opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Upcoming and Unreleased
User Name
Password
Old 11-25-2002, 02:53 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
What exactly is the thing in the middle?

http://www.toolband.com/tour/images/band4.gif

Can someone explain to me what is the "object" in the center of the stage please?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 04:24 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

looks like a gong to me. with some angelic text or something sprawled about in neon lights.

-d
Old 11-25-2002, 05:02 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Its not a gong

Its not a gong.....its some sort of Magic symbol Danny and the other band uses to draw energy

Maynard and his funk Fuang Shway ( i butchered that spelling :( sorry)
Old 11-26-2002, 08:23 AM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

feng shui is how you spell it.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:21 PM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

occult symbols:

yeah, ive been kind of wondering that myself.......they used that particular symbol during the fall 98 tour. i couldnt really make it out, i was too far away from the stage. but i know its not a gong. they used two of these neon-like symbols for the fall 01 tour as well. i recognize MOST of the geometric imagery they use, but im not really familiar with the "occult" shit. i dont know, i guess i just dont like to read. but most of the circular symbols i can understand.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:44 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Supposedly it is a gong that the band uses to "draw energy" or concentrate. Danny said it helps him play a lot. Another note is Danny has all kind of strange designs on his Drum Heads and electronic drums that are probably there to help him play, too...
Old 11-27-2002, 09:11 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: What exactly is the thing in the middle?

Quote:
Originally posted by T00|

Can someone explain to me what is the "object" in the center of the stage please?
That thing in the middle is not a piece of percussion, it's an Enochian magic board marked with various arcane symbols, Danny has said it helps him focus energy while playing (see Modern Drummer, February 1997).

I did notice, however, that on this tour he uses it almost at the end of Lateralus as a gong...
Old 11-30-2002, 08:25 AM   #8
(-)
Level 3 - Talker

Return of the Gong

I noticed that as well. However, I think that it actually was a gong, and not an Enochian magick board. Go to the news section of www.dannycarey.org and move your mouse over the picture at the top, until it changes into a picture of Danny; notice that the thing behind him really is a gong.
Old 12-01-2002, 12:40 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

well, its a moot point but at one point i heard from some guy next to me who coulda been fried out on acid for all i know that danny hit the gong behind him at one point in a previous show...

sounds like a lie, but I just recalled it, whatever
Old 12-01-2002, 11:10 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by interpretation
well, its a moot point but at one point i heard from some guy next to me who coulda been fried out on acid for all i know that danny hit the gong behind him at one point in a previous show...
yea...he used a gong toward the end of one of the songs....and actually you can see a gong behind danny's drumset in the far left of the picture.

also, i also read about the enochian magic board in modern drummer, and ive seen a few decent pictures and have to agree that thats what that is in the picture.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:06 PM   #11
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
What bothers me is why a gong would be in the center of the stage. Some of you are saying gong, Enochian magic "board," I don't know. I think putting a gong a good few feet away from where Danny sits is pretty funny. You don't expect him to run over at lightning speed and hit it then run back to his drums and sit back down, do you? I doubt Justin or Adam hits it with whatever objects they have. MAYBE Maynard hits it. Yeah! He turns around and hits "The Gong Positioned In The Center of The Stage Even Though Gongs Belong With The Drumset."
Old 12-03-2002, 02:13 PM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

no quarter

I swear that near the end of No Quarter i can hear a gong being hit.
Old 12-04-2002, 05:29 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

First...Danny does have a gong but that thing isnt it. Its called the Sigillum DEI. Its made from instructions in "Mysteriorum Liber Secundus" by John Dee...and some other guy i think.

here is an huge diagram of it:
http://www.john-dee.org/SDA.gif

What danny has is that carved into a wood disk
Old 12-04-2002, 05:33 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

except crap...hes not talking about the thing with the drumset now that i see the picture...hes talking about the lit up thing...half you guys are talking about the thing behind the drums...and half about the thing in the middle of the stage. THe thing behind the drums IS NOT a gong...but i dont know what the center stage thingy is
Old 12-04-2002, 08:30 PM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

The thing behind the drumset IS a gong. I was listening to my new live Lateralus mp3 here, and as soon as I heard this gong at about the 8:00 point, I came here to post about it.

I got the mp3 at deadohiosky.net, on the concert where it's the only full show still up for download.

But the thing in the middle....I haven't the slightest idea.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:43 AM   #16
(-)
Level 3 - Talker

The Original Topic

I do know for a fact that the "thing in the middle" is related to ritual magic. See the October 2000 Tool newsletter here:

http://www.toolband.com/news/letter/nl10_00.html

There is a picture of it near the midpage mark.

One minor correction: the Enochian magic board is actually called the "Siggilum dei Ameth".
Old 12-17-2002, 02:55 PM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

About the whole "gong" issue, during the end of Lateralus you can hear it, live and in the studio version, listen carefully. Anyone who was at a concert during the Lateralus tour must have heard it also.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:13 PM   #18
Mr. 200,000

Bincount™: 3568
its the gong....Danny draws energy from it or something like that
Old 01-13-2003, 06:30 AM   #19
meh.

Bincount™: 1074
Re: What exactly is the thing in the middle?

Quote:
Originally posted by T00|

From the Ænima section of the toolshed.down.net FAQ (http://toolshed.down.net/faq/faq.html)
Quote:
G7. What are those arcane symbols in the vinyl artwork?

In the second to last row on the 'contact sheet', in the second frame, is a tapestry with some arcane symbols; there are also such symbols on the center labels of each record. Someone asked around, and found this out:
The seven pointed star is the symbol for the goddess Babalon, an Egyptian goddess similar to Aphrodite. She symbolizes love and sexuality (that's one of the meanings, anyway), and the symbol is familiar to practicioners of ritual magik. The pentagram in the middle, where ritual magik is concerned, represents air, water, fire, body, and spirit. Each point of the star symbolizes one of these. See also Question G20.

Whether this (in conjunction with the essay on Ritual Magik in the liner notes) represents something meaningful to the band, or just another well-fabricated fib, nobody can say.
and
Quote:
G20. On tour, Danny had this big gong set up behind him ...?

Not a piece of percussion, this Enochian magic board was marked with various arcane symbols. Danny has said it helps him focus energy while playing (see Modern Drummer, February 1997). See Question G7.
Danny does have a gong on stage, but that's not it.

--
Chris Brightwell // moderator
Old 07-08-2003, 10:23 PM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

I will have to disagree, the symbol on Danny's drumset is an Enochian Table, yes... but the symbol in the middle of the stage is not the same table.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: