23 AM   #6
Banned.

I agree, there's a lot to be said for just "letting it happen," whether it's one way or the other, like or dislike.
OFFLINE |  
ktdude's Avatar ktdude
07-24-2006, 07:25 AM

The intense hype and people's preconceptions over this album were always going to influence them one way or the other. It's hard to approach an album with a fresh and open mind when so much hope is attached to it, you're setting yourself up for a fall.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:25 AM   #7
Level 9 3/4 - British

Bincount™: 15082

The intense hype and people's preconceptions over this album were always going to influence them one way or the other. It's hard to approach an album with a fresh and open mind when so much hope is attached to it, you're setting yourself up for a fall.
OFFLINE |  
Hetfield823's Avatar Hetfield823
07-24-2006, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiraMirabilis
Very true...If this was Tool's debute album 99% of all Tool fans would find this album "absolutely fucking amazing," THEN say the same things about Untertow and Aenima as they do about 10,000 Days.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” -- Stephen Roberts
Old 07-24-2006, 07:28 AM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiraMirabilis
Very true...If this was Tool's debute album 99% of all Tool fans would find this album "absolutely fucking amazing," THEN say the same things about Untertow and Aenima as they do about 10,000 Days.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” -- Stephen Roberts
OFFLINE |  
07-24-2006, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux
I didn't like downward spiral at first, but I didn't' dismiss it because I knew there was a chance I would like it if I just spent the time to absorb it, thus I TRIED to like it by listening to it, analyzing it and reading about it.

I could have dismissed 10k after the first listen, but because I knew it was tool, and knew what they are capable of, I TRIED to like the album by listening to it and hoping it would grow on me, which it didn't.

I believe the best art you have to put effort in to really appreciate

now FORCING yourself to like something is´not the same thing in my opinion,
Old 07-24-2006, 07:39 AM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
I didn't like downward spiral at first, but I didn't' dismiss it because I knew there was a chance I would like it if I just spent the time to absorb it, thus I TRIED to like it by listening to it, analyzing it and reading about it.

I could have dismissed 10k after the first listen, but because I knew it was tool, and knew what they are capable of, I TRIED to like the album by listening to it and hoping it would grow on me, which it didn't.

OFFLINE |  
07-24-2006, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdude
that goes both ways
Old 07-24-2006, 07:39 AM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdude
that goes both ways
OFFLINE |  
Kurt Russell's Avatar Kurt Russell
07-24-2006, 07:43 AM

Quote:

Thank you.
no shit?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:43 AM   #11
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 702

Quote:

Thank you.
no shit?
OFFLINE |  
SpiraMirabilis's Avatar SpiraMirabilis
07-24-2006, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkfish
Old 07-24-2006, 07:48 AM   #12
apt-get --dist-upgrade

Bincount™: 5286

Quote:
OFFLINE |  
paraflux
07-24-2006, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Russell
no shit?
none
Old 07-24-2006, 07:55 AM   #13
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Russell
no shit?
none
OFFLINE |  
paraflux
07-24-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:

I still dont think we are on the same page... you can try to understand something better, you can try to feel it out, try to cooperate with the demands of the artifact you are examining, but trying to like it? I would think that liking it depends on the way that you understand what you are examining. I'm no longer disagreeing with you because I do think we are saying the same thing.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:08 AM   #14
Banned.

Quote:

I still dont think we are on the same page... you can try to understand something better, you can try to feel it out, try to cooperate with the demands of the artifact you are examining, but trying to like it? I would think that liking it depends on the way that you understand what you are examining. I'm no longer disagreeing with you because I do think we are saying the same thing.
OFFLINE |  
undertoes
07-24-2006, 03:01 PM

i think this album fuckin sucks. you get no fakin from me
Old 07-24-2006, 03:01 PM   #15
Banned.

Bincount™: 77

OFFLINE |  
Choice Breath's Avatar Choice Breath
07-24-2006, 03:32 PM

I listened to Lateralus the first time, and it just didn't do it for me. I wanted to like it though, and felt that I may be having difficulty understanding what was going on. So I listened to it again, and again, and again. Maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake, but eventually I liked it, whereas I hadn't before. I counted that as: 1) not liking it; 2) trying to like it; followed by, 3) liking it.

This could easily be construed as just trying to understand it better, but the fact remains that I didn't like it at first. I may have disliked it because I didn't understand it, but that doesn't change the fact that I didn't like it.

The same went for much of 10,000 Days. I didn't like it at first, but considering my previous experience with Tool's albums, I kept listening (translation: trying) until I liked it.

I strongly agree with stinkfish that the best art requires effort to appreciate. Much of Tool's music serves as a great example, especially in the context of this thread. It takes time to even grasp some of Tool's songs considering their length, depth, and complexity. In contrast, pop songs can be immediately "catchy", understood, and sung along to on the first listen. That's why they don't last. They take no effort to understand. It took a long time to wrap my head around many of Tool's songs. In fact, I still hear things in Tool songs that I never heard before. It's worth the effort.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #16
Prana

Bincount™: 8

I listened to Lateralus the first time, and it just didn't do it for me. I wanted to like it though, and felt that I may be having difficulty understanding what was going on. So I listened to it again, and again, and again. Maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake, but eventually I liked it, whereas I hadn't before. I counted that as: 1) not liking it; 2) trying to like it; followed by, 3) liking it.

This could easily be construed as just trying to understand it better, but the fact remains that I didn't like it at first. I may have disliked it because I didn't understand it, but that doesn't change the fact that I didn't like it.

The same went for much of 10,000 Days. I didn't like it at first, but considering my previous experience with Tool's albums, I kept listening (translation: trying) until I liked it.

I strongly agree with stinkfish that the best art requires effort to appreciate. Much of Tool's music serves as a great example, especially in the context of this thread. It takes time to even grasp some of Tool's songs considering their length, depth, and complexity. In contrast, pop songs can be immediately "catchy", understood, and sung along to on the first listen. That's why they don't last. They take no effort to understand. It took a long time to wrap my head around many of Tool's songs. In fact, I still hear things in Tool songs that I never heard before. It's worth the effort.
07-24-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfield823
If this was Tool's debut we wouldn't ever see Undertow. Maybe Aenima, but the stylist progression has ultimately led to where they are now.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:43 PM   #17
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31

Quote:
If this was Tool's debut we wouldn't ever see Undertow. Maybe Aenima, but the stylist progression has ultimately led to where they are now.
OFFLINE |  
M.Luther's Avatar M.Luther
07-24-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
WRONG, if this was tool's debut album they would be a 1 hit wonder at best.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:12 PM   #18
Suicide Booth ID: 3

Bincount™: 9261

Quote:
WRONG, if this was tool's debut album they would be a 1 hit wonder at best.
OFFLINE |  
Towely's Avatar Towely
07-24-2006, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertoes
i dont think it sucks... i think it is their 5th best release not including salival cuz that is better
We are eternal... without judgement...
Old 07-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertoes
i dont think it sucks... i think it is their 5th best release not including salival cuz that is better
We are eternal... without judgement...
OFFLINE |  
Death In June's Avatar Death In June
07-25-2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Not true. I dislike Undertow and 10,000 days equally. I can look at the music pretty objectively, and I don't understand why it's so hard to believe that people don't like the sound of this album. I'd of thought this thread would be common sense.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:18 PM   #20
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 48

Quote:
Not true. I dislike Undertow and 10,000 days equally. I can look at the music pretty objectively, and I don't understand why it's so hard to believe that people don't like the sound of this album. I'd of thought this thread would be common sense.
07-25-2006, 06:31 PM

Different albums, different tastes. I have a hard time enjoying Undertow. Oh well.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:31 PM   #21
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1555

Different albums, different tastes. I have a hard time enjoying Undertow. Oh well.
undertoes
07-25-2006, 06:35 PM

undertow is raw, dogg. if u dont feel it, u aint no tool G, ya dig
Old 07-25-2006, 06:35 PM   #22
Banned.

undertow is raw, dogg. if u dont feel it, u aint no tool G, ya dig
OFFLINE |  
imatoolhed's Avatar imatoolhed
07-25-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:

Thank you.
some may know my stance on the album, some may not. after my first listen the stand out tracks imo are and still are, jambi - right in two - rosetta stoned. as a whole the album has grown on me after many many listen (none forced). that's the thing about tool that i like. on the surface this one may seem not so deep all around, but once you really delve into it you find layers upon layers you missed before.

vicarious was and still is my least listened to track, but i'm liking it more and more. i think after seeing live turned me around a bit, also less radio play is helping me enjoy and listen to all musically it has to give. they did a fine job imo on this one.

the pot didn't grab me right away neither, cuz' of the way the vocals started out. then i caught in the middle of the song on the radio one day and the music just blew me away. now it is one of my most played off 10kd. also killer live.

i wasn't one that has been trying to like this album. shit, for that matter if they (tool) did some country feel something i'd support it. it's just it caught me off gaurd a little i guess.

thank you
TOYKO!! R.I.P. The Alien Gus
Old 07-25-2006, 06:41 PM   #23
Member Of The Bored (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 11897

Quote:

Thank you.
some may know my stance on the album, some may not. after my first listen the stand out tracks imo are and still are, jambi - right in two - rosetta stoned. as a whole the album has grown on me after many many listen (none forced). that's the thing about tool that i like. on the surface this one may seem not so deep all around, but once you really delve into it you find layers upon layers you missed before.

vicarious was and still is my least listened to track, but i'm liking it more and more. i think after seeing live turned me around a bit, also less radio play is helping me enjoy and listen to all musically it has to give. they did a fine job imo on this one.

the pot didn't grab me right away neither, cuz' of the way the vocals started out. then i caught in the middle of the song on the radio one day and the music just blew me away. now it is one of my most played off 10kd. also killer live.

i wasn't one that has been trying to like this album. shit, for that matter if they (tool) did some country feel something i'd support it. it's just it caught me off gaurd a little i guess.

thank you
OFFLINE |  
imatoolhed's Avatar imatoolhed
07-25-2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
I agree trying to like is a bit odd. But it can happen that you buy an album and after a few listens you think, fuck, why did I buy that? But after a couple of months you have something like, ah what, listen it again, just because, and then <CLICK> you like it.

Depends on mood, anticipation, whatever.
are you talking bout me roggs
Old 07-25-2006, 09:52 PM   #24
Member Of The Bored (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 11897

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
I agree trying to like is a bit odd. But it can happen that you buy an album and after a few listens you think, fuck, why did I buy that? But after a couple of months you have something like, ah what, listen it again, just because, and then <CLICK> you like it.

Depends on mood, anticipation, whatever.
are you talking bout me roggs
OFFLINE |  
bamaman
07-26-2006, 04:24 PM

Once and for all, can we not agree? That if you don't like it, you're not a jerk who didn't give it a chance and hates Tool. And that if you do like it, you're not a uber-Tool fan who wants to suck the sweat off Maynards nuts.

I don't like the album, I am still a big Tool fan.

The only thing worse than someone posting that the album sucks or that they hate it without giving any reasons, is the tool fan-boy people who bash anyone who doesn't think that it's(the album) the greatest thing in the world.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:24 PM   #25
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

Once and for all, can we not agree? That if you don't like it, you're not a jerk who didn't give it a chance and hates Tool. And that if you do like it, you're not a uber-Tool fan who wants to suck the sweat off Maynards nuts.

I don't like the album, I am still a big Tool fan.

The only thing worse than someone posting that the album sucks or that they hate it without giving any reasons, is the tool fan-boy people who bash anyone who doesn't think that it's(the album) the greatest thing in the world.
OFFLINE |  
paraflux
07-27-2006, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaman
Who are you talking to?
Old 07-27-2006, 05:46 AM   #26
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaman
Who are you talking to?
OFFLINE |  
TurdEye13's Avatar TurdEye13
07-27-2006, 09:24 AM

agreed
Old 07-27-2006, 09:24 AM   #27
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2063

agreed
07-27-2006, 09:33 AM

I really disliked the record at first...

but then three months later, after a few intense listens...the decision finally came to me.

I hate it now.

thank you.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:33 AM   #28
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2924

I really disliked the record at first...

but then three months later, after a few intense listens...the decision finally came to me.

I hate it now.

thank you.
OFFLINE |  
blafuckbla's Avatar blafuckbla
07-27-2006, 10:28 AM

what the fuck are you trying to prove with a thread like this. who cares who likes or not.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:28 AM   #29
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

what the fuck are you trying to prove with a thread like this. who cares who likes or not.
OFFLINE |  
Hetfield823's Avatar Hetfield823
07-27-2006, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blafuckbla
Wow - I can't believe I didn't think of this and post it myself.

Who gives a fuck?! Like it? Great! Dont? Listen to Lateralus!

End of thread...
Old 07-27-2006, 11:10 AM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 730

Quote:
Wow - I can't believe I didn't think of this and post it myself.

Who gives a fuck?! Like it? Great! Dont? Listen to Lateralus!

End of thread...
OFFLINE |  
paraflux
07-27-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
By the same token, I wonder what the fuck you are trying to prove with that post, seeing as how obviously no one cares.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:16 AM   #31
Banned.

Quote:
By the same token, I wonder what the fuck you are trying to prove with that post, seeing as how obviously no one cares.
OFFLINE |  
blafuckbla's Avatar blafuckbla
07-27-2006, 11:29 AM

obviously no one except you so it seems. ;)
Old 07-27-2006, 11:29 AM   #32
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

obviously no one except you so it seems. ;)
OFFLINE |  
Liquid Ashes's Avatar Liquid Ashes
07-27-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:

Thank you.

How do you know?
Old 07-27-2006, 12:16 PM   #33
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 830

Quote:

Thank you.

How do you know?
OFFLINE |  
paraflux
07-27-2006, 12:29 PM

Because I'm an arrogant bastard?
Old 07-27-2006, 12:29 PM   #34
Banned.

Because I'm an arrogant bastard?
OFFLINE |  
Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
07-27-2006, 12:44 PM

I slightly disagree too, but only because, if you really wanted to, you could force yourself to like or dislike anything.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:44 PM   #35
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 30

I slightly disagree too, but only because, if you really wanted to, you could force yourself to like or dislike anything.
OFFLINE |  
undertoes
07-27-2006, 01:34 PM

I say we revolt and kick paraflux's ass outta here
Old 07-27-2006, 01:34 PM   #36
Banned.

I say we revolt and kick paraflux's ass outta here
OFFLINE |  
paraflux
07-27-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00LHEAD
True, I've read alot of your posts and they are very close minded thoughts. How did you ever become a mod. I've seen alot also where you put other tool fans down, knowing very well that they are intimidated by you. So please if you dont like what is written just overlook it, dont put fellow members down.
And for the THREAD,reword it to FORCE because trying in alot of peoples eyes means different things!

Thank You Much
T00LHEAD
Right... closed minded, that's me. And please show me where Ive put other members down, I'd like to see that. Outside the bin, of course, and not just a stupid one-liner about how someone got probed.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:37 PM   #37
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00LHEAD
True, I've read alot of your posts and they are very close minded thoughts. How did you ever become a mod. I've seen alot also where you put other tool fans down, knowing very well that they are intimidated by you. So please if you dont like what is written just overlook it, dont put fellow members down.
And for the THREAD,reword it to FORCE because trying in alot of peoples eyes means different things!

Thank You Much
T00LHEAD
Right... closed minded, that's me. And please show me where Ive put other members down, I'd like to see that. Outside the bin, of course, and not just a stupid one-liner about how someone got probed.
OFFLINE |  
paraflux
07-27-2006, 01:45 PM

No, and I explained why. Of course, I should probably just put IMO in big fat letters in my signature, so that everyone will be reminded that this is indeed an opinion forum. You know, so that I dont get characterized by what I'm sure are great minds as "closed-minded."
Old 07-27-2006, 01:45 PM   #38
Banned.

No, and I explained why. Of course, I should probably just put IMO in big fat letters in my signature, so that everyone will be reminded that this is indeed an opinion forum. You know, so that I dont get characterized by what I'm sure are great minds as "closed-minded."
OFFLINE |  
paraflux
07-27-2006, 01:46 PM

Um, you're right, I should have just turned the other cheek. I need to like it when people provoke me.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #39
Banned.

Um, you're right, I should have just turned the other cheek. I need to like it when people provoke me.
OFFLINE |  
paraflux
07-27-2006, 01:48 PM

My definition of the word "trying" could be grasped by my 8 year old son, using things called "context clues," in my very first post in this thread. Notice the use of the word "force." Just trying to get this back on topic, in case anyone is still interested. I'm not, necessarily. I was trying to make what I thought was a good point and people get confused because I didnt set up a glossary of terms first.

Last edited by paraflux; 07-27-2006 at 01:51 PM..
Old 07-27-2006, 01:48 PM   #40
Banned.

My definition of the word "trying" could be grasped by my 8 year old son, using things called "context clues," in my very first post in this thread. Notice the use of the word "force." Just trying to get this back on topic, in case anyone is still interested. I'm not, necessarily. I was trying to make what I thought was a good point and people get confused because I didnt set up a glossary of terms first.

Last edited by paraflux; 07-27-2006 at 01:51 PM..
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply