Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Barber
03-15-2014, 02:06 PM

I know the band always throws in spiteful/sarcastic tracks on all their albums, but on 10,000 Days, the portion of the album dedicated to sarcasm seemed to have taken up more time than that of previous albums. I love the grooves, and I love how it all sounds, but I feel like the album as a whole wasn't "serious" enough emotionally/lyrically. It's a masterpiece by typical standards, but not by Tool standards. I hope I'm not sounding grumpy when I make this thread. I'm just wondering if anyone else felt the same way while they were trying their best to digest this album and regard it as highly as all the other full lengths. I'm really not trying to be a hater, I'm just looking for input.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Was this album overly tongue-in-cheek for anyone else?

I know the band always throws in spiteful/sarcastic tracks on all their albums, but on 10,000 Days, the portion of the album dedicated to sarcasm seemed to have taken up more time than that of previous albums. I love the grooves, and I love how it all sounds, but I feel like the album as a whole wasn't "serious" enough emotionally/lyrically. It's a masterpiece by typical standards, but not by Tool standards. I hope I'm not sounding grumpy when I make this thread. I'm just wondering if anyone else felt the same way while they were trying their best to digest this album and regard it as highly as all the other full lengths. I'm really not trying to be a hater, I'm just looking for input.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Mr. Dilkington
03-15-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
... but I feel like the album as a whole wasn't "serious" enough emotionally/lyrically.
um, there's a song about the guy's dead mother.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
On Probation

Re: Was this album overly tongue-in-cheek for anyone else?

Quote:
... but I feel like the album as a whole wasn't "serious" enough emotionally/lyrically.
um, there's a song about the guy's dead mother.
Barber
03-15-2014, 03:13 PM

Yeah, followed by 10 minutes of goofy LSD stories.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Yeah, followed by 10 minutes of goofy LSD stories.
Barber
03-15-2014, 03:15 PM

All I'm saying is Hooker With A Penis and Ticks and Leeches are good tongue-in-cheek songs, whereas Rosetta Stoned comes off as a long, musically overwrought prog exercise with silly lyrics.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

All I'm saying is Hooker With A Penis and Ticks and Leeches are good tongue-in-cheek songs, whereas Rosetta Stoned comes off as a long, musically overwrought prog exercise with silly lyrics.
Barber
03-15-2014, 03:17 PM

My interpretation is that the entire album couldn't be as serious as the others because WFM/10kDays took too much out of him and he couldn't stand to keep the album as consistently emotional as the others.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

My interpretation is that the entire album couldn't be as serious as the others because WFM/10kDays took too much out of him and he couldn't stand to keep the album as consistently emotional as the others.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:41 AM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Last edited by dancingflame; 03-20-2014 at 03:44 AM..
Barber
03-25-2014, 09:53 AM

aight
Old 03-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

aight
Barber
03-25-2014, 10:04 AM

People are jumping all over me like I'm intending to be malicious with this thread. It's the same fanboy attitude I used against others on here ten years ago when I was a young boy discovering and embracing my intellectual side. This place hasn't changed a bit. Maybe it's just a band you outgrow and stop thinking about when you enter early adulthood and learn that all the mystique behind the occult/etc is a bunch of hogwash. I still love the band for what they've done, but I was just trying to innocently share a perspective. Oh well. I hope the new album is as good as Aenima/Lateralus....If not, that's okay because 2 masterpieces are more than enough for any artist.

Last edited by Barber; 03-25-2014 at 10:05 AM..
Old 03-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

People are jumping all over me like I'm intending to be malicious with this thread. It's the same fanboy attitude I used against others on here ten years ago when I was a young boy discovering and embracing my intellectual side. This place hasn't changed a bit. Maybe it's just a band you outgrow and stop thinking about when you enter early adulthood and learn that all the mystique behind the occult/etc is a bunch of hogwash. I still love the band for what they've done, but I was just trying to innocently share a perspective. Oh well. I hope the new album is as good as Aenima/Lateralus....If not, that's okay because 2 masterpieces are more than enough for any artist.

Last edited by Barber; 03-25-2014 at 10:05 AM..
SpiralOut34's Avatar SpiralOut34
03-25-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
That's like saying Lateralus drained the energy of the band so much that they couldn't record the rest of the album with enough emphasis and emotion. It's completely illogical. Perhaps he was too deep into his grief to put so much into the other songs on the album as he put into this dedication to his mother, but to think that a set of songs drained his ability to put emotion into others makes no sense--it would be an overwhelming emotion affecting him, not a catch in the recording process.

Tool - June 20, 2010 - A Perfect Circle - July 22, 2011 - Tool - January 21, 2012 -
Nine Inch Nails - November 5, 2013 - Skinny Puppy - January 30, 2014 - Tool - March 24, 2014 - Tool - January 13, 2016
Old 03-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 89

Quote:
That's like saying Lateralus drained the energy of the band so much that they couldn't record the rest of the album with enough emphasis and emotion. It's completely illogical. Perhaps he was too deep into his grief to put so much into the other songs on the album as he put into this dedication to his mother, but to think that a set of songs drained his ability to put emotion into others makes no sense--it would be an overwhelming emotion affecting him, not a catch in the recording process.

Tool - June 20, 2010 - A Perfect Circle - July 22, 2011 - Tool - January 21, 2012 -
Nine Inch Nails - November 5, 2013 - Skinny Puppy - January 30, 2014 - Tool - March 24, 2014 - Tool - January 13, 2016
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
03-25-2014, 09:59 PM

whoa, calm down man. no need to jump all over brarbrah.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #10
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

04-01-2014, 12:40 PM

Just thinking out loud, guys. My heart goes out to the 'nard, but I think 10k Days was a lil' rushed is all. Opiate-Lateralus = my entire childhood/adolescence. No malice intended.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

Just thinking out loud, guys. My heart goes out to the 'nard, but I think 10k Days was a lil' rushed is all. Opiate-Lateralus = my entire childhood/adolescence. No malice intended.
pixedit
04-02-2014, 03:48 PM

I am so f@&#ing thrilled that I absolutely LOVE 10,000 Days! Seeing these old ass topics brought up again 8 years later just allows me to appreciate it even more. I'm still riding high after two shows in San Fran a couple weeks ago! Bring on the new music!
Old 04-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

I am so f@&#ing thrilled that I absolutely LOVE 10,000 Days! Seeing these old ass topics brought up again 8 years later just allows me to appreciate it even more. I'm still riding high after two shows in San Fran a couple weeks ago! Bring on the new music!
SpiralOut34's Avatar SpiralOut34
04-02-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheMA! View Post
I didn't mean for anything I said to come off as overly antagonistic, and if it did I'm sorry. Just having some friendly discussion, right?

Old 04-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheMA! View Post
I didn't mean for anything I said to come off as overly antagonistic, and if it did I'm sorry. Just having some friendly discussion, right?

iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
04-02-2014, 04:10 PM

just trying to be overly tongue-in-cheek for the sake of being overly tongue-in-cheek, i guess. happened so long ago... i actually agree with what you wrote, SpiralOut34 - heh. edit/addition: 10kdays is a far more dense/uplifting album with heavy themes and lofty goals ...than say aenima, undertow. a lot of fans chose to get ahead of themselves, i think... they chose to believe that the next album should sound a certain way. perhaps nostalgia? but expectation leads to disappointment. perhaps they needed an intro track like the grudge to remind themselves to LET GO ...of pre-conceptions. (perhaps vicarious attempts exactly that? "i need to watch THINGS die" ...) idk.

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 04-02-2014 at 04:20 PM..
Old 04-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #14
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

just trying to be overly tongue-in-cheek for the sake of being overly tongue-in-cheek, i guess. happened so long ago... i actually agree with what you wrote, SpiralOut34 - heh. edit/addition: 10kdays is a far more dense/uplifting album with heavy themes and lofty goals ...than say aenima, undertow. a lot of fans chose to get ahead of themselves, i think... they chose to believe that the next album should sound a certain way. perhaps nostalgia? but expectation leads to disappointment. perhaps they needed an intro track like the grudge to remind themselves to LET GO ...of pre-conceptions. (perhaps vicarious attempts exactly that? "i need to watch THINGS die" ...) idk.

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 04-02-2014 at 04:20 PM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply