Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
marcus's Avatar marcus
07-07-2009, 05:35 PM

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert(except for me of course).
Old 07-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Gearhead

Bincount™: 3077
08.08.09 - Chicago, IL @ Lollapolooza

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert(except for me of course).
Kilkenny
08-08-2009, 08:47 PM

my 11th show it was a great one better then last week at APW
same set
Chicago-9/01,6/07, 8/09; Tokyo-8/06; Council Bluffs-5/07; Peoria-6/07; Milwaukee-7/07; Grand Rapids-7/07; Las Vegas-12/07(both shows), 7/10; New Jersey-8/09; Red Rocks-6/10(both shows); Los Angeles- 7/10(both shows); Dallas 1/12 (both shows); Toledo- 1/12; Ft Lauderdale-2/12; Orlando- 2/12;
Old 08-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 08.08.09 - Chicago, IL @ Lollapolooza

my 11th show it was a great one better then last week at APW
same set
Chicago-9/01,6/07, 8/09; Tokyo-8/06; Council Bluffs-5/07; Peoria-6/07; Milwaukee-7/07; Grand Rapids-7/07; Las Vegas-12/07(both shows), 7/10; New Jersey-8/09; Red Rocks-6/10(both shows); Los Angeles- 7/10(both shows); Dallas 1/12 (both shows); Toledo- 1/12; Ft Lauderdale-2/12; Orlando- 2/12;
OFFLINE |  
Surrey Tool
08-08-2009, 09:09 PM

Jambi
Stinkfist
46&2
Schism
Passage to Bangkok (Rush) intro
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Aenema
Lateralus
Vicarious

Good festival show, lights better in other show I saw this tour (Toronto), happy to get the Rush tease over Lost Keys.

Last edited by Surrey Tool; 08-09-2009 at 04:22 AM..
Old 08-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Jambi
Stinkfist
46&2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Aenema
Lateralus
Vicarious

Good festival show, lights better in other show I saw this tour (Toronto), happy to get the Rush tease over Lost Keys.

Last edited by Surrey Tool; 08-09-2009 at 04:22 AM..
OFFLINE |  
imonlysleeping
08-08-2009, 09:26 PM

"it smells like marijuana, and that is against the law. you are now all under arrest"

"we have checked with all the proper authorities and it is ok for you to all get naked now"

"the only disappointment for the night was not getting to see the yeah yeah yeahs, oh well...scheduling conflicts"

in rosetta stoned he didnt do any of the normal verses. just went on rambling couldnt understand what he was saying...i thought it was funny, especially how he came back out after the drum solo wearing a little speedo..so he could be ready for the "flood"
Old 08-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

"it smells like marijuana, and that is against the law. you are now all under arrest"

"we have checked with all the proper authorities and it is ok for you to all get naked now"

"the only disappointment for the night was not getting to see the yeah yeah yeahs, oh well...scheduling conflicts"

in rosetta stoned he didnt do any of the normal verses. just went on rambling couldnt understand what he was saying...i thought it was funny, especially how he came back out after the drum solo wearing a little speedo..so he could be ready for the "flood"
08-08-2009, 09:27 PM

The above set list is correct.

I nearly shit myself when they played the "Passage To Bangkok" intro right before "Rosetta", I honestly thought they were gonna play "Cold & Ugly"...or "A Passage to Bangkok" as the 'cover' song that Blair's been blathering on about.

The band was spot on as usual. Justin did his typical thrusting throughout the show which is always fun to watch. Danny was a fucking well-oiled machine as always and Adam was perfect throughout the whole show. In addition to the "Passage..." intro tease to "Rosetta" Adam or Justin did the "Prison Sex" tease right before "Lateralus".

Maynard was in good spirits, talkative, moving around a lot and half naked, just how I like him. One Maynardism was something to the effect of:

"I smell marijuana. That's illegal. You're all getting arrested."

There were a few more, others will no doubt fill in the blanks.

The light show was awesome despite the fact that they had to use Lolla's lighting equipment instead of their own. Still kicks ass.

Junior, nice to see you again, thank you very, very much for the setlist.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...0809090010.jpg

Last edited by Maz46&2; 08-08-2009 at 09:38 PM..
Old 08-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

The above set list is correct.

I nearly shit myself when they played the "Passage To Bangkok" intro right before "Rosetta", I honestly thought they were gonna play "Cold & Ugly"...or "A Passage to Bangkok" as the 'cover' song that Blair's been blathering on about.

The band was spot on as usual. Justin did his typical thrusting throughout the show which is always fun to watch. Danny was a fucking well-oiled machine as always and Adam was perfect throughout the whole show. In addition to the "Passage..." intro tease to "Rosetta" Adam or Justin did the "Prison Sex" tease right before "Lateralus".

Maynard was in good spirits, talkative, moving around a lot and half naked, just how I like him. One Maynardism was something to the effect of:

"I smell marijuana. That's illegal. You're all getting arrested."

There were a few more, others will no doubt fill in the blanks.

The light show was awesome despite the fact that they had to use Lolla's lighting equipment instead of their own. Still kicks ass.

Junior, nice to see you again, thank you very, very much for the setlist.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...0809090010.jpg

Last edited by Maz46&2; 08-08-2009 at 09:38 PM..
OFFLINE |  
gahpg
08-08-2009, 09:49 PM

I was dumb enough to go into the pit. I must've been 2-3 people from the front. I was surrounded by morons. I quote "Come on guys, if you're real tool fans you'll fucking mosh!" My neck hurts really bad now and reversing my car was a bitch having to turn my neck like that. It took me until Lateralus to realize that I should just GTFO of the pit because the pain and the cramped space was distracting me from the music. Would've loved to see these guys at the Sears Centre instead of Lolla. Fantastic performance from them regardless, and I snagged one of the autographed posters. I've definitely learned my lesson. I got more out of the Sears Centre gig than I did this one, but that's not to say that they did bad, it's just that I was more comfortable.

Question for those who have seen tool in the past and were in the pit this time: Is it always that bad for Tool or was it because of lollafuckingpalooza?

For the sake of the set-list, we got the extended schism and extended stinkfist.

What did Maynard do during the Lateralus solo? I wasn't able to see him well as I had left the pit by then. Did he use that rubber chicken?

Last edited by gahpg; 08-08-2009 at 09:54 PM..
Old 08-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

I was dumb enough to go into the pit. I must've been 2-3 people from the front. I was surrounded by morons. I quote "Come on guys, if you're real tool fans you'll fucking mosh!" My neck hurts really bad now and reversing my car was a bitch having to turn my neck like that. It took me until Lateralus to realize that I should just GTFO of the pit because the pain and the cramped space was distracting me from the music. Would've loved to see these guys at the Sears Centre instead of Lolla. Fantastic performance from them regardless, and I snagged one of the autographed posters. I've definitely learned my lesson. I got more out of the Sears Centre gig than I did this one, but that's not to say that they did bad, it's just that I was more comfortable.

Question for those who have seen tool in the past and were in the pit this time: Is it always that bad for Tool or was it because of lollafuckingpalooza?

For the sake of the set-list, we got the extended schism and extended stinkfist.

What did Maynard do during the Lateralus solo? I wasn't able to see him well as I had left the pit by then. Did he use that rubber chicken?

Last edited by gahpg; 08-08-2009 at 09:54 PM..
OFFLINE |  
elusivEuphoria's Avatar elusivEuphoria
08-08-2009, 09:59 PM

Setlist is correct except they did throw Ions into the mix just before Stinkfist. Stinkfist btw WAS the extended version. I took great pride in listening for it and cheering when they started the extension while everyone around me went... "ILL.... KEEP..... wait... what?" XD

So augmented setlist would be

Jambi
Ions
Stinkfist (extended)
46&2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Aenema
Lateralus (Brief extension w/ new solo from Adam followed by Danny's drum solo)
Vicarious

More of Maynards remarks,

After Jambi as stated above "I smell marijuana..... I've got news for you guys, that stuff's illegal. You are now all under arrest." "And due to the heat, humidity (etc, etc... he said a bunch of other things) it IS alright for you to take of all your clothes." "Oh and good evening" and then he said something like 'lets get rolling'. Later in the show he made a remark that "My only regret for tonight is not being able to see the Yeah Yeah Yeahs". Maynard actually is a fan of that band and they took the spot on the North stage at Lolla playing the same timeslot as Tool. He made some other comments.... but they have left my head.

Whole show was pretty much a carbon copy of previous shows this tour, as was to be expected. As they did in Ohio, they teased Wings/10kdays at the opening of Flood. I mean it was blatant, 'We're gonna dangle it out there for ya and you will bite hook line and sinker' .... and i did. I thought since we got no Lost Keys... that maybe... just maybe.... i should of known.

I can see why people from previous shows have been saying that they tease Prison Sex a lot... Adam and Justin filled the spaces between songs with very slow pick scraps quite often. But at one point I almost thought they were gearing up to do Merkaba... again I bit, and i should have known better.

Maynard's vocals were great tonight. I honestly think now that a lot of the critics of Maynard's singing are going to the show expecting maynard to do the same version that's on the album. Now obviously he has made many of the changes because he's trying to preserve his voice and he knows he probably can't hit certain notes night after night. But if you really listen to the choices maynard makes with his adjustments... they sound good.

Rest of the band, on fire and really into it. I even caught Adam headbanging a little bit. Danny was all over his kit... hes such a monster. There where maybe a couple times where it seemed like they were having some timing issues. Most notably i think was the ending 46&2, Adam seemed to fall out of phase with Justin and Danny, but he got back to where he was supposed to be pretty quickly.

I could go on and on.... but the really meat of the story is they put on an excellent show tonight. Im sad to say it's only my second... but im committed now to never missing a Tool show that comes to Chicago.

Last edited by elusivEuphoria; 08-08-2009 at 10:02 PM..
Old 08-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #7
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860

Setlist is correct except they did throw Ions into the mix just before Stinkfist. Stinkfist btw WAS the extended version. I took great pride in listening for it and cheering when they started the extension while everyone around me went... "ILL.... KEEP..... wait... what?" XD

So augmented setlist would be

Jambi
Ions
Stinkfist (extended)
46&2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Aenema
Lateralus (Brief extension w/ new solo from Adam followed by Danny's drum solo)
Vicarious

More of Maynards remarks,

After Jambi as stated above "I smell marijuana..... I've got news for you guys, that stuff's illegal. You are now all under arrest." "And due to the heat, humidity (etc, etc... he said a bunch of other things) it IS alright for you to take of all your clothes." "Oh and good evening" and then he said something like 'lets get rolling'. Later in the show he made a remark that "My only regret for tonight is not being able to see the Yeah Yeah Yeahs". Maynard actually is a fan of that band and they took the spot on the North stage at Lolla playing the same timeslot as Tool. He made some other comments.... but they have left my head.

Whole show was pretty much a carbon copy of previous shows this tour, as was to be expected. As they did in Ohio, they teased Wings/10kdays at the opening of Flood. I mean it was blatant, 'We're gonna dangle it out there for ya and you will bite hook line and sinker' .... and i did. I thought since we got no Lost Keys... that maybe... just maybe.... i should of known.

I can see why people from previous shows have been saying that they tease Prison Sex a lot... Adam and Justin filled the spaces between songs with very slow pick scraps quite often. But at one point I almost thought they were gearing up to do Merkaba... again I bit, and i should have known better.

Maynard's vocals were great tonight. I honestly think now that a lot of the critics of Maynard's singing are going to the show expecting maynard to do the same version that's on the album. Now obviously he has made many of the changes because he's trying to preserve his voice and he knows he probably can't hit certain notes night after night. But if you really listen to the choices maynard makes with his adjustments... they sound good.

Rest of the band, on fire and really into it. I even caught Adam headbanging a little bit. Danny was all over his kit... hes such a monster. There where maybe a couple times where it seemed like they were having some timing issues. Most notably i think was the ending 46&2, Adam seemed to fall out of phase with Justin and Danny, but he got back to where he was supposed to be pretty quickly.

I could go on and on.... but the really meat of the story is they put on an excellent show tonight. Im sad to say it's only my second... but im committed now to never missing a Tool show that comes to Chicago.

Last edited by elusivEuphoria; 08-08-2009 at 10:02 PM..
OFFLINE |  
08-08-2009, 10:07 PM

OH, i just remembered one of the other comments maynard made. He let us all know that his partner in wine, Eric (Stolynski? forgot the spelling) was in the audience and him and maynard were missing the picking of their (some wine stuff im not cool enough to remember) to be here tonight with you smelly, sweaty, dirty bastards.

Something like that.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
Level 10 - Vehement

OH, i just remembered one of the other comments maynard made. He let us all know that his partner in wine, Eric (Stolynski? forgot the spelling) was in the audience and him and maynard were missing the picking of their (some wine stuff im not cool enough to remember) to be here tonight with you smelly, sweaty, dirty bastards.

Something like that.
thetallmonkey
08-08-2009, 10:29 PM

"Stinky bastards," actually ;) Was it just me, or was he pinching his nose shut and talking nasally for that part, just for the hell of it?

But no, I was in the very front row for this and just got back. The pushing/shoving was absolutely horrible as I felt like I was in a warzone to keep the spot I had staked out all day, and I was extremely annoyed that I had to keep looking over my shoulder for people who were crowdsurfing or trying to get to the front. Additionally, I felt that Maynard's mic was extraordinarily low in the mix, so it was hard for me to catch precisely what Maynard was saying at points like Rosetta Stoned... but that could just be me since I was nearly center stage directly in front.

These bad things of my first Tool live show being said, the good things of the show were a Maynard who was talkative and stayed relatively visible (minus the part of stripping into his boxers), the extended Stinkfist (which I unpreparedly blundered right into), a rocking Danny, and an Adam who definitely was more rockstar than introverted Tool guitarist, taking some spotlight action at times. The video panel behind the band was extraordinarily cool, and the "cycle of life" curtain behind that was a nice change of artwork that I sorta kinda hadn't seen before.

And on a side note... definitely did not catch "Passage to Bangkok" intro, though I was one of the fools screaming "Prison Sex!!" when Adam played that tease ;)
Old 08-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

"Stinky bastards," actually ;) Was it just me, or was he pinching his nose shut and talking nasally for that part, just for the hell of it?

But no, I was in the very front row for this and just got back. The pushing/shoving was absolutely horrible as I felt like I was in a warzone to keep the spot I had staked out all day, and I was extremely annoyed that I had to keep looking over my shoulder for people who were crowdsurfing or trying to get to the front. Additionally, I felt that Maynard's mic was extraordinarily low in the mix, so it was hard for me to catch precisely what Maynard was saying at points like Rosetta Stoned... but that could just be me since I was nearly center stage directly in front.

These bad things of my first Tool live show being said, the good things of the show were a Maynard who was talkative and stayed relatively visible (minus the part of stripping into his boxers), the extended Stinkfist (which I unpreparedly blundered right into), a rocking Danny, and an Adam who definitely was more rockstar than introverted Tool guitarist, taking some spotlight action at times. The video panel behind the band was extraordinarily cool, and the "cycle of life" curtain behind that was a nice change of artwork that I sorta kinda hadn't seen before.

And on a side note... definitely did not catch "Passage to Bangkok" intro, though I was one of the fools screaming "Prison Sex!!" when Adam played that tease ;)
OFFLINE |  
Surrey Tool
08-09-2009, 04:20 AM

Maynard said they (he and Eric) were missing the picking of the Sauvignon Blanc crop.......
Old 08-09-2009, 04:20 AM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

Maynard said they (he and Eric) were missing the picking of the Sauvignon Blanc crop.......
OFFLINE |  
bozobuttz
08-09-2009, 05:54 AM

Pretty much a flawless performance. I situated myself just to the west of and parallel to the center camera/lighting rig. It was packed but there was 2 or 3 surges forward after they started playing. Sound was a tad loud but not to the point of distortion -- didn't use earplugs this time. The setlist gets a B. I think Lateralus was my fav. Especially the "human spiral" visual (you know what I mean if you saw it)!

The turnout of Tool fans to Lollapalooza itself was incredible. So many people were wearing the shirts (me included) and in passing I got acknowledgments and could hear people were so pumped.

Oh, and I had to hold my Tool poster up in the air so it wouldn't get destroyed by drunk assholes.

Last edited by bozobuttz; 08-09-2009 at 07:28 AM..
Old 08-09-2009, 05:54 AM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Pretty much a flawless performance. I situated myself just to the west of and parallel to the center camera/lighting rig. It was packed but there was 2 or 3 surges forward after they started playing. Sound was a tad loud but not to the point of distortion -- didn't use earplugs this time. The setlist gets a B. I think Lateralus was my fav. Especially the "human spiral" visual (you know what I mean if you saw it)!

The turnout of Tool fans to Lollapalooza itself was incredible. So many people were wearing the shirts (me included) and in passing I got acknowledgments and could hear people were so pumped.

Oh, and I had to hold my Tool poster up in the air so it wouldn't get destroyed by drunk assholes.

Last edited by bozobuttz; 08-09-2009 at 07:28 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Simmy
08-09-2009, 07:56 AM

Same setlist as the rest of the tour, just shortened a little. After reading reviews for the rest of the show complaining about lack of interest from maynard i didnt set my expectations too high but they were amazing as always. Only downside was that it was packed for tool and i was right center a little above the soundboard. It was packed and super hot. Also had to deal with idiots rushing forward or trying to mosh. Thank god for that breeze every once and a while.

Sound was great and I heard maynard cleary except when he used the megaphone in some parts of stinkfist and rosetta. Maybe it was because eric was in the crowd, last show for 2 weeks, or the reviews saying he was out of it were overblown, but he was very into it in my opinion. Did not sing last lines to Vicarious as usual.

The passage to bangkok tease was very brief, just the first opening riff for about 6 seconds or so then straight into rosetta. Overall, i was blown away as usual, just hope next time they come around wont be a festival setting.

On a side note, i met adam, justin, and danny downtown after the show. Talked to adam for about 5 minutes he is awesome and a great guy to talk to in person.

Last edited by Simmy; 08-09-2009 at 08:18 AM..
Old 08-09-2009, 07:56 AM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

Same setlist as the rest of the tour, just shortened a little. After reading reviews for the rest of the show complaining about lack of interest from maynard i didnt set my expectations too high but they were amazing as always. Only downside was that it was packed for tool and i was right center a little above the soundboard. It was packed and super hot. Also had to deal with idiots rushing forward or trying to mosh. Thank god for that breeze every once and a while.

Sound was great and I heard maynard cleary except when he used the megaphone in some parts of stinkfist and rosetta. Maybe it was because eric was in the crowd, last show for 2 weeks, or the reviews saying he was out of it were overblown, but he was very into it in my opinion. Did not sing last lines to Vicarious as usual.

The passage to bangkok tease was very brief, just the first opening riff for about 6 seconds or so then straight into rosetta. Overall, i was blown away as usual, just hope next time they come around wont be a festival setting.

On a side note, i met adam, justin, and danny downtown after the show. Talked to adam for about 5 minutes he is awesome and a great guy to talk to in person.

Last edited by Simmy; 08-09-2009 at 08:18 AM..
OFFLINE |  
08-09-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozobuttz View Post

hey, i think i was right about in the same spot. I'm not exactly a tall guy and I had managed to find a little mound right on the edge of the infields near there that i could stand on and get somewhat of a decent view. I was pretty happy with that little part of the crowd, no major drunk assholes... just people enjoying the show along with me. Also i thought the mix was pretty good right there too. I felt like i could hear the whole band although at times it felt like Danny was a bit mixed down when he should have been a bit more thunderous.

I also appreciated the human spiral/dna spiral during Lateralus. It looked like each link in the human spiral had a hammer and spike and they were nailing each other together.

Did anyone else wonder what the weird, black, toy helicopter-like flying contraption was before the show started? Most people around me figured it was a camera for monitoring the crowd. It wasn't exactly a flaming stealth banana, but I personally thought it would have been cool if a bunch of those had started buzzing the crowd during Rosetta Stoned.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:04 AM   #13
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozobuttz View Post

hey, i think i was right about in the same spot. I'm not exactly a tall guy and I had managed to find a little mound right on the edge of the infields near there that i could stand on and get somewhat of a decent view. I was pretty happy with that little part of the crowd, no major drunk assholes... just people enjoying the show along with me. Also i thought the mix was pretty good right there too. I felt like i could hear the whole band although at times it felt like Danny was a bit mixed down when he should have been a bit more thunderous.

I also appreciated the human spiral/dna spiral during Lateralus. It looked like each link in the human spiral had a hammer and spike and they were nailing each other together.

Did anyone else wonder what the weird, black, toy helicopter-like flying contraption was before the show started? Most people around me figured it was a camera for monitoring the crowd. It wasn't exactly a flaming stealth banana, but I personally thought it would have been cool if a bunch of those had started buzzing the crowd during Rosetta Stoned.
opiumeaters
08-09-2009, 08:16 AM

what did maynard say about gays?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

what did maynard say about gays?
OFFLINE |  
At_the_Bottom
08-09-2009, 09:26 AM

"We have a special guest in the audience tonight. (Partner in wine making can't remember his name.) We both sacrificed picking the our sauvignon blanc to be with you sticky bastards."

This was my first TOOL show and I can't even describe the pure energy I experienced last night. The people I was standing around were all very polite and wanted to enjoy the show just as much as I. However, once the show erupted every one started pushing forward, and even though it was a little unsettling at first, I just immersed myself in the show. Unbelievable moment in my life. I can't wait to see them again! I just hope they get cracking on the next album right after the tour even though they're probably going to take their time which is much more important. I still can not comprehend the level of perfection these guys have reached and believe that they are the most rewarding band ever to their fans. Thank you so much guys.

(P.S. I was hooked up with a media pass and got to witness them walking off stage to their bus! I missed Maynard and Danny but was able to get a vid of Adam. Unreal.)
Old 08-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

"We have a special guest in the audience tonight. (Partner in wine making can't remember his name.) We both sacrificed picking the our sauvignon blanc to be with you sticky bastards."

This was my first TOOL show and I can't even describe the pure energy I experienced last night. The people I was standing around were all very polite and wanted to enjoy the show just as much as I. However, once the show erupted every one started pushing forward, and even though it was a little unsettling at first, I just immersed myself in the show. Unbelievable moment in my life. I can't wait to see them again! I just hope they get cracking on the next album right after the tour even though they're probably going to take their time which is much more important. I still can not comprehend the level of perfection these guys have reached and believe that they are the most rewarding band ever to their fans. Thank you so much guys.

(P.S. I was hooked up with a media pass and got to witness them walking off stage to their bus! I missed Maynard and Danny but was able to get a vid of Adam. Unreal.)
OFFLINE |  
ufopancakes's Avatar ufopancakes
08-09-2009, 09:28 AM

I saw them in Cincinatti the day before... and I gotta say, they were a little off at Lolla. I don't know if it was the hassle of dealing with the festival sound/video techs, or if they were just not into it, but they fucked up quite a few times. It seemed to me like either Adam or Danny would try to get a little too creative and get lost and screw the rest of the band up. Its all good though, they're human. Great show. Terrible crowd.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:28 AM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1

I saw them in Cincinatti the day before... and I gotta say, they were a little off at Lolla. I don't know if it was the hassle of dealing with the festival sound/video techs, or if they were just not into it, but they fucked up quite a few times. It seemed to me like either Adam or Danny would try to get a little too creative and get lost and screw the rest of the band up. Its all good though, they're human. Great show. Terrible crowd.
08-09-2009, 09:35 AM

the band had a lot of energy compared to the other shows I've been to over the years. it was kind of a bummer when i realized at the end of lateralus that we were not going to see these guys for another couple of years until they come out with their new album. so i think the band shared the sentiment and played extra hard. i was surprised by how into it maynard was; he was almost like the maynard from the lateralus tour but the funny version of it. i saw justin pounded at least two beers during the "wings" tease before flood. i definitely shit my pants too during the prison sex and cold & ugly/passage to bangkok tease. adam was looking at the magnificent view of the skyscrapers in the north side of chicago and soaking it in during lateralus. danny went all out during flood and lateralus. i was totally amused by maynard's hand gestures during the parts when he was rambling and talking to himself during rosetta; he was like one of those crazy people in san francisco tenderloin who wouldn't stop talking to themselves all day.

same setlist but i really didn't mind. the mix wasn't great where i was standing (i was about 30-40 feet in the front of the soundboard), but i didn't have high expectation given it's an outdoor festival so i was cool with that tool. and given how packed the place was, i was pretty damn close to the stage.

the crowd was definitely some of the craziest and the most devoted fans. they knew lyrics to every single song from beginning to end; it was amazing when you had 20,000 people singing along. there was a mosh pit right in front of me but i thought it was a very respectful and respectable pit.

great show. i definitely thought they were better than when i saw them last time at bill graham in san francisco. thank you TOOL!

Last edited by godhenry; 08-09-2009 at 09:39 AM..
Old 08-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

the band had a lot of energy compared to the other shows I've been to over the years. it was kind of a bummer when i realized at the end of lateralus that we were not going to see these guys for another couple of years until they come out with their new album. so i think the band shared the sentiment and played extra hard. i was surprised by how into it maynard was; he was almost like the maynard from the lateralus tour but the funny version of it. i saw justin pounded at least two beers during the "wings" tease before flood. i definitely shit my pants too during the prison sex and cold & ugly/passage to bangkok tease. adam was looking at the magnificent view of the skyscrapers in the north side of chicago and soaking it in during lateralus. danny went all out during flood and lateralus. i was totally amused by maynard's hand gestures during the parts when he was rambling and talking to himself during rosetta; he was like one of those crazy people in san francisco tenderloin who wouldn't stop talking to themselves all day.

same setlist but i really didn't mind. the mix wasn't great where i was standing (i was about 30-40 feet in the front of the soundboard), but i didn't have high expectation given it's an outdoor festival so i was cool with that tool. and given how packed the place was, i was pretty damn close to the stage.

the crowd was definitely some of the craziest and the most devoted fans. they knew lyrics to every single song from beginning to end; it was amazing when you had 20,000 people singing along. there was a mosh pit right in front of me but i thought it was a very respectful and respectable pit.

great show. i definitely thought they were better than when i saw them last time at bill graham in san francisco. thank you TOOL!

Last edited by godhenry; 08-09-2009 at 09:39 AM..
OFFLINE |  
godhenry
08-09-2009, 10:06 AM

oh, the band probably also realized that they first played at lollapalooza more than 15 years ago and so much has changed; the band and the people all have grown and are different people now than they were when they were just "kids." so parts of the show were very sentimental.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #18
Level 8 - Vociferous

oh, the band probably also realized that they first played at lollapalooza more than 15 years ago and so much has changed; the band and the people all have grown and are different people now than they were when they were just "kids." so parts of the show were very sentimental.
08-09-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry View Post
... adam was looking at the magnificent view of the skyscrapers in the north side of chicago and soaking it in during lateralus.
Sweet. I had to force myself at times to break focus from the stage and take in the surroundings. So mind-blowing and surreal to be surrounded by the skyline of Chicago during all of those songs. But especially during Lateralus. I made a mental note not to take any pictures or video, not to sing along during that song... just feel that moment. It's such a powerful and definitive song for Tool.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #19
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry View Post
... adam was looking at the magnificent view of the skyscrapers in the north side of chicago and soaking it in during lateralus.
Sweet. I had to force myself at times to break focus from the stage and take in the surroundings. So mind-blowing and surreal to be surrounded by the skyline of Chicago during all of those songs. But especially during Lateralus. I made a mental note not to take any pictures or video, not to sing along during that song... just feel that moment. It's such a powerful and definitive song for Tool.
pathologicalglances
08-09-2009, 01:25 PM

This was my second Tool show. The last Tool show I saw was in Columbus Ohio in a seat with decent stage view, probably 19 rows back. It was during the 10,000 Days tour so the setlist was very similiar. The show I saw last night I was much closer. My wife and I stayed for 5 hours in front of the stage to make sure we were in good position. We were 7 people diagonal from the stage. I would estimate 10-15 feet from the stage. Had a great dead on view of Maynard and Danny. The show was great. The band was really into the songs and the vibe of the festival. Maynard was exceptionally chatty in my opinion. The crowd was horrible. Moshing during Flood is fucking stupid. I could see it in aenima and I could see it in Rosetta Stoned, but the rest of the moshing was ignorant. The pushing was just ridiculous too. I am confident when I say I'll never watch a Tool show that close again without seats being set up on the floor. I am glad I experienced them playing that close and if the setlist wouldn't have been so similiar as it was last tour it would have been disappointing. I found the band to be spot on for most of the show. I couldn't record any decent video for the bad behavior of the crowd. I got to record Jambi, however, the audio is horrible because of how close we were to the speakers which the drums and bass were being routed through. The vocals sounded awesome from our position though. Very clear. Today at 3 pm I was also able to snag one of the autographed posters so that was a nice bonus. I am off to see Them Crooked Vultures tonight at the metro, I got fortunate enough to score those tickets on Thrusday morning. For those of you who don't know who they are, look out for them, I believe they will be upon the very limited number of bands that don't suck. Tool still has it and I'll be waiting for there next album before I try to see them again. Also I'll be getting back from the stage so I can really pay attention to the production these guys put on. For the haters, learn to move on. That is what this music is about. The band Tool is consisted of some regular people who really enjoy playing music. Their music is about embracing negativity. Rather it stems from aggression or frustration, whatever it may be. The bottom line is though, that with all their albums, the message has remained the same. Take that aggression and don't let it control you or weigh you down. Let it transform you and move on. Life is a constant cycle of death and rebirth. Reincarnation is our way of learning. Tool just figured that out a while ago and they are sticking to that creed.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my second Tool show. The last Tool show I saw was in Columbus Ohio in a seat with decent stage view, probably 19 rows back. It was during the 10,000 Days tour so the setlist was very similiar. The show I saw last night I was much closer. My wife and I stayed for 5 hours in front of the stage to make sure we were in good position. We were 7 people diagonal from the stage. I would estimate 10-15 feet from the stage. Had a great dead on view of Maynard and Danny. The show was great. The band was really into the songs and the vibe of the festival. Maynard was exceptionally chatty in my opinion. The crowd was horrible. Moshing during Flood is fucking stupid. I could see it in aenima and I could see it in Rosetta Stoned, but the rest of the moshing was ignorant. The pushing was just ridiculous too. I am confident when I say I'll never watch a Tool show that close again without seats being set up on the floor. I am glad I experienced them playing that close and if the setlist wouldn't have been so similiar as it was last tour it would have been disappointing. I found the band to be spot on for most of the show. I couldn't record any decent video for the bad behavior of the crowd. I got to record Jambi, however, the audio is horrible because of how close we were to the speakers which the drums and bass were being routed through. The vocals sounded awesome from our position though. Very clear. Today at 3 pm I was also able to snag one of the autographed posters so that was a nice bonus. I am off to see Them Crooked Vultures tonight at the metro, I got fortunate enough to score those tickets on Thrusday morning. For those of you who don't know who they are, look out for them, I believe they will be upon the very limited number of bands that don't suck. Tool still has it and I'll be waiting for there next album before I try to see them again. Also I'll be getting back from the stage so I can really pay attention to the production these guys put on. For the haters, learn to move on. That is what this music is about. The band Tool is consisted of some regular people who really enjoy playing music. Their music is about embracing negativity. Rather it stems from aggression or frustration, whatever it may be. The bottom line is though, that with all their albums, the message has remained the same. Take that aggression and don't let it control you or weigh you down. Let it transform you and move on. Life is a constant cycle of death and rebirth. Reincarnation is our way of learning. Tool just figured that out a while ago and they are sticking to that creed.
OFFLINE |  
tooldude's Avatar tooldude
08-09-2009, 01:52 PM

fuckin hot out all day.. but it was so worth it.. they played the same setlist as the other shows minus lost keys... a good performance from the guys... wish they would have played the whole passage to bangkok song... we stood a little bit to the right of the soundboard, didnt wanna get any closer cuz i knew there were bound to be some meatheads..finally go to see maynard in his undies .. oh and rise against sucks balls... we got there early and had to listen to about a half hour of their "music".. until next time..
09.08.01 06.15.07 06.17.07 06.23.07 06.29.07 08.07.09 08.08.09 06.25.10 06.26.10 01.24.12 02.04.12 06.23.12 01.22.16 01.23.16 06.07.17 06.08.17 05.20.18 05.08.19 11.02.19 01.29.20 03.04.22 03.18.22 05.25.23
Old 08-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #21
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 7

fuckin hot out all day.. but it was so worth it.. they played the same setlist as the other shows minus lost keys... a good performance from the guys... wish they would have played the whole passage to bangkok song... we stood a little bit to the right of the soundboard, didnt wanna get any closer cuz i knew there were bound to be some meatheads..finally go to see maynard in his undies .. oh and rise against sucks balls... we got there early and had to listen to about a half hour of their "music".. until next time..
09.08.01 06.15.07 06.17.07 06.23.07 06.29.07 08.07.09 08.08.09 06.25.10 06.26.10 01.24.12 02.04.12 06.23.12 01.22.16 01.23.16 06.07.17 06.08.17 05.20.18 05.08.19 11.02.19 01.29.20 03.04.22 03.18.22 05.25.23
OFFLINE |  
One Dark Flame's Avatar One Dark Flame
08-09-2009, 03:16 PM

Anyone know what maynard was singing during the " Chupa minha pica pichu" part of stinkfist? Is sounded different.

Simmy: Where'd ya meet the guys at after the show? I found the area where they'd be coming out but was told to leave. I really wanted to get my "Chancellor Is God" shirt signed.
"DECEMBERUNDERGROUND is a time and a place. It is where the cold can huddle together in darkness and isolation. It is a community of those detached and disillusioned who flee to love, like winter, in the recesses below the rest of the world."
-DXH
Old 08-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #22
Formerly Tool Aenema11

Bincount™: 362

Anyone know what maynard was singing during the " Chupa minha pica pichu" part of stinkfist? Is sounded different.

Simmy: Where'd ya meet the guys at after the show? I found the area where they'd be coming out but was told to leave. I really wanted to get my "Chancellor Is God" shirt signed.
"DECEMBERUNDERGROUND is a time and a place. It is where the cold can huddle together in darkness and isolation. It is a community of those detached and disillusioned who flee to love, like winter, in the recesses below the rest of the world."
-DXH
OFFLINE |  
Simmy
08-09-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Dark Flame View Post

I noticed the breakdown in stinkfist sounded different too, but couldn't make out anything clearly when maynard was using the megaphone.

as for meeting the guys i dont want to say the exact place, but it was later last night away from the venue in a public place. it was half knowing the right people half getting lucky they even showed. not too many people knew who they were so it was a cool experience to get to talk to them all. Adam is by far one of the coolest, most sincere people you could ever meet.

Last edited by marcus; 08-10-2009 at 09:55 PM..
Old 08-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #23
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Dark Flame View Post

I noticed the breakdown in stinkfist sounded different too, but couldn't make out anything clearly when maynard was using the megaphone.

as for meeting the guys i dont want to say the exact place, but it was later last night away from the venue in a public place. it was half knowing the right people half getting lucky they even showed. not too many people knew who they were so it was a cool experience to get to talk to them all. Adam is by far one of the coolest, most sincere people you could ever meet.

OFFLINE |  
Rosetta_Stoned
08-10-2009, 11:30 AM

You all have the marijuana quote wrong.

It was, "I smell marijuana. That's illegal, didn't you get the memo?"
Old 08-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

You all have the marijuana quote wrong.

It was, "I smell marijuana. That's illegal, didn't you get the memo?"
OFFLINE |  
JDOE951
08-10-2009, 11:33 AM

Did anyone else wonder why Maynard left the stage immediately after Vicarious while the others stayed to give us thanks and bid us farewell?

Diva moment? Emergency phone call? Maybe he just really had to pee?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

Did anyone else wonder why Maynard left the stage immediately after Vicarious while the others stayed to give us thanks and bid us farewell?

OFFLINE |  
futant7
08-10-2009, 12:11 PM

This was my 7th TOOL show since the Anima days and I went in with VERY low expectations after reading the reviews here but was pleasantly suprised. The new visuals and extended versions of songs were definately worth seeing.Maynards vocals were not quite as powerful as previous shows but no where near as bad as some individuals had been making them out to be.Anyway the show was very good.The only complaint I have is that although the extended versions of songs were cool they were not the "reworkings" that I expected or JC was qouted as saying.The Pushit reworking from the 98 tour was a "reworking" these were just extended jams.Also where the fuck is are cover song Blair?So much for that idea huh? Still hands down better than any other band out there and still the coolest live show out there.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 7th TOOL show since the Anima days and I went in with VERY low expectations after reading the reviews here but was pleasantly suprised. The new visuals and extended versions of songs were definately worth seeing.Maynards vocals were not quite as powerful as previous shows but no where near as bad as some individuals had been making them out to be.Anyway the show was very good.The only complaint I have is that although the extended versions of songs were cool they were not the "reworkings" that I expected or JC was qouted as saying.The Pushit reworking from the 98 tour was a "reworking" these were just extended jams.Also where the fuck is are cover song Blair?So much for that idea huh? Still hands down better than any other band out there and still the coolest live show out there.

OFFLINE |  
TheChad1868's Avatar TheChad1868
08-10-2009, 01:37 PM

Ok just got back home to Dallas and got settled in. The drive was not as bad as I thought it would be. 3rd Tool show and I wanted to see them in a situation I have never been in. Ive sat 2nd row in front of JC at OKC where there were chairs on the floor bc that bible thumping state does not allow pits and I sat second deck center at the SA show 2 weeks ago.

So for this show I got there at 11 am and kept the spot where the rail turned diagonal from the stage right in front of AJ. All day, no pissing, nothing, did not move. I have a shaved head and a black bandanna on my neck if you saw me. Out of the other two shows this one was my favorite because It seemed like I was completely caught in the moment close (very close) to some real fans. There were a couple of teenage fucks just there to snap pics tho. I made sure to crush them as hard as I could.

Much better show without the "drum off"
For a couple of moments I did not know what the hell they were about to play
Maynard was very active
I spent most of the day watching the techs do work then listening to any of the bands
(which one is Junior by the way?)
Saw someone try to throw a water bottle at the flying camera, would of done the same
Thought that dude that flipped over the rail was about to die right then and there
Felt a slight dip in the energy in the crowd after Lateralus and into Vicarious (why do they have to end with that song?)
AJ asked for his volume up during the first part his Jambi voice box riff
AJ tricked out Aenima for about 30 secs and blew my mind

Overall this show was my favorite being front "row" right in the shit. So much energy from the band that night which made the show so much better. I have no idea how good the sound was being that close tho but who cares. This show really gave me a sense of hope for the band compared to the SA show because I really felt and saw them enjoying it. I left the show completely excited about the future of Tool. It was definitely worth selling my Wii to get to this show. "PEACE OUT"
Old 08-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #27
Level 2 - Poster

Ok just got back home to Dallas and got settled in. The drive was not as bad as I thought it would be. 3rd Tool show and I wanted to see them in a situation I have never been in. Ive sat 2nd row in front of JC at OKC where there were chairs on the floor bc that bible thumping state does not allow pits and I sat second deck center at the SA show 2 weeks ago.

So for this show I got there at 11 am and kept the spot where the rail turned diagonal from the stage right in front of AJ. All day, no pissing, nothing, did not move. I have a shaved head and a black bandanna on my neck if you saw me. Out of the other two shows this one was my favorite because It seemed like I was completely caught in the moment close (very close) to some real fans. There were a couple of teenage fucks just there to snap pics tho. I made sure to crush them as hard as I could.

Much better show without the "drum off"
For a couple of moments I did not know what the hell they were about to play
Maynard was very active
I spent most of the day watching the techs do work then listening to any of the bands
(which one is Junior by the way?)
Saw someone try to throw a water bottle at the flying camera, would of done the same
Thought that dude that flipped over the rail was about to die right then and there
Felt a slight dip in the energy in the crowd after Lateralus and into Vicarious (why do they have to end with that song?)
AJ asked for his volume up during the first part his Jambi voice box riff
AJ tricked out Aenima for about 30 secs and blew my mind

Overall this show was my favorite being front "row" right in the shit. So much energy from the band that night which made the show so much better. I have no idea how good the sound was being that close tho but who cares. This show really gave me a sense of hope for the band compared to the SA show because I really felt and saw them enjoying it. I left the show completely excited about the future of Tool. It was definitely worth selling my Wii to get to this show. "PEACE OUT"
08-10-2009, 01:49 PM

And he MJK made a joke about what he was drinking on stage. He was drinking Metro Water. He said "Its not just for the gays but the straights too." or something around those lines. Probably the funniest Maynardism of the night
Old 08-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #28
Level 2 - Poster

And he MJK made a joke about what he was drinking on stage. He was drinking Metro Water. He said "Its not just for the gays but the straights too." or something around those lines. Probably the funniest Maynardism of the night
08-11-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOE951 View Post

maynard didn't really leave the stage "immediately." i was looking at him while he was stepping down from his "mini stage." while he was stepping down and the crowd was cheering, he was looking at the crowd and pointing at adam, justin, and danny as if he were saying "y'all should applaud to these guys and not me." i thought that was kind of cool.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:24 AM   #29
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOE951 View Post

maynard didn't really leave the stage "immediately." i was looking at him while he was stepping down from his "mini stage." while he was stepping down and the crowd was cheering, he was looking at the crowd and pointing at adam, justin, and danny as if he were saying "y'all should applaud to these guys and not me." i thought that was kind of cool.
08-11-2009, 06:05 AM

Did anyone notice Adam playing new guitar riffs (in the verse for Stinkfist, and a slight variation stylistically during the guitar solo for Lateralus)?

Riffs to be included in the new album?

Last edited by Runner701; 08-11-2009 at 06:09 AM..
Old 08-11-2009, 06:05 AM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

Did anyone notice Adam playing new guitar riffs (in the verse for Stinkfist, and a slight variation stylistically during the guitar solo for Lateralus)?

Last edited by Runner701; 08-11-2009 at 06:09 AM..
OFFLINE |  
MJKsFan
08-11-2009, 08:52 AM

Glomski. His winemaking partner is Eric Glomski. :)

Glad Maynard wasn't sick. The last several times he came to Chicago he was under the weather!!
Old 08-11-2009, 08:52 AM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

Glomski. His winemaking partner is Eric Glomski. :)

Glad Maynard wasn't sick. The last several times he came to Chicago he was under the weather!!
OFFLINE |  
08-11-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner701 View Post

The Lateralus solo maybe... but when I heard that variation on the riff for the second verse in stinkfist I had a hunch i knew what he was doing. I was able to come home and figure it out. I dont know if you know much about playing guitar but all he did was repeating hammer on's the 14th and 17th frets on the lowest three strings... the pattern just kind of continues up and down. It's very much like one of the riffs from extension, only played one octave higher. In the extension he does the same pattern on the 2nd and 5th frets. So to me that one just seemed more like a simple little change-up. I'm with ya on the Lateralus solo though, that was really cool and felt a lot like the solo from Rosetta Stoned; only kind of warmer sounding as opposed to Rosetta Stoned's tension-laced, feedbacky, gritty solo.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #32
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner701 View Post

The Lateralus solo maybe... but when I heard that variation on the riff for the second verse in stinkfist I had a hunch i knew what he was doing. I was able to come home and figure it out. I dont know if you know much about playing guitar but all he did was repeating hammer on's the 14th and 17th frets on the lowest three strings... the pattern just kind of continues up and down. It's very much like one of the riffs from extension, only played one octave higher. In the extension he does the same pattern on the 2nd and 5th frets. So to me that one just seemed more like a simple little change-up. I'm with ya on the Lateralus solo though, that was really cool and felt a lot like the solo from Rosetta Stoned; only kind of warmer sounding as opposed to Rosetta Stoned's tension-laced, feedbacky, gritty solo.
Jambi88's Avatar Jambi88
08-11-2009, 11:42 AM

Awesome show! I was front and center in the mosh for the first three songs but I couldnt breath. Some guy passed out and fell on my leg. I almost did the same (though I wasnt on drugs), so I moved way back and watched it from the fence. I've been thinking about the concert for three days straight now, I'm thinking about blowing a hoard of cash to see em in LA.

Anyone know where I can get the 2009 Tour shirt? I saw someone wearing a shirt with the blue faces on the back, but I couldn't find any. I'd like to buy one online if their not limmited edition/concert vendor only. Thanks.

If I bought access to ToolArmy for the store, would I find one there? I would also like a poster for this tour.

Last edited by Jambi88; 08-11-2009 at 11:51 AM..
Old 08-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #33
Level 4 - Thinker

Awesome show! I was front and center in the mosh for the first three songs but I couldnt breath. Some guy passed out and fell on my leg. I almost did the same (though I wasnt on drugs), so I moved way back and watched it from the fence. I've been thinking about the concert for three days straight now, I'm thinking about blowing a hoard of cash to see em in LA.

Anyone know where I can get the 2009 Tour shirt? I saw someone wearing a shirt with the blue faces on the back, but I couldn't find any. I'd like to buy one online if their not limmited edition/concert vendor only. Thanks.

If I bought access to ToolArmy for the store, would I find one there? I would also like a poster for this tour.

Last edited by Jambi88; 08-11-2009 at 11:51 AM..
OFFLINE |  
The Rak
08-11-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post
Adam also played that new part on Stinkfist in Rio Rancho. Glad someone else noticed something about these shows besides the damn lasers.

/flees after posting on a show I wasn't at . . .
Old 08-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #34

Bincount™: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post
Adam also played that new part on Stinkfist in Rio Rancho. Glad someone else noticed something about these shows besides the damn lasers.

/flees after posting on a show I wasn't at . . .
OFFLINE |  
deturm
08-12-2009, 03:29 PM

Crazy fucking show, was on the rail on the left side along the center. I lasted through Schism. Guy behind me got out and I helped the security guy lift him out, but in doing so I lost my grip on the rail and got pulled out into the crowd. It was way too hot in there and I couldn't breathe so I got myself dragged out (as much as I love Tool I'd rather not pass out in the middle of that crowd,) and by the middle of Rosetta Stoned I had walked back into the crowd, near the sound/light booth thing.

Most everything has been covered already, the guys all seemed to be into the show.
-Maynard was a little more chatty than my last show.
-2+ years of waiting made me forget exactly how amazing Adam's guitar sounds live.
-Passage to Bangkok intro got me super fucking excited, then he went into Rosetta Stoned and I cried a little.
-I saw Junior

I definitely learned my lesson on festivals. It was a good experience overall, but I don't think I'll be going to a huge festival like that ever again, especially for Tool. I had to wait out there way too long to have a good spot (7-8 hours.) I'll stick to solo Tool shows from now on.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #35
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Crazy fucking show, was on the rail on the left side along the center. I lasted through Schism. Guy behind me got out and I helped the security guy lift him out, but in doing so I lost my grip on the rail and got pulled out into the crowd. It was way too hot in there and I couldn't breathe so I got myself dragged out (as much as I love Tool I'd rather not pass out in the middle of that crowd,) and by the middle of Rosetta Stoned I had walked back into the crowd, near the sound/light booth thing.

Most everything has been covered already, the guys all seemed to be into the show.
-Maynard was a little more chatty than my last show.
-2+ years of waiting made me forget exactly how amazing Adam's guitar sounds live.
-Passage to Bangkok intro got me super fucking excited, then he went into Rosetta Stoned and I cried a little.
-I saw Junior

I definitely learned my lesson on festivals. It was a good experience overall, but I don't think I'll be going to a huge festival like that ever again, especially for Tool. I had to wait out there way too long to have a good spot (7-8 hours.) I'll stick to solo Tool shows from now on.
OFFLINE |  
SterileEyes
08-12-2009, 08:07 PM

My 3rd show during this 3 year run.

I'm part of the "change your setlist or go home" club and I make no apologies - I've gone three times this tour and 4x altogether, I own the albums, I have a right to my opinion. I'm still going to shows and listening to them, aren't I?

I wasn't at the show exclusively for Tool...but for what it was, it was top notch.

I'm glad my friends who never saw them/didn't "get it" finally "got it".

But, again, Tool are way too good of a band to play the 95% the same exact 80 minute show for 3 years. They have the visuals and the talent ready to go to change things up, they have done so in the past, and they simply choose not to.

They never really "have" to as they have enough casual listeners to last a lifetime, but I'm sure some of you apologists, between option A of "I'd see Tool 80 million times play the same set" vs. option B of "I'd love to see Tool play at least a few different songs every time I saw them" would pick option B.

CLICK THAT LINK TO HEAR MY COVER OF "THE GRUDGE"!
Old 08-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #36
Level 4 - Thinker

My 3rd show during this 3 year run.

I'm part of the "change your setlist or go home" club and I make no apologies - I've gone three times this tour and 4x altogether, I own the albums, I have a right to my opinion. I'm still going to shows and listening to them, aren't I?

I wasn't at the show exclusively for Tool...but for what it was, it was top notch.

I'm glad my friends who never saw them/didn't "get it" finally "got it".

But, again, Tool are way too good of a band to play the 95% the same exact 80 minute show for 3 years. They have the visuals and the talent ready to go to change things up, they have done so in the past, and they simply choose not to.

They never really "have" to as they have enough casual listeners to last a lifetime, but I'm sure some of you apologists, between option A of "I'd see Tool 80 million times play the same set" vs. option B of "I'd love to see Tool play at least a few different songs every time I saw them" would pick option B.

CLICK THAT LINK TO HEAR MY COVER OF "THE GRUDGE"!
OFFLINE |  
Runner701's Avatar Runner701
08-13-2009, 05:18 AM

I have noticed that the signed Tool poster I purchased at Lollapalooza does not contain an embossed seal. Do you think this could be an oversight, or were the signed posters purposefully not embossed?

thanks.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:18 AM   #37
Level 7 - Loquacious

I have noticed that the signed Tool poster I purchased at Lollapalooza does not contain an embossed seal. Do you think this could be an oversight, or were the signed posters purposefully not embossed?

thanks.
OFFLINE |  
08-13-2009, 10:36 AM

With regard to the posters... i noticed that no poster was put up on toolband.com for the Lollapalooza show. I had no intension of buying a poster at the show, but I was interested in seeing what Adam had designed. Is it possible they were unofficial posters or something, or was it obvious that it was Adam's artwork?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:36 AM   #38
Level 10 - Vehement

With regard to the posters... i noticed that no poster was put up on toolband.com for the Lollapalooza show. I had no intension of buying a poster at the show, but I was interested in seeing what Adam had designed. Is it possible they were unofficial posters or something, or was it obvious that it was Adam's artwork?
Runner701's Avatar Runner701
08-13-2009, 11:04 AM

The Lolla poster is definitely Adam's work. There are a couple on ebay right now...

I am curious about the discrepancies between the signed and unsigned posters for the purpose of authentication. My signed poster does not have an embossed seal (an oversight?), while all of the unsigned posters definitely do have an embossed seal in the lower right hand corner.

If the unsigned posters were the only ones to be embossed, it would prohibit someone from adding signatures an unsigned poster - because we would know that all the embossed posters were never signed by the band.

However, I have seen several so-called "signed posters" up for sale on ebay that have the embossed seal. I'm wondering if these are fakes (or if my signed poster without a seal is an anomaly).

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by Runner701; 08-13-2009 at 11:36 AM..
Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #39
Level 7 - Loquacious

The Lolla poster is definitely Adam's work. There are a couple on ebay right now...

I am curious about the discrepancies between the signed and unsigned posters for the purpose of authentication. My signed poster does not have an embossed seal (an oversight?), while all of the unsigned posters definitely do have an embossed seal in the lower right hand corner.

If the unsigned posters were the only ones to be embossed, it would prohibit someone from adding signatures an unsigned poster - because we would know that all the embossed posters were never signed by the band.

However, I have seen several so-called "signed posters" up for sale on ebay that have the embossed seal. I'm wondering if these are fakes (or if my signed poster without a seal is an anomaly).

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by Runner701; 08-13-2009 at 11:36 AM..
OFFLINE |  
graycard's Avatar graycard
08-13-2009, 01:21 PM

Was my fourth Tool show and first one since the Lateralus tour.

I thought they sounded great as usual. I think it threw some people off there was no "encore" in the traditional sense but I knew what to expect based on the things I read in the forum.

I took my point and shoot and took some pics. I was in the back of the first area next to the divider. Sorry if that is confusing but if you were there you would know what I am talking about.

So most of the shots are pretty wide but you can see the stage set-up and lighting situation pretty well.

It was pretty tight in there but relatively free of shoving. We were just kind of pressed together.

See photos in my Day 2 Lollapalooza gallery here:

Tool images start at #18

http://bit.ly/2NDkou

Enjoy!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

Was my fourth Tool show and first one since the Lateralus tour.

I thought they sounded great as usual. I think it threw some people off there was no "encore" in the traditional sense but I knew what to expect based on the things I read in the forum.

I took my point and shoot and took some pics. I was in the back of the first area next to the divider. Sorry if that is confusing but if you were there you would know what I am talking about.

So most of the shots are pretty wide but you can see the stage set-up and lighting situation pretty well.

It was pretty tight in there but relatively free of shoving. We were just kind of pressed together.

See photos in my Day 2 Lollapalooza gallery here:

Tool images start at #18

http://bit.ly/2NDkou

Enjoy!
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply