opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 01. The Grudge
User Name
Password
Old 12-13-2002, 09:43 AM   #41
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
well, this is a huge stretch (I can only make it now cause i'm pretty high), but, isn't supposedly Ticks and Leeches basically targetted at over-excited fans who attempt to totally become the band. I'm not too sure about this, T&L is still a weird song that i haven't really felt much about, but the general consensus is that it's about maybe, rabid fans like me, finding out reasons for everything.

because there is a reason for EVERYTHING (not just stuff in tool).

joe - drugs are bad, mmmmkay?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 01:29 PM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

I was thinking more along the lines of it possibly signifying a second beginning of sorts for the album. I don't know how exactly, since the sentiment of the song seems pretty much the same all the way through. Like usual, I'm confused.

As for fans that look into this stuff too much, well, the fact is if you look at many of the band's influences (Jung, Crowley, Campbell, etc. etc.) these were people that in many respects made it their life's work to analyze, make sense of things, find patterns that gave humanity a deeper understanding of what exactly is going on in this fucking wild ride of an existance. Not that I'm saying that trying to wrap your mind around a tool album is comparable to the work these people did, but I think in some ways it's very much related.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:25 PM   #43
Level 4 - Thinker

ok this is my theory: i heard people say it sounds kinda like a spaceship and that it also sounds like a film projector , well im thinking that the fact that the guy in Faaip de Oaid mentions aliens(spaceship) and then the little remote(film projector) sound that suggests that the movie(album) has ended which also takes us to what someone else said about how Lateralus compares to a movie , well i dunno sounded good when i thought about it
Old 12-21-2002, 08:34 AM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

From around 0:47 to 1:01 there is a noise similar to the opening which ends just before maynard enters the track. I thought this might be relevant as in the interlude of ticks & leeches there is a similar noise which ends just before maynard begins to scream quietly. This could be used to emphasise maynards presence into the songs.

I always thought of the opening noise as that of when you put the cd into your stereo. Either that or an elevator shaft as the two loud noises could be the noise of the elevator doors shutting. Or that of the cd tray slamming shut. However i like the idea of the projector now that i think of it.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:58 PM   #45
Level 3 - Talker

That noise

It sound like some sort rotating machine, like when a computer hard drive starts up but on a much larger scale.
it gives the feeling that the rest of the album with its journey of pain, beauty, struggle, patience and awe is implied. like once the machine is switched on you just know that you're in for something BIG and it can't be stopped until it resolves itself,
And then after that sound when the drums and bass kick in,
Oh My God!
Old 12-23-2002, 12:18 PM   #46
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

when i first heard this sound it reminded me of an elevator.so i thought the band was saying when you put this cd in it kinda elevates you above the rest of the world for a little while.and to me it truly does.if that makes any sense.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:25 PM   #47
Banned.

Bincount™: 8
HEY

JESUS GOD FOLKS, WE HAVE A MESSAGE BOARD FULL OF TOOL FANS BUT DO ANY OF YOU ACTUALLY LISTEN TO THE BANDS THAT INFLUENCED TOOL? BUY PINK FLOYD'S WISH YOU WERE HERE ALBUM ALREADY. THEN WE CAN SHUT DOWN THIS QUESTION. DAMN
Old 12-29-2002, 04:32 PM   #48
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 94
i always thought it was some kind of power/energy generator...
Old 12-29-2002, 05:46 PM   #49
Level 4 - Thinker

The cd looks like a rotating wheel. If you put that in the "machine" (cd player) and you start it, it begins to work.
It may sound like a load of crap, but it would be cool if it's supposed to be that way!

It also could be a saw. Electric saws sound like that when you start them.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:05 PM   #50
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
I've always visualised it as some large machine loading up, from a button press.

I always related the machine itself to Tool... . To me it just means "here comes another mind-blowing album, just as you expected", in the same way as you expect a machine to keep producing products of a good standard.

The projector idea is convincing too, although my mum's old projectors never sounded that mechanical!
Old 01-08-2003, 09:38 PM   #51
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I always have and still do picture an elevator.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:11 AM   #52
tdn $upporter

Bincount™: 9
i swear to god i keep hearing some machine at work that makes a similar sound. my best guess though would be that its the sound of a reel-to-reel being fired up in the studio after a good nights rest. it definitely has that rotational motor sound quality. i think a film projector is too clickety-clackety because of all the sprockets in the film. but real magnetic tape for audio is smooth and thats what i envision. they probably recorded the sound of the machine they use to record to have some recursive fun with us.

Last edited by GernBlanston; 01-09-2003 at 01:21 AM..
Old 01-09-2003, 10:21 PM   #53
Level 2 - Poster

opening sound

I felt it was a sort of freight elevator starting up. Whether it goes up or down is beyond me. Up would make sense, since they're references to ascension in the song.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:52 PM   #54
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by paraflux
... If universes could possibly exist inside an amulet around a cat's neck, you don't think this sound or any other could have any significance? ...
You dont have to bring MIB into this dude :)
Old 01-10-2003, 07:13 PM   #55
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

"You dont have to bring MIB into this dude :)"

hahaha
Old 01-10-2003, 07:36 PM   #56
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I'd say it's a film projector starting up in relation to the Nightmare Before Xmas synch, but I'd get laughed off the boards again :P
Old 01-10-2003, 07:53 PM   #57
Level 2 - Poster

Well, here's a new idea. Maybe I don't get out much, but I've never heard a movie projector, so I personally think it sounds like a jukebox selecting a song. Well, that's enough outta me, by the way, Happy New Year, Tool fans!
Old 01-12-2003, 12:53 AM   #58
Drug Crazed Grindfreak

Bincount™: 5716
Re: HEY

Quote:
Originally posted by George Bush Sr.
JESUS GOD FOLKS, WE HAVE A MESSAGE BOARD FULL OF TOOL FANS BUT DO ANY OF YOU ACTUALLY LISTEN TO THE BANDS THAT INFLUENCED TOOL? BUY PINK FLOYD'S WISH YOU WERE HERE ALBUM ALREADY. THEN WE CAN SHUT DOWN THIS QUESTION. DAMN
Where abouts is the noise on this album?
Old 01-13-2003, 04:03 PM   #59
Level 1 - Lurker

The noise is definitely is very mysterious, I don't even think Sherlock Holmes could crack this one. So I think I'll try taking a stab at it. I beleive the noise comes from the game Super Metroid, where she uses here charge up beam. The noise reminds me of when the weapon is in the process of charging up to its full destructive capability, but really I don't have a fricken clue.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:00 AM   #60
Level 666 - Cenobite (tdn $supporter)

Bincount™: 20
Quote:
Originally posted by Professor Frink
I'd say it's a film projector starting up in relation to the Nightmare Before Xmas synch, but I'd get laughed off the boards again :P
not really - when this was dicussed in lenght at TOOLARMY someone mentioned that too - like i said i am still either way on whther its a coincadence but that is one point for the pro side
11.19.'96 nyc • 5.20.'01 nyc • 9.24.'01 willkes-barre, pa • 10.1.'01 nyc • 10.2.'01 nyc • 8.13.'02 nyc • 8.15.'02 east rutherford, nj • 10.31.'02 long island • 5.19.'06 nyc • 5.20.'06 nyc • 10.7.'06 long island • 8.1.'09 liberty island • 1.29'12 camden, nj • 1.31.'12 mohegan sun, ct • 2.1.'12 east rutherford, nj • 11.18.'19 philly, pa • 11.19.'19 brooklyn, ny

pull the wool over your own eyes...

[eeq]
Old 01-17-2003, 10:31 PM   #61
Lord Cronos of Vermiculum

Bincount™: 6507
To me it's some kind of machine. A machine that has some kind of meaning probably. What it signifies I don't know.

The sounds throughout The Grudge lead me to think that it's the machine again going through stages or phases. The sound comes up with a change in the machines structure or design or use. As the sound comes up again, or makes another quirky machine like sound you hear throughout the track, Maynard changes his singing style. The way that Maynard sings sounds very artificial and automated. Like a drone, a machine, a robot. The whole song has that machine sound to me.

Go to 6:28 into the song, RIGHT when the drums let down, the riffs hear sound very automated. You'll hear faint oddball machine-like sounds hear, then at 6:41 the tempo changes again. Listen closely, you hear a sound in the background, sounds like clanking or a machine humming and making noises, the sound lessens in it's course at about 6:48, changing a bit. Then at about 6:53 everything seems to just drop for a second and you hear a charge up sound or build up sound of energy RIGHT before the scream at 6:56. The scream is like a massive discharge from this machine. At least that's what I've always envisioned. If this had a music video, I definately see something discharging a powerful energy or power from it at the scream. The whole machine sound to the song and charge up feel gives me that feeling.

Then we continue onto a slower song that leads into The Patient. Then Schism, and Parabol which is a slower song that leads into a Parabola with a machinelike shock or charge switching the tempo. At the end of Parabola it softly lets out leading you into the powerful Ticks & Leeches. This song seems to be draining, ala the interlude. Which is necessary, because it isn't a constant sound, it slowly but eventually builds up to the release and massive attack from Ticks and Leeches. I don't know what that person was talking about hearing the automated sound turn out again before the interlude, but it would not at all be suprising.

Lateralus comes up and then you hear, "Swing on the spirals, to..." Which I believe is the most beautiful part of the album. Lateralus is kind of slow which is fitting because after a powerful song like Ticks and Leeches it would be hard for any machine to stay constant without blowing itself up. That's why I thought the interlude was necessary, so this fictionary machine doesn't overheat, overdo itself. Lateralus leads into the whole Disposition/Reflection/Triad combo. The last words from Maynard being "Before we pine away!" Another beautiful moment. This seamlessly leads into Triad, which has a very automated sound to me as well. Kind of like it's in it's last stage, gone through all the other stages and the only thing left is to let it restart.

The final track is a hidden track to me, and just a reminder to think for yourself. It's full of static, and is a radio transmission that's barely getting in. Someone or something obviously is trying to prevent this from getting through and is trying to cut off the signal, that's why at the end you hear that sound, I disagree that it goes with the startup of a film projecter, like it sounds like a tv turning off. It's the signal being cut off, end transmission, something interfering with the signal, something that has to do with the radio thing. Look at the last words spoken by the narrator. "They want those major population centers wiped out so that the few that are left will be more <i>easily controllable</i>." Easily controllable means un-questioning, never faltering in your ways, a so called useful idiot. You're not obviously thinking for yourself or questioning authority if you're that.

That's just me though, and the image I get is a machine, why it would be that I have no clue, but it's all right there to me. So is it suggesting that Maynard is a machine. Yes. What's his name spelled backwards? Dranyam. What significance does that have? None whatsoever.
Old 01-18-2003, 01:34 PM   #62
Level 2 - Poster

The sound at the beginning to "the grudge" is the sound of the recording studio's 24 track tape machine spooling up .....that's what it sounds like when you press play......the sound is what comes out of the studio monitors when the tape machine starts to playback a track.....nothing so exciting as alien spaceships or torture devices.....anyone who has been in the control room of a modern recording studio should recognize that sound.
Sorry to disappoint.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:10 PM   #63
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 187
i know!

I don't mean to take the fun out of this whole "what is that tricky sound" discussion but I've heard that sound so many times in video games and stuff for when elevators go up (and yes! down!) so the sound can only explain one thing.....
Tool likes videogames with elevators in it. THAT should settle this discussion
Old 01-21-2003, 07:41 PM   #64
Level 4 - Thinker

The same noise can be heard on an old episode of King of the Hill, when Hank takes Bobby to a dairy farm (forgot why), and they start up the milking machines.

Thank you.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:30 PM   #65
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4
reel-to-reel

Quote:
Originally posted by ATG
I always thought it was the sound of a reel-to-reel recorder. makes sense...sounds like David Bottril is "rolling tape" before Danny starts his track.
yea, i always thought that too.

just to weigh in on the film projector thing, film projectors are never that even, and there is a flapping kind of noise as thu shutter opens and closes and the film advances. cool, if that's what you thought it was, but i am sticking with the reel to reel.

it kinds of makes the album feel like an artifact to me. like something peopel dug up centruies from now. hence the "primitive" device (reel-to-reel). maybe...?

and of course there's the "welcome to the machine" feel to it all.

Last edited by kette; 01-21-2003 at 11:33 PM..
Old 01-22-2003, 12:39 PM   #66
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

this is quite a sticky wicket

Before I listened to it carefully I just thought it was a garage door opening. But it seems to have a very warehouse sound to it. My best guess would be a saw, but who knows exactly what it is. Maybe we will never know.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:20 PM   #67
Level 7 - Loquacious

I would say its a film projector orso, i think tool likes to do things like this. I mean, making a CD which has sounds on in that are not CD-like. Now it's a film, on ænima it was a vinyl record (useful idiot)... But i've got no proof of course... :)
Old 02-18-2003, 03:28 PM   #68
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 187
Quote:
Originally posted by david_19690106
The sound at the beginning to "the grudge" is the sound of the recording studio's 24 track tape machine spooling up .....that's what it sounds like when you press play......the sound is what comes out of the studio monitors when the tape machine starts to playback a track.....nothing so exciting as alien spaceships or torture devices.....anyone who has been in the control room of a modern recording studio should recognize that sound.
Sorry to disappoint.
I have been in a great many modern recording rooms and im telling ya: its a sound effect used in tv shows, movies, videogames, etc, all the time. In my communications class i was editing a video i made and when i was searching through a sound effects cd that noise was on it! so IM sorry to dissappoint.

Well that settles this whacky discussion then...
now lets all get drunk and play ping-pong!!
Old 02-18-2003, 05:16 PM   #69
Level 7 - Loquacious

Well, can be... But it might have been meant like I said, a projector, film or watever starting up...
If those sounds come on CD's you don't have to record it yourself. Plus you get an endless dicussion on this site about it, because everybody knows it from something where the sound has been used before... They are just being mean...

Quote:
Originally posted by Edman
Well that settles this whacky discussion then...
now lets all get drunk and play ping-pong!! [/B]
NO NO! Getting drunk would probably mean MORE pointless discussions (and that's what we all want... ;)
Old 02-19-2003, 01:05 PM   #70
Level 1 - Lurker

begining noise

I heard that that same sound is in "welcome to the machine" by "Pink Floyd", and as far as i know tool are pink floyd fans so maybe it was taken from that....
Old 02-19-2003, 03:06 PM   #71
Level 7 - Loquacious

Re: begining noise

Quote:
Originally posted by Psylocybin
I heard that that same sound is in "welcome to the machine" by "Pink Floyd", and as far as i know tool are pink floyd fans so maybe it was taken from that....
Whatever it is, 'Welcome to the machine' would deffinately be a good discription of the feeling it gives me after i hit that play-buton...
Old 03-16-2003, 12:11 PM   #72
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

alright lemme take a crack at it

i think it is a saw, i think there is a connection between the design on the cd and the intro, i mean cmon, does the disc not look like a circular saw blade?
Old 03-23-2003, 07:31 AM   #73
Level 1 - Lurker

Machines, T.L. and interpretations

After reviewing the sound in question I've drawn some rough conclusions. It sounded like a machine being turned on, True enough. Will we ever figure out the exact cause for it, I don't know. It's probably a synth or some other gadget they have at their disposal. However it is the first and last puzzle we have to think about.

Timothy Leary had a phrase 'turn on, tune in, drop out' which 'How to operate your brain' consists of. Being on Tool's suggested list, Maybe this has some relevance. The beginning may represent your mind being turned on. At the end of Faaip De Oiad it then turns off leaving you with a message(the tunes) to interpret in anyway you dictate. The C.D. logo if indeed a blade saw may symbolize the cutting away of your old way of thinking and thus leaving you with a stump. You then are left to regrow in any way you choose. Although the more knowledge you obtain then apply in various forms to your tree the happier we all will be...

Last edited by Steifel; 03-23-2003 at 08:57 AM..
Old 04-17-2003, 12:45 PM   #74
Level 4 - Thinker

ummm to me i think all of you are reading too far into this "noise" at the beginning of the album. it might turn out to just be some weird noise or sample they thought would sound cool at the beginning of the song.....then again it could be one of the "mysteries of tool" hehe...oh well
Old 04-20-2003, 06:35 PM   #75
Banned.

Bincount™: 1
There will be

A new style powerplant to be built. It will house a advanced technology in Scalar Tech. I have A very vast concept that i believe will work. This will be the Center of the Next City. The City of Caine. You will notice in the book of Revelations it says they sang the songs of Moses. Well since they are prophets and they are singer, they will need a good stage. I think that the next step is to design one. I have the vision of 12 outter stages with one center stage. Thus 13 angels standing on display and 13 crystal skulls. Since Revelations and Genesis can be folded together to reach one outcome. I feel it is only fare to do it this way. As far as the Powerplant is concerned, lets just say scientist of today cut there magnets wrong.

It's this sound at the beginning, of the powerplant starting up that they were trying to mimic. It sounds more like an elecrtic motor of great size than an elevator.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:18 PM   #76
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: What did everyone the beginning noise was?

The sound is an elevator. The grudge is about the tree of life and how depending on how you follow it you can either be led in a good path or a bad path. The elevator is used to be the same as this because an elevator can either bring you down or lift you up, depending on how you use it.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:18 AM   #77
On Probation

Bincount™: 4
Re: What did everyone the beginning noise was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSaveXmondaYx
ok this is my theory: i heard people say it sounds kinda like a spaceship and that it also sounds like a film projector , well im thinking that the fact that the guy in Faaip de Oaid mentions aliens(spaceship) and then the little remote(film projector) sound that suggests that the movie(album) has ended which also takes us to what someone else said about how Lateralus compares to a movie , well i dunno sounded good when i thought about it

The same sample is in the song Dirt Ball by Insane Clown Posse and Twiztid, it's about aliens coming to earth. It's the sound of something opening. A hydrolic powered door. (In this case it's an alien space ship/control center). It's not an elevator. They don't make that sound. In the case of Lateralus it depends on what the band wanted it to be. It would make a lot of sense that it be the opening and the last sound on Faaip De Oiad be the closing.

As for the first post, Ticks and Leeches... see the title? ...it's about people who are leeches. ......psychic vampires... people sucking your life force for status/substance. Not about some obsessive fan.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: