opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 10-02-2006, 08:24 AM   #121
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/28 - Camden, NJ - Tweeter Center

my first TOOL show since 2002 and i'm in love all over again. maynard never disappoints and the band is so tight...it almost sounds pre-recorded. visual show was mind-numbing and fantastic.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:37 AM   #122
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyJoe View Post
I mean seriously, is there a better bar to drink at before a Tool show than Eulogy?
You would think so. The last time I saw them in 96, I wore a shirt that I got at the show and people were looking at me like I had 2 heads or something. So since then, I haven't bothered to wear a shirt of the band I'm going to see. Maybe I'm just getting old or something, scary.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:47 AM   #123
Level 1 - Lurker

Hey...
Was just thinking over that posted setlist and thought they played Sober....
does anyone else recall this?
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 12:00 PM   #124
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmom View Post
Well hello SirGrotius, aka dave:)
Yes, I noticed those 3 letters as well. Could of sworn it said ATF, but I was pretty far back so I'm not sure. Can anybody here clue us in?

That is actually a nod to Maynard's side project with NIN's Danny Loehner called Puscifer. They have a few tracks released, but I haven't heard them so I dunno how they sound or if its any good. I think they have a track on an Underworld soundtrack. And as a side note: You can see the band Puscifer (aka TOOL) in a skit on the HBO comedy show Mr. Show with Bob and David. They were on the very first episode and have a 10 second moment. Maynard is also on there helping good ol' Ronnie Dobbs walk at one point. Great show, if you haven't seen it. The Puscifer on that episode isn't the same as this one, obviously.

ANYWAY, onto the show:

My brother and I had an awesome spot in the pit for this one. We were dead center right in the back of the pit standing on a step designed into the rail keeping us penned in. It was an amazing spot, and IMO the absolute best in the house. We were only 12-15 heads from the stage, but being as we were at least a head higher than everyone else in front, we could see perfectly. i was wearing an Iron Maiden shirt and if I blocked you, I apologize, but no one said shit the entire time, so too little, way too late.

The laser show from that spot was amazing. I know some people think it was cheesy, but from where I was it looked really cool. The lattice work with the colors changing, the broad flat version that made the roof look extremely low and made it feel like it was a much smaller venue was really cool.

I thought the visuals on the mini tour were better on the screens though, and i was MUCH further away at that show. They were just bigger. it was still cool overall though. The white stage (and monitors) was cool with projections on the floor as well as the screens.

Honestly, the music speaks for itself, and I think they played their hearts out. I'm not going into my reviews for each song, because i liked them all, probably the best concert i've been to (maybe not the most fun, I've been in some really fun mosh pits and gone absolutely crazy at some metal/hardcore shows). But the overall feelings and emotions presented within their music is awe-inducing. I'll leave it at that.

My buddy was a little offended by the fact that Maynard said "Peace. The FUCK. out." After he had just stood in the rain and got drenched watching his/the band's show from way out on the lawn. He took it as a bit unappreciative, I guess. I felt the same way to a certain extent, even though i was in a good spot.

the crowd was very tame and not very rough, at least in the pit. and thats saying something considering the fact that you pretty much had to wear the person in front of you as a hat to be able to fit. I was pleasantly surprised at how little moshing there was.

Ok, thanks for reading. Hope I could help. and I'm glad most people here had a great time. That's the way a TOOL show should be.

~Matt

Oh yeah,and Fuck Pittsburgh.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 01:23 PM   #125
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbrat View Post
Hey...
They played Sober 5 months ago at the Tower Theater.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-02-2006, 01:50 PM   #126
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbrat View Post
Hey...
Negative. They didn't play Sober.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:51 AM   #127
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpongleyes View Post
the crowd was very tame and not very rough, at least in the pit. and thats saying something considering the fact that you pretty much had to wear the person in front of you as a hat to be able to fit. I was pleasantly surprised at how little moshing there was.

Most of the moshing was on lawn, right next to me. My pelvis is still alittle sore from being crushed up against the railing. I figured there would be alot of moshing right up front but when I finally got to go up there at the end, it was really tame looking.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #128
Level 3 - Talker

Toolbrat, I think they played about a note or two from Sober before Wings for Marie, or maybe some other song in their set (I forget). I remember hearing it and was wishfully thinking they'd play it. But that wishfulness went away in about two seconds. It may have been by accident, but it sure sounded like the beginning of Sober for the second or two they played it.

Most has been covered, but I'll just add that the sound at the back of the seated section was very good (I think it was Section 202, or whatever the center section is). It wasn't loud, but everything was very clear. Everyone around me was having fun so that added to my enjoyment.

Great performance by the band. Maynard was playful, funny, and interesting. I thought Danny had a very strong night. Justin and Adam were solid but didn't stand out as much. As a band as a whole, they had a very powerful sound.

Wish they would do away with Wings for Marie and Rosetta Stoned (but keep 10,000 Days). I'd rather hear Right in Two and maybe something from Undertow. Or they can switch up some songs in those places. Throw in any of these songs on any given night: Pushit, Right in Two, Prison Sex, Sober, Opiate or Jerk Off, Hooker with a Penis, Intolerance, or just about anything else off of Undertow. I know it's just my opinion, as worthless as it is, but I just thought I'd throw that out. It would be nice if they'd throw their older fans a bone once in awhile. Nevertheless, great set list and I can't complain one bit. I very much liked hearing their new songs for the first time. I wouldn't want the band to live off of their past releases (then they'd be washed up), but they can throw one older song in their set.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #129
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrealson View Post
...it almost sounds pre-recorded.
funny, I thought the same thing at a couple of points...
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 01:53 PM   #130
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show
I had pit tickets, but there was no moshing in the pit
I dont wanna hear how there shouldnt be moshing at TOOL shows
Not every song; that is crucial. Not even most songs
The sound, in my opinion, was better on the lawn that so close to the stage
As were the videos

hopefully Hartford is as good
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 04:15 PM   #131
Level 1 - Lurker

Tool Rocked Camden even tho i was soaked it was still the best 50 bucks i spent on lawn seats ever!!!!!!!!!! GOIN TO SEE THEM AT CONTINENTAL AIRLINES ARENA ALSO HHHHHEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLL YYYYYYYYEEEAAAAAAA SEE YA THERE SUKA"SSSS
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 12:26 PM   #132
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show, this was my 9th and ranks in the top half.

MJK: He was fired up tonight! Very animated, had a nice scream during Stinkfist. With the show being "outside" and it a bit nippy, I was hoping we'd see something different than the boots, jeans and cowboy hat, but it was basically the same. He came out with an ATF jacket, but that was off half way through the show. But I like the white stage. You could get a better view of him and see what was actually going on there. The past tour, the 4 of them seemed to form a box on stage, but this was almost a line. MJK and Danny in the middle/back, Adam/justin on the ends.

DANNY: This guy is fucking amazing. I am more and more impressed with him every time I see them. He never misses anything, it's technical perfection watching him.

ADAM: Like a fucking statue every time, I love it! I actually saw him move once during a song, up in Boston. Some one threw a T Shirt and it landed on his guitar. He whipped his head up and gave out a look, then brushed the T aside and went back to doing what he does best.

JUSTIN: He was really getting into the base, rocking with the riffs, etc.

I was with my buddy Brian and we had seen TOOL in NYC back in May. I read some of the reviews over the summer, and I was expecting "more of the same", but was delightfully surprised. We were in section 101, row U.

The highlights:

46 & 2. One of my favorites. I was afraid they dropped it in favor of W4M/10K, so I was stoked when I heard the opening riffs. They fucking nailed it in NYC in May, best one I've heard live, but this version was cool, too. They kind of rearranged the tempo and slowed it down just a bit, so the anticipation to the crescendo was a lot more built up. One of many nice surprises of the night.

Schism: Another change in tempo, another nice surprise! When the song breaks into the guitar solo, Adam just jumped it up a few beats and whipped through it, very cool! Then, they go back and play it again at the normal pace, so you get an extended version.

Wings for Marie/10K Days. Very cool to hear live. It's kind of sad, though. It's about his dead mother, him letting go, etc. It must be very hard for him to sing night in and night out. Honestly, it put a bit of a damper on the last 3 songs for me. I suppose that is kind of the point, to evoke some emotion, but after hearing that and then moving on to Lateralus/Vicar/Aenima, well, it was just kind of weird quick change of tone. I thnk it would be a great song to close with or lead into Intermission or Disposition/Reflection. To sharp of a change for me the way they did it here.

THE LASERS: I did not like the lasers, sans 10K days. During 10K, they had videos of clouds, and then the smoke was reflecting in the laser beams and created a more thorough effect of the video, but....Well, this is friggin Tool. Cutting edge, progressive. Last tour they had contortionists hanging from the ceiling and then those funky balloon balls spinning over fans. Laser light show? Been there, done that......20 years ago. I'd rather see them just keep it basic, or do something original, but lasers?????

Hmm, what else? Some new videos. Actually, a lot of new videos. I think the only ones that were the same were Stinkfist and Schism. They had the self cannibalizing snake for a lot of Lateralus, but if I remember correctly, he used to be on Parabol(a).

Sound was good. Loud, but not ear piercing. I like that.

Oh, the video for Rosetta Stoned/lost Keys. VERY COOL! The story is actually true, from one of Maynards roommmates from military school. They busted out one night and were drinking in the woods. He (the friend) wandered off to piss and didn't come back to the barracks until the next morning. And when they asked him what happened, that's when he went off on the rant all half cocked and speaking like he'd been coked up (or at least on a lot of Sudafed and Sunkist). I was on a another TOOL fan site and there was a link to UFO stories. It give the whole rundown and says how the story was the inspriation for a soon to be released TOOL song. They have a picture of the dude there, too. Same guy from the video from the concert (check the tatoo and hat).

Anyhow, that's enough of my ramblings. If you think I'm being critical, it's only in comparison to other TOOL shows. No other band even warrants a mention in the discussion.

Hope they start changing up the set lists soon.

See you all in Arizona Bay!
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: