opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Opiate
User Name
Password
Old 05-13-2003, 03:55 AM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
opiate is not regarded as well..?

i relly HAD to post this...shit ive been in and out of this forum everyday since i joined and this came up...well the opiate album isnt looked upon to be as cool as the other tool albums is it?dont start posting ''well duh stupid..obviously it isnt as good..'' coz this fucking album rulez...shit,i love tool and is try to see them in their complete history...the same i try to do with the deftones... adrenaline wasnt as cool as white pony (i need to listen to the next one...!!!) but the last 2 songs where an evolutionary step on its own...te same goes for opiate....I for one say that if you cant listen to opiate you miss a lot on all of the tool albums..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 04:00 AM   #2
Banned

Bincount™: 128
Right On!
Old 05-13-2003, 04:05 AM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

shit man youre fast!!thanx..
Old 05-13-2003, 04:27 AM   #4
Banned

Bincount™: 128
Quote:
Originally posted by Adrenalin
shit man youre fast!!thanx..
your welcome, i mean, every word you say... its tru(e)(lly)... amazing
Old 05-14-2003, 08:29 PM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 19
I agree with you 100%. I think Opiate kick serious arse. The title track is a definate favourite. The songs on this e.p. are consistently in their set lists, and the relevance to their following albums is considerable.

Plus, the music is fucking tight, inspirational and certainly thought-provoking. This c.d. is always close to my stereo.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:42 PM   #6
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 166
the word "arse" irritates the shit out of me..

but other than that, i like opiate, but some of the songs(hush and part of me) just stop being meaningful after a while.. i mean, the other songs on the album are exceptional, while those 2 are just good.. i think hte reason is that most of tools songs can take on a different meaning with any persons particular life circumstances.but those 2 songs are pretty much the same every time i hear them..

to me that is the only thing i dont like about opiate. ive found myself skipping over those songs quite often.. but i never skip over any other tool song.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:12 AM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

hush adn part of me..

well i have to diasgree with you..opiate is not my favorite tool album,but as tool albums go it is one that show where tool stand as a band and where their potential is going... as for the songs...if every one of us took the hush song more seriously many of the stupid posts in here (and i dont mean to disrespect any of you guys) wouldnt have been posted..dont forget:''i can say what i want to...even if im not serious..'' so...here lies the fact that maybe tool are playing with our heads and we are bitting the bait..HARD.as for part of me....come on...it mght be the first step of maynards self opossition....something that goes on to all tool albums.....thought of that?
Old 05-17-2003, 08:56 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Disagree

I have to disagree as well. Alot of people don't consider it to be Tool's best album, but definately respect it. It isn't as well put together as the rest of the albums, but is, in fact, and excellent album. Sweat and Jerk-Off are two excellent songs. Opiate, the track, is amazing as well. But, this album is before the band had made any of its decisions that has resulted in the Tool that we have before us today. For the record, I think that Undertow is Tool's best CD. Then, I would put the rest on the same level. I place Ænima and Opiate on the same level, with Lateralus. I discount Salival ebtirely because I simply don't like it too much.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:38 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Well, Opiate is just simply different from the other albums... it's so much more aggressive, or rough, if that's a better word for it... but yeah, I like it. I like it a lot, just as much as the others and it's impossible for me to pick my "favorite" or "least favorite" Tool album. I respect them all just as much.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:04 PM   #10
Banned.

Hush and part of me

First off i think that all songs on all cd's that Tool have put out are all on the same plane of greatness. They are all unique in their own right and have their own message whether Tool want you to accept or reject their messages.
Just read the quote on the Opinion home page.

Hush is an amazing song that truly lets us know what kind of a ride we are in for when we fell into Tool. As adrenaline said " maybe Tool are playing with our heads and we are bitting the bait" thats all in the awe and mistique that most of us crave from them.
As for Part of Me, I would have to say that this song was the preview of things to come for Tool. Out of all the tracks on Opiate, it showed a slight glimpse of the spectrum of musical genious that they now reside in.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:23 PM   #11
Banned.

Bincount™: 55
Quote:
Right. But I mean, as far as, like, length and movement,
there’s a lot more (on Lateralus and songs like Pushit/Third Eye), there’s definitely a lot more. It’s like, those
songs are more like Apocalypse Now and probably the songs on
Opiate are more like Reservoir Dogs, where it’s pretty direct and
minimal, still explored as much. So maybe that’s what they’re
saying. And I guess…yes. Yes.
-MJK
Old 06-20-2003, 11:53 PM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

I agree, I think when you form a new band especially with members that have same view points of becoming the best musicians you possibly can(well, i guess with the exception of D'amour) its important to have a strong debut to introduce yourself and your message, to prepare a populace that may not be ready for music that is extremely cathartic for a mood in which they'll be ready to look into their own existence to drawn meaning from music. And shit yeah, Opiate is one of my favorites.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:57 PM   #13
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
Re: opiate is not regarded as well..?

i agree on one level. it's best to know a band's history... that's it. i have opiate and i listen to it sometimes but the later stuff is so much more evolved and better. the only 'song' i even enjoy on opiate anymore is the gaping lotus experience... and that's just because it's less spite filled and is more comical than anything. the rest of the album seems to be more shock value than art.

i like it and i'm not about to get rid of the album but the newer stuff just feels better. <-- my opinion of course.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:39 AM   #14
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 7

I really like opiate, and i dont understand how people can not regard it as a full album, it may only be about 25 minutes long, but that doesnt matter, the music is amazing on it, and the title track talks about interesting stuff. How religion is shoved down our throats and the like. Ive been thinking alot about that recently, and while sitting in Religious Education at school this morning (im in third lesson - IT now xD) ... most large religions are so corrupted i think.

Same goes for Salival, i spoke to someone recently, and they thought tool had only released 3 proper albums - Undertow, Aenima and Lateralus, but thats just stupid IMO, salival is a proper album, the live versions of the songs are quite alot different from the actual versions. Hmm ... anyway ... back to work.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:23 AM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

Opiate is probably my favorite Tool album. It's a little more um..raw? That might be the word...but their albums after Opiate have a different sound. To me, it seems that they have a little "fuller" of a sound after Opiate. Still it's a great album.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:51 AM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 43

Opiate is a great record. Very straight forward, very raw!!! Love it!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 02:34 AM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Isnt Opiate considered an E.P.
Anyway, Opiate is a pretty dam album(whatever).
The songs have a nice feel to them and are pretty fast paced compared to
some tool songs. The song opiate was a difinant hit for me, Nice starting, middle, end.
Even the hidden track was cool. Gaping Lotus Experiment, weird name, but still cool.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #18
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

It is an EP...but as I've posted before, and will post again, an EP is still an album :)

And it's "Gaping Lotus Experience", same dealt though.

PS. I love this album
Old 04-27-2007, 08:02 PM   #19
Level 3 - Talker

I am also a big fan of this album/EP, whenever I have stuff to do around town most of the time I grab Opiate and jam on the way to work/school.
I enjoy every track on Opaite, witch is hard say about any other Tool album, although Lateralus is close.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: