View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 06:19 PM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/01/31 - Melbourne, AUS - Sidney Myer Music Bowl

Awesome performance, crappy venue. I was about a metre behind the barrier, on the grass, and when that idiot got up on the roof, everyone started gawking, pointing, laughing and talking, which really detracted from Wings/10000, which would otherwise have been the highlight of the show for me.

I can't fault the band, they were fantastic. Plenty of energy, although Maynard did seem a bit down; even if he isn't as chatty in Tool as he is in APC, there was a definite change in his energy from the Lateralus shows in '01/02. Adam and Justin were both right into it and very enjoyable to watch. Danny was brilliant as always; my drumming idol.

Honestly I can't pick a favourite song, I love the whole lot. Lamented the lack of The Pot and Undertow-era stuff though.

The sound was perfect, in contrast to the wall of white noise that characterises the Big Day Out's giant speaker stacks. Snare drum sounded good, and the guitar sound was exceptional.

The support band had a good sound, even if a number of people around me made a number of comments relating to the band's heredity, appearance and odour.

The crowd was good, not too much pushing; although during one song a bunch of people around me started swaying from side to side, which got very old and very frustrating very quickly.

Lighting was also a highlight (pardon the pun), with some truly inspired choices during solos etc. Kudos to the lighting team. Visuals were awesome as well.

My only real complaint is the venue. The lawn is not quite slanted enough, which meant that I had a hard time seeing the band at 5'11" while my friend who is considerably shorter saw practically nothing aside from the odd green glow extending overhead.

All in all, a great performance from a band that continues to amaze and inspire me; and a choice of venue that was perhaps not ideal. Given the constraints the promoters would have had to deal (Rod Laver being booked out etc) I suppose it's the logical choice, but that doesn't really help with my enjoyment of the gig.

The lasers were pretty cool too :D
OFFLINE |