opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Arts & Crafts
User Name
Password
Old 02-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Looking for suggestions

I'm not sure as how rights go to graphics and such, especially seeing how much bootleg Tool merchandise is sold online, but I was wanting to make a custom Tool sticker to put on the back of my rear window for my new car. I wanted to take the Lateralus eye circle from the face of the CD and enlarge it to about a 12-15" diameter. I haven't had any luck with google images so unless someone has a high quality image of this, I'll probably just have to take a high resolution picture of the disc. Does anyone have any information as to how legal it is (its just for me, I'm not going to mass produce and sell them) and a decent place to have it made?

Thanks

Spiral out, keep going
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 11
Re: Looking for suggestions

Most companies won't print copywrite material, regardless if it's for personal use or not. In this case,it comes down to who you know.

My suggestion would be to create a piece of art using the inspiration from Tool, and you're more likely to find a printer willing to do the job for you. This may not be what you want to hear, but it could work to your benefit! :) Good luck.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

That's kind of what I was thinking but it's good to know the facts. Thanks for the info!

I'm going to try to see if I can't re-create it then just take it to a local vinyl print shop and see if they just won't make it. If they won't, then I'll have to come up with another idea I suppose.

Spiral out, keep going
Old 04-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Have you tried emailing Alex to ask him? alexgrey.com, click 'use of images' down the left. He's a good guy, im sure you'll at least get a polite reply :)
If he gives you his permission to do it then printing shops wont have any problem in making it for you. you'll probably have to sign something to cover them.

Last edited by Guess_Wolf; 04-01-2011 at 09:49 AM..
Old 04-07-2011, 06:09 AM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

it may not be the most wholesome approach, but there is a great vectorized third eye on brandsoftheworld.com, just search for tool.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
Banned.

Bincount™: 3

Yeah, ask Alex. Otherwise, your online good option is to draw/paint it yourself or ask another artist to. If you steal art or infringe, artists everywhere will hate you. I mean, ummm...it's mean, and we don't like it. Especially those of us who have a real hard time selling our stuff.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I didn't even realize that it would be so easy to just email him and ask for his permission. Thank you for the links and the information on where I could contact him. I just sent him an email requesting permission. I have my fingers crossed. If things go well, I'll have to post a pic of the final result.

Spiral out, keep going

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: