opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Salival » 3. Pushit
User Name
Password
Old 04-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
So many meanings!

It would seem that we have gotten way off track when it comes to getting to the personal experiences we have with the song other then "it gives me chills", damn it why does it give you chills?
This song Pushit has given me the ability to be the pusher and the push-ie, that is what makes this song so amazing and versatile.
Past all the mysticism these songs ignite intimate experiences to most subconsciously lived, hence the reason we fall so deeply into tools songs, they aren't talking to the over-analyzing tool know-it-all, they are trying to ignite something more... What could that be???

Last edited by RachJacob; 04-24-2008 at 11:20 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 480
Re: So many meanings!

I think that there is no really deep subtleties in the songs. Pushit to me has its one meaning to the band, which is quite hard for us to guess so therefor we bring what we know/have experienced into the music and make up our own interpretations. I think thats what their music is trying to ignite--creativity. The fact that we are on this website sharing experiences about their music, we are simply creating a community.

Their music is bringing people together, making people think and in return they give us nothing to expose the songs true meanings. Why? That'd put an end to what is being done here.

I unno, that's my two pennies! I don't think there is much more than that.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yast3r View Post
I think that there is no really deep subtleties in the songs. Pushit to me has its one meaning to the band, which is quite hard for us to guess so therefor we bring what we know/have experienced into the music and make up our own interpretations. I think thats what their music is trying to ignite--creativity. The fact that we are on this website sharing experiences about their music, we are simply creating a community.

Their music is bringing people together, making people think and in return they give us nothing to expose the songs true meanings. Why? That'd put an end to what is being done here.

I unno, that's my two pennies! I don't think there is much more than that.
I would have to disagree with you on this, while I don't over-analyze thing like iAMTHEMa...I think it's more than obvious that they intentionally use layered meanings within the music or or least leave them in a general enough of a sense so that it's not directed to any one thing in particular (DISCLAIMER: This of course does not mean that EVERY far fetched dumbass idea is valid at all or even close to correct).

I understand what the OP is saying though even in Pushit where you can get the sense of being the victim and the abuser at the same time, or at least being pushed for so long until you fight back and retaliate.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

I meant that when I said they leave their music open for us to create our own interpretations. There are many layers staring at us like pieces of construction paper... we can fold them, overlap them and place them out to make a pretty picture... or we can just look at them as an abstract piece with a bunch of construction paper snippets.

Know what I mean? Maybe I should use better metaphors. :P
Old 04-24-2008, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
Sometimes I don't think it's much more than a simple matter of all the band members-- notably maynard-- being on the same page regarding exactly which abstract, drug-like headspace it is that they're trying to evoke-- notably that which they evoke through the instrumentation.
How you see there music can say a lot about how you interpret your world, your perspectives. Be careful with tool fans they will eat you alive.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #6

Better metaphors or not, the reason it is so hard to pin down what theirs songs mean to you personally is mainly due to the fact that these songs can have meaning to so many different aspects in our lives. But in the end it all comes down to one battle.

Last edited by RachJacob; 04-24-2008 at 03:06 PM..
Old 04-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #7

Quote:
One battle?
I am not here to give answers, only stimulate ones.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Is that kind of like jeopardy?
You mean "What is Jeopardy?"
Old 05-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachJacob View Post
How you see there music can say a lot about how you interpret your world, your perspectives. Be careful with tool fans they will eat you alive.
True dat---now I'm a cannibal. jk

Pushit, to me, is a fairly difficult song to decipher---I'm not sure on whether the meaning itself is vague or whether I just haven't exposed the song to myself the right way.

When you first hear it, it kind of hints at the fact that it's a very sexual, yet violent song.

At the same time, I try to consider the link it has to Cesaro Summability, where a baby screams.

And then the lyrics of "ripping your fucking throat away" really bring question.

As a final short summary, I am led to believe that it is another expedition into either another person or oneself, because take note of the beginning.

"I will choke until I swallow
Choke this infant here before me
What is this but my reflection?
Who am I to judge and strike you down?"

Could this be Maynard trying to strike down an ego of sorts, or, if I were to stretch the subject...what if this infant was Devo?

That would really change things. And I sort of think that as a huge, HUGE stretch, but i just felt like throwing it in there.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
Level 10 - Vehement

The first thing that came to my mind when listening to the song was about his son, Devo. As a child is a flesh and bone reflection of yourself and... well it's and infant before him.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #11
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxs View Post
True dat---now I'm a cannibal. jk

Pushit, to me, is a fairly difficult song to decipher---I'm not sure on whether the meaning itself is vague or whether I just haven't exposed the song to myself the right way.

When you first hear it, it kind of hints at the fact that it's a very sexual, yet violent song.

At the same time, I try to consider the link it has to Cesaro Summability, where a baby screams.

And then the lyrics of "ripping your fucking throat away" really bring question.

As a final short summary, I am led to believe that it is another expedition into either another person or oneself, because take note of the beginning.

"I will choke until I swallow

Could this be Maynard trying to strike down an ego of sorts, or, if I were to stretch the subject...what if this infant was Devo?

That would really change things. And I sort of think that as a huge, HUGE stretch, but i just felt like throwing it in there.
What if the relationship he was in with Devo's mother was just so fucking stressful, he didn't know what to do. The infant before him is his son (his reflection) that he mentions but the song turns to his gisgust and hatred towards the woman because she's pushing and shoving him (whether that be physically, verbally, mentally and/or emotionally). It makes a lot of sense if you think of it in that way. When my son was still very young sometimes I wanted to take my stress out on him when he would cry non stop and there was nothing you could do, on top of that the relationship was fucking hell, it drove me mad...sometimes I wanted to scream at my own baby son because of all the stress I was under. Hence the words, choke this infant...who am I to judge or strike you down. He's realizes he's getting mad at his own son then contemplates this isn't your fault, it's hers.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:30 AM   #12
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

That could be plausible, but it makes little sense that he would blame his stress on his wife rather than his son, though.

Sure, the wife is the one that gave birth to the child...but she herself has gone through enough turmoil by delivering the damn thing, and I'm sure he knows that. Are you saying that the blame he subconsciously throws is on his wife is when he's gone red with stress?

I'm sorry that you had to go through all that child stuff. First few years are always tough, eh?
Old 05-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #13
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Well, the argument was branching off the child...right?
Old 05-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #14
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

No, I mean, what you meant earlier.
Unless you weren't really going through that at all.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #15
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
That could be plausible, but it makes little sense that he would blame his stress on his wife rather than his son, though.

Sure, the wife is the one that gave birth to the child...but she herself has gone through enough turmoil by delivering the damn thing, and I'm sure he knows that. Are you saying that the blame he subconsciously throws is on his wife is when he's gone red with stress?

I'm sorry that you had to go through all that child stuff. First few years are always tough, eh?
No no, you misunderstood. He split with Devo's mom long ago. What I'm saying is that the relationship between the two of them was perhaps very chaotic and she pushed him to the breaking point. My point is that when someone is stressed to the max they sometimes tend to take it out on others. Perhaps he was getting mad at the baby but then realizing he was mad at her, not him.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #16
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

OH!

That's why I didn't get it.
Thanks.

Now it all makes sense.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:24 AM   #17
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

And now I feel irrationally stupid.
But I guess it'll pass.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:41 AM   #18
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
And now I feel irrationally stupid.
But I guess it'll pass.
I'd doubt it. I think you can only remove it through years of therapy.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #19
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Oh wow.
So I have to pay a shrink money to feel COMPETENT?
Old 05-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #20
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Oh wow.
So I have to pay a shrink money to feel COMPETENT?
Its safe to assume so.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #21
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

>:O
I shall not fall for your brain therapy madness!
Old 05-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #22
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Good, because a therapist is a waste of money for something so miniscule.

But yeah, I guess I should go back to what was going on in this thread---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
I wasn't, my friends were.

I have no children and no marriages. I prefer to make intelligent decisions rather than rash ones.
I don't have children or marriages or anything of the sort---and I'm much less convinced to really enter a relationship. It's all really a lot of mumbo-jumbo that oftentimes results in the break-ups that Maynard and a lot of others probably gave into.

Even so, people say that "love" (notice this is in quotes) is often the cause for many rash decisions. And then the question of whether love really exists is put into play.

Really, I guess it depends on the person that you question. Some probably believe that love is out there, while some others don't even like to hear the word---believing it as simple show.

And for some reason, this really just sprouted thought within me.

What is love to you guys?
It's such a controversial topic that speaking of it is fairly difficult to me.

Humans seem to sort of know what it is, but I think a certain bunch of us have been confused by society into thinking a certain love is acceptable and unacceptable.

And maybe if we sort of try to define "love" we can get to the root of it.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:04 PM   #23
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483

dxs- you crack me up
Old 05-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #24
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I was thinking about this line

" I will choke until I swallow

and one think come to my mind, it could be him asking to his fiancee to not have the kid "Choke this infant here before me", but she got the decision to have it "Who am I to judge and strike you down" in fact it goes perfectly with the intro of Cesaro Summability, the birth of the child! this song has so many meanings for my point of view, but i could be wrong!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:04 AM   #25
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Good, because a therapist is a waste of money for something so miniscule.

But yeah, I guess I should go back to what was going on in this thread---

I don't have children or marriages or anything of the sort---and I'm much less convinced to really enter a relationship. It's all really a lot of mumbo-jumbo that oftentimes results in the break-ups that Maynard and a lot of others probably gave into.

Even so, people say that "love" (notice this is in quotes) is often the cause for many rash decisions. And then the question of whether love really exists is put into play.

Really, I guess it depends on the person that you question. Some probably believe that love is out there, while some others don't even like to hear the word---believing it as simple show.

And for some reason, this really just sprouted thought within me.

What is love to you guys?
It's such a controversial topic that speaking of it is fairly difficult to me.

Humans seem to sort of know what it is, but I think a certain bunch of us have been confused by society into thinking a certain love is acceptable and unacceptable.

And maybe if we sort of try to define "love" we can get to the root of it.
In the sense of love in a relationship: Love is not about being with someone you can live with, it's about being with someone that you can't live without. It's a word that encompasses a feeling that can either be described in so many words and yet none at all. Love to me is a combination of companionship, friendship and respect for one another. I could go on forever giving details or examples but I don't have time and again it would only be my interpretation.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #26
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483

thats beautiful, you should write a romance novel
Old 05-22-2008, 09:42 AM   #27
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingtool View Post
thats beautiful, you should write a romance novel
Appreciate the sarcasm. Anyways, you're only 20 and apparently think the idea of love is ridiculous or are just too close minded to understand it.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #28
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

short and simply imo

its about loving/caring about the people who you know dont add anything to your life, and bring you down, keep you from being you.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #29
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamminsalmon View Post
short and simply imo

its about loving/caring about the people who you know dont add anything to your life, and bring you down, keep you from being you.
Well that's more of a spirtual and/or religious love/belief. I think the topic was more in the sense of a relationship.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #30
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
Well that's more of a spirtual and/or religious love/belief. I think the topic was more in the sense of a relationship.
Haha, Pushit doesn't seem to hint at an orgy, so it probably does move on to a relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
Appreciate the sarcasm. Anyways, you're only 20 and apparently think the idea of love is ridiculous or are just too close minded to understand it.
Well...how old are you?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #31
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Haha, Pushit doesn't seem to hint at an orgy, so it probably does move on to a relationship.

Well...how old are you?
Well, I think there was just more of a general question of what love meant to people in general. Maybe I was wrong.

I'm 30yrs old
Old 05-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #32
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

It's great that you know where you're standing right now---I guess you have a firm belief in love at the time. There's no wrong definition of love, but the outcome of love is what sometimes takes a wrong turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingtool View Post
dxs- you crack me up
Quote:
likewise.

-_- Ha ha.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #33
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
It's great that you know where you're standing right now---I guess you have a firm belief in love at the time. There's no wrong definition of love, but the outcome of love is what sometimes takes a wrong turn.
I learned that the hard way after a 8yr long relationship with my son's mother when to complete shit.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #34
dxs
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Divorce?
I guess that was a time of constant P.O. and headaches.

So many people have been divorced these days because of such things; it's strange to see people married over 10 years, these days.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #35
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
Divorce?

So many people have been divorced these days because of such things; it's strange to see people married over 10 years, these days.
BTW, you don't have to get married to start having children.

Attend your biology classes.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #36
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Divorce?

I was never married to her, thank god
Old 05-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #37
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Someone talking about 8 years with his son's mother kinda hints at the possiblity of a badly dissolved marriage, though. What IE's said so far rules nothing out.
I'm not sure I understand you're statement here, could you reiterate?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #38
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

if assholes were airplanes, this would be the airport.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #39
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamminsalmon View Post
if assholes were airplanes, this would be the airport.
And you're air traffic control? lol
Old 05-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #40
seeyouauntie

Bincount™: 8695

I always thought pushit was internal struggle..

..ego death.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: