opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Opiate » 2. Hush
User Name
Password
Old 03-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 0
you cant say what you want to

at first glance, this song seems playfully obvious. its a statement on free speech. and its also a "fuck you" to artists who hire people to write their songs, and to record labels trying to own their artists like they're merchandise. like madonna... but after a few listens it takes on a whole new deeper meaning.. he cant say anything he wants to or else no one will listen. hence, no one will buy their albums.. so, in a way hes "selling out" (hooker with a penis reference) to be successful with his music. he has to sing about what other people want him to, or else they'll never buy his albums..

you cant sing a song about your cat, because its too personal.. you cant say "fuck you all" because thats just too honest (lol).. when he says "just kidding" at the end, hes not just kidding about the: "Go fuck yourself, you piece of shit. Why don't you go kill yourself?".. hes also not kidding about the entire song.. hes kidding about just kidding.. the song is completely honest, but you cant just SAY "you cant say what you want to" (how redundant lol), because everyone else will claim, "well ive got free speech!".. while thats true, the point is that you cant USE your free speech to the full extent it was made for; what with political correctness, and all those dysfunctional insecure actresses

i dont think i can make it any more clear. and of course this is only my perspective.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #2
Banned.

Re: you cant say what you want to

how weird. i agree with this post for the most part...

but i think a better way to put it is that no one can go off talking about their real beliefs because people will think they're nuts. the whole band seems to center on Crowley's philosophies, and it was Crowley who said, "Those who discuss the contents of this Book are to be shunned by all, as centres of pestilence." - (the Comment in Liber Legis)

if an "illuminati-truther" goes off talking about reptiles taking over the world, you'd politely ask them to go back to their tin-foiled covered basement. if a southern baptist started preaching at you, you'd probably walk away without really listening... you can't just express every "truth" you believe in, because it has to appeal and connect with your audience. you can't alienate your audience by standing way out in space - there's no way they would be able to honestly associate with you.

a slight difference; i think the "just kidding" parts are in reference to "People tell me what to say, what to think, and what to play."

the first one essentially says; "ha, no they don't"
the second one takes that back and says; "ha, yes they do (or else we wouldn't even make sense to each other as human beings)"
and the third one takes THAT back and, again, says; "ha, no they don't"

basically, in order to make sense to your fellow species, you have to conform to their beliefs and ideals, because you won't ever be able to force them to see from yours... the responsibility of keeping in touch is on the speaker, and not the listener... but in realizing this, there is a certain amount of freedom you can exploit, and it is within this limited freedom that all artists and speakers seem to play in...

all in all, one of my top 5 favorite Tool songs.

Last edited by Malaclypse; 02-08-2015 at 02:28 PM..
Old 02-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #3

Bincount™: 7676

Did you really just do that?
Old 02-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
Banned.

lol i was re-listening to it. and being at 199 posts was tempting me (OCD).

plus, some slightly new insight - wasn't happy with OP anymore. and the first line was meant to be a joke

Last edited by Malaclypse; 02-08-2015 at 02:41 PM..
Old 02-08-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

Reptiles are taking over the world. And by reptiles, I mean aliases.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: