Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
CCP
06-16-2009, 03:34 PM

OK, so i'm new here on this site, basically because i've never really been into using the internet much. However, i have been a pretty big fan of tool since about 1995 when i was sixteen and first heard Opiate and Undertow. In my humble opinion Aenima is the best album i've ever owned, i still love it and think it's a perfect album. Then i wait five years for their next release which ofcourse is Lateralus, and album which took a bit of listening before it grew on me, now i like it a lot, The Grudge is one of my favorite songs from the band. But it never came close to the greatness of Aenima, and really there are only five good songs on it.

AND THEN... - 2006 and i see a commercial on tv advertising a new album from the band, a commercial which played a teaser of the song vicarious, i got quite excited because i liked what i heard. Then i buy the album 10,000 days on the release date. Vicarious is a pretty good song, it doesnt come close to anything on Aenima though. and then jambi is ok, um the title track pretty good if you're in the mood for it, the pot is possibly the worst tool song ever, and i don't care how many fanboys try telling me that Maynards vocals at the start of that song are amazing, it sounds terrible, what was he thinking?. rosetta stoned is alright, parts of it are good, and right in two is an alright song too, but none of them are anywhere near as good as most of their early work. There is not one moment on the album that has the passion of their earlier work.

The vocals are laboured, the musicianship is recycled and the fact that they released that crap is a kick in the teeth to tool fans world wide. I loved tool and as much as i was hanging out for more albums from them, i really wish they had just given up if 10,000 days is all they can come up with. Oh and to those of you who say it's just like Lateralus, it requires a lot of listening before ya get it. Bullshit, i've had the album three years and would have listened to it over a hundred times, it still bores me, and no i'm not going to light a whole bunch of candles and meditate and shit just to try and unravel some non existent mystery.

I see that tool are on tour again, if they're contemplating making new material, they have got to forget about 10,000 days and write something good this time. Or better yet, write a song about how much 10,000 days sucks.

My three favorite albums from all bands are Aenima-Undertow-Lateralus. My least favorite album from all bands is 10,000 days. That says something.

I just wish that real fans of the band will finally admit that it sucks and stop fooling themselves, I read reviews on amazon.com and there were a lot of people giving this shit five stars lol. It's funny that they all said practically the same thing. "you gotta give it a few listens before you understand it", "this album is genius". BUllshit.

The best thing for the bands sake would be for the fans to finally be honest about how much the album sucks. Tool must be the only band in the world who's fans will accept such crap from with such eager ignorance.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
CCP
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
10,000 days is great?

OK, so i'm new here on this site, basically because i've never really been into using the internet much. However, i have been a pretty big fan of tool since about 1995 when i was sixteen and first heard Opiate and Undertow. In my humble opinion Aenima is the best album i've ever owned, i still love it and think it's a perfect album. Then i wait five years for their next release which ofcourse is Lateralus, and album which took a bit of listening before it grew on me, now i like it a lot, The Grudge is one of my favorite songs from the band. But it never came close to the greatness of Aenima, and really there are only five good songs on it.

AND THEN... - 2006 and i see a commercial on tv advertising a new album from the band, a commercial which played a teaser of the song vicarious, i got quite excited because i liked what i heard. Then i buy the album 10,000 days on the release date. Vicarious is a pretty good song, it doesnt come close to anything on Aenima though. and then jambi is ok, um the title track pretty good if you're in the mood for it, the pot is possibly the worst tool song ever, and i don't care how many fanboys try telling me that Maynards vocals at the start of that song are amazing, it sounds terrible, what was he thinking?. rosetta stoned is alright, parts of it are good, and right in two is an alright song too, but none of them are anywhere near as good as most of their early work. There is not one moment on the album that has the passion of their earlier work.

The vocals are laboured, the musicianship is recycled and the fact that they released that crap is a kick in the teeth to tool fans world wide. I loved tool and as much as i was hanging out for more albums from them, i really wish they had just given up if 10,000 days is all they can come up with. Oh and to those of you who say it's just like Lateralus, it requires a lot of listening before ya get it. Bullshit, i've had the album three years and would have listened to it over a hundred times, it still bores me, and no i'm not going to light a whole bunch of candles and meditate and shit just to try and unravel some non existent mystery.

I see that tool are on tour again, if they're contemplating making new material, they have got to forget about 10,000 days and write something good this time. Or better yet, write a song about how much 10,000 days sucks.

My three favorite albums from all bands are Aenima-Undertow-Lateralus. My least favorite album from all bands is 10,000 days. That says something.

I just wish that real fans of the band will finally admit that it sucks and stop fooling themselves, I read reviews on amazon.com and there were a lot of people giving this shit five stars lol. It's funny that they all said practically the same thing. "you gotta give it a few listens before you understand it", "this album is genius". BUllshit.

The best thing for the bands sake would be for the fans to finally be honest about how much the album sucks. Tool must be the only band in the world who's fans will accept such crap from with such eager ignorance.
OFFLINE |  
Lateralareallofus's Avatar Lateralareallofus
06-16-2009, 03:58 PM

I disagree with your opinion that 10000 days sucks. i love the album, not near to as much as lateralus or aenima, but i still think its a great tool album. But i do hear alot of people expressing their dislike for 10000 days.
To me the album sounds like a natural progression from lateralus. the title track is one of the most moving songs i have ever heard, but i think jambi is my favorite track, or at least the one i am able to listen to the most.
I am curious as to why many dont like this album. my theory from reading many of the disussions on this site and from my own feelings about this album is that 10000 days didnt bash you over the head with tool's vision, message or whatever you wanna call it, as much as aenima and especially lateralus did.
Lateralus told you to let your grudges go, be patient, rediscover communication, realize your sprirituality and appreciate life as a divine experience. they communicated this through direct lyrics. 10000 days did not.
10000 days expressed apathy and confused aggression. There is no direct lyrics telling you wake the fuck up and stop being an ignorant human. 10000 days is their 'blues album' as the bandmembers said themselves. It doesnt pushit on you like aenima and lateralus did. Maynard answered the revolver interviewer's question as to what the overall theme of the album was and he replied with the quote that you can lead a horse to water but you cant teach it how to swim. Tool can show you the way, but they cant make you change/evolve/become a better person/whatever you listen to tool for.
They probably did not expect 10000 days to be dissappointing to their fans but they did want people to feel that something was missing in the 2006 album.
what could they possible make after such an epic album in 2001? lateralus part 2? no. they had to let you fill that gap you feel yourself by wanting something different, wanting to change, wanting to evolve. and making that decision to change.

thats my opinion at least. if this isnt the case, what specifically do dislike about the album? the lyrical content? the actual music?
Old 06-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #2

Bincount™: 1
Re: 10,000 days is great?

I disagree with your opinion that 10000 days sucks. i love the album, not near to as much as lateralus or aenima, but i still think its a great tool album. But i do hear alot of people expressing their dislike for 10000 days.
To me the album sounds like a natural progression from lateralus. the title track is one of the most moving songs i have ever heard, but i think jambi is my favorite track, or at least the one i am able to listen to the most.
I am curious as to why many dont like this album. my theory from reading many of the disussions on this site and from my own feelings about this album is that 10000 days didnt bash you over the head with tool's vision, message or whatever you wanna call it, as much as aenima and especially lateralus did.
Lateralus told you to let your grudges go, be patient, rediscover communication, realize your sprirituality and appreciate life as a divine experience. they communicated this through direct lyrics. 10000 days did not.
10000 days expressed apathy and confused aggression. There is no direct lyrics telling you wake the fuck up and stop being an ignorant human. 10000 days is their 'blues album' as the bandmembers said themselves. It doesnt pushit on you like aenima and lateralus did. Maynard answered the revolver interviewer's question as to what the overall theme of the album was and he replied with the quote that you can lead a horse to water but you cant teach it how to swim. Tool can show you the way, but they cant make you change/evolve/become a better person/whatever you listen to tool for.
They probably did not expect 10000 days to be dissappointing to their fans but they did want people to feel that something was missing in the 2006 album.
what could they possible make after such an epic album in 2001? lateralus part 2? no. they had to let you fill that gap you feel yourself by wanting something different, wanting to change, wanting to evolve. and making that decision to change.

thats my opinion at least. if this isnt the case, what specifically do dislike about the album? the lyrical content? the actual music?
OFFLINE |  
CCP
06-16-2009, 04:16 PM

My dislike for the album seems to grow with each listen which is the opposite effect that Lateralus had on me.

My main gripe with the album is the fillers. I don't see how Indian chanting fits in with the album and all of the fillers are boring. I know a lot of tool fans don't refer to these as fillers because somehow they find meaning in them which in some strange way fits in with the album as a whole. I think that is true in regards to Aenima and Lateralus but not in 10,000 days.

And songs like 'the pot' are just riddled with uninspired wannabe cryptic lyrics. I have mixed emotions when i hear that song. I laugh because it's so bad, but i feel sad that they released that rubbish on us. Maynards vocals have deterriorated substantially and he no longer has that amazing ability to draw you into a song. 10,000 days is background music at best. Surely we could have expected more than that.

I agree that the title track is good, but it could have been better. It's good but not 'Tool good'.

I'm sure they can do better than this crap, and i hope they release something else which will restore my faith. I can't stand the album.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
CCP

My dislike for the album seems to grow with each listen which is the opposite effect that Lateralus had on me.

My main gripe with the album is the fillers. I don't see how Indian chanting fits in with the album and all of the fillers are boring. I know a lot of tool fans don't refer to these as fillers because somehow they find meaning in them which in some strange way fits in with the album as a whole. I think that is true in regards to Aenima and Lateralus but not in 10,000 days.

And songs like 'the pot' are just riddled with uninspired wannabe cryptic lyrics. I have mixed emotions when i hear that song. I laugh because it's so bad, but i feel sad that they released that rubbish on us. Maynards vocals have deterriorated substantially and he no longer has that amazing ability to draw you into a song. 10,000 days is background music at best. Surely we could have expected more than that.

I agree that the title track is good, but it could have been better. It's good but not 'Tool good'.

I'm sure they can do better than this crap, and i hope they release something else which will restore my faith. I can't stand the album.
OFFLINE |  
06-16-2009, 04:33 PM

ya im not sure about the pot either. I like the almost funkly dance like rock sound to it. but its vagueness keeps me from loving it. But this had a purpose. the song has so many different meanings, more than any of us are probably aware of. overall its about hypocrisy, but its also about those who smoke pot, those who dont smoke, but are high on themselves, the relationship between his mother and maynard, the governments attack on the middle east, maybe even somehting to do with alchemy/magik... the ambiguity is complicated, but has a purpose.

the fillers all have a reason. i wish too that some of the fillers had been made into full songs but thats why they are the artists, the create this with their vision. Lipan conjuring has many purposes, i like it as a soothing song that makes me almost forget about the previous half of the album and focus for the next epic song, rosetta stoned, not to mention right in two. these fillers/segues were put there to make the album feel more flowing. i love it. many dont.

if youre into the more esoteric reasons as to lipans and lost keys purpose, then look into the tree of life, the 10 (or 11) sephirot to get what each track represents.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #4

ya im not sure about the pot either. I like the almost funkly dance like rock sound to it. but its vagueness keeps me from loving it. But this had a purpose. the song has so many different meanings, more than any of us are probably aware of. overall its about hypocrisy, but its also about those who smoke pot, those who dont smoke, but are high on themselves, the relationship between his mother and maynard, the governments attack on the middle east, maybe even somehting to do with alchemy/magik... the ambiguity is complicated, but has a purpose.

the fillers all have a reason. i wish too that some of the fillers had been made into full songs but thats why they are the artists, the create this with their vision. Lipan conjuring has many purposes, i like it as a soothing song that makes me almost forget about the previous half of the album and focus for the next epic song, rosetta stoned, not to mention right in two. these fillers/segues were put there to make the album feel more flowing. i love it. many dont.

if youre into the more esoteric reasons as to lipans and lost keys purpose, then look into the tree of life, the 10 (or 11) sephirot to get what each track represents.
OFFLINE |  
CCP
06-16-2009, 04:49 PM

hmm yeah i just think it's boring. I like deep meaningful music aswell as heavy music. The album doesnt achieve either and that's all i have to say on the topic. I'm going to go and listen Katatonia or something.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
CCP

hmm yeah i just think it's boring. I like deep meaningful music aswell as heavy music. The album doesnt achieve either and that's all i have to say on the topic. I'm going to go and listen Katatonia or something.
OFFLINE |  
06-16-2009, 04:50 PM

CCP, as a new member to this site you should be aware of the ghouls. many kids find it cool to post useless put-downs on discussion boards. it seems to fill the hole where any creativity and original thought should be. try to ignore them. like almost every other thread, this one will soon be shit upon by the flock of fools who talk shit to one another and everyone else. sift through it and continue posting without regard to them/
Old 06-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #6

CCP, as a new member to this site you should be aware of the ghouls. many kids find it cool to post useless put-downs on discussion boards. it seems to fill the hole where any creativity and original thought should be. try to ignore them. like almost every other thread, this one will soon be shit upon by the flock of fools who talk shit to one another and everyone else. sift through it and continue posting without regard to them/
OFFLINE |  
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
06-16-2009, 06:40 PM

Damn, you sound bitter CCP. How many masterpieces can a band turn out in their career? 10,000 Days is a fine album from beginning to end. And I don't see any reason to bash the band for a lackluster effort iyo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCP
I happen to enjoy the album, even though it's not a mind blowing puzzle of fibonacci spirals and tidal waves. I accept them for who they are now and think that they are the best live band out there touring right now.

LOL "crap". You came here 3 years after the album was released to bitch about it?

Last edited by lotus.; 06-16-2009 at 06:44 PM..
Old 06-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

Damn, you sound bitter CCP. How many masterpieces can a band turn out in their career? 10,000 Days is a fine album from beginning to end. And I don't see any reason to bash the band for a lackluster effort iyo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCP
I happen to enjoy the album, even though it's not a mind blowing puzzle of fibonacci spirals and tidal waves. I accept them for who they are now and think that they are the best live band out there touring right now.

LOL "crap". You came here 3 years after the album was released to bitch about it?

Last edited by lotus.; 06-16-2009 at 06:44 PM..
OFFLINE |  
CCP
06-16-2009, 07:18 PM

Yep i do think it's crap. As for their live performance, i agree with you. I think they are the best live band around. Back in 96' when i saw them it was a total mind-fuck, the most awesome show ever. But i also loved their shows in 2001 and 2002 on the Lateralus tours, i was buzzing for weeks after those shows. However, the band has only played one show in New Zealand since then and i'd be a hypocrite if i actually attended it so i stayed home :). The main reason i didnt go was for fear that i'd have to put up with young kids singing along to 'the pot' and a friend of mine assured me that's exactly what he had to put up with lol. shocking. But anyway, it is kinda stupid of me to be bitching about a three year old album that imo is worse than a coal chamber record, but i just felt like doing it anyway :) peace..
Old 06-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
CCP

Yep i do think it's crap. As for their live performance, i agree with you. I think they are the best live band around. Back in 96' when i saw them it was a total mind-fuck, the most awesome show ever. But i also loved their shows in 2001 and 2002 on the Lateralus tours, i was buzzing for weeks after those shows. However, the band has only played one show in New Zealand since then and i'd be a hypocrite if i actually attended it so i stayed home :). The main reason i didnt go was for fear that i'd have to put up with young kids singing along to 'the pot' and a friend of mine assured me that's exactly what he had to put up with lol. shocking. But anyway, it is kinda stupid of me to be bitching about a three year old album that imo is worse than a coal chamber record, but i just felt like doing it anyway :) peace..
OFFLINE |  
CCP
06-16-2009, 07:27 PM

maybe not as bad as a coal chamber record lol that was a bit over the top
Old 06-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #9
CCP

OFFLINE |  
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
06-16-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCP View Post
Ok, I respect your opinion. Well that sucks living in New Zealand, (not the place mang) but for not being able to see live Tool shows since they rarely go there. Yeah, young audiences can suck but I'm there for the band and the live show and the crowds at all of the 7 tool shows that I've been to here in the Chicago area (and surrounding states) since 1996 have been very upstanding.

peAce out y0.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
Up From The Skies

Quote:
Ok, I respect your opinion. Well that sucks living in New Zealand, (not the place mang) but for not being able to see live Tool shows since they rarely go there. Yeah, young audiences can suck but I'm there for the band and the live show and the crowds at all of the 7 tool shows that I've been to here in the Chicago area (and surrounding states) since 1996 have been very upstanding.

peAce out y0.
OFFLINE |  
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
06-16-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Coal Chamber, heard of them but never actually listened to their music haha.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #11
Up From The Skies

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Coal Chamber, heard of them but never actually listened to their music haha.
OFFLINE |  
Kody27
06-16-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:

You can't complain about a song that you have no idea what it means, all you can do is say,
"I don't understand anything maynard is talking about" and leave it at that. Instead you're just making yourself look like an extremist, and an ignorant one at that.

I will agree, however, that Lateralus and Aenima have a more complete album experience as a whole, like one long movie or state of mind that you can stay in for the whole show. As to where Days is more like a collection of different movies, and separate states of mind, cut up and forcefully tied together with some ambient string.

I must say that Lipan conjuring, to me anyway, is the equivalent of ginger at a sushi place. You know the pink ham looking stuff that they put next to the wasabi (green horse radish)? It's sole purpose is to cleanse your taste buds inbetween dishes or different types of sushi, so you can fully appreciate the taste and quality of the next dish without mixing it all together. Of course most americans just shove it all in their mouth, but not unlike fine wine tasters the japanese like to enjoy the different experiences of sushi. I think that's why Lipan conjuring was put where it was, inbetween the pot and lost keys to act as a sort of cleansing point, and also a swivel from straight rock to epic psychedelia.

in my opinion, tool wanted us to experience 10,00 Days as a whole just as much as they experienced it when they wrote it, so they gave us these "fillers" to justify our state of mind.

Musically speaking, the album is fucking phenomenal, there's no question about that, and I tend to think more of Danny Carey than anything when saying that. Everything that man does is golden, and I'm not even a drummer, i'm a guitarist. Adam plays his role perfectly, imo, as does justin and maynard just doesn't give a shit anymore. That's not to say that he didn't impress me on days though, it actually impresses me more that he can not give a shit and still make timeless songs that will last 50 years from now. Of course I guess we'll just have to wait and see won't we?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:48 PM   #12
On Probation

Bincount™: 7

Quote:

You can't complain about a song that you have no idea what it means, all you can do is say,
"I don't understand anything maynard is talking about" and leave it at that. Instead you're just making yourself look like an extremist, and an ignorant one at that.

I will agree, however, that Lateralus and Aenima have a more complete album experience as a whole, like one long movie or state of mind that you can stay in for the whole show. As to where Days is more like a collection of different movies, and separate states of mind, cut up and forcefully tied together with some ambient string.

I must say that Lipan conjuring, to me anyway, is the equivalent of ginger at a sushi place. You know the pink ham looking stuff that they put next to the wasabi (green horse radish)? It's sole purpose is to cleanse your taste buds inbetween dishes or different types of sushi, so you can fully appreciate the taste and quality of the next dish without mixing it all together. Of course most americans just shove it all in their mouth, but not unlike fine wine tasters the japanese like to enjoy the different experiences of sushi. I think that's why Lipan conjuring was put where it was, inbetween the pot and lost keys to act as a sort of cleansing point, and also a swivel from straight rock to epic psychedelia.

in my opinion, tool wanted us to experience 10,00 Days as a whole just as much as they experienced it when they wrote it, so they gave us these "fillers" to justify our state of mind.

Musically speaking, the album is fucking phenomenal, there's no question about that, and I tend to think more of Danny Carey than anything when saying that. Everything that man does is golden, and I'm not even a drummer, i'm a guitarist. Adam plays his role perfectly, imo, as does justin and maynard just doesn't give a shit anymore. That's not to say that he didn't impress me on days though, it actually impresses me more that he can not give a shit and still make timeless songs that will last 50 years from now. Of course I guess we'll just have to wait and see won't we?
OFFLINE |  
lotus.'s Avatar lotus.
06-16-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kody27 View Post
Kody, I must say that I like your analogy. I personally don't care too much for the ginger but the wasabi is a party in my fucking mouth mixed with fresh sushi (Tool).

I could go for a Saki Bomb right about now while listening to Rosetta Stoned.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #13
Up From The Skies

Quote:
Kody, I must say that I like your analogy. I personally don't care too much for the ginger but the wasabi is a party in my fucking mouth mixed with fresh sushi (Tool).

I could go for a Saki Bomb right about now while listening to Rosetta Stoned.
OFFLINE |  
CCP
06-16-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
What i was saying about the song is that it's written poorly compared with their early stuff. I'd expect those type of lyrics from a teenybopper band. Sure it's slightly cryptic and yes i've looked into the meaning and read how others decode it. But that doesnt take away from the fact that he uses lyrics like "you must have been high" whatever the intended meaning, that is lame.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #14
CCP

Quote:
What i was saying about the song is that it's written poorly compared with their early stuff. I'd expect those type of lyrics from a teenybopper band. Sure it's slightly cryptic and yes i've looked into the meaning and read how others decode it. But that doesnt take away from the fact that he uses lyrics like "you must have been high" whatever the intended meaning, that is lame.
OFFLINE |  
D NAC
06-16-2009, 10:54 PM

I think people are to quick to judge tool based on the vocals. I'll admit I listen to Tool waaaayyyyy too much. I think Maynard is an awesome vocalist and he's initially what caught my attention, but the rest of the band is what keeps me listening. When people say that 10k days is their worst album I think a lot of them mean to say that it's Maynards worst album, which I would agree with. He doesn't do a bad job on it but it does seem to lack the effort/emotion of his previous work. And I think the ambiguity of his overall message throughout the album keeps many people from enjoying it. 10k days is still one of my favorite albums because to be completely honest, I really don't care what Maynard has to say anymore. There is a lot to be enjoyed if you really pay attention to what Justin, Danny, and Adam do on this record.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:54 PM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 3

I think people are to quick to judge tool based on the vocals. I'll admit I listen to Tool waaaayyyyy too much. I think Maynard is an awesome vocalist and he's initially what caught my attention, but the rest of the band is what keeps me listening. When people say that 10k days is their worst album I think a lot of them mean to say that it's Maynards worst album, which I would agree with. He doesn't do a bad job on it but it does seem to lack the effort/emotion of his previous work. And I think the ambiguity of his overall message throughout the album keeps many people from enjoying it. 10k days is still one of my favorite albums because to be completely honest, I really don't care what Maynard has to say anymore. There is a lot to be enjoyed if you really pay attention to what Justin, Danny, and Adam do on this record.
OFFLINE |  
CCP
06-17-2009, 12:19 AM

I respect your opinion
Old 06-17-2009, 12:19 AM   #16
CCP

I respect your opinion
OFFLINE |  
Mozeley's Avatar Mozeley
06-17-2009, 12:39 AM

I'm in the middle. I neither hate or love 10,000 days.

I worship Aenima, and think that Lateralus, whilst still a brilliant album, can't touch it.

I think that if I was 16, 17, 18 again, and all I did was smoke pot and listen to music, then I might like 10,000 days more, as I believe that it's an album that you can't judge unless you really give yourself over to it. However, it seems like you have given it enough time, and you still don't like it, so...

P.S this is the most mature discussion there's been on this message board for years.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:39 AM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 15

I'm in the middle. I neither hate or love 10,000 days.

I worship Aenima, and think that Lateralus, whilst still a brilliant album, can't touch it.

I think that if I was 16, 17, 18 again, and all I did was smoke pot and listen to music, then I might like 10,000 days more, as I believe that it's an album that you can't judge unless you really give yourself over to it. However, it seems like you have given it enough time, and you still don't like it, so...

P.S this is the most mature discussion there's been on this message board for years.
06-17-2009, 05:12 AM

I'll take the "10000 Days" is weak side on this one because it corralates with my opnion! Awesome. There are...4 good songs. GOOD being the key word. Tool is a great band, best live band ever, hands down, but they kinda slacked on 10000 days. But 10k was the best album to come out during that time, and still a good album, compared to everything else, but for TOOL, it's a disappointment.

my 2 cents.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:12 AM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 35

I'll take the "10000 Days" is weak side on this one because it corralates with my opnion! Awesome. There are...4 good songs. GOOD being the key word. Tool is a great band, best live band ever, hands down, but they kinda slacked on 10000 days. But 10k was the best album to come out during that time, and still a good album, compared to everything else, but for TOOL, it's a disappointment.

my 2 cents.
06-17-2009, 09:44 AM

maynard's worst album? I think it's his most refined album imo. Everything from epic screams, to his weird whispers and undertones, to sheer beautiful singing voice in RIT, to insane ranting/rapping in rosetta stoned, and his morrison-esque poetic prose in intension.
they went from having no political or drug references (lateralus), which was an album in which Tool was looking at themselves i think, to 10KDays where Tool turned their eye to the outside, it's as if Lateralus was all introspection and Days is a look at the outside, making fun of americans and tv fiends, and going political and drug reference crazy. there's so many topics in the world tool could of written about but chose not to for lateralus, the whole album revolved around self reflection. Now where will they turn an eye to?
Old 06-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #19
On Probation

maynard's worst album? I think it's his most refined album imo. Everything from epic screams, to his weird whispers and undertones, to sheer beautiful singing voice in RIT, to insane ranting/rapping in rosetta stoned, and his morrison-esque poetic prose in intension.
they went from having no political or drug references (lateralus), which was an album in which Tool was looking at themselves i think, to 10KDays where Tool turned their eye to the outside, it's as if Lateralus was all introspection and Days is a look at the outside, making fun of americans and tv fiends, and going political and drug reference crazy. there's so many topics in the world tool could of written about but chose not to for lateralus, the whole album revolved around self reflection. Now where will they turn an eye to?
OFFLINE |  
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
06-17-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
From a interview we know that the Pot almost caused a break up in the band (Adam vs Maynard). I kinda like the groove but the song is a tad too long.
Don't think I've ever read this before. Got a link?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #20
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
From a interview we know that the Pot almost caused a break up in the band (Adam vs Maynard). I kinda like the groove but the song is a tad too long.
Don't think I've ever read this before. Got a link?
06-17-2009, 11:42 AM

I could post another usual instigating comment towards inner here, but he makes it so easy I don't even have to insult him anymore. just sit back and watch the stupidity unfold naturally.

btw, your presence threw a wrench in this thread ;)
Old 06-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #21
On Probation

I could post another usual instigating comment towards inner here, but he makes it so easy I don't even have to insult him anymore. just sit back and watch the stupidity unfold naturally.

btw, your presence threw a wrench in this thread ;)
OFFLINE |  
06-17-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:

you gotta give it a few listens before you understand it
Old 06-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #22

Bincount™: 391

Quote:

you gotta give it a few listens before you understand it
OFFLINE |  
06-17-2009, 04:12 PM

ya i never heard about the Pot almost causing a breakup becuse of maynard and adam. gotta link to that interview?
Old 06-17-2009, 04:12 PM   #23

ya i never heard about the Pot almost causing a breakup becuse of maynard and adam. gotta link to that interview?
OFFLINE |  
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
06-18-2009, 05:33 AM

Quote:
http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/1321251

Most interesting bits from Danny:
Well I'll be damned. Thanks for the link.

Feel free to post any others you may have =-)
Old 06-18-2009, 05:33 AM   #24
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/1321251

Most interesting bits from Danny:
Well I'll be damned. Thanks for the link.

Feel free to post any others you may have =-)
06-18-2009, 09:33 AM

This thread is a great example of what the albums section is supposed to be like.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:33 AM   #25
Gearhead

Bincount™: 3077

This thread is a great example of what the albums section is supposed to be like.
Kody27
06-18-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
dammit you ruined the moment by mentioning it!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #26
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
dammit you ruined the moment by mentioning it!
OFFLINE |  
inSin's Avatar inSin
06-18-2009, 09:19 PM

yes 10kdays compared to other tool albums it may get 3rd place... (last place imo) BUT compare it to everything else that came out in 2006.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #27
Level 7 - Loquacious

yes 10kdays compared to other tool albums it may get 3rd place... (last place imo) BUT compare it to everything else that came out in 2006.
OFFLINE |  
Hodge
06-18-2009, 09:24 PM

atleast we got Jambi out of it
that song makes the cut for a tool mixed cd every time
Old 06-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #28
Smokes poutine every day

Bincount™: 6367

atleast we got Jambi out of it
that song makes the cut for a tool mixed cd every time
OFFLINE |  
NMoB's Avatar NMoB
06-19-2009, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inSin View Post
Exactly what i was trying to say. AWesome for 2006, NOT awesome for tool.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:05 AM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by inSin View Post
Exactly what i was trying to say. AWesome for 2006, NOT awesome for tool.
06-19-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
There was a lot of great music that came out in 2006, and a decent number of albums on the same level or arguably better than 10kd.
examples?
Old 06-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
There was a lot of great music that came out in 2006, and a decent number of albums on the same level or arguably better than 10kd.
examples?
06-19-2009, 08:03 AM

people should stop comparing artists with what they`ve done before- if aenima and the other albums would not exist (I agree with you in that point: aenima is brilliant and tool at its peak- imo) it would be definitely one of the best albums the new millenium has seen so far ! btw: the pot is GREAAATTTT - but as always it is a matter of taste...peace!
Old 06-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #31
Level 7 - Loquacious

people should stop comparing artists with what they`ve done before- if aenima and the other albums would not exist (I agree with you in that point: aenima is brilliant and tool at its peak- imo) it would be definitely one of the best albums the new millenium has seen so far ! btw: the pot is GREAAATTTT - but as always it is a matter of taste...peace!
OFFLINE |  
Kody27
06-19-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Adrian Belews side three was good, the flaming lips at war with the mystics was good, Amputechture by the volta was bad fuckin ass IMO, even though in the absence of truth was good I never really liked ISIS that much, the singer ruins any good music that comes out of them, unlike meshuggah where you know what to expect with the singer because it actually fits with the music. Those are the only albums worth mentioning in 2006 besides 10,000 Days, and none of them really hold a candle to the epicness and complexity, and the sheer rock value of Days, IMO.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #32
On Probation

Quote:
Adrian Belews side three was good, the flaming lips at war with the mystics was good, Amputechture by the volta was bad fuckin ass IMO, even though in the absence of truth was good I never really liked ISIS that much, the singer ruins any good music that comes out of them, unlike meshuggah where you know what to expect with the singer because it actually fits with the music. Those are the only albums worth mentioning in 2006 besides 10,000 Days, and none of them really hold a candle to the epicness and complexity, and the sheer rock value of Days, IMO.
OFFLINE |  
Kody27
06-19-2009, 09:05 AM

not really, there are only two categories of music, good music and bad music. sorry i can't pop in a tom waits album and then enjoy some indie bands, and then rock out to folk music , 75% of the time i listen to music nowadays it's mostly indian classical or western classical. vivaldi, paganini, bach are some of my favs, on the eastern side i like ustad allah rakha, zakir hussein, of course ravi shankar, but his daughter anoushka shankar has some interesting collaborations with karsh kale called breathing underwater, frigin excellent imo. that's really just the tip of the iceburg, but you're right, i don't like much american contemporary music so i am pretty narrow...
Old 06-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #33
On Probation

not really, there are only two categories of music, good music and bad music. sorry i can't pop in a tom waits album and then enjoy some indie bands, and then rock out to folk music , 75% of the time i listen to music nowadays it's mostly indian classical or western classical. vivaldi, paganini, bach are some of my favs, on the eastern side i like ustad allah rakha, zakir hussein, of course ravi shankar, but his daughter anoushka shankar has some interesting collaborations with karsh kale called breathing underwater, frigin excellent imo. that's really just the tip of the iceburg, but you're right, i don't like much american contemporary music so i am pretty narrow...
OFFLINE |  
Kody27
06-19-2009, 10:47 AM

if your interpretation of that statement was snobbish elitism, then i must attribute that solely to your own preconceptions and filters because i wasn't intending it to be that way.

if you must take an opposite side to everything i say then at least make it relevant to the discussion, otherwise you're just wasting both of our time.

anyone can take a sentence out of context and make it look bad, but if you look at the whole of what i said i certainly don't feel as if i was trying to be snobbish.

if i must further explain myself then let me spell it out for you, there is good country music and bad country music, - now just take the word "country" and replace it with every other style of music in the world, and that is what I meant. I don't discriminate whole genres of music just because i don't know anything about them, i just go by the feeling the song gives me at the time that i hear it, what else do you want from me?
Old 06-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #34
On Probation

if your interpretation of that statement was snobbish elitism, then i must attribute that solely to your own preconceptions and filters because i wasn't intending it to be that way.

if you must take an opposite side to everything i say then at least make it relevant to the discussion, otherwise you're just wasting both of our time.

anyone can take a sentence out of context and make it look bad, but if you look at the whole of what i said i certainly don't feel as if i was trying to be snobbish.

if i must further explain myself then let me spell it out for you, there is good country music and bad country music, - now just take the word "country" and replace it with every other style of music in the world, and that is what I meant. I don't discriminate whole genres of music just because i don't know anything about them, i just go by the feeling the song gives me at the time that i hear it, what else do you want from me?
OFFLINE |  
Kody27
06-19-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
An admission that you listen to a very defined and relatively narrow spectrum of music genres compared to people who listen to anything and everything.

Thankfully you're not writing whole genres off as bad, and you understand that there is no sense in doing such.
I've had this discussion before with a friend of mine who not only listens to all kinds of music, but claims that he gets the same level of satisfaction from everything as to where I only get certain levels of satisfaction from a few things. How can he know that he is enjoying the same quality of enjoyment that I am experiencing, but at a much larger quantity? He can't know. All he is saying is that he appreciates everything in the same way, which to me just says he has a consistent easy listening attitude, as to where I have a specific individual appreciations for different things. It's not a crime either way, it's just people's attitudes. We obviously both love music, not you but my other friend, so we must enjoy similar things but he tends to stay on the surface of everything and I tend to penetrate deeper into just one thing and move on.

You want an admittance that MY interests are very defined and relatively narrow?

This is coming from the guy who shuts out an entire world of science because he beileves every douche bag on here is a good representation of the hidden aspects of it, and he can't seem to find any "useful" applications of it's knowledge in his everyday life.
Well trust me, thousands of people do apply occult philosophies and knowledge to their practical life, everyday, and it's more of a personal problem on your part that you get angry when people try to be deep and mystical. It's your one-sided scientific mind that keeps you in linear fashion thinking mode, no one expects you to change so continue on with your over analytical bull shit put downs.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #35
On Probation

Quote:
An admission that you listen to a very defined and relatively narrow spectrum of music genres compared to people who listen to anything and everything.

Thankfully you're not writing whole genres off as bad, and you understand that there is no sense in doing such.
I've had this discussion before with a friend of mine who not only listens to all kinds of music, but claims that he gets the same level of satisfaction from everything as to where I only get certain levels of satisfaction from a few things. How can he know that he is enjoying the same quality of enjoyment that I am experiencing, but at a much larger quantity? He can't know. All he is saying is that he appreciates everything in the same way, which to me just says he has a consistent easy listening attitude, as to where I have a specific individual appreciations for different things. It's not a crime either way, it's just people's attitudes. We obviously both love music, not you but my other friend, so we must enjoy similar things but he tends to stay on the surface of everything and I tend to penetrate deeper into just one thing and move on.

You want an admittance that MY interests are very defined and relatively narrow?

This is coming from the guy who shuts out an entire world of science because he beileves every douche bag on here is a good representation of the hidden aspects of it, and he can't seem to find any "useful" applications of it's knowledge in his everyday life.
Well trust me, thousands of people do apply occult philosophies and knowledge to their practical life, everyday, and it's more of a personal problem on your part that you get angry when people try to be deep and mystical. It's your one-sided scientific mind that keeps you in linear fashion thinking mode, no one expects you to change so continue on with your over analytical bull shit put downs.
OFFLINE |  
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
06-19-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Music is emotion, right?

Maybe the theory of your friend is; different kinds of music stimulate different emotions.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #36
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
Music is emotion, right?

Maybe the theory of your friend is; different kinds of music stimulate different emotions.
06-19-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
Music is emotion, right?

no shit sherlock, as I said above since you make me repeat myself, he dabbles on the surface of all emotions, as to where I dive deeper into one emotion at a time, of course the enjoyment of music comes from emotion, otherwise we'd just be robots understanding the complexity of it but not caring about it either way.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #37
On Probation

Quote:
Music is emotion, right?

no shit sherlock, as I said above since you make me repeat myself, he dabbles on the surface of all emotions, as to where I dive deeper into one emotion at a time, of course the enjoyment of music comes from emotion, otherwise we'd just be robots understanding the complexity of it but not caring about it either way.
OFFLINE |  
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
06-19-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
So, my dear Watson, in what way is it better to dive deeper in one emotion then explore all?
Old 06-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #38
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
So, my dear Watson, in what way is it better to dive deeper in one emotion then explore all?
06-19-2009, 05:27 PM

I think it's fine to listen to just one type of music if that's the only type of music which inspires you. But anyway, back to the point of the thread. I still think it's a poor album but i respect those views which counter my opinion, and i hear what you're saying i just don't neccesarily agree :)
Old 06-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #39
CCP

I think it's fine to listen to just one type of music if that's the only type of music which inspires you. But anyway, back to the point of the thread. I still think it's a poor album but i respect those views which counter my opinion, and i hear what you're saying i just don't neccesarily agree :)
OFFLINE |  
Kody27
06-19-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Well obviously no here here is listening to what I'm saying either so fuck it,

Quote:
It's not a crime either way, it's just people's attitudes. We obviously both love music, not you but my other friend, so we must enjoy similar things but he tends to stay on the surface of everything and I tend to penetrate deeper into just one thing and move on.
Nowhere did I say either was better or worse, if you are absorbed into one thing completely then you aren't missing out on anything. I think Rivek is the one who thinks his almighty all encompassing outlook on life is "better" than one who penetrates one thing at a time. But whatever.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #40
On Probation

Quote:
Well obviously no here here is listening to what I'm saying either so fuck it,

Quote:
It's not a crime either way, it's just people's attitudes. We obviously both love music, not you but my other friend, so we must enjoy similar things but he tends to stay on the surface of everything and I tend to penetrate deeper into just one thing and move on.
Nowhere did I say either was better or worse, if you are absorbed into one thing completely then you aren't missing out on anything. I think Rivek is the one who thinks his almighty all encompassing outlook on life is "better" than one who penetrates one thing at a time. But whatever.
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply