Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 11. Viginti Tres
User Name
Password
Choke's Avatar Choke
07-17-2007, 11:21 AM

Viginti Tres sounds like a Jimi Hendrix Experience song off the album Electric Ladyland titled- ...And The Gods Made Love
Old 07-17-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 24
Sounds Like Hendrix

Viginti Tres sounds like a Jimi Hendrix Experience song off the album Electric Ladyland titled- ...And The Gods Made Love
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
TJP's Avatar TJP
07-28-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choke View Post
dude i thought that
with that low voice thats slurred
and its weird how ...And The Gods Made Love is a intro
and Viginti Tres is like an outro
LOL ...And The Gods Made Love finishes at 1:23 on my WMP

Last edited by TJP; 07-28-2007 at 06:05 PM..
Old 07-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
TJP
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Sounds Like Hendrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choke View Post
dude i thought that

Last edited by TJP; 07-28-2007 at 06:05 PM..
Choke's Avatar Choke
07-29-2007, 08:10 AM

i was listening to Justin DJ on some new york radio station before their final concert in the states, and he put on a hendrix song Hear My Train a Comin, and he talked about how great Hendrix was.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:10 AM   #3
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 24

i was listening to Justin DJ on some new york radio station before their final concert in the states, and he put on a hendrix song Hear My Train a Comin, and he talked about how great Hendrix was.
Anon-Imus's Avatar Anon-Imus
07-30-2007, 08:19 AM

I also saw Danny and Maynard host a Australian MTV-like show where they introduced their favorite videos. Among a long list of 70's and 80's Rock icons, I remember Danny said something about Jimi being an influence. Weird. Saw it on Ewetube. It doesn't show the videos they play, but it is fun to watch them do a television show. The whole band should have show where they talk about things at random, I'd watch every episode.

But what about the distorted voice? I am hard of hearing when it comes to deciphering the distorted works of Tool, but I hear something from far away, almost coming/floating down and landing. And soon after the real deep voice, says something almost german or foreign language-like. I hear "Das ist guuuuuuuuuuut," but that might be a flashback from German 101.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

I also saw Danny and Maynard host a Australian MTV-like show where they introduced their favorite videos. Among a long list of 70's and 80's Rock icons, I remember Danny said something about Jimi being an influence. Weird. Saw it on Ewetube. It doesn't show the videos they play, but it is fun to watch them do a television show. The whole band should have show where they talk about things at random, I'd watch every episode.

But what about the distorted voice? I am hard of hearing when it comes to deciphering the distorted works of Tool, but I hear something from far away, almost coming/floating down and landing. And soon after the real deep voice, says something almost german or foreign language-like. I hear "Das ist guuuuuuuuuuut," but that might be a flashback from German 101.
A Tad Bit Catatonic's Avatar A Tad Bit Catatonic
07-30-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJP View Post
dude i thought that
That's a very cool observation. I'm very familiar with "And the Gods Made Love" - if you listen to that real loud, it's just incredible and mindblowing. It was one of Jimi's experiments with stereo sound and fx, and a very effective one at that.

By the way, they (Tool) had spoken in prerelease interviews about using a famous musician's voice on this album, but that they couldn't get permission from their record label. Personally, I think it's probably Jimi. Also Adam's playing, though it's immensely different from Jimi's, it does have its similarities (eg use of feedback). And yeah, it's widely known Justin is a Hendrix freak.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:37 AM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJP View Post
dude i thought that
That's a very cool observation. I'm very familiar with "And the Gods Made Love" - if you listen to that real loud, it's just incredible and mindblowing. It was one of Jimi's experiments with stereo sound and fx, and a very effective one at that.

By the way, they (Tool) had spoken in prerelease interviews about using a famous musician's voice on this album, but that they couldn't get permission from their record label. Personally, I think it's probably Jimi. Also Adam's playing, though it's immensely different from Jimi's, it does have its similarities (eg use of feedback). And yeah, it's widely known Justin is a Hendrix freak.
08-07-2007, 10:01 AM

ha, Jimi was also 23 when he first stepped onto British soil and became a superstar a week later.

Just goes to show you can find a connection in almost anything.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:01 AM   #6

Bincount™: 1

ha, Jimi was also 23 when he first stepped onto British soil and became a superstar a week later.

Just goes to show you can find a connection in almost anything.
TJP's Avatar TJP
11-30-2007, 09:08 AM

You Gotta Love the Noise Music!
Old 11-30-2007, 09:08 AM   #7
TJP

You Gotta Love the Noise Music!
12-02-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Acherontia Styx View Post
jimi hendrix has inspired many, but you'd never know from the sound of tool
Funny, I was just thinking about this... Posted 1983 as a selection on my "studio recorded cover" poll in the main 10k forum. Would really love to hear Justin's interpretation of that song.

I can hear the influence in Tool. Have been making the comparisson for a long time, and being laughed at heh. Truth be told, any guitarist, or even musician worth his salt has got to at least admire the guy - and when they finally do discover him, they're bound to try and incorporate some aspects of his playing in their repertoire. They would be a fool not to, in my opinion - so much to learn from him. I mean the guy has become a cultural icon now, he does Microsoft commercials sigh...

I mean when Miles Davis (very commonly agreed up by many as the greatest musician of all time) was asked who he really admired and respected, and he replied something like: "Jimi Hendrix, that mutha fuckin Machine Gun man"...

There's been a ton of interest and even scripts floating around for a biopic about him, for some years now. Alot of great black actors wanting to play him too, Lawrence Fishburne is one (I don't think he'd be too great haha). The dude from Outkast looks like him heh. But were it to be done, I think the Director of "Ray" should do it.

Last edited by A Tad Bit Catatonic; 12-02-2007 at 07:09 PM..
Old 12-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
jimi hendrix has inspired many, but you'd never know from the sound of tool
Funny, I was just thinking about this... Posted 1983 as a selection on my "studio recorded cover" poll in the main 10k forum. Would really love to hear Justin's interpretation of that song.

I can hear the influence in Tool. Have been making the comparisson for a long time, and being laughed at heh. Truth be told, any guitarist, or even musician worth his salt has got to at least admire the guy - and when they finally do discover him, they're bound to try and incorporate some aspects of his playing in their repertoire. They would be a fool not to, in my opinion - so much to learn from him. I mean the guy has become a cultural icon now, he does Microsoft commercials sigh...

I mean when Miles Davis (very commonly agreed up by many as the greatest musician of all time) was asked who he really admired and respected, and he replied something like: "Jimi Hendrix, that mutha fuckin Machine Gun man"...

There's been a ton of interest and even scripts floating around for a biopic about him, for some years now. Alot of great black actors wanting to play him too, Lawrence Fishburne is one (I don't think he'd be too great haha). The dude from Outkast looks like him heh. But were it to be done, I think the Director of "Ray" should do it.

Last edited by A Tad Bit Catatonic; 12-02-2007 at 07:09 PM..
12-07-2007, 01:39 PM

I just typed out a response for like 20 minutes then it got deleted, so I don't have the patience to go into the detail that I did which I apologize for (I had a damn well written response).

But if you want a really literal example it would be the solo to Jambi. The unison bends. More subtle examples are all over Adam's guitar work. Also Mitch Mitchell, and Danny share a Motzartian (is that even a word?? =) approach, and are often criticized for having too many notes, and being "too busy"...

Aside from that, Jimi and Adam are two of the very few guitarists who use feedback effectively and on that level.

Tool and Hendrix also stand on a pedestal for their supreme blend of technical virtuosity and artistic credability, which not many musicians share. Ideally they stand for the same thing - to me anyway.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

I just typed out a response for like 20 minutes then it got deleted, so I don't have the patience to go into the detail that I did which I apologize for (I had a damn well written response).

But if you want a really literal example it would be the solo to Jambi. The unison bends. More subtle examples are all over Adam's guitar work. Also Mitch Mitchell, and Danny share a Motzartian (is that even a word?? =) approach, and are often criticized for having too many notes, and being "too busy"...

Aside from that, Jimi and Adam are two of the very few guitarists who use feedback effectively and on that level.

Tool and Hendrix also stand on a pedestal for their supreme blend of technical virtuosity and artistic credability, which not many musicians share. Ideally they stand for the same thing - to me anyway.
12-09-2007, 11:57 AM

Yeah, I can't hear it either.

And to the Anon-Imus guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Imus View Post
I hear "Das ist guuuuuuuuuuut," but that might be a flashback from German 101.
There's no "gut" in it. "Gut" sounds different. Trust me, I'm German.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #10
Sir Satanic Magic Bamboo

Bincount™: 84

Yeah, I can't hear it either.

And to the Anon-Imus guy

Quote:
I hear "Das ist guuuuuuuuuuut," but that might be a flashback from German 101.
There's no "gut" in it. "Gut" sounds different. Trust me, I'm German.
12-10-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Well at least you have a song to support your claim, but I'm listening to it now

and I'm not hearing it...maybe a little of someone else there with the voice/wah sound

I love Tool but there's just no similarity in the way the guitar is played...
I'm perfectly willing to admit it's a tenuous and very abstract comparrison, and therefore esoteric. But I've probably listened to each of Jimi's albums 10,000 times, as well as Tool's, and I've listened very very closely. And I've played guitar for 15 years plus. Adam has obviously picked and chosen to remain original, unlike so many of today's reconstituted clones. So I could go into the idiosynchracies for days, and it's probably bore you to tears. There are alot there... alot of shared techniques and same ideas (which I could go into heavily, but just don't have the energy to do that at the moment) behind capturing and inspiring emotion. Both the Jimi Hendrix Experience and Tool (one much more modern than the other, though the former was very modern for its time) are very powerful groups composed of a small number of exceptionally talented (infact virtuoso talented) musicians (as well as having jazz drummers playing hard rock). Both could be categorized as "acid rock", or "far out there" lyrically covering broad topics from the inner mind to the outer, inside very well thought out and highly structured musical compositions, . And before Jimi died he was considering Emerson, Lake and Palmer - he was actually moving towards progressive rock... wish he would have made it there, would ihave been a sight to behold and a sound to be heard for sure.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Well at least you have a song to support your claim, but I'm listening to it now

and I'm not hearing it...maybe a little of someone else there with the voice/wah sound

I love Tool but there's just no similarity in the way the guitar is played...
I'm perfectly willing to admit it's a tenuous and very abstract comparrison, and therefore esoteric. But I've probably listened to each of Jimi's albums 10,000 times, as well as Tool's, and I've listened very very closely. And I've played guitar for 15 years plus. Adam has obviously picked and chosen to remain original, unlike so many of today's reconstituted clones. So I could go into the idiosynchracies for days, and it's probably bore you to tears. There are alot there... alot of shared techniques and same ideas (which I could go into heavily, but just don't have the energy to do that at the moment) behind capturing and inspiring emotion. Both the Jimi Hendrix Experience and Tool (one much more modern than the other, though the former was very modern for its time) are very powerful groups composed of a small number of exceptionally talented (infact virtuoso talented) musicians (as well as having jazz drummers playing hard rock). Both could be categorized as "acid rock", or "far out there" lyrically covering broad topics from the inner mind to the outer, inside very well thought out and highly structured musical compositions, . And before Jimi died he was considering Emerson, Lake and Palmer - he was actually moving towards progressive rock... wish he would have made it there, would ihave been a sight to behold and a sound to be heard for sure.
12-18-2007, 07:07 AM

I don't think that you could find a modern rock band that could possibly say that it hasn't been influenced by the guitar playing of Jimi Hendrix. He completely revolutionized the way that guitarists approach their art. He squeezed sounds out of a guitar that no one had ever dreamed of. If in the least, Tool and Hendrix are related in that Hendrix inspired Tool to experiment in sound.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:07 AM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

I don't think that you could find a modern rock band that could possibly say that it hasn't been influenced by the guitar playing of Jimi Hendrix. He completely revolutionized the way that guitarists approach their art. He squeezed sounds out of a guitar that no one had ever dreamed of. If in the least, Tool and Hendrix are related in that Hendrix inspired Tool to experiment in sound.
02-11-2009, 08:14 PM

I think both bands have revolutionized the "sound" for their individual areas, but being in different music genres. First, the Jimi Hendrix Experience had the "wah-wah" sound, took it from R&B, and put it to rock and blues. Jimi was a self-taught, poor kid from the middle of the South, and he made it big. And the way he died, because the ambulance didn't get to him in time to clear his airway from regurgitating an overdose of sleeping pills and whiskey, was tragic, I agree. I have delusions about "Ziggy Stardust" being about Jimi. Also, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" refers to standing in line at the local drugstore with Mr. Jimi. But, regardless, the impact was felt at his leaving this world.
To disagree with the threadmaster, I would akin Tool to Pink Floyd, as Tool similarly kept the progression of pushing the limits towards the pinnacle of a perfect "sound" for the human ear to process into synapses that give us pleasure, adrenaline, fear, or out-and-out primal hate.
The only difference between Jimi and Tool, is Jimi thought he was the best at it, and Tool aspires to inspire someone to do it better.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:14 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

I think both bands have revolutionized the "sound" for their individual areas, but being in different music genres. First, the Jimi Hendrix Experience had the "wah-wah" sound, took it from R&B, and put it to rock and blues. Jimi was a self-taught, poor kid from the middle of the South, and he made it big. And the way he died, because the ambulance didn't get to him in time to clear his airway from regurgitating an overdose of sleeping pills and whiskey, was tragic, I agree. I have delusions about "Ziggy Stardust" being about Jimi. Also, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" refers to standing in line at the local drugstore with Mr. Jimi. But, regardless, the impact was felt at his leaving this world.
To disagree with the threadmaster, I would akin Tool to Pink Floyd, as Tool similarly kept the progression of pushing the limits towards the pinnacle of a perfect "sound" for the human ear to process into synapses that give us pleasure, adrenaline, fear, or out-and-out primal hate.
The only difference between Jimi and Tool, is Jimi thought he was the best at it, and Tool aspires to inspire someone to do it better.
theamazingtool's Avatar theamazingtool
02-12-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
once again, sheer brilliance from Imon-Anus.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:33 AM   #14
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483

Quote:
dancingflame
02-19-2009, 09:53 AM

Old 02-19-2009, 09:53 AM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Negentropy
04-06-2009, 02:41 PM

Adam and Justin bot utilize feedback in musical ways and make their guitars sound like things other than what they are. Jimi Hendrix utilized feedback in musical ways and made his guitar sound like things other than a guitar. Tool doesn't improvise into new and unheard tangents on stage, Jimi did. They are similar in some respects, but very, very different overall. Sometimes I think Maynard is holding them back from an all out improv, but then again Adam is too modest of a player to really get out there in that way, Jimi wasn't, but sometimes I ask myself, "Jimi, for christ sake where did the song and other players go, you can't just leave them behind like that." I think Justin might be closer to Jimi than Adam, but really no one can touch Jimi. That's all I have to say.

Last edited by Negentropy; 04-06-2009 at 03:11 PM..
Old 04-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #16
Banned.

Bincount™: 108

Adam and Justin bot utilize feedback in musical ways and make their guitars sound like things other than what they are. Jimi Hendrix utilized feedback in musical ways and made his guitar sound like things other than a guitar. Tool doesn't improvise into new and unheard tangents on stage, Jimi did. They are similar in some respects, but very, very different overall. Sometimes I think Maynard is holding them back from an all out improv, but then again Adam is too modest of a player to really get out there in that way, Jimi wasn't, but sometimes I ask myself, "Jimi, for christ sake where did the song and other players go, you can't just leave them behind like that." I think Justin might be closer to Jimi than Adam, but really no one can touch Jimi. That's all I have to say.

Last edited by Negentropy; 04-06-2009 at 03:11 PM..
06-28-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingtool View Post
We are all tools in the eye of the one, true tiger.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingtool View Post
We are all tools in the eye of the one, true tiger.
infinitee's Avatar infinitee
06-29-2010, 09:33 AM

Great comeback, though I usually call it a fail after eight seconds, you managed to comeback a year and a half later.

kudos!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #18
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1385

Great comeback, though I usually call it a fail after eight seconds, you managed to comeback a year and a half later.

kudos!
GongJuErShiSan's Avatar GongJuErShiSan
01-20-2011, 09:30 AM

The "Sounds Like Hendrix" title got my attention. Hendrix had a song on a 78 rpm vinyl--"Third Stone From the Sun"--that when played at 45rpms is a conversation on an alien spacecraft, one landing on Earth.

Now, rpms for records (33, 45, or 78) were all about the speed at which the album was recorded. So, what are the chances that Viginti Tres was "recorded" at a speed of 23, and what would that mean in terms of a CD recording (since there doesn't seem to be any vinyl)?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

The "Sounds Like Hendrix" title got my attention. Hendrix had a song on a 78 rpm vinyl--"Third Stone From the Sun"--that when played at 45rpms is a conversation on an alien spacecraft, one landing on Earth.

Now, rpms for records (33, 45, or 78) were all about the speed at which the album was recorded. So, what are the chances that Viginti Tres was "recorded" at a speed of 23, and what would that mean in terms of a CD recording (since there doesn't seem to be any vinyl)?
02-06-2012, 10:38 PM

I'be tried speeding it up and slowing it down even further with software. Still no idea to this day. I like to think its greeting you get when you first step into oblivion.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

I'be tried speeding it up and slowing it down even further with software. Still no idea to this day. I like to think its greeting you get when you first step into oblivion.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply