View Single Post
Sea of Lies
06-19-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987 View Post
Well I also play guitar (for 13 years, I'm no amateur) and I have to disagree. His riffs on 10,000 Days take his style to new places, for sure. Vicarious is the only song that kinda borrows from the past. He's never written a riff like Jambi. His low D-high D bendy thing on The Pot is pure simplistic genius (and his riff on the bridge is pure slightly more complex genius, another lick dissimilar from his past work), the most important musical element for most of Rosetta Stoned for me is his amazing guitar work, despite obvious references to the past (I think that was the idea on this one), his subtle touch entirely makes the mood work on Intension, and Right in Two, like it or not, is all about Adam's haunting clean tone intro, which also is a bit unlike what he's done before. And c'mon that wide-open riff heavy-ass riff after the tabla stuff ushers in the rest of the song unmistakably, and again showcases this master of simplicity.

I hardly believe he's out of ideas.

It's not that these riffs are hard to play or emulate. The genius in them is that that HE thought of them, and that no one else sounds like him. Unless they are copying his style, that is.

And as a songwriter, I can tell you it's a lot harder to come up with something simple and memorably effective than something complicated and showy.

Adam is irreplaceable. As are Danny and Justin. I'm with the school of thought that Maynard is replaceable, if only because I feel the core of the band's sound is in its instrumental sound more than anything else.

But dear god I hope he never is replaced, because his voice is such a perfect match to what the instrumentalists create.

Ok we'll go here by parts.

First, his D bend in the pot.

Has anyone gone to a tool concert where they play the Pot? ADAM CAN'T DO THAT BEND. He recorded it with studio help, cause he can't get that cool feedback when he actually plays it live.

The pot's great, actually but rosetta is so repetitive, his "solo" is just saying "yeah, i went with robert fripp and now i can hold a note as long as i want... maybe they're good songs but my point here is that in every album he comes with something better than before. As in opíate he had his "metal-grunge" sound, then in undertow weird sounds, aenima, huge use of his flanger and delay, lateralus, technical songs, a lot of wah solos, cool overall.

But 10,000 days? Talkbox and pan-tremolo? ... huge sustain? ... compare it to what Justin and Danny grew for this album. Justin is amazing, all the sounds, the riffs, the use of the bass is overall great and far away from what we've heard before of him. Danny and his new mandalas, using them in every way possible, Intension is FUCKING AWESOME.

He just can't compare to the growth of the band... (and maynard's vocal cords going to hell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf
Honestly I would challenge anyone here to play his parts as cleanly or as consistently as he does. Being a guitarist myself, I know a lot of what he plays isn't exactly child's play even if it's not just mind-blowingly technical either.
Challenge accepted, it's not that hard to play his parts, you're refering to what you hear on the album. But go and see him live, he can't play that way his own songs, he screws up a lot.

Then, go to Youtube and find videos from users like opiateofthemasses (a lot of money and he has all adam's gear like the diezel, mesa boogie and the silverburst), latheralus (shitty sound and equipment but technically sometimes better than opiateofthemasses) and others i can't remember right now that can pull it of.

(for bass look for toolbassplayer).

Old 06-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #61
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: Could a member of the current Tool line-up be replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987 View Post
Well I also play guitar (for 13 years, I'm no amateur) and I have to disagree. His riffs on 10,000 Days take his style to new places, for sure. Vicarious is the only song that kinda borrows from the past. He's never written a riff like Jambi. His low D-high D bendy thing on The Pot is pure simplistic genius (and his riff on the bridge is pure slightly more complex genius, another lick dissimilar from his past work), the most important musical element for most of Rosetta Stoned for me is his amazing guitar work, despite obvious references to the past (I think that was the idea on this one), his subtle touch entirely makes the mood work on Intension, and Right in Two, like it or not, is all about Adam's haunting clean tone intro, which also is a bit unlike what he's done before. And c'mon that wide-open riff heavy-ass riff after the tabla stuff ushers in the rest of the song unmistakably, and again showcases this master of simplicity.

I hardly believe he's out of ideas.

It's not that these riffs are hard to play or emulate. The genius in them is that that HE thought of them, and that no one else sounds like him. Unless they are copying his style, that is.

And as a songwriter, I can tell you it's a lot harder to come up with something simple and memorably effective than something complicated and showy.

Adam is irreplaceable. As are Danny and Justin. I'm with the school of thought that Maynard is replaceable, if only because I feel the core of the band's sound is in its instrumental sound more than anything else.

But dear god I hope he never is replaced, because his voice is such a perfect match to what the instrumentalists create.

Ok we'll go here by parts.

First, his D bend in the pot.

Has anyone gone to a tool concert where they play the Pot? ADAM CAN'T DO THAT BEND. He recorded it with studio help, cause he can't get that cool feedback when he actually plays it live.

The pot's great, actually but rosetta is so repetitive, his "solo" is just saying "yeah, i went with robert fripp and now i can hold a note as long as i want... maybe they're good songs but my point here is that in every album he comes with something better than before. As in opíate he had his "metal-grunge" sound, then in undertow weird sounds, aenima, huge use of his flanger and delay, lateralus, technical songs, a lot of wah solos, cool overall.

But 10,000 days? Talkbox and pan-tremolo? ... huge sustain? ... compare it to what Justin and Danny grew for this album. Justin is amazing, all the sounds, the riffs, the use of the bass is overall great and far away from what we've heard before of him. Danny and his new mandalas, using them in every way possible, Intension is FUCKING AWESOME.

He just can't compare to the growth of the band... (and maynard's vocal cords going to hell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf
Honestly I would challenge anyone here to play his parts as cleanly or as consistently as he does. Being a guitarist myself, I know a lot of what he plays isn't exactly child's play even if it's not just mind-blowingly technical either.
Challenge accepted, it's not that hard to play his parts, you're refering to what you hear on the album. But go and see him live, he can't play that way his own songs, he screws up a lot.

Then, go to Youtube and find videos from users like opiateofthemasses (a lot of money and he has all adam's gear like the diezel, mesa boogie and the silverburst), latheralus (shitty sound and equipment but technically sometimes better than opiateofthemasses) and others i can't remember right now that can pull it of.

(for bass look for toolbassplayer).

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote