opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Salival » 1. Third Eye
User Name
Password
Old 12-03-2006, 07:55 PM   #41
Level 11 - Moogle (tdn $upporter)

Location: Chocobo's Forest Job: Save games & sell goods Description: Fuzzy little winged creature
Bincount™: 694
Re: Which Version? =)

I like the introduction better on the live version and I can hear a lot of words more clearly, but I think I like the studio version better because I heard that one first. Overall, they really do sound very similar. They're so good live, I sometimes forget which CD I've got in.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 05:23 PM   #42
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I would go out on a limb and say that tehy didn't overdub at all on the live version. If they did it would sound awkward because of the different room accoostics, microphone, speaker cabinet and EQ. I'm not saying it's easy to tell the difference between one and another blind, but singing on a stage of an auditorium full of people sounds very different from singing in a studio, (the stage echoes) and any change from live stage to studio overdub would, in the context of it being in the middle of the song, stick out like a soar thumb. If anything, they woudl have dubbed in keyboard parts, although dubbing guitar and bass is also possible (The guitar inputs get captured right off the soundboard, so they're "sterile" of venue accoostics so they'd be much easier to overdub. Drums have the same problem vocals do, just to a lesesr degree. I think it's pretty darn unlikely that they dubbed anything at all, though.) ...Actually, if I knew that there was one part of hte song that was dubbed and i had to guess which one (which I don't) I would guess it would be the bass drum hits after "Why are you runnin'?" They sound a little odd.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:09 PM   #43
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277

the studio version. love the bagground guitar.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:10 PM   #44
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andorion View Post
Which version of Third Eye do you like more - the studio or Salival one? Does the live version remind you of hearing it at a show, and the euphoria you undoubtedly felt? =)

If I had to choose, I'd definitely pick the studio version. I'm of the opinion that when a song is put on an album and released, something special happens to it - regardless of how many variations there were before it was recorded and regardless of how many variations there are after, the EXACT version that's on the album is special - it's THE master.

~Berj
I agree.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:10 PM   #45
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277

i wish i could hear it live....

ohh sweet orgasm it would be
Old 01-19-2007, 04:58 AM   #46
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

Salival by far.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #47
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

^ .
Old 01-30-2007, 02:26 PM   #48
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i enjoy very much the think for yourself speech, heard it many times on more than just this track, but the vocals kill it on me for salival. at 4:10 on the salival recording, and 3:51 on aenima is my favorite part of the song, when maynards vocals get sliced up, and when that just didnt ever happen on salival i cant say that it is as good as the studio recording
Old 02-10-2007, 02:34 AM   #49
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

I like both versions for different reasons.
The song Third Eye is a journey (like many other Tool songs).
Both versions are different paths on the same journey.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:45 PM   #50
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 63

I think the Salival version has more energy behind it. It's a lot more raw, and that's why I would have to pick it over the studio version. I do however like the Bill Hicks intro more.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #51
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

they're fairly similar musically but there are a few nuances that are different...obviously the samples...I prefer the Timothy Leary one...I don't like in the live one when they kick back into the "SO GOOD TO SEE YOU" they added the little riff before it, I like it much better in the original when it just kicks back in...also I much prefer the studio version of the whole "shrouding all the ground..." part...it's MUCH more subtle and peaceful and intense
Old 05-30-2007, 06:56 PM   #52
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13

hmm...i dunno. Live tracks are always more emotional.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:46 PM   #53
On Probation

Bincount™: 249

i prefer the salival versions of third eye AND pushit although i love the studio versions.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:58 PM   #54
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 10

Just cant get enough of TOOL can we? they are taking over ours lives. They spoil me for other bands and it makes me upset but then again it makes me happy. They are...incredible.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #55
Level 11 - Moogle (tdn $upporter)

Location: Chocobo's Forest Job: Save games & sell goods Description: Fuzzy little winged creature
Bincount™: 694

So...which version is it that you like?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:39 AM   #56
Banned.

Bincount™: 42

SALIVAL VERSION!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #57
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 10

I prefer the Ænima Verison. But then again the Salival verison is also kick ass.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:12 PM   #58
Level 1 - Lurker

I actually prefer a version that you can find on a bootleg from Kalamazoo, MI, 1998. I t doesn't have the live Tabla from aloke, but I think the Salival versions guitar is a bit too loud....this version is way better balanced. . . anyone heard it?
Old 09-30-2007, 06:42 AM   #59
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

Live version for sure. Its far more trippy, and I just like the feel of live music...especially from Tool. Should of made a poll.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:55 PM   #60
wolf sweater

Bincount™: 205

Gotta be the studio version for me.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:17 AM   #61
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 14

I like both for diff. reasons.

The studio: I like the end, when they do it longer.
Live: the overall Energy behind it.

Not believing in things won't make it happen because you don't believe it will.

Peace is a physical and spiritual balance.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:04 PM   #62
Banned.

Bincount™: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by PShepherd11 View Post
I like the introduction better on the live version and I can hear a lot of words more clearly, but I think I like the studio version better because I heard that one first. Overall, they really do sound very similar. They're so good live, I sometimes forget which CD I've got in.
He, exactly why tool is so good. they rock live. most bands nowadays suck balls live. but not tool the dominate.
and i like both versions...for some of the already mentioned reasons.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #63
Level 3 - Talker

BUMP :: Not that a "which is better" thread really needed it but ya know. Even after now having truly listened to the Salival version with the earbuds n lights off/eyes closed treatment, I am still...simply unable to arrive at the conclusion that it is better than the studio take of what's probably my favorite song of my favorite band. I imagine many tool songs take on a certain additional quality live that can't help but at least somewhat transcend the studio takes but...

IDK i guess I just feel that Third Eye, even decidedly more than other songs, is fully realized when it includes the studio as an instrument. Even the 'Nard just can't quite bring home that chopped "hey eh eh eh eyyyy" part between the second verse n Adam's double-tracked sonic painting session. speaking of the double-tracked part, that's the other main thing the live version lacks. These are the two examples that stick out in my head as I'm typing this but there are many more instances throughout the song that, when I get to them in the Salival version ,can't help but at that moment wish I was listening to the studio cut.

All that said, Salival track 01 is a hell of take on a hell of a song and I do enjoy listening to it for a change of pace sometimes. Especially, the intro (something that seems to be touted as the main difference for most people, idk I like both just fine) just has this amazing anticipation/tension to it that may slightly surpass the AEnima version. (by intro I mean the whole works right up til "drea, -ming of, that face again, not just the very beginning samples)
Old 05-07-2010, 01:15 AM   #64
On Probation

Bincount™: 472

I can't get over the sarcasm of Maynard's opening of the schism version.

It's hilarious and all, but come, painted a bit too thick
Old 05-14-2010, 05:54 AM   #65
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andorion View Post
I'm of the opinion that when a song is put on an album and released, something special happens to it - regardless of how many variations there were before it was recorded and regardless of how many variations there are after, the EXACT version that's on the album is special - it's THE master.
So you say that the original 72826 Sober is better then the Undertow one?
Old 05-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #66
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: in the quaalude induced semi-lucid dreams of the mexican staring frog of sri lanka
Bincount™: 80

the kalamazoo boot version is sweet
Old 07-30-2010, 12:54 AM   #67
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 89

I read this and found out that Third Eye really DOES have a studio-recorded version...goddamn iPod doesn't have it >.< (I go home and rip my CDs asap, and then listen to them. I know it's backwards.) Glad to have my CDs with me, then I will update on my favorite :D

Tool - June 20, 2010 - A Perfect Circle - July 22, 2011 - Tool - January 21, 2012 -
Nine Inch Nails - November 5, 2013 - Skinny Puppy - January 30, 2014 - Tool - March 24, 2014 - Tool - January 13, 2016
Old 08-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #68
Level 1 - Lurker

The live version is the best in my opinion. I love Maynard's voice in that song. I really don't listen to the studio version much. I could listen to him sing, "So good to see you, I missed you so much" live everyday. Such a great song. As corny as it sounds, I feel a connection to that song when I hear it live. I can just relate to it on a deeper level that I never felt on the studio version. Seeing it live this year was unbelievable. So good there are no words to explain.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #69
Level 7 - Loquacious

I prefer the live 2010 extended version. I enjoyed the megaphone usage for "child's rhyme stuck in my head," and "shrouding all the ground around me."

Awesome thread, great points from each perspective. I prefer live, because well, that's the only time they sound cleaner than their recordings =)
10-30-01 @ Cricket Pavillion | 11-19-02 @ America West Arena | 6-6-06 @ Gammage Auditorium | 9-1-06 @ Theatre Under the Stars | 9-9-06 @ Cricket Pavillion | 6-6-07 @ Tucson Convention Center | 6-15-07 @ Bonnaroo | 12-13-07 @ The Pearl | 12-14-07 @ The Pearl | 7-18-09 @ Mile High Festival | 7-19-09 @ Energy Solutions Arena | 7-21-09 @ US Airways Center | 7-18-10 @ Nokia Theatre | 7-19-10 @ Nokia Theatre | 1-17-12 @ Tucson Convention Center
Old 09-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #70
Level 1 - Lurker

I have to go with the Salival version. The emotion is there and it sounds so good. I always prefer a good, clean live version of a song. Anything can be done in the studio, when the song is done live, there is one shot, one take. I wish Tool would release more live stuff, a DVD would be so fuckin sweet, but some officially released live concert recordings from the master recordings of them would really be nice. I know people would buy them. But I have to give them credit, they dont have to do it, unlike some bands that do it to just to make some money, they will do it when the time is right.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:32 AM   #71
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 929

black as holes within a memory.

I love this song. any way it's being played out of my speakers sounds good to me.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #72
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

I like the version I heard at Red Rocks.

So good.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #73
Level 4 - Thinker

I like the sound clarity that comes with a studio version, but the Salival version is about as good a performance as you can get. Both do it for me, but I naturally prefer a studio recording.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #74
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

The live version is so much more energized
Old 01-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #75
Banned.

Bincount™: 269

ya'll need to download some bootlegs. there are some truly incredible shows recorded by amateurs floating around out there - the 2010 tour version of Third Eye is fucking ridiculously awesome, much better than the Salival version
Old 03-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #76
Level 2 - Poster

Thanks to this thread, I put on my pirate hat and found quite a few versions of Third Eye I haven't heard before, because I'm suggestible like that.

The 2010 extended version was awesome, but my favorite part of the song has always been the Danny's drumming, of which you can hear in crystal clarity on the Salival version. Plus, the first time I heard it; it blew me away.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #77
On Probation

Bincount™: 7922

lol at my ambivalent posts in this thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: