06-28-2011, 04:34 PM

fuuuuck that made me put on 10,000 Days again
Old 06-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #442
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 67
Re: New Tool Album

fuuuuck that made me put on 10,000 Days again
06-28-2011, 10:01 PM

I've seen a lot of hate for 10,000 Days on this forum over the last few years, and I just have to give my 2 cents:

Are you fucking kidding? This is going to sound pretentious, but do people (including a lot of Tool fans) just have no ear for intellectual music? I don't understand it. 10,000 Days, in my opinion, is on par with Lateralus, and it blows Aenima, Undertow, and Opiate right out of the water. Again in my opinion (but speaking as a former music major), I think there is more musical gold just in Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned and Intension/Right in Two than there is in all three of Tool's EP and first two albums combined. That is, if I had to choose, I would rather listen to Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned and Intension/Right in Two by themselves than listen to Opiate, Undertow, and Aenima.

Lateralus is a brilliant album. 10,000 Days is so far beyond brilliant that (apparently) they actually lost a little bit of their fan base with it. It's a big step up technically from Lateralus, and it's even a step up from "progressive metal." Particularly with Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned, it's now reaching into the realm of experimental metal. That should make you all happy; it has gotten to the point where Tool are challenging themselves so much that they have actually transcended the progressive metal genre.

One thing Tool have become masters at in my opinion, which sets them even further apart from other similar bands (as if any band is similar to Tool), is texturing. Tool's ability to texture their music is completely unmatched, and 10,000 Days is really the first concrete evidence of that. Lateralus was an improvement with regard to texture, but 10,000 Days is a perfection of it. Each note on each instrument fits flawlessly in between each note on each other instrument, and they weave together to make Tool sound like a machine throughout the whole album. They sound like one cohesive and fluid unit. Sure, you can listen to Karnivool, or Porcupine Tree, or The Mars Volta, or even Meshuggah, but it's never quite the same, and it's because the parts are not written to mesh as well as they do in Tool.

To bring this back on topic, my point is that 10,000 Days was a direction Tool needed go. They're artists. They knew they couldn't please everybody with a follow up to an album as good as Lateralus, so they did what true artists do: they challenged themselves to explore and break artistic boundaries, and they wrote music for their own sake, not for anybody's else. This band does not make the same record twice, and that's why 10,000 Days will still be relevant in 20 years, just like Undertow is still relevant nearly 20 years later. Even if you don't like 10,000 Days very much, at least find it within yourself to appreciate that about Tool. It is their unique desire to grow and progress that allows them to continue blowing our minds album after album. I think they need to explore themselves and their boundaries further with their fifth album, even if nobody likes what the end result is, and that's what I want to see.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:01 PM   #443
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I've seen a lot of hate for 10,000 Days on this forum over the last few years, and I just have to give my 2 cents:

Are you fucking kidding? This is going to sound pretentious, but do people (including a lot of Tool fans) just have no ear for intellectual music? I don't understand it. 10,000 Days, in my opinion, is on par with Lateralus, and it blows Aenima, Undertow, and Opiate right out of the water. Again in my opinion (but speaking as a former music major), I think there is more musical gold just in Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned and Intension/Right in Two than there is in all three of Tool's EP and first two albums combined. That is, if I had to choose, I would rather listen to Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned and Intension/Right in Two by themselves than listen to Opiate, Undertow, and Aenima.

Lateralus is a brilliant album. 10,000 Days is so far beyond brilliant that (apparently) they actually lost a little bit of their fan base with it. It's a big step up technically from Lateralus, and it's even a step up from "progressive metal." Particularly with Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned, it's now reaching into the realm of experimental metal. That should make you all happy; it has gotten to the point where Tool are challenging themselves so much that they have actually transcended the progressive metal genre.

One thing Tool have become masters at in my opinion, which sets them even further apart from other similar bands (as if any band is similar to Tool), is texturing. Tool's ability to texture their music is completely unmatched, and 10,000 Days is really the first concrete evidence of that. Lateralus was an improvement with regard to texture, but 10,000 Days is a perfection of it. Each note on each instrument fits flawlessly in between each note on each other instrument, and they weave together to make Tool sound like a machine throughout the whole album. They sound like one cohesive and fluid unit. Sure, you can listen to Karnivool, or Porcupine Tree, or The Mars Volta, or even Meshuggah, but it's never quite the same, and it's because the parts are not written to mesh as well as they do in Tool.

To bring this back on topic, my point is that 10,000 Days was a direction Tool needed go. They're artists. They knew they couldn't please everybody with a follow up to an album as good as Lateralus, so they did what true artists do: they challenged themselves to explore and break artistic boundaries, and they wrote music for their own sake, not for anybody's else. This band does not make the same record twice, and that's why 10,000 Days will still be relevant in 20 years, just like Undertow is still relevant nearly 20 years later. Even if you don't like 10,000 Days very much, at least find it within yourself to appreciate that about Tool. It is their unique desire to grow and progress that allows them to continue blowing our minds album after album. I think they need to explore themselves and their boundaries further with their fifth album, even if nobody likes what the end result is, and that's what I want to see.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
hellboy1975's Avatar hellboy1975
06-29-2011, 03:42 AM

never forget, never forgive
Old 06-29-2011, 03:42 AM   #444
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619

never forget, never forgive
06-29-2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegean_okra View Post
silly lyrics, rehashed and/or uninspired riffs, songs that go on longer than they need to and a lack of cohesion all suggest that tool have not "broken the musical boundaries" that they are so renowned for doing.
Tool aren't renowned for breaking musical boundaries and I don't think they've ever claimed that themselves. Also I'd like to hear what riffs you think are rehashed because all I hear is nodding to other bands/songs influences. This is something that Adam has always done. Nods to the Melvin's, King Crimson and even Meshuggah. I hear similarities in riffs between Third Eye and Rosetta Stoned but I'd be surprised if that wasn't intentional. Those two songs have similar lyrical themes. Again, I see that riff as a nod to Third Eye.

Either that or Adam Jones is such an incompetent guitar player that he doesn't know he's copying himself. I find that unlikely.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:01 AM   #445
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200

Quote:
silly lyrics, rehashed and/or uninspired riffs, songs that go on longer than they need to and a lack of cohesion all suggest that tool have not "broken the musical boundaries" that they are so renowned for doing.
Tool aren't renowned for breaking musical boundaries and I don't think they've ever claimed that themselves. Also I'd like to hear what riffs you think are rehashed because all I hear is nodding to other bands/songs influences. This is something that Adam has always done. Nods to the Melvin's, King Crimson and even Meshuggah. I hear similarities in riffs between Third Eye and Rosetta Stoned but I'd be surprised if that wasn't intentional. Those two songs have similar lyrical themes. Again, I see that riff as a nod to Third Eye.

Either that or Adam Jones is such an incompetent guitar player that he doesn't know he's copying himself. I find that unlikely.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
06-29-2011, 05:16 AM

I never understood the whole "complaining that a Tool album sounds like Tool" issue.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #446
crows before hoes

I never understood the whole "complaining that a Tool album sounds like Tool" issue.
06-29-2011, 07:06 AM

Is that what is happening here?
Old 06-29-2011, 07:06 AM   #447
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860

Is that what is happening here?
InertUniformity's Avatar InertUniformity
06-29-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by withSpirit View Post
Are you fucking kidding? This is going to sound pretentious, but do people (including a lot of Tool fans) just have no ear for intellectual music?

Define "intellectual music". Is Tool intellectual because of danny careys time signatures? is that all it takes to be intelectual? The only time i would ever describe tool as being intellectual is in interviews, and if you have ever seen an interview w the band, you can tell very quickly that they seem to be more aptly described by the word "silly".

IMO when Tool is at there best, its not bc they are being intellectual, its because the music sounds good. Saying that tools music is intellectual sounds like another way of saying "it sounds good to me".
Old 06-29-2011, 07:07 AM   #448
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

Quote:
Are you fucking kidding? This is going to sound pretentious, but do people (including a lot of Tool fans) just have no ear for intellectual music?

Define "intellectual music". Is Tool intellectual because of danny careys time signatures? is that all it takes to be intelectual? The only time i would ever describe tool as being intellectual is in interviews, and if you have ever seen an interview w the band, you can tell very quickly that they seem to be more aptly described by the word "silly".

IMO when Tool is at there best, its not bc they are being intellectual, its because the music sounds good. Saying that tools music is intellectual sounds like another way of saying "it sounds good to me".
06-29-2011, 12:56 PM

maybe
Old 06-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #449
rsh
be happy with what
you have to be happy with
Suicide Booth ID: 2

Bincount™: 18992

maybe
06-29-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
i expect we will get a track like this; possibly several. i would be delighted were this the case. just please, nothing like wings for marie.
What the hell is wrong with Wings???? I love them.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #450
Banned.

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
i expect we will get a track like this; possibly several. i would be delighted were this the case. just please, nothing like wings for marie.
06-29-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
I think what he means by "intellectual music" is that the lyrics cause people to think about more than just the music itself. They spur self-reflection and ignite debate.

Or maybe not. Maybe I should just shut the fuck up.
I'd like to hear a song in which the lyrics make me think about just the music.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #451
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
I think what he means by "intellectual music" is that the lyrics cause people to think about more than just the music itself. They spur self-reflection and ignite debate.

Or maybe not. Maybe I should just shut the fuck up.
I'd like to hear a song in which the lyrics make me think about just the music.
06-29-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobahn View Post
haters gonna hate.

In truth though; gotta realize that not everyone likes Tool for the same reasons.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #452
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobahn View Post
haters gonna hate.

In truth though; gotta realize that not everyone likes Tool for the same reasons.
06-30-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post
haters gonna hate.

I believe this to be true.

I'm critical of 10kD a lot of the time, but thats only bc of what I am comparing it to. Taken at face value 10kd is a hell of an entertaining album.

Does anyone else rememebr back in 06 when the opening riff to Vicarious first leaked on some radio station somewhere? That was a good feel.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:37 AM   #453
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post
haters gonna hate.

I'm critical of 10kD a lot of the time, but thats only bc of what I am comparing it to. Taken at face value 10kd is a hell of an entertaining album.

Does anyone else rememebr back in 06 when the opening riff to Vicarious first leaked on some radio station somewhere? That was a good feel.
06-30-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InertUniformity View Post

I do, I remember skipping one of my college courses to hear it, good times
Old 06-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #454
Watch the Weather Change

Bincount™: 4444

Quote:
Originally Posted by InertUniformity View Post

I do, I remember skipping one of my college courses to hear it, good times
UtUmNo1's Avatar UtUmNo1
06-30-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy1975 View Post
Brief summary:
*Adam, Justin and Danny have been writing full time since March.
*In an interview in February Danny claimed that 4 songs were written.
*I've been told by my sources that there hasn't been any recordings, but some people have been lucky enough to have heard some of the work in progress.
*No idea how much involvement Maynard has had to this point.
*I expect they will hit the studio not too long after the APC tour finishes.
*Blair's prediction of a May 2012 release probably isn't far off the mark.
Thank you, good sir.

....then God is not dead.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #455
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 4207

Quote:
Brief summary:
*Adam, Justin and Danny have been writing full time since March.
*In an interview in February Danny claimed that 4 songs were written.
*I've been told by my sources that there hasn't been any recordings, but some people have been lucky enough to have heard some of the work in progress.
*No idea how much involvement Maynard has had to this point.
*I expect they will hit the studio not too long after the APC tour finishes.
*Blair's prediction of a May 2012 release probably isn't far off the mark.
Thank you, good sir.

....then God is not dead.
06-30-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtUmNo1 View Post
Thank you, good sir.
Add to that list the Puscifer album and tour and you can probably add a couple of months to that timeline, though a lot of it depends on how much input Maynard has had up until this point. There's no reason to think it's anything other than "very little" at this stage.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #456
crows before hoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtUmNo1 View Post
Thank you, good sir.
Add to that list the Puscifer album and tour and you can probably add a couple of months to that timeline, though a lot of it depends on how much input Maynard has had up until this point. There's no reason to think it's anything other than "very little" at this stage.
06-30-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:

you will not deny that tool is an evolution of music, correct? if that is the case, then opiate, undertow, and aenima carry their own weight and merit. tool had to learn how to write increasingly "epic" (hate that word now because of the internet, but it is the most applicable) songs. if they had started with lateralus and then done 3 10k days like albums they would be another lost prog band. complexity for its own sake has buried thousands of talented musicians in obscurity. who ever talks about gong?

aenima in particular is their bridge album. that to me is still their most solid album with the best mix of straightforward groove-laden music and creative flourishes. third eye, aenema, 46 and 2, pushit, and eulogy ALL surpass their counterpart tracks on 10k days in my opinion.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #457
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

Quote:

you will not deny that tool is an evolution of music, correct? if that is the case, then opiate, undertow, and aenima carry their own weight and merit. tool had to learn how to write increasingly "epic" (hate that word now because of the internet, but it is the most applicable) songs. if they had started with lateralus and then done 3 10k days like albums they would be another lost prog band. complexity for its own sake has buried thousands of talented musicians in obscurity. who ever talks about gong?

aenima in particular is their bridge album. that to me is still their most solid album with the best mix of straightforward groove-laden music and creative flourishes. third eye, aenema, 46 and 2, pushit, and eulogy ALL surpass their counterpart tracks on 10k days in my opinion.
06-30-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
i don't mind waiting a few more months for the new album; it's not like i don't have anything better to do. my feeling is that it'll be worth it.
I agree. Obviously I'd like to hear some Tool material sooner rather than later, but it makes very little difference to my day to day life (Fourtheye commitments aside)
Old 06-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #458
crows before hoes

Quote:
i don't mind waiting a few more months for the new album; it's not like i don't have anything better to do. my feeling is that it'll be worth it.
I agree. Obviously I'd like to hear some Tool material sooner rather than later, but it makes very little difference to my day to day life (Fourtheye commitments aside)
07-01-2011, 06:29 AM

the wait doesn't affect me until the "leaked info" stage where we get the fake tracklists and review snippets. i think at that point the real potential starts to dawn on me. i dont think this makes me better than anyone, but undertow was when i got into tool, so i got the pleasure of being blown away by aenima, i got to drool over salival (or salivate, missed opportunity perhaps?) and then be blown to pieces by lateralus. the anticipation for 10k days turned out to be better than the album, but the whole package was definitely something i didnt regret looking forward to or purchasing.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:29 AM   #459
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

the wait doesn't affect me until the "leaked info" stage where we get the fake tracklists and review snippets. i think at that point the real potential starts to dawn on me. i dont think this makes me better than anyone, but undertow was when i got into tool, so i got the pleasure of being blown away by aenima, i got to drool over salival (or salivate, missed opportunity perhaps?) and then be blown to pieces by lateralus. the anticipation for 10k days turned out to be better than the album, but the whole package was definitely something i didnt regret looking forward to or purchasing.
dan's Avatar dan
07-01-2011, 06:48 AM

the anticipation to 10kd was epic
Old 07-01-2011, 06:48 AM   #460
dan
tool fan

Bincount™: 33962

the anticipation to 10kd was epic
07-01-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praefector View Post
Man, you speak like a God.

oh, that's right it's because of this gangsta ass life i lead"
-bogsnarth

www.soundcloud.com/riff
Old 07-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #461
Can't you...SEE?

Bincount™: 4906

Quote:
Man, you speak like a God.

oh, that's right it's because of this gangsta ass life i lead"
-bogsnarth

www.soundcloud.com/riff
07-01-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
my biggest gripe with 10000 days is that they tried to hard to make every song fucking epic and ended up with a rather boring album that lacked cohesion. i'm happy with danny's remark about making songs that are more "to the point" this time around.
Long winded post here. I'm also going to run the risk of sounding like a damn contrarian, but I don't think I can, in good conscience, determine whether the band is employing "complexity for its own sake". That seems like a subjective assessment to me. I mean, what metrics are people using to make that kind of determination?

As I see things, Tool tries to make everything "fucking epic". For me the question is, does the music sound genuine or forced. Another totally subjective assessment. But I think we can all agree that a consensus seems to exist that 10kd felt less "cohesive" than Lateralus or Aenima, no? If cohesion is the issue then we should consider the fact that it might not be the music that isn't up to par, but the package as a whole. To me 10kd was problematicaly funny and serious at the same time. That is still my only critique. There is some drug silliness (The Pot, Rosetta Stoned), but then there is some seriously sobering shit as well (Jambi, Wings for Marie). I think that the band perfected the silly/serious dichotomy with Aenima.

Its also possible we have different definitions of the word "epic". For instance, at this point can anyone here imagine Tool playing in even a smallish venue? Besides the various segues, what do you consider to be the most pithy Tool song? Probably something off of the first LP right? So following that logic, is it really a bad thing that Tool tries to make their music sound "fucking epic"? It just seems like they (the band) know what they are. They know their strengths and weaknesses, I suppose.

I think it would be much worse if (and perhaps this is actually what you mean when you suggest that in 10kd the band forced the "epic" card on us) the band became, as Adam has spoken about, a sub-par cover-band of itself.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #462
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
my biggest gripe with 10000 days is that they tried to hard to make every song fucking epic and ended up with a rather boring album that lacked cohesion. i'm happy with danny's remark about making songs that are more "to the point" this time around.
Long winded post here. I'm also going to run the risk of sounding like a damn contrarian, but I don't think I can, in good conscience, determine whether the band is employing "complexity for its own sake". That seems like a subjective assessment to me. I mean, what metrics are people using to make that kind of determination?

As I see things, Tool tries to make everything "fucking epic". For me the question is, does the music sound genuine or forced. Another totally subjective assessment. But I think we can all agree that a consensus seems to exist that 10kd felt less "cohesive" than Lateralus or Aenima, no? If cohesion is the issue then we should consider the fact that it might not be the music that isn't up to par, but the package as a whole. To me 10kd was problematicaly funny and serious at the same time. That is still my only critique. There is some drug silliness (The Pot, Rosetta Stoned), but then there is some seriously sobering shit as well (Jambi, Wings for Marie). I think that the band perfected the silly/serious dichotomy with Aenima.

Its also possible we have different definitions of the word "epic". For instance, at this point can anyone here imagine Tool playing in even a smallish venue? Besides the various segues, what do you consider to be the most pithy Tool song? Probably something off of the first LP right? So following that logic, is it really a bad thing that Tool tries to make their music sound "fucking epic"? It just seems like they (the band) know what they are. They know their strengths and weaknesses, I suppose.

I think it would be much worse if (and perhaps this is actually what you mean when you suggest that in 10kd the band forced the "epic" card on us) the band became, as Adam has spoken about, a sub-par cover-band of itself.
07-01-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
stop stealing my posts
Old 07-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #463
On Probation

Bincount™: 7922

Quote:
stop stealing my posts
Emericana's Avatar Emericana
07-06-2011, 03:45 PM

LOL. This is the first and last time I am ever going to look at what is going on in this thread
Old 07-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #464
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

LOL. This is the first and last time I am ever going to look at what is going on in this thread
Bogart's Avatar Bogart
07-06-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emericana View Post
Doubt it...it will really blow up once some official news is posted
Old 07-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #465
Watch the Weather Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emericana View Post
Doubt it...it will really blow up once some official news is posted
200L's Avatar 200L
07-12-2011, 07:15 AM

I believe that this tracklist would have made the album a little bit more cohesive:

Jambi
Vicarious
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
The Pot
Wings
10,000 Days
Intension
RIT

I for one, love the album regardless and cannot wait for 2012.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:15 AM   #466
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 26

I believe that this tracklist would have made the album a little bit more cohesive:

Jambi
Vicarious
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
The Pot
Wings
10,000 Days
Intension
RIT

07-12-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200L View Post

Jambi
Vicarious
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
The Pot
Wings
10,000 Days
Intension
RIT

That would be pretty interesting. A part of me really likes that, but also seems like the album really slows down towards the end.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:18 AM   #467
Just chillin

Bincount™: 16

Quote:

Jambi
Vicarious
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
The Pot
Wings
10,000 Days
Intension
RIT

That would be pretty interesting. A part of me really likes that, but also seems like the album really slows down towards the end.
200L's Avatar 200L
07-12-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel View Post
That's what I like about that particular playlist: it starts out fast and heavy and then tapers off into slower, lighter; ending with the heaviness of RIT's climax, it seems fitting.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #468
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel View Post
That's what I like about that particular playlist: it starts out fast and heavy and then tapers off into slower, lighter; ending with the heaviness of RIT's climax, it seems fitting.
07-12-2011, 10:15 AM

Yep, man, you've got me thinkin'! Seems like the track order really does make a difference.
Wonder, why couldn't they arrange the tracks in such a sense-making style as in Lateralus. Ticks in between of Lateralus and D/R/T kicks ass IMO!
I like the particular order you've made up. Especially "The Pot", retaining its chapter dividing role. Just after the abrupt, rhythmically broken ending of The Pot the repeating bell and Adam's arpeggio delicately raise the curtain of Wings... Why it's not in this way? Another HolyGift?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #469

Bincount™: 35

Yep, man, you've got me thinkin'! Seems like the track order really does make a difference.
Wonder, why couldn't they arrange the tracks in such a sense-making style as in Lateralus. Ticks in between of Lateralus and D/R/T kicks ass IMO!
I like the particular order you've made up. Especially "The Pot", retaining its chapter dividing role. Just after the abrupt, rhythmically broken ending of The Pot the repeating bell and Adam's arpeggio delicately raise the curtain of Wings... Why it's not in this way? Another HolyGift?
elusivEuphoria's Avatar elusivEuphoria
07-12-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Jambi
Vicarious
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
The Pot
Wings
10,000 Days
Intension
RIT

That's nice but this would be better discussed elsewhere, since this thread is about the upcoming album.

I'll plug my own tread.. http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=119979
Old 07-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #470
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:

Jambi
Vicarious
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
The Pot
Wings
10,000 Days
Intension
RIT

That's nice but this would be better discussed elsewhere, since this thread is about the upcoming album.

I'll plug my own tread.. http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=119979
dan's Avatar dan
07-12-2011, 04:55 PM

Track order isn't what makes me think that 10,000 Days is Tool's weakest album to date. I just don't like the songs as much as those on previous albums, and it definitely doesn't feel like one piece of work like Lateralus generally does.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #471
dan
tool fan

Track order isn't what makes me think that 10,000 Days is Tool's weakest album to date. I just don't like the songs as much as those on previous albums, and it definitely doesn't feel like one piece of work like Lateralus generally does.
07-13-2011, 05:13 AM

id rather they not release anything if its going to be centered around maynard changing his style because he cant cut it anymore

i dont hear ozzy, elton john or mick jagger crying about their voice

10 song instrumental with maynard on synths fuck yeah
Old 07-13-2011, 05:13 AM   #472
rsh
be happy with what
you have to be happy with
Suicide Booth ID: 2

Bincount™: 18992

id rather they not release anything if its going to be centered around maynard changing his style because he cant cut it anymore

i dont hear ozzy, elton john or mick jagger crying about their voice

10 song instrumental with maynard on synths fuck yeah
07-13-2011, 07:01 AM

im still patiently waiting for danny careys drum jack-offery tour.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #473
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

im still patiently waiting for danny careys drum jack-offery tour.
dan's Avatar dan
07-13-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swall View Post
"weakest album to date" is a very pessimistic statement. Are you expecting future offerings to be worse? or, are you an insider that has access to upcoming material and know this to be fact?
That statement implies nothing of future releases. Rather, "to date" means everything released until now. Which is true, because 10000 Days isn't better than any of their previous albums.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:12 AM   #474
dan
tool fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swall View Post
"weakest album to date" is a very pessimistic statement. Are you expecting future offerings to be worse? or, are you an insider that has access to upcoming material and know this to be fact?
That statement implies nothing of future releases. Rather, "to date" means everything released until now. Which is true, because 10000 Days isn't better than any of their previous albums.
07-13-2011, 05:39 PM

I like how people in this place state opinions as fact.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #475

dan's Avatar dan
07-13-2011, 05:45 PM

Which Tool albums do you think are worse than 10,000 Days, Ravenpig?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #476
dan
tool fan

07-13-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenpig View Post
I like how people assume that anything said in a forum isn't an opinion.

Also, Undertow is worse than 10k Days.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #477
crows before hoes

Quote:
I like how people assume that anything said in a forum isn't an opinion.

07-13-2011, 06:47 PM

Yea well, I like apples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Let me first say that I just read your post right above mine, and that my previous post was not aimed directly at you. What I wrote does sound douche-bagish though, so my apologies.

That being said, "worse" than 10,000 Days is much to harsh, but I do not believe Opiate or Undertow to be at 10,000 Days level. Even after saying that, there are certain parts of Undertow that I don't think they EVER topped, Ænema and Lateralus included.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:47 PM   #478

Yea well, I like apples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Let me first say that I just read your post right above mine, and that my previous post was not aimed directly at you. What I wrote does sound douche-bagish though, so my apologies.

That being said, "worse" than 10,000 Days is much to harsh, but I do not believe Opiate or Undertow to be at 10,000 Days level. Even after saying that, there are certain parts of Undertow that I don't think they EVER topped, Ænema and Lateralus included.
Bogart's Avatar Bogart
07-13-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:

I think I can agree with this.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #479
Watch the Weather Change

Quote:

I think I can agree with this.
Neel's Avatar Neel
07-13-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
people in this place state opinions as fact.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man. Do people have to qualify everything they say with a disclaimer that is just their opinion, or can you just save everybody a little bit of time and effort by having that realization on your own?

Last edited by Neel; 07-13-2011 at 06:59 PM..
Old 07-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #480
Just chillin

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
people in this place state opinions as fact.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man. Do people have to qualify everything they say with a disclaimer that is just their opinion, or can you just save everybody a little bit of time and effort by having that realization on your own?

Last edited by Neel; 07-13-2011 at 06:59 PM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply