View Single Post
Dylanja
01-19-2012, 01:36 PM

Tucson, AZ 1/17/12

My brother and I got there just in time for this one, we literally got to our seats just as the opening licks of "Hooker With a Penis" started. My seat was in the third row directly between Danny's two bass drums, absolutely perfect.

Taking everything in, I'm still having trouble registering that they're actually playing "Hooker ith a Penis." I look over at my brother and he's already got his eyes closed rocking out, and realize that we're in for a quite show. The song itself sounded great, it always surprises me how clean they sound live.

Not really much to say about "Jambi." It was bad ass, and Adam nailed his talk box solo.

"Ions" starts up, and my usually somewhat reserved brother looks over and goes, "FUCK YES!" I know "Stinkfist" is played out, but it's probably the "hit" I enjoy most live. Specifically the bridge when everything goes green, and the strobe light goes on. Adam does his tension-filled screeching riff, Danny gets tribal on the toms, Justin does his pulsating bass licks, and all the while Maynard's whispering in the background. That shit's always a mindfuck for me.

Danny starts pummeling the beginning of "Ticks and Leeches," and my jaw hits the floor. Holy shit was this incredible live. That intro was everything we discussed and more. Justin was standing right in front of me when he started chugging the bassline. It's crazy how intense he gets, quite the contrast from Adam. Maynard sounded awesome, just as I suspected he would. Danny mistakenly added an extra fill at one point. I probably wouldn't have noticed if he wasn't directly infront of me. Justin looked back at him, and Danny was just laughing at his fuck up. Also, just sayin'...

Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja
My gut feeling is Eulogy or Ticks and Leeches this tour.
After this song, Justin has some trouble with his bass. His tech comes out in a lab coat and they start talking. Maynard, seemingly annoyed leans in and says, "Justin, how long's this going to take?" Justin shrugs. Maynard looks out at the crowd and says, "I see people walking around with bags of popcorn." He turned and walked back and jealously muttered under is his breath, "I fuckin' want one." He then came back around, "GIVE ME A POPCORN, MOTHERFUCKER." A bag flies up on stage as a consession's worker simultaneously walks on stage and gives Maynard an additional bag. Maynard then takes both bags, holds them over his crotch and says, "How ya like me noooow?"

"Pushit" was incredible. Justin flubbed a chord early on, and that was the only other mistake I noticed all night. The guitar tone, and Maynard's voice really stood out in this song. He did leave out the final stanza a la "Vicarious" (which I'm so glad they dropped btw) but all in all it was still great. Two for two hearing this song in Tucson!

Next, Maynard steps down off the stage and the other three slowly work into a new song/jam. It was probably the slowest build up of any sort that I've heard from them, and I can only suspect that it's going to be part of the "epic" song/two part song on the new album. Not going to lie, the sound kind of reminded me of Mogwai.

"Schism" was next with the double-timed bridge. Pretty standard, they made the stage red for it, which I thought worked well.

"Intension" was another favorite of mine. I really enjoyed Justin's trance-inducing bass riff on it. Kind of liquidy.

I was bummed that they didn't go into "Right in Two," but instead started with "46&2." I do think it works much better later in the set rather than right after "Stinkfist." It definitely gives the crowd an energy surge.

"Lateralus" with the drum-off was typical, although it seemed like it was the first time they had done it with this particular drummer, Dave. It was his birthday, and Maynard fucked with him the whole time. He asked if he preferred Dave to David. Then said, "how 'bout Sally?" He gave him one of his bags of popcorn. This poor dude has Adam peering over his shoulder, while trying to sync up with Danny and there's Maynard's hovering over, continuously taunting him. Maynard sang happy birthday to him during the drum off. Toward the end, Maynard enthusiastically pointed out to the crowd getting Dave to look, and when he did, Maynard snatched his bag of popcorn back. Cool new terminator visuals for the drum off as well.

Intermission, I'm not sure if they used this static-frequency sound/song on their last couple of tours but I definitely remember it from the shows at The Pearl. I think this will end up being the last track on the new album a la "Faaip de Oiad," and "Viginti Tres."

Maynard came back out and said, "Dave isn't the only one with a birthday, or birth year. Adam, did you know that Arizona is a 100 years old?" Meanwhile Adam came over and put this little hula figurine on Maynard's keyboard and started doing a little hula dance. He looked like a poor man's Victor Cruz. I don't think he was even listening to Maynard. Maynard raised his bottle of water toward the crowd and said, "Cheers. Here's to the next centennial."

Then he started "The Pot" which I thought was great. Love the accapella intro.

Closed with "Aenima."

All in all it was a top notch show with a top notch setlist. I can't say it was my favorite, because some other shows were more intense for me personally. That said, they're still at the top of their game and sound phenomenal. And again, the setlist really does appeal to both the diehard and casual fans. At this point, it almost seems like they have the mind set of, "what is the last song people would expect us to play?" And then they go play it. I can't get over how good the rarer songs sound, better than ever, basically. It just makes me wish for more deep cuts. It's really impressive how dynamic they are as just a four piece. Some guy walking out summed it up perfectly, "How do four dudes make that much fucking nosie?"
10-30-01 @ Cricket Pavillion | 11-19-02 @ America West Arena | 6-6-06 @ Gammage Auditorium | 9-1-06 @ Theatre Under the Stars | 9-9-06 @ Cricket Pavillion | 6-6-07 @ Tucson Convention Center | 6-15-07 @ Bonnaroo | 12-13-07 @ The Pearl | 12-14-07 @ The Pearl | 7-18-09 @ Mile High Festival | 7-19-09 @ Energy Solutions Arena | 7-21-09 @ US Airways Center | 7-18-10 @ Nokia Theatre | 7-19-10 @ Nokia Theatre | 1-17-12 @ Tucson Convention Center
Old 01-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.17.2012 - Tucson, AZ @ Tucson Arena

Tucson, AZ 1/17/12

My brother and I got there just in time for this one, we literally got to our seats just as the opening licks of "Hooker With a Penis" started. My seat was in the third row directly between Danny's two bass drums, absolutely perfect.

Taking everything in, I'm still having trouble registering that they're actually playing "Hooker ith a Penis." I look over at my brother and he's already got his eyes closed rocking out, and realize that we're in for a quite show. The song itself sounded great, it always surprises me how clean they sound live.

Not really much to say about "Jambi." It was bad ass, and Adam nailed his talk box solo.

"Ions" starts up, and my usually somewhat reserved brother looks over and goes, "FUCK YES!" I know "Stinkfist" is played out, but it's probably the "hit" I enjoy most live. Specifically the bridge when everything goes green, and the strobe light goes on. Adam does his tension-filled screeching riff, Danny gets tribal on the toms, Justin does his pulsating bass licks, and all the while Maynard's whispering in the background. That shit's always a mindfuck for me.

Danny starts pummeling the beginning of "Ticks and Leeches," and my jaw hits the floor. Holy shit was this incredible live. That intro was everything we discussed and more. Justin was standing right in front of me when he started chugging the bassline. It's crazy how intense he gets, quite the contrast from Adam. Maynard sounded awesome, just as I suspected he would. Danny mistakenly added an extra fill at one point. I probably wouldn't have noticed if he wasn't directly infront of me. Justin looked back at him, and Danny was just laughing at his fuck up. Also, just sayin'...

Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja
My gut feeling is Eulogy or Ticks and Leeches this tour.
After this song, Justin has some trouble with his bass. His tech comes out in a lab coat and they start talking. Maynard, seemingly annoyed leans in and says, "Justin, how long's this going to take?" Justin shrugs. Maynard looks out at the crowd and says, "I see people walking around with bags of popcorn." He turned and walked back and jealously muttered under is his breath, "I fuckin' want one." He then came back around, "GIVE ME A POPCORN, MOTHERFUCKER." A bag flies up on stage as a consession's worker simultaneously walks on stage and gives Maynard an additional bag. Maynard then takes both bags, holds them over his crotch and says, "How ya like me noooow?"

"Pushit" was incredible. Justin flubbed a chord early on, and that was the only other mistake I noticed all night. The guitar tone, and Maynard's voice really stood out in this song. He did leave out the final stanza a la "Vicarious" (which I'm so glad they dropped btw) but all in all it was still great. Two for two hearing this song in Tucson!

Next, Maynard steps down off the stage and the other three slowly work into a new song/jam. It was probably the slowest build up of any sort that I've heard from them, and I can only suspect that it's going to be part of the "epic" song/two part song on the new album. Not going to lie, the sound kind of reminded me of Mogwai.

"Schism" was next with the double-timed bridge. Pretty standard, they made the stage red for it, which I thought worked well.

"Intension" was another favorite of mine. I really enjoyed Justin's trance-inducing bass riff on it. Kind of liquidy.

I was bummed that they didn't go into "Right in Two," but instead started with "46&2." I do think it works much better later in the set rather than right after "Stinkfist." It definitely gives the crowd an energy surge.

"Lateralus" with the drum-off was typical, although it seemed like it was the first time they had done it with this particular drummer, Dave. It was his birthday, and Maynard fucked with him the whole time. He asked if he preferred Dave to David. Then said, "how 'bout Sally?" He gave him one of his bags of popcorn. This poor dude has Adam peering over his shoulder, while trying to sync up with Danny and there's Maynard's hovering over, continuously taunting him. Maynard sang happy birthday to him during the drum off. Toward the end, Maynard enthusiastically pointed out to the crowd getting Dave to look, and when he did, Maynard snatched his bag of popcorn back. Cool new terminator visuals for the drum off as well.

Intermission, I'm not sure if they used this static-frequency sound/song on their last couple of tours but I definitely remember it from the shows at The Pearl. I think this will end up being the last track on the new album a la "Faaip de Oiad," and "Viginti Tres."

Maynard came back out and said, "Dave isn't the only one with a birthday, or birth year. Adam, did you know that Arizona is a 100 years old?" Meanwhile Adam came over and put this little hula figurine on Maynard's keyboard and started doing a little hula dance. He looked like a poor man's Victor Cruz. I don't think he was even listening to Maynard. Maynard raised his bottle of water toward the crowd and said, "Cheers. Here's to the next centennial."

Then he started "The Pot" which I thought was great. Love the accapella intro.

Closed with "Aenima."

All in all it was a top notch show with a top notch setlist. I can't say it was my favorite, because some other shows were more intense for me personally. That said, they're still at the top of their game and sound phenomenal. And again, the setlist really does appeal to both the diehard and casual fans. At this point, it almost seems like they have the mind set of, "what is the last song people would expect us to play?" And then they go play it. I can't get over how good the rarer songs sound, better than ever, basically. It just makes me wish for more deep cuts. It's really impressive how dynamic they are as just a four piece. Some guy walking out summed it up perfectly, "How do four dudes make that much fucking nosie?"
10-30-01 @ Cricket Pavillion | 11-19-02 @ America West Arena | 6-6-06 @ Gammage Auditorium | 9-1-06 @ Theatre Under the Stars | 9-9-06 @ Cricket Pavillion | 6-6-07 @ Tucson Convention Center | 6-15-07 @ Bonnaroo | 12-13-07 @ The Pearl | 12-14-07 @ The Pearl | 7-18-09 @ Mile High Festival | 7-19-09 @ Energy Solutions Arena | 7-21-09 @ US Airways Center | 7-18-10 @ Nokia Theatre | 7-19-10 @ Nokia Theatre | 1-17-12 @ Tucson Convention Center
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote