View Single Post
SterileEyes
12-11-2007, 10:23 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you.

In my review on the previous page of this thread I wasn't 'nitpicking every little thing' as someone suggested (someone who was just seeing Tool for the first time, go figure).

I'm a big fan, I've seen them 3x this tour and in '01 as well.

I wish Tool were more like the bands that play a radically different set every night and have fans that follow them around the country wondering what surprises they'll get at each show - Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews, Queens of the Stone Age, Guns N' Roses in their prime, Chili Peppers to some extent, any "jam band" (which I think Tool is in many ways), Dream Theater (and if Dream Theater can learn 40 songs before they go on tour, certainly Tool can), Primus, etc.

Tool's visuals are a part of their art, and I applaud Adam for being so dedicated. But when it handicaps them to 15 songs for 2 years (that's 10 per night with the 4 or 5 different ones they've done on occasion - Pushit, Flood, Right In Two, Sober, Opiate)...it makes me feel like they're 'wearing the bare minimum 15 pieces of flair' to put it in Office Space terms. Or it's like seeing the same Broadway show over and over or something.

Even though the show was flawless for what it was, I still get the vibe that by playing the same show every night they're "phoning it in" and getting a little too comfortable to some extent. Especially when "changing the setlist" for Tool basically means...dropping The Pot and Aenima. My criticism is just that they're Tool and I feel like they could milk their catalogue a bit more. That's it. I still love the band and I'll see them everytime, and it's just my opinion..

CLICK THAT LINK TO HEAR MY COVER OF "THE GRUDGE"!

Last edited by SterileEyes; 12-11-2007 at 10:35 PM..
Old 12-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #42
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Dec 10 Los Angeles, CA Nokia Theater

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you.

In my review on the previous page of this thread I wasn't 'nitpicking every little thing' as someone suggested (someone who was just seeing Tool for the first time, go figure).

I'm a big fan, I've seen them 3x this tour and in '01 as well.

I wish Tool were more like the bands that play a radically different set every night and have fans that follow them around the country wondering what surprises they'll get at each show - Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews, Queens of the Stone Age, Guns N' Roses in their prime, Chili Peppers to some extent, any "jam band" (which I think Tool is in many ways), Dream Theater (and if Dream Theater can learn 40 songs before they go on tour, certainly Tool can), Primus, etc.

Tool's visuals are a part of their art, and I applaud Adam for being so dedicated. But when it handicaps them to 15 songs for 2 years (that's 10 per night with the 4 or 5 different ones they've done on occasion - Pushit, Flood, Right In Two, Sober, Opiate)...it makes me feel like they're 'wearing the bare minimum 15 pieces of flair' to put it in Office Space terms. Or it's like seeing the same Broadway show over and over or something.

Even though the show was flawless for what it was, I still get the vibe that by playing the same show every night they're "phoning it in" and getting a little too comfortable to some extent. Especially when "changing the setlist" for Tool basically means...dropping The Pot and Aenima. My criticism is just that they're Tool and I feel like they could milk their catalogue a bit more. That's it. I still love the band and I'll see them everytime, and it's just my opinion..

CLICK THAT LINK TO HEAR MY COVER OF "THE GRUDGE"!

Last edited by SterileEyes; 12-11-2007 at 10:35 PM..
OFFLINE |