opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Vicarious
User Name
Password
Old 01-17-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Well, i got tired of looking at the 'it is all about sex, sperm and eggs' stuff...

Well, i got tired of it, and at last, here is my interpretation of that amazing video:

First of all, you can see the insides of that snakelike stuff... big deal... the interesting part begins with the song

All of sudden, that thing awakens, and starts moving towards the eye, that, in my opinion means something caught the translucid guy's (who we'll call X) attention, an event of importance and danger... it exits Mr X's eye...

The burning sun makes no sense at this point, tho...

Now, the twitchy movement of Mr X may be the nervousness of the event that is happening in front of him, that means the giant eye...

The eye destroys everything the 'tentacles' touch, that makes Mr X,
A: controlled by the vicarious senses of him, smile forcedly
Or
B: Scream in terror, without moving, for his curiosity of seeing what happens next

The crystals floating around may be portals or something... i have no idea for that, but whatever that is, it catches the snakelike things to wake up

Well, the two crystals collide, and that makes the vicarious senses to exit Mr X's eyes, that means, to my way of thinking... that it caught Mr X.'s attention, and wants to get closer, but his fear does not let him go nearer

the insect...well...is the insect...

The Vicarious go and separate from Mr X, and fly to the sun, trying to look closer at it... as Mr X looks through his hands, that one of the Vicarious enters, and...well it exits trough another eye... to be revealed further...

then, the crystal floats in front of Mr X, and he sees its reflection, the Vicarious look at eachother... i dunno what to say here...

Then, there are a bunch of reflections of Mr x, meaning that when the people go vicarious, they end up thinking "What if i were on that situation?"

Now, the insect...i think it was sort of a larva of the gigantic eye, or one of its derivatives... then, Mr X, back to itself, without the Vicarious in him, screams in terror as he is thrown back to reality, and the eye hits him, and kills him

Now, as the new Mr X is made, i think it is sort of the ending to a period, where the vicarious exited from him, and then it begins all over again... making a new vicarious fixation to stuff...

Now, the other stuff ends, and..errrr....well... i think the vicarious disappears completely, and it ends up killing the eye, for..ermmmm... i dunno, i lost it in this part...

Now, the stuff there, i think it means that Mr. X liberated himself from the vicarious senses...for awhile, for the events happening now are the beginning of an even bigger stuff, for the sun being the beginning of the start.... right...

See how the snakelike stuff is not sperm, for my way of thinking? think about it, and try to collaborate to this interpretation... Peace, toolers.... (By the way, if i seem pedant here...ermmm... let's say it is in my personality...)
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:14 AM   #2
Ski Free

Bincount™: 1219
Re: Well, i got tired of looking at the 'it is all about sex, sperm and eggs' stuff..

it's probably just sperm dude
Old 01-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Re: Well, i got tired of looking at the 'it is all about sex, sperm and eggs' stuff..

probably it could be, but a sex-free interpretation does not hurt....does it?
Old 01-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
Ski Free

Bincount™: 1219

I'm not even sure I've seen this video, but if maynard had anything to do with it, it's probably sex-related
Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

... good point....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUXBCdt5IPg

For your viewing pleasure...
Old 01-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
On Probation

i don't see much sex in this video. I might be wrong, but my intrp. is leaning towards lukitool
Old 03-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860

ummmmmmmm, I haven't read a word on this forum about "sexual" interpretations of this video however I would tend to think that interpretations such as that come from the sex-starved or sex-crazed... so in a way I agree with Rivek lol.

The pseudo-sexual imagery, namely that scene that certainly looks like a sperm fertilizing an egg... In my head thats just visual metaphor. Adam drowns all of the videos in metaphor. Some are easy to decipher, others are much more convoluted and obscure. But the general feeling I get from the Vicarious video is pretty simple and for the most part straight forward... much like the lyrics.

X (nervous twitchy guy) doesnt want to go anywhere, too scared. His feet are rooted in the ground or he has serious case of Hammertoe. His eyes, or minds eye... whatever... those things... come out of his eyes to inspect the world around him "vicariously". If you ask me.. the flying panes of glass are symbolic of TVs. The tentacle thing is just a destroyer of things around it. The insect is an evil little fucker that feeds off the destruction left behind by Senor Tentacle and eventually spawns its own destruction. Hmmmm, Insect = News Media.... hmmmm.

Where things become a little more trippy and open to interpretation is when the Eye things... Brandy and Mandy split off... one goes to look at the scorching sun, the other looks inward on X. To me its as if part of him is curious about what is the source of all this evil and destruction... and the other part of him looks inward to his own .... demons i guess. I dont know. The one that enters him seems to have a rebirth of sorts, this is definitely re-inforced by the imagery, and as he is flying through the net of being he becomes more and more aware of his true connection to the world around him. And following the "fertilization" X is jolted out of his zombie like state of existence and suddenly becomes fully aware of his connection to the world around him and what happens to others happens to him. This realization of truth seems to destroy the apocalyptic world around X and then transforms him from a physical being to a spiritual being.

Thats my interpretation without being a total metaphysical, spiritual nut. Its just how I interpret those images. The moral of the story being... stop watching the fucking news so much just to get a blood fix. Bleh.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Well put. Notice also that in the beginning of the video, X snickers and sort of snarls at the tentacled eye plowing the ground.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:57 AM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post
ummmmmmmm, I haven't read a word on this forum about "sexual" interpretations of this video however I would tend to think that interpretations such as that come from the sex-starved or sex-crazed... so in a way I agree with Rivek lol.
Well, yes, i am virgin, thanks a lot...

Anyway, the stuff is not here in the forums, it is in the video comments, i guess i kinda went berzerk about wanting to give it a different meaning...

Well... it's just my opinion......

Though, that hurt a little...
Old 05-01-2010, 01:59 AM   #10
Level 10 - Vehement

Well I'm sorry you got hurt but to be honest I'm not sure why. First of all I never said you were a virgin, and even if you read it that way, it was not meant in a derogatory sense. So what if you are? That perception of shame is a whole other topic, so ill just say 'Dude, don't worry about it.'

In fact what I was saying was that (as I see it) those who come up with overtly sexual interpretations of something that is seemingly non-sexual are likely sex-starved or sex-crazed. Sex-starved does not necessarily mean virgin in my head. It could be, but doesn't have to be. I only referenced Riv's comment because most of the time I disagree with him... well sort of.

And for the record, I was supporting your non-sexual interpretation. I've just never seen the ones that are.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:14 AM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 89

Since this is the most current post on Vicarious--why is no one talking about it anymore? Aren't Tool fans supposed to tear shit apart trying to find a hidden meaning inside? Do people really dislike 10,000 Days that much? I love 10,000 Days, it was the first full Tool album I ever owned.

Tool - June 20, 2010 - A Perfect Circle - July 22, 2011 - Tool - January 21, 2012 -
Nine Inch Nails - November 5, 2013 - Skinny Puppy - January 30, 2014 - Tool - March 24, 2014 - Tool - January 13, 2016
Old 08-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #12
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOut34 View Post
Since this is the most current post on Vicarious--why is no one talking about it anymore? Aren't Tool fans supposed to tear shit apart trying to find a hidden meaning inside?
the album came out four years ago. i'd say most people got tired of dissecting every part of every song to try and find some obscure meaning. look at some posts about 10,000 days from a few years ago. there's every crazy post imaginable, it's all been discussed already
Old 08-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #13
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOut34 View Post
Since this is the most current post on Vicarious--why is no one talking about it anymore? Aren't Tool fans supposed to tear shit apart trying to find a hidden meaning inside? Do people really dislike 10,000 Days that much? I love 10,000 Days, it was the first full Tool album I ever owned.
You probably need to check your view settings on the forum. There are pulldown menus at the bottom, one of them is a setting for which threads get shown based on how recent they are. Change that setting to "from the beginning" and you'll find that there are 3 pages of threads on Vicarious. It did get dissected to hell... just a long time ago. As fear just said, most of us are tired of discussing it now.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 89

It's been discussed, but people are still talking about the meanings behind Lateralus and such, you know? Or going back to Undertow? Why is it that 10,000 Days lost it so fast, as their recent album?

Tool - June 20, 2010 - A Perfect Circle - July 22, 2011 - Tool - January 21, 2012 -
Nine Inch Nails - November 5, 2013 - Skinny Puppy - January 30, 2014 - Tool - March 24, 2014 - Tool - January 13, 2016

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: