View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 03:58 AM   #71
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/01/31 - Melbourne, AUS - Sidney Myer Music Bowl

I can understand anyone dissapointed or really critical of the show as they usually pull off an imaculate set.. and think about it not very many bands at all can sound AS good or better live, than they do on the album. Especially vocalists but then I couldn't get fucked out AND do gigs 3 times a week and travel, and not have a nervous breakdown or have my body fail me.
So, I empathise and ask those who have a whinge about something as temperamental as the human body to send me a tape of something better and then I'll listen.

I did feel it was was below 100% output from the band.. but I also felt it was well below 100% input from the crowd, no one kept the lighters going when they had one cranking or screaming and going crazy between songs.. not alot more than the non optional clap at expected intervals.

The only time I heard a chant or some crazy energy going was when people were expecting an encore, but it quickly died out when they realised it wasn't going to happen..

Sydney was amazing because of the vibe and love you could feel in the room, everyone just grooving on the music and rocking out, as well as the awesome sound quality which was all encompassing.

Maybe it was partially a case of you get out what you put in?

All in all it was an experience.. unlike shit day out which I will try to block from my memory forever and will never, ever, ever, ever.. EVER.... go to again.

Cheap bastards with their cheap sound systems that kept cutting in and out, don't cut it for any non garage band even though the band (for the most part) were doing all the right things.. it was like having a cd playing in the next room and you swear you can hear something.. but your friend is playing shitty distorted loud techno next door.. so you're not really sure. That and the general population of bdo which I never want to be enclosed by three fences with ever again.

The lack of drinks wasn't so bad for me as I had more than long enough to drink and get a good buzz while I was waiting to get in.. And there was a couple of spliffs going around that were shared when asked (thanks heaps to anyone that donated to the cause!)

Oh and the guy on the roof did have bad timing, but it was amusing just like any random act of stupidity at a gig. Don't know why the fuck he got down before the end though, there was a whole lot of seco waiting that pounced on him and took him down with zeal.
OFFLINE |