Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
orangedarkblue's Avatar orangedarkblue
05-31-2006, 11:24 AM

to futher illutrate the above: words by St. Layne

Bury me softly in this womb
I give this part of me for you
Sand rains down and here I sit
Holding rare flowers
In a tomb...in bloom

Down in a hole and I dont know if I can be saved
See my heart I decorate it like a grave
You dont understand who they
Thought I was supposed to be
Look at me now a man
Who wont let himself be

Down in a hole and theyve put all
The stones in their place
Ive eaten the sun so my tongue
Has been burned of the taste
I have been guilty
Of kicking myself in the teeth
I will speak no more
Of my feelings beneath

Oh I want to be inside of you
Holding rare flowers (oh I want to be inside of you)
In a tomb...in bloom
Oh I want to be inside...

Down in a hole, feelin so small
Down in a hole, losin my soul
Down in a hole, outta control
Id like to fly but my
Wings have been so denied
Old 05-31-2006, 11:24 AM   #81
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 9
Re: Maynard

Holding rare flowers
In a tomb...in bloom

Down in a hole and I dont know if I can be saved
See my heart I decorate it like a grave
You dont understand who they
Thought I was supposed to be
Look at me now a man
Who wont let himself be

Down in a hole and theyve put all
The stones in their place
Ive eaten the sun so my tongue
Has been burned of the taste
I have been guilty
Of kicking myself in the teeth
I will speak no more
Of my feelings beneath

Holding rare flowers (oh I want to be inside of you)
In a tomb...in bloom
Oh I want to be inside...

Down in a hole, losin my soul
Down in a hole, outta control
Id like to fly but my
Wings have been so denied
05-31-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDeviations
Fine, we'll agree to disagree.

and fyi, Maynard wouldn't "change his mind what it's about"... so your hypotheticals need to stay in la la land.

I appreciate certain aspects of philosophy and even some of the things you've said... but your "principles" (or whatever you refer to them as) really don't translate or belong on this thread.

Tool is philosophical, but not even close to the extreme scenarios you're talking about...

so frankly and respectfully, your time would be better spent on a different thread or different area entirely.
well, after slogging my way through this lenghty debate i just have a few observations. has anyone read that little quote at the beginning of the opinions section? where maynard is saying in a perfect world people will hear the album and be inspired to to do something extraordinary, how he reads the interprets on this page and theyre all wrong, how he wont spoonfeed the meaning and rob people of thier experience?

well sitting on your pc, trying to figure out exactly what it is maynard is singing about isnt being inspired or doing anything extraordinary, is it? thats just searching for the "real" meaning so you can say i have the "real" meaning, i know for certain maynard wrote this song about windsurfing or whatever because i know tool better. well, that doesnt really hold much meaning to you does it? does being able to sit back and say rosetta stoned is about how upset maynard is with people missing his message that important? and do we really think hes going to take a jab at fans like that, that we're all missing the point and its making him frusterated? gimme a fucking break do you think he actually cares, (he just wants another wing on his winery and has a damn fine job at providing for it), and doesnt sitting around on opinion boards arguing about it exactly prove his (your) point, that people need to be spoonfed? tool puts out music that they hope people will enjoy, that we'll put on a record and Think and maybe be inspired to go fingerpaint or write a poem or take karate or whatever. THATS IT.

oh, and saying maynard wouldnt change his mind as to what its about..............well, i seem to recall that live pushit recording on salival:

we 've been looking at one of our songs in a new light.......
Old 05-31-2006, 12:16 PM   #82
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Fine, we'll agree to disagree.

and fyi, Maynard wouldn't "change his mind what it's about"... so your hypotheticals need to stay in la la land.

I appreciate certain aspects of philosophy and even some of the things you've said... but your "principles" (or whatever you refer to them as) really don't translate or belong on this thread.

Tool is philosophical, but not even close to the extreme scenarios you're talking about...

so frankly and respectfully, your time would be better spent on a different thread or different area entirely.
well, after slogging my way through this lenghty debate i just have a few observations. has anyone read that little quote at the beginning of the opinions section? where maynard is saying in a perfect world people will hear the album and be inspired to to do something extraordinary, how he reads the interprets on this page and theyre all wrong, how he wont spoonfeed the meaning and rob people of thier experience?

well sitting on your pc, trying to figure out exactly what it is maynard is singing about isnt being inspired or doing anything extraordinary, is it? thats just searching for the "real" meaning so you can say i have the "real" meaning, i know for certain maynard wrote this song about windsurfing or whatever because i know tool better. well, that doesnt really hold much meaning to you does it? does being able to sit back and say rosetta stoned is about how upset maynard is with people missing his message that important? and do we really think hes going to take a jab at fans like that, that we're all missing the point and its making him frusterated? gimme a fucking break do you think he actually cares, (he just wants another wing on his winery and has a damn fine job at providing for it), and doesnt sitting around on opinion boards arguing about it exactly prove his (your) point, that people need to be spoonfed? tool puts out music that they hope people will enjoy, that we'll put on a record and Think and maybe be inspired to go fingerpaint or write a poem or take karate or whatever. THATS IT.

oh, and saying maynard wouldnt change his mind as to what its about..............well, i seem to recall that live pushit recording on salival:

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
burning bridges's Avatar burning bridges
05-31-2006, 01:02 PM

My interpretation is the same as the original posters, although for awhile I thought it was Maynard ripping apart the people who have based a religion around TOOL.......still possibly might be.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:02 PM   #83
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 954

My interpretation is the same as the original posters, although for awhile I thought it was Maynard ripping apart the people who have based a religion around TOOL.......still possibly might be.
05-31-2006, 02:22 PM

Quote:
T.F = A. GAY

1 meaning, idiots.
Yes all tool songs have one meaning, and I know what it is because Maynard uses drugs to slip into the astral plane to steal my thoughts, and sell them to all you lesser beings. I am the chosen one, if you come to a conclusion that differs from mine then you are obviously idiots, and should shut the fuck up and bow to my superior intellect. I shit and gods are formed, I piss and apocolypse riegns. I AM THE ONE, THE CHOSEN ONE SENT TO RELIEVE YOU OF THE BURDON OF THINKING FOR YOUR SELF. you believe me don't you? Please believe what I just said.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:22 PM   #84
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
T.F = A. GAY

1 meaning, idiots.
Yes all tool songs have one meaning, and I know what it is because Maynard uses drugs to slip into the astral plane to steal my thoughts, and sell them to all you lesser beings. I am the chosen one, if you come to a conclusion that differs from mine then you are obviously idiots, and should shut the fuck up and bow to my superior intellect. I shit and gods are formed, I piss and apocolypse riegns. I AM THE ONE, THE CHOSEN ONE SENT TO RELIEVE YOU OF THE BURDON OF THINKING FOR YOUR SELF. you believe me don't you? Please believe what I just said.
Apollo's third eye
05-31-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Cypher

I'm gonna go ahead and thank you for making that post, and to say I agree.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:37 PM   #85
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 62

Quote:

I'm gonna go ahead and thank you for making that post, and to say I agree.
ThreeDeviations's Avatar ThreeDeviations
05-31-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Pushit's live version on Salival... you know what that is?

It's doing your girlfriend doggie style for the first time. Same girl, means the same... just feels a little different.

That's all. Goodbye.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:38 PM   #86
On Probation

Quote:

It's doing your girlfriend doggie style for the first time. Same girl, means the same... just feels a little different.

That's all. Goodbye.
05-31-2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dharma Bum
Yes all tool songs have one meaning. lesser beings should shut the fuck up and bow to my superior intellect. .
sounds about right...

well, ya don't have to bow, I'd settle for just listening and learning something.

but if you have the attention span of a Jack Russell Terrier, like most people on here do... then yes, bow.

I just wish most of the people on here were as smart as a Jack Russell Terrier.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:05 PM   #87
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dharma Bum
Yes all tool songs have one meaning. lesser beings should shut the fuck up and bow to my superior intellect. .
sounds about right...

well, ya don't have to bow, I'd settle for just listening and learning something.

but if you have the attention span of a Jack Russell Terrier, like most people on here do... then yes, bow.

I just wish most of the people on here were as smart as a Jack Russell Terrier.
BlanketEffect's Avatar BlanketEffect
05-31-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedarkblue
Funny that you mention that on a thread about Maynard. My new daughter's name is Maya Layne, after both of the aforementioned singers. Kudos again.

Self-affirming? Oxymoronic. We are all one mind
Old 05-31-2006, 09:03 PM   #88
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
Funny that you mention that on a thread about Maynard. My new daughter's name is Maya Layne, after both of the aforementioned singers. Kudos again.

The Merovingian's Avatar The Merovingian
06-01-2006, 02:12 AM

Quote:
"Shit the bed again." = we continue to not get it... over and over- regardless how many times he says it.
Nope, it's because he's strapped to his bed in a mental hospital.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:12 AM   #89
Level 3 - Talker

Re: Maynard's patience wearing thin

Quote:
"Shit the bed again." = we continue to not get it... over and over- regardless how many times he says it.
Nope, it's because he's strapped to his bed in a mental hospital.
Zulkis's Avatar Zulkis
06-01-2006, 07:34 AM

Quote:

That's all. Goodbye.

LOL!!

I couldn't have said it better myself...same girl...ehheh
right you are, but it still feels very nice :)

hehe

and btw i agree that mjk had only one thought (meaning) to each song he wrote,
remember that he is expresing HIMSELF, and that he is healing from HIS music, it means only ONE thing to him...

sorry for "bad english" it's not my primary language...thnx
Old 06-01-2006, 07:34 AM   #90
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:

That's all. Goodbye.

LOL!!

hehe

remember that he is expresing HIMSELF, and that he is healing from HIS music, it means only ONE thing to him...

06-01-2006, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulkis
LOL!!

hehe

you're a smart guy..

Apparently we need more Croatian TDN members.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:43 AM   #91
On Probation

Quote:
LOL!!

hehe

you're a smart guy..

Apparently we need more Croatian TDN members.
06-01-2006, 07:56 AM

Quote:
LOL!!

hehe

Hvala. Drago mi je. Kako se zovesx?

...Bog vidimo se, prijatelj

there's some bad Croatian that I stole online....

No need to apologize for your English... It looks good. It appears to be better than the majority of the people who live in the United States.

Typical..

Last edited by ThreeDeviations; 06-01-2006 at 08:11 AM..
Old 06-01-2006, 07:56 AM   #92
On Probation

Quote:
LOL!!

hehe

there's some bad Croatian that I stole online....

No need to apologize for your English... It looks good. It appears to be better than the majority of the people who live in the United States.

Typical..

Last edited by ThreeDeviations; 06-01-2006 at 08:11 AM..
Zulkis's Avatar Zulkis
06-01-2006, 08:21 AM

Quote:

hehehe

nice!

I had good teachers hehehe...

You would be amazed how many people (US) try to put you down because of your (lack off)knowlegde in english...so i must defend myself :))

I presume that tool and people like you are quite a light in the dark...america blinds your eyes everywhere you look, it's all happening here too...
Old 06-01-2006, 08:21 AM   #93
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:

hehehe

nice!

I had good teachers hehehe...

You would be amazed how many people (US) try to put you down because of your (lack off)knowlegde in english...so i must defend myself :))

I presume that tool and people like you are quite a light in the dark...america blinds your eyes everywhere you look, it's all happening here too...
Towelie's Avatar Towelie
06-01-2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:

Typical..
Old 06-01-2006, 10:49 AM   #94
Banned.

Bincount™: 7

Quote:

Typical..
locoloon's Avatar locoloon
06-01-2006, 11:15 AM

Tom Cruise and his "somniferious almond eyes" leader, "Dont even know what that means". My interpretation of this song seems to be about E.T. talking to Tommy or Ron L. and telling them about being quiet in the birthroom or on a rock.

Last edited by locoloon; 06-01-2006 at 11:19 AM..
Old 06-01-2006, 11:15 AM   #95
Level 3 - Talker

Tom Cruise and his "somniferious almond eyes" leader, "Dont even know what that means". My interpretation of this song seems to be about E.T. talking to Tommy or Ron L. and telling them about being quiet in the birthroom or on a rock.

Last edited by locoloon; 06-01-2006 at 11:19 AM..
Towelie's Avatar Towelie
06-01-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locoloon
Yeah, that's a possible conclusion. People are saying the song is partly about Blair from toolband.com. And, I can see it. If I can get back those periods of my life where I actually took the time to read what he has to say, I would. I seem to remember Blair even stating on the news section that only Maynard knows what this song is about. He said the rest of the band doesn't know (I bet they do). He added that he doesn't wear Birkenstocks. So, it sounds like he did wonder if he was being made fun of.

I would not be surprised if it takes a dig out of him and others who torture the rest of us with nonsense thanks to Dr. Hoffman. The song is hilarious either way. The music is awesome.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:30 AM   #96
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locoloon
Yeah, that's a possible conclusion. People are saying the song is partly about Blair from toolband.com. And, I can see it. If I can get back those periods of my life where I actually took the time to read what he has to say, I would. I seem to remember Blair even stating on the news section that only Maynard knows what this song is about. He said the rest of the band doesn't know (I bet they do). He added that he doesn't wear Birkenstocks. So, it sounds like he did wonder if he was being made fun of.

I would not be surprised if it takes a dig out of him and others who torture the rest of us with nonsense thanks to Dr. Hoffman. The song is hilarious either way. The music is awesome.
06-01-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketEffect
Hey, kudos to you too, and your mate, on the production of new life!

The world is full of faces and snowflakes, but there is only one that looks like her.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:45 PM   #97
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Hey, kudos to you too, and your mate, on the production of new life!

The world is full of faces and snowflakes, but there is only one that looks like her.
06-01-2006, 02:19 PM

Listen to The Grudge at 7:36 to 7:58.

Listen to Rosetta Stoned at 7:42 to roughly 8:37...

same snapping sound... slightly faster in Rosetta, but same sound.

both leading up to the message and climax of each song..

The Grudge, to "Let go."

Rosetta Stoned,
"Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One
Born to bear and read you all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see."
Old 06-01-2006, 02:19 PM   #98
On Probation

Listen to The Grudge at 7:36 to 7:58.

Listen to Rosetta Stoned at 7:42 to roughly 8:37...

same snapping sound... slightly faster in Rosetta, but same sound.

both leading up to the message and climax of each song..

The Grudge, to "Let go."

Rosetta Stoned,
To write it down for all the world to see."
BlanketEffect's Avatar BlanketEffect
06-01-2006, 07:52 PM

I kinda had an idea about something, not the meaning of the song, but maybe the title...

Could it be that since the Rosetta Stone was a teaching tool that taught us to translate ancient symbols... could it be that he's saying he was stoned, as in, when people pelt you to death with rocks... he was stoned by "Rosetta Stones" meaning he was bludgeoned with invaluable teaching tools to the point of breaking. - and that the 'stoned' term has nothing to do with the acid, or drugs of any sort.. it's just a convenient double-meaning.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:52 PM   #99
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

I kinda had an idea about something, not the meaning of the song, but maybe the title...

Could it be that since the Rosetta Stone was a teaching tool that taught us to translate ancient symbols... could it be that he's saying he was stoned, as in, when people pelt you to death with rocks... he was stoned by "Rosetta Stones" meaning he was bludgeoned with invaluable teaching tools to the point of breaking. - and that the 'stoned' term has nothing to do with the acid, or drugs of any sort.. it's just a convenient double-meaning.

06-02-2006, 12:45 AM

Quote:

Hey, kudos again. Yesterday I sent a mail with titel 'Rosetta steniging' (Dutch for stoned, your way) to a friend, in which I argue the exact same thing - total revelation overload. As in:

Acts 7: 57-60 (hey, matt. 4:6!!) - The council members shouted and covered their ears. At once they all attacked Stephen and dragged him out of the city. Then they started throwing stones at him... As Stephen was being stoned to death, he called out... “Lord, don't blame them for what they have done.” Then he died.

now if these council members are E.T.'s, one can imagine they might at some point get sick and tired of LSD tourists blundering into their realm.

"Everyone gets everything he wants, I wanted a mission, and for my sins they gave me one..."

Last edited by orangedarkblue; 06-02-2006 at 01:49 AM..
Old 06-02-2006, 12:45 AM   #100
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

Hey, kudos again. Yesterday I sent a mail with titel 'Rosetta steniging' (Dutch for stoned, your way) to a friend, in which I argue the exact same thing - total revelation overload. As in:

Acts 7: 57-60 (hey, matt. 4:6!!) - The council members shouted and covered their ears. At once they all attacked Stephen and dragged him out of the city. Then they started throwing stones at him... As Stephen was being stoned to death, he called out... “Lord, don't blame them for what they have done.” Then he died.

now if these council members are E.T.'s, one can imagine they might at some point get sick and tired of LSD tourists blundering into their realm.

"Everyone gets everything he wants, I wanted a mission, and for my sins they gave me one..."

Last edited by orangedarkblue; 06-02-2006 at 01:49 AM..
Staticfactory's Avatar Staticfactory
06-02-2006, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Song is about how Maynard perceives everyone... fans and society in general.. and he's losing patience.

Uses the alien abduction thing.. as a clever way of saying he's the "chosen one" to deliver messages to people...

He's saying... nothing changes in people regardless of what I say.. and it never will. It's a burden trying to help people see or understand... yet I still do it... and nothing ever changes. "Born to bear"... he feels some obligation...

Born to bear and read to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see." That's Maynard speaking to you. The real point to the song.

"But I forgot my pen" Maynard saying that's our pathetic reply/mentality to what he's offered.. (nothing soaks in with people... rolls off their back)

then Maynard says "Typical...." rather sarcastically.

and we don't know... and won't know...
he's conceding to self that he'll never make a siginificant impact because people just don't get it.
I would have to disagree with this idea, although it was well delivered.

The reason: Maynard has said on many occasions that he's simply writing what the music makes him feel. These aren't HIS songs or HIS messages to communicate to anyone... he's simply bleeding out some words that the music makes him feel.

I really can't see how that could equate to him thinking that he has some sort of divine knowledge. He's not naive. He's against the same shit any person with common sense is against and he's got his own belief systems. It would be rather bold of him to figure himself for a prophet, and I think he would probably scoff at the suggestion.

We all wonder why, as brothers and sisters (mankind), we kill each other and fight and wander through this 'holy gift' with such negativity and distain. Just because Maynard is writing lyrics around this idea, and presenting his thoughts on the ideal, doesn't make him 'the chosen one'. It simply makes him another artist with a point of view.

I think we should all forget about trying to derive meaning from the words and start feeling it through the music.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:43 AM   #101
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Quote:
Song is about how Maynard perceives everyone... fans and society in general.. and he's losing patience.

Uses the alien abduction thing.. as a clever way of saying he's the "chosen one" to deliver messages to people...

He's saying... nothing changes in people regardless of what I say.. and it never will. It's a burden trying to help people see or understand... yet I still do it... and nothing ever changes. "Born to bear"... he feels some obligation...

Born to bear and read to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see." That's Maynard speaking to you. The real point to the song.

"But I forgot my pen" Maynard saying that's our pathetic reply/mentality to what he's offered.. (nothing soaks in with people... rolls off their back)

then Maynard says "Typical...." rather sarcastically.

and we don't know... and won't know...
he's conceding to self that he'll never make a siginificant impact because people just don't get it.
I would have to disagree with this idea, although it was well delivered.

The reason: Maynard has said on many occasions that he's simply writing what the music makes him feel. These aren't HIS songs or HIS messages to communicate to anyone... he's simply bleeding out some words that the music makes him feel.

I really can't see how that could equate to him thinking that he has some sort of divine knowledge. He's not naive. He's against the same shit any person with common sense is against and he's got his own belief systems. It would be rather bold of him to figure himself for a prophet, and I think he would probably scoff at the suggestion.

We all wonder why, as brothers and sisters (mankind), we kill each other and fight and wander through this 'holy gift' with such negativity and distain. Just because Maynard is writing lyrics around this idea, and presenting his thoughts on the ideal, doesn't make him 'the chosen one'. It simply makes him another artist with a point of view.

I think we should all forget about trying to derive meaning from the words and start feeling it through the music.
06-02-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
he was stoned by "Rosetta Stones" meaning he was bludgeoned with invaluable teaching tools to the point of breaking. - and that the 'stoned' term has nothing to do with the acid, or drugs of any sort.. it's just a convenient double-meaning.
That's a great interpretation. And, I enjoyed orangedarkblue's addition as well. My opinion is that the song is heavily satirical. And, it's meant for those of us who have been "victims" of somebody else's insanity. Don't get me wrong, I would have compassion for somebody "stoning" me because of their *oblivious* need to do so. But, jesus tittie fucking christ, life is hard enough without having to discern somebody else's mental disease in order to get through to Truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staticfactory
Although I agree with you, it's all good. Art is a gift. Whatever people want to do is fine with me. Personally, I like to sit back and enjoy it. You sound like somebody I could hang with.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:10 AM   #102
Banned.

Quote:
he was stoned by "Rosetta Stones" meaning he was bludgeoned with invaluable teaching tools to the point of breaking. - and that the 'stoned' term has nothing to do with the acid, or drugs of any sort.. it's just a convenient double-meaning.
That's a great interpretation. And, I enjoyed orangedarkblue's addition as well. My opinion is that the song is heavily satirical. And, it's meant for those of us who have been "victims" of somebody else's insanity. Don't get me wrong, I would have compassion for somebody "stoning" me because of their *oblivious* need to do so. But, jesus tittie fucking christ, life is hard enough without having to discern somebody else's mental disease in order to get through to Truth.

Quote:
Although I agree with you, it's all good. Art is a gift. Whatever people want to do is fine with me. Personally, I like to sit back and enjoy it. You sound like somebody I could hang with.
06-02-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I guess you're right in a way, everyone is entitled to throw in their own 2 cents. But certain places in the clear water will show larger concentrations of dimes, and that amounts to something, I guess.

Everyone feels the words differently, that is true, but wouldn't complying to your vision mean he end of these opinion fora at large?
Old 06-02-2006, 10:10 AM   #103
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
I guess you're right in a way, everyone is entitled to throw in their own 2 cents. But certain places in the clear water will show larger concentrations of dimes, and that amounts to something, I guess.

Everyone feels the words differently, that is true, but wouldn't complying to your vision mean he end of these opinion fora at large?
06-02-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towelie
Nice. :) I would say - the larger the Truth, the larger the possible case of mental disturbance. Take Shabbetai Tzvi for instance. This guy stirred up big hopes in the Jewish community in diaspora of finally returning to Zion, at around 1700 a.d. Shabbetai went to Israël in 1662 and was declared by many to be the Messiah, based upon his teachings.
The man created a sensation throughout the Jewish world, that, ever since Jesus of Nazareth, was not very inclined to believe in Messiahs. He must have been pretty convincing, I think.
In 1662 Tsvi visited the Sultan of Turkey, and tried to convince the monarch to grant a Jewish state to him, the Messiah. Sadly, the Sultan wasn't in and gave him the choice of conversion to Islam or death. Following this Shabbetai went into a deep depression and converted to Islam in 1666. Almost no Jew today knows his name or this story. Covered in a blanket of shame. We say today he probably was bipolar. Now compare his failure to launch to other guys who did pull it off. Think of temporal lobe epilepsy. Truely truely I say unto thee, they were probably all crazy.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:33 AM   #104
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towelie
Nice. :) I would say - the larger the Truth, the larger the possible case of mental disturbance. Take Shabbetai Tzvi for instance. This guy stirred up big hopes in the Jewish community in diaspora of finally returning to Zion, at around 1700 a.d. Shabbetai went to Israël in 1662 and was declared by many to be the Messiah, based upon his teachings.
The man created a sensation throughout the Jewish world, that, ever since Jesus of Nazareth, was not very inclined to believe in Messiahs. He must have been pretty convincing, I think.
In 1662 Tsvi visited the Sultan of Turkey, and tried to convince the monarch to grant a Jewish state to him, the Messiah. Sadly, the Sultan wasn't in and gave him the choice of conversion to Islam or death. Following this Shabbetai went into a deep depression and converted to Islam in 1666. Almost no Jew today knows his name or this story. Covered in a blanket of shame. We say today he probably was bipolar. Now compare his failure to launch to other guys who did pull it off. Think of temporal lobe epilepsy. Truely truely I say unto thee, they were probably all crazy.
06-02-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
pivotal digit- " I think both are right. All is right , and who cares what Maynard means ? It's about what "You" think"

Fuck that. There's an intended meaning to the song. If you want to "personalize" the meaning to justify whatever issues you have... fine, go ahead.

That's not what I do. I try to determine what he actually intended when he sat down and wrote the song.
How's that workin' out for ya? It might be easier if you had some type of direct telepathic link to Maynard's brain.

Of course there is one "true" meaning of the song, but most likely, only four people know what it is and we will never know so what's the point of speculating anyways?

Art does not come with an instruction manual.

If Tool wanted us to know what this song was about, why it was written and who it's about, they would have told us. They didn't, so we must fend for ourselves and derive our own meaning.

This is the very nature of art. Sure, some things are more obvious than others and it's easier to get a sense of what the artists intentions were, but this is hardly the case with Tool's music.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:46 AM   #105
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
pivotal digit- " I think both are right. All is right , and who cares what Maynard means ? It's about what "You" think"

Fuck that. There's an intended meaning to the song. If you want to "personalize" the meaning to justify whatever issues you have... fine, go ahead.

That's not what I do. I try to determine what he actually intended when he sat down and wrote the song.
How's that workin' out for ya? It might be easier if you had some type of direct telepathic link to Maynard's brain.

Of course there is one "true" meaning of the song, but most likely, only four people know what it is and we will never know so what's the point of speculating anyways?

Art does not come with an instruction manual.

If Tool wanted us to know what this song was about, why it was written and who it's about, they would have told us. They didn't, so we must fend for ourselves and derive our own meaning.

This is the very nature of art. Sure, some things are more obvious than others and it's easier to get a sense of what the artists intentions were, but this is hardly the case with Tool's music.
Staticfactory's Avatar Staticfactory
06-02-2006, 11:18 AM

Quote:

I'm not quite sure what you're asking in that last sentense. Clarify?

When I say "Feel it through the music", I don't mean to exclude the lyrics - they are just as big a part as any other element, but to focus on them completely is to miss the forest for the trees.

-1 to me for being so cliche.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:18 AM   #106
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Quote:

I'm not quite sure what you're asking in that last sentense. Clarify?

When I say "Feel it through the music", I don't mean to exclude the lyrics - they are just as big a part as any other element, but to focus on them completely is to miss the forest for the trees.

-1 to me for being so cliche.
06-02-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Truely truely I say unto thee, they were probably all crazy.
I agree. For me, truth comes from within first. Thank you for posting that history. I will follow it up when I have time because it sounds interesting. It's really nice of you to share your thoughts on here.

Quote:
Staticfactory: I'm sure he can clarify it for himself but, I will venture to say that he's talking about the "It" who started this thread. And, if so, he's right. Unfortunately or not, every one is allowed to be an idiot and make mistakes. It's how we learn. Hell, that's why I was born. :)

+1000 for you on the importance of perspective.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:57 AM   #107
Banned.

Quote:
Truely truely I say unto thee, they were probably all crazy.
I agree. For me, truth comes from within first. Thank you for posting that history. I will follow it up when I have time because it sounds interesting. It's really nice of you to share your thoughts on here.

Quote:
Staticfactory: I'm sure he can clarify it for himself but, I will venture to say that he's talking about the "It" who started this thread. And, if so, he's right. Unfortunately or not, every one is allowed to be an idiot and make mistakes. It's how we learn. Hell, that's why I was born. :)

+1000 for you on the importance of perspective.
06-02-2006, 02:57 PM

Towel Boy: Maybe I shoud be condescending and then just put a smilie face at the end of the thought because then I'm not a jerk or hypocrite.
Why you were born and maybe why you were released with a broken hip. :)

or maybe it wasn't a mistake.

(being released early that is) :)

Satisfactory, I believe Lateralus was written that way... with the music first, and the lyrics second- with him writing about what he felt from the music. Even so, you still have to take that explanation with a grain of salt. I am not sure if 10,000 Days was done the same way.

He has his own "belief systems" as you say... he's also said, or endorses.. "believe in nothing"... which also has to be taken with a grain of salt.

and I did draw my conclusion through "feeling the music."

you don't draw conclusions to a song's meaning based off words alone.

Overwhelmed as ONE (him) may be
placed in my position (figurehead of Tool)
such a heavy burden now to be the One...
Born to bear (feels some sort of obligation/destiny) and read to all the details of our ending.... to write it down (lyrically) for all the world to see.

But I forgot my pen.... ( his sarcasm and explanation to why people don't change or remember )

Shit the bed again... ( people screw up over and over... and it's the same mistake(s).. we don't learn.. we just keep repeating them)

"Typical.." more sarcasm and frustration.

It's human nature that disgusts him. Habits, mentality, hobbies..

He's not saying he's literally divine, or some "prophet"... he does write about practical, common sense shit...
but he knows people perceive him as larger than life - as if he is a god. - you're right, he's not naive.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #108
On Probation

Towel Boy: Maybe I shoud be condescending and then just put a smilie face at the end of the thought because then I'm not a jerk or hypocrite.
Why you were born and maybe why you were released with a broken hip. :)

or maybe it wasn't a mistake.

(being released early that is) :)

Satisfactory, I believe Lateralus was written that way... with the music first, and the lyrics second- with him writing about what he felt from the music. Even so, you still have to take that explanation with a grain of salt. I am not sure if 10,000 Days was done the same way.

He has his own "belief systems" as you say... he's also said, or endorses.. "believe in nothing"... which also has to be taken with a grain of salt.

and I did draw my conclusion through "feeling the music."

you don't draw conclusions to a song's meaning based off words alone.

Overwhelmed as ONE (him) may be
placed in my position (figurehead of Tool)
such a heavy burden now to be the One...
Born to bear (feels some sort of obligation/destiny) and read to all the details of our ending.... to write it down (lyrically) for all the world to see.

But I forgot my pen.... ( his sarcasm and explanation to why people don't change or remember )

Shit the bed again... ( people screw up over and over... and it's the same mistake(s).. we don't learn.. we just keep repeating them)

"Typical.." more sarcasm and frustration.

It's human nature that disgusts him. Habits, mentality, hobbies..

He's not saying he's literally divine, or some "prophet"... he does write about practical, common sense shit...
but he knows people perceive him as larger than life - as if he is a god. - you're right, he's not naive.
the darknight
06-02-2006, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrip
then again... he's probably just found an intricate new metaphor for anal sex.
Hahahaha

amen
Old 06-02-2006, 06:57 PM   #109

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrip
then again... he's probably just found an intricate new metaphor for anal sex.
Hahahaha

amen
Hindu
06-02-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Rosetta Stoned, Blame "Dr." Hoffman... it doesn't mean the actual meaning of the song is about drugs or LSD.

Stinkfist is not about sexual fisting.. but it's written through that metaphor.
4 degrees isn't about anal sex... but it's written through that perspective.
Prison Sex isn't about having sex in prison.

The song is written to shed some light on a few different things... area 51, alien abduction, its ramifications on people afterward.. side effects.. how others perceive people who say they've been abducted... etc.

Obviously there are drug references too... so when you say "I don't believe the message is that psychedelics are entirely a bad thing, just that dependance on them and them alone for enlightenment is futile" that sounds about right.

Just like the alien abduction though, it's NOT what the real meaning is about.

The climax of the song is when he sings..

To write it down for all the world to see"

It's no coincidence those are the words that are being sung during the climax.
All the other lyrics and references are entirely secondary to this part...
you can hear and feel it when you listen to the song..

This song's climax and actual message are very similar to Stinkfist... "something kinda sad about the way that things have come to be, desensitized to everything... what became of subtlety."

Both messages are clear and to the point.. no tricky wording.. no metaphors.. no bullshit.

Don't think the man is "egotistical enough?"

"I must crucify the ego..."
"silly monkeys"
"fuck you buddy, send more money."
"I should play GOD"
"feeding my narcissism"

The man has plenty of ego... and justifiably so. It's not farfetched at all to assume he's writing as if he's the "chosen one."

His ego, frustration and callused nature only strengthens when people continue to entirely miss the point in terms of what he's explaining or saying to people.

i agree with this post... !! the climax is so overwhelming and different from the rest of the song... it stands alone and means what it says
Old 06-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #110
On Probation

Quote:
Rosetta Stoned, Blame "Dr." Hoffman... it doesn't mean the actual meaning of the song is about drugs or LSD.

Stinkfist is not about sexual fisting.. but it's written through that metaphor.
4 degrees isn't about anal sex... but it's written through that perspective.
Prison Sex isn't about having sex in prison.

The song is written to shed some light on a few different things... area 51, alien abduction, its ramifications on people afterward.. side effects.. how others perceive people who say they've been abducted... etc.

Obviously there are drug references too... so when you say "I don't believe the message is that psychedelics are entirely a bad thing, just that dependance on them and them alone for enlightenment is futile" that sounds about right.

Just like the alien abduction though, it's NOT what the real meaning is about.

The climax of the song is when he sings..

To write it down for all the world to see"

It's no coincidence those are the words that are being sung during the climax.
All the other lyrics and references are entirely secondary to this part...
you can hear and feel it when you listen to the song..

This song's climax and actual message are very similar to Stinkfist... "something kinda sad about the way that things have come to be, desensitized to everything... what became of subtlety."

Both messages are clear and to the point.. no tricky wording.. no metaphors.. no bullshit.

Don't think the man is "egotistical enough?"

"I must crucify the ego..."
"silly monkeys"
"fuck you buddy, send more money."
"I should play GOD"
"feeding my narcissism"

The man has plenty of ego... and justifiably so. It's not farfetched at all to assume he's writing as if he's the "chosen one."

His ego, frustration and callused nature only strengthens when people continue to entirely miss the point in terms of what he's explaining or saying to people.

i agree with this post... !! the climax is so overwhelming and different from the rest of the song... it stands alone and means what it says
cloudnebula
06-02-2006, 07:44 PM

I think dr.hoffman as a reference is really a screen for us all to believe that the alien abduction trip is acid induced, when in fact the hypithetical experience described could possibly be a reference to a single DMT experience in a clinical (controlled) setting. (REFERENCE; DMT the spirit molecule- a doctor's revolutionary research into the biology of Near-Death and Mythilogical Experiences, Rick Stassman, M.D.)

ps- I am so glad that this forum exists.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:44 PM   #111
Level 3 - Talker

I think dr.hoffman as a reference is really a screen for us all to believe that the alien abduction trip is acid induced, when in fact the hypithetical experience described could possibly be a reference to a single DMT experience in a clinical (controlled) setting. (REFERENCE; DMT the spirit molecule- a doctor's revolutionary research into the biology of Near-Death and Mythilogical Experiences, Rick Stassman, M.D.)

ps- I am so glad that this forum exists.
tbrent21's Avatar tbrent21
06-02-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.stacks

This is the very nature of art.

Good point; moreover, taking an idea and then making it more vague and harder to pin down is also the nature of art as good business. They don't want to date the material so that it won't sell in the future, particularly when they are delivering messages with seemingly political overtones. (Not so much this song, but certainly The Pot and Right in Two from this album.)
Old 06-02-2006, 08:10 PM   #112
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.stacks

This is the very nature of art.

Good point; moreover, taking an idea and then making it more vague and harder to pin down is also the nature of art as good business. They don't want to date the material so that it won't sell in the future, particularly when they are delivering messages with seemingly political overtones. (Not so much this song, but certainly The Pot and Right in Two from this album.)
06-02-2006, 10:50 PM

You know it'd be great if years from now we learned the song was either straight foward or had no meaing just like the case typically is with highly debated pieces or art. The beatles' lyrics never what people though, Robert Frost's The Path not taken (Probably got the title wrong.) ended up having no real meaning other than it was what it was. *shrug* just speculating, I don't think this thread serves anymore purpose because nobody is going to change their mind about wether or not we should take the song for its personal meaning or wether we should try to find some impossible way to figure out what Maynard himself meant.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:50 PM   #113
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 62

You know it'd be great if years from now we learned the song was either straight foward or had no meaing just like the case typically is with highly debated pieces or art. The beatles' lyrics never what people though, Robert Frost's The Path not taken (Probably got the title wrong.) ended up having no real meaning other than it was what it was. *shrug* just speculating, I don't think this thread serves anymore purpose because nobody is going to change their mind about wether or not we should take the song for its personal meaning or wether we should try to find some impossible way to figure out what Maynard himself meant.
06-03-2006, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindu

.... exactly ....
Old 06-03-2006, 02:08 AM   #114
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindu

.... exactly ....
koobcam
06-03-2006, 02:18 AM

Quote:

That's all. Goodbye.

Yes, Doggy is amazing. It's better when you aren't moving that much and she is fucking herself on your dick though. That would be the ultimate song... same girl, totally different feeling and meaning.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:18 AM   #115
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 55

Quote:

That's all. Goodbye.

Yes, Doggy is amazing. It's better when you aren't moving that much and she is fucking herself on your dick though. That would be the ultimate song... same girl, totally different feeling and meaning.
PhiRatio's Avatar PhiRatio
06-08-2006, 10:02 AM

I miss Kang
Old 06-08-2006, 10:02 AM   #116
On Probation

I miss Kang
bellamadia's Avatar bellamadia
06-08-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Maynard is going to sit down and write a song about some kid's less than perfect LSD trip?! Right....

This isn't a dig at you at all, but at the 10,000 days listening party at CosM Alex told us what Adam and Maynard told him this song was about. It is about their friend that tripped out and these were the things he was saying while he was tripping. Someone wrote a lot of it down. When their friend awoke he didn't remember saying any of these things. But he did literally shit in his "bed" (sleeping bag).

BUT you should take what you want out of it, that's what this shit is all about.

Last edited by bellamadia; 06-08-2006 at 11:08 AM..
Old 06-08-2006, 11:03 AM   #117
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Maynard is going to sit down and write a song about some kid's less than perfect LSD trip?! Right....

This isn't a dig at you at all, but at the 10,000 days listening party at CosM Alex told us what Adam and Maynard told him this song was about. It is about their friend that tripped out and these were the things he was saying while he was tripping. Someone wrote a lot of it down. When their friend awoke he didn't remember saying any of these things. But he did literally shit in his "bed" (sleeping bag).

BUT you should take what you want out of it, that's what this shit is all about.

Last edited by bellamadia; 06-08-2006 at 11:08 AM..
champion's Avatar champion
06-08-2006, 11:24 AM

I definitely see this song as Maynard's personal outlook on his position and his audience. Basically, he's heralded as some kind of savior, even though people always seem to confuse or misinterpret what he says, or not listen to him at all.

Rosetta Stoned refers to the fact that people take information and make it their own, and frequently become misguided; therefore, we all speak in some coded language to each other. Kind of like that scene in Waking Life that refers to people in communication. One of us says "love" and both people seem to know what the other person means, when they really don't.

This song is about the failure of human communication. It's like we're on drugs or something. We fail to interpret meaning.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #118
Banned.

Bincount™: 360

I definitely see this song as Maynard's personal outlook on his position and his audience. Basically, he's heralded as some kind of savior, even though people always seem to confuse or misinterpret what he says, or not listen to him at all.

Rosetta Stoned refers to the fact that people take information and make it their own, and frequently become misguided; therefore, we all speak in some coded language to each other. Kind of like that scene in Waking Life that refers to people in communication. One of us says "love" and both people seem to know what the other person means, when they really don't.

This song is about the failure of human communication. It's like we're on drugs or something. We fail to interpret meaning.
06-08-2006, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion

Agreed....

bellamadia- What you say might be true. There probably are real quotes from what the guy said. If you read the thread from the beginning, you'd see that I don't totally discount the drug aspect. Obviously there are many references. BUT THAT'S NOT what the song MEANS. It MIGHT BE ABOUT a bad trip and alien abduction for most the song. But that's not what the song MEANS.

The climax, as someone said earlier.... "stands alone" in the song.

Champion said it well in the previous post, too.

But take what you want out of it... that's what this shit is all about.

Last edited by ThreeDeviations; 06-08-2006 at 11:39 AM..
Old 06-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #119
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion

Agreed....

bellamadia- What you say might be true. There probably are real quotes from what the guy said. If you read the thread from the beginning, you'd see that I don't totally discount the drug aspect. Obviously there are many references. BUT THAT'S NOT what the song MEANS. It MIGHT BE ABOUT a bad trip and alien abduction for most the song. But that's not what the song MEANS.

The climax, as someone said earlier.... "stands alone" in the song.

Champion said it well in the previous post, too.

But take what you want out of it... that's what this shit is all about.

Last edited by ThreeDeviations; 06-08-2006 at 11:39 AM..
bellamadia's Avatar bellamadia
06-08-2006, 11:37 AM

Quote:
bellamadia- What you say might be true. There probably are real quotes from what the guy said. If you read the thread from the beginning, you'd see that I don't totally discount the drug aspect. Obviously there are many references. BUT THAT'S NOT what the song is about. Just like it's NOT ABOUT ALIEN ABDUCTION... even though he talks about that too.
Gottcha on the first part... but to be fair on your last sentence, none of us have the right to say definitively what it is or isn't about with conviction.... myself, you or anyone else.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:37 AM   #120
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
bellamadia- What you say might be true. There probably are real quotes from what the guy said. If you read the thread from the beginning, you'd see that I don't totally discount the drug aspect. Obviously there are many references. BUT THAT'S NOT what the song is about. Just like it's NOT ABOUT ALIEN ABDUCTION... even though he talks about that too.
Gottcha on the first part... but to be fair on your last sentence, none of us have the right to say definitively what it is or isn't about with conviction.... myself, you or anyone else.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply