Thread: Surround Sound
View Single Post
Huff's Avatar Huff
05-30-2006, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy
find a friend with 5.1 and check it out! it's fun.

by the way, to the people who said that the album cannot be intended to be in 5.1....that's actually incorrect. it IS possible, yet highly unlikely.

Pro Logic II uses a matrix to seperate channels. it can do it from any stereo audio source, it just uses a set matrix.

however, there are plenty of videogames that specifically say DOLBY PROLOGIC II on them (a lot of Gamecube and PS2 games). basically, these games contain "flags" in the stereo audio. basically, in a stereo source, the center channel is created out of the similarities between the L and R channels. there are certain "flags" (i dont know a better way to describe it, sorry) that are able to seperate the front and rear sounds from each L and R channel. so it's not true discrete 5.1 sound, but yes, it can create somewhat of a "real" surround sound.
Actually....what PL does is take the "out of phase" information from the left and right channels, and put them in the rear and center....but all this discussion is pretty stupid, because, if a piece of audio is not MIXED in 5.1 (that's 5 DISCREET channels + a sub channel), then it can't be PLAYED in 5.1!!!! PL and Dolby Digital and DTS are all just different ways of decoding the mixed 5.1 source audio. If you are using PL or any of the awful DSP's that come on amps nowadays, you're seriously ruining what is a brilliant stereo mix.

OMG.....just as I was typing this Rosetta Stoned came on my ipod (which I have on random). Out of 3K songs that's pretty good:):):)

-David Cross
Old 05-30-2006, 06:07 AM   #32
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Surround Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy
find a friend with 5.1 and check it out! it's fun.

by the way, to the people who said that the album cannot be intended to be in 5.1....that's actually incorrect. it IS possible, yet highly unlikely.

Pro Logic II uses a matrix to seperate channels. it can do it from any stereo audio source, it just uses a set matrix.

however, there are plenty of videogames that specifically say DOLBY PROLOGIC II on them (a lot of Gamecube and PS2 games). basically, these games contain "flags" in the stereo audio. basically, in a stereo source, the center channel is created out of the similarities between the L and R channels. there are certain "flags" (i dont know a better way to describe it, sorry) that are able to seperate the front and rear sounds from each L and R channel. so it's not true discrete 5.1 sound, but yes, it can create somewhat of a "real" surround sound.
Actually....what PL does is take the "out of phase" information from the left and right channels, and put them in the rear and center....but all this discussion is pretty stupid, because, if a piece of audio is not MIXED in 5.1 (that's 5 DISCREET channels + a sub channel), then it can't be PLAYED in 5.1!!!! PL and Dolby Digital and DTS are all just different ways of decoding the mixed 5.1 source audio. If you are using PL or any of the awful DSP's that come on amps nowadays, you're seriously ruining what is a brilliant stereo mix.

OMG.....just as I was typing this Rosetta Stoned came on my ipod (which I have on random). Out of 3K songs that's pretty good:):):)

-David Cross
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote