Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
Mozeley's Avatar Mozeley
06-02-2006, 06:22 AM

I consider this song to be one of Maynards best vocal performances on any album.

Technically speaking it's fantastic. Very hard to sing *and* I've heard some of the bootlegs from their recent concerts and he can perform it more or less pitch perfect the whole way through.

Very impressive.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:22 AM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 15
Maynards best vocal performance?

I consider this song to be one of Maynards best vocal performances on any album.

Technically speaking it's fantastic. Very hard to sing *and* I've heard some of the bootlegs from their recent concerts and he can perform it more or less pitch perfect the whole way through.

Very impressive.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
06-02-2006, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozeley

Very impressive.
Those are my thoughts as well.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:05 AM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6
Re: Maynards best vocal performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozeley

Very impressive.
Those are my thoughts as well.
06-03-2006, 01:01 PM

AWESOME in the first chorus the vocal run down on e-e-ey-e e-e-ey-e so perfect and inspired
Old 06-03-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

AWESOME in the first chorus the vocal run down on e-e-ey-e e-e-ey-e so perfect and inspired
hreems's Avatar hreems
06-04-2006, 03:15 PM

I don't know much about the technical aspects of singing, but what I do know is that Maynard's voice comes through more clearly here than on any other song. I wish he would do that more...I love this album but my one complaint so far is that his words are often drowned out by the rest of the band on the other tracks. He has a great voice, and this is the one song on 10,000 days where he is truly a "frontman".

-GKW
Old 06-04-2006, 03:15 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

I don't know much about the technical aspects of singing, but what I do know is that Maynard's voice comes through more clearly here than on any other song. I wish he would do that more...I love this album but my one complaint so far is that his words are often drowned out by the rest of the band on the other tracks. He has a great voice, and this is the one song on 10,000 days where he is truly a "frontman".

-GKW
Gnome_Chomsky's Avatar Gnome_Chomsky
06-04-2006, 03:25 PM

Check out APC then.

http://www.last.fm/user/DanRisinger
Old 06-04-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
Formerly DJR
Suicide Booth ID: 11

Bincount™: 4398

Check out APC then.

http://www.last.fm/user/DanRisinger
tragedy thrills me
06-12-2006, 04:51 PM

Oh yea. Oh yea. You gotta love it when Maynard gets pissed. Its truly one of his more Technical songs to sing.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:51 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Oh yea. Oh yea. You gotta love it when Maynard gets pissed. Its truly one of his more Technical songs to sing.
ErikTheRed
06-13-2006, 12:25 PM

Going against the flow here too. While I certainly appreciate MJK's incredible vocal talents (undeniably the best in the industry, hands down), the opening lyrics in "The Pot" are, ummm, shall we say, questionable in style. As Ive said, its very UN-Tool, which is rather disheartening. It might be lyrically technical, but its tarnished by a complete lack of Maynardness---- and a singers quality is as much style as it is ability, to the listener. To say this is his "best vocal performance" is a stretch the likes I have rarely heard..........kinda like saying Danny's greatest performance is the opening 1st minute of Wings for Marie.

???

Exactly.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:25 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

Going against the flow here too. While I certainly appreciate MJK's incredible vocal talents (undeniably the best in the industry, hands down), the opening lyrics in "The Pot" are, ummm, shall we say, questionable in style. As Ive said, its very UN-Tool, which is rather disheartening. It might be lyrically technical, but its tarnished by a complete lack of Maynardness---- and a singers quality is as much style as it is ability, to the listener. To say this is his "best vocal performance" is a stretch the likes I have rarely heard..........kinda like saying Danny's greatest performance is the opening 1st minute of Wings for Marie.

???

Exactly.
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
06-13-2006, 12:28 PM

I don't understand how one can be so close-minded to say something against that intro. Are you too "proud" to like it?
Old 06-13-2006, 12:28 PM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

I don't understand how one can be so close-minded to say something against that intro. Are you too "proud" to like it?
aleph null
06-14-2006, 08:35 AM

Ok, the intro's high and yet Maynard hits the notes well and isn't out of tune (as far as my shitty sense of pitch goes). Excellent vibrato, too! But christ, the tone's ugly for that unaccompanied first verse - really whiny, kinda nasal. Why choose to sing something so difficult and exposed if you haven't got the chops for it? It's interesting in its wrong-ness, a bit like Perry Farrel or Brian Molko's voices are - not strictly musically good, but still saying something with their tone. But I do think that Maynard can sing in a straightforward good-sounding way (when at a lower pitch), so why then *choose* to sound bad/off? Weird.

[Would we expect anything other than weird, now, really?!]
Old 06-14-2006, 08:35 AM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

Ok, the intro's high and yet Maynard hits the notes well and isn't out of tune (as far as my shitty sense of pitch goes). Excellent vibrato, too! But christ, the tone's ugly for that unaccompanied first verse - really whiny, kinda nasal. Why choose to sing something so difficult and exposed if you haven't got the chops for it? It's interesting in its wrong-ness, a bit like Perry Farrel or Brian Molko's voices are - not strictly musically good, but still saying something with their tone. But I do think that Maynard can sing in a straightforward good-sounding way (when at a lower pitch), so why then *choose* to sound bad/off? Weird.

[Would we expect anything other than weird, now, really?!]
aleph null
06-14-2006, 03:07 PM

Ok, after hearing it live tonight? Scratch what I said above! He sang it absolutely fucking gorgeously, so evidently it can be done.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:07 PM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

Ok, after hearing it live tonight? Scratch what I said above! He sang it absolutely fucking gorgeously, so evidently it can be done.
ErikTheRed
06-14-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21
This kills me. So I dont agree with your opinion, therefore Im "close-minded". The irony is, only someone close-minded could say such a thing......or simple-minded, perhaps. And could you please explain your accusation of "too proud to like it"? This is rather curious.

I didnt say Maynard doesnt sing it well, I said it isnt his "style". It does not sound Tool, and forgive me if Im "close-minded", but I dont care for it. Guess what? I dont like green beans either.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:03 PM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21
This kills me. So I dont agree with your opinion, therefore Im "close-minded". The irony is, only someone close-minded could say such a thing......or simple-minded, perhaps. And could you please explain your accusation of "too proud to like it"? This is rather curious.

I didnt say Maynard doesnt sing it well, I said it isnt his "style". It does not sound Tool, and forgive me if Im "close-minded", but I dont care for it. Guess what? I dont like green beans either.
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
06-14-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTheRed

You're close minded because Terry21
is right and green beans are right as well.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:40 PM   #12
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTheRed

You're close minded because Terry21
is right and green beans are right as well.
06-16-2006, 02:43 AM

It's wonderful.I was telling to a friend-imagine what could be having a singer like Maynard in your band!- Hats off to Adam,Justin and Danny too
Old 06-16-2006, 02:43 AM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

It's wonderful.I was telling to a friend-imagine what could be having a singer like Maynard in your band!- Hats off to Adam,Justin and Danny too
tomhet
06-17-2006, 09:11 AM

Fucking horrible song, to be technically impressive has nothing to do with beauty at all. Have you heard "Parabola" or "Pushit"? Now, those are inspiring vocals
Old 06-17-2006, 09:11 AM   #14
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Fucking horrible song, to be technically impressive has nothing to do with beauty at all. Have you heard "Parabola" or "Pushit"? Now, those are inspiring vocals
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
06-17-2006, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhet
I don't see how this song is showing off technically; that's what WE are saying. In fact, Tool are always technically impressive, aren't they? And I think The Pot is an awesome song, in a way that doesn't need that much thinking. You can just turn it on and dance to it.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:09 AM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
I don't see how this song is showing off technically; that's what WE are saying. In fact, Tool are always technically impressive, aren't they? And I think The Pot is an awesome song, in a way that doesn't need that much thinking. You can just turn it on and dance to it.
tomhet
06-17-2006, 08:09 PM

I said that because of the first poster. Ha ha, dancing, I never saw that one coming :)
Old 06-17-2006, 08:09 PM   #16
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I said that because of the first poster. Ha ha, dancing, I never saw that one coming :)
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
06-18-2006, 01:17 AM

Quote:
I always catch myself up. :P
Old 06-18-2006, 01:17 AM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
I always catch myself up. :P
kaickul
06-22-2006, 05:08 AM

he sings really well
Old 06-22-2006, 05:08 AM   #18
Level 2 - Poster

he sings really well
Loveboat Captain's Avatar Loveboat Captain
06-22-2006, 05:18 AM

It's hard to sing and scream in equally powerful measures in one song. Especially so close to one another.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:18 AM   #19
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200

It's hard to sing and scream in equally powerful measures in one song. Especially so close to one another.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
mr. nikki jensen's Avatar mr. nikki jensen
06-22-2006, 05:56 AM

The Pot's i just another example of 'nards strength. everything he's touching becomes to gold. for me its difficult to pick some of the songs which it better than the other. have to many favorites to describe
Old 06-22-2006, 05:56 AM   #20
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277

The Pot's i just another example of 'nards strength. everything he's touching becomes to gold. for me its difficult to pick some of the songs which it better than the other. have to many favorites to describe
stlcards
07-03-2006, 10:54 AM

First time I heard it I thought what the fuck? BUt then I listened to it several more times and heard it live and it has become one of my favorites. It is amazing what they are doing with music and what MJK is doing with his voice. The intor is different, yet sung very well and same live. The whole album is different and just proves that they are advancing in what they are doing (if that is possible, but nobody is perfect, right?)
Old 07-03-2006, 10:54 AM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

First time I heard it I thought what the fuck? BUt then I listened to it several more times and heard it live and it has become one of my favorites. It is amazing what they are doing with music and what MJK is doing with his voice. The intor is different, yet sung very well and same live. The whole album is different and just proves that they are advancing in what they are doing (if that is possible, but nobody is perfect, right?)
mosquitokillah's Avatar mosquitokillah
07-07-2006, 01:17 PM

definitely the best track on that album and definitely maynard's best vocal performance ever
Old 07-07-2006, 01:17 PM   #22
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

definitely the best track on that album and definitely maynard's best vocal performance ever
resonance.'s Avatar resonance.
07-07-2006, 02:22 PM

anyone else notice the likeness to Freddy Mercury?
Old 07-07-2006, 02:22 PM   #23
amateur alchemist

Bincount™: 3472

anyone else notice the likeness to Freddy Mercury?
mea_culpa's Avatar mea_culpa
07-11-2006, 05:27 PM

It's interesting to hear him doing something else. This is at a higher pitch than most of his other vocals, but Maynard's range isn't really very spectacular. He adopts a lot of different tones which is cool, and the main attraction for me is the strength in his voice when he yells, eg. "there's no love in fear." The screams are pretty good too, for those who like screaming, especially on Opiate and Jerk-Off.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:27 PM   #24
Level 3 - Talker

It's interesting to hear him doing something else. This is at a higher pitch than most of his other vocals, but Maynard's range isn't really very spectacular. He adopts a lot of different tones which is cool, and the main attraction for me is the strength in his voice when he yells, eg. "there's no love in fear." The screams are pretty good too, for those who like screaming, especially on Opiate and Jerk-Off.
champion's Avatar champion
07-12-2006, 07:33 AM

It might be one of his more difficult performances, but I can't even listen to The Pot anymore because Maynard's vocals seem so forced and obnoxious.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:33 AM   #25
Banned.

Bincount™: 360

It might be one of his more difficult performances, but I can't even listen to The Pot anymore because Maynard's vocals seem so forced and obnoxious.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply