View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 05:22 PM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/01/31 - Melbourne, AUS - Sidney Myer Music Bowl

My first Tool gig and god, the lengths I went to get my gold ticket. When I checked out the seating chart for the bowl, I was still worried I'd be miles away. After spending one hour in the queue for gate 1, I was blown away when I saw how close I was to the stage (Row S).

I figured they'd be checking for cameras, so I stuffed my phone down my bra and they were none the wiser. Got about 20 good shots of the show, even after one of the security guards forced me to delete a picture he'd seen me take. Clown.

I'd read on here that people get annoyed about others singing. I'm not sure if the sound was different at BDO, as I wasn't there, but I was singing my lungs out last night and I couldn't hear myself, let alone the guy next to me who was also singing.

Forty Six & 2 sounded incredible live. I agree with previous posters, Justin was so into the show, he was sweating and playing so hard. It was a joy to watch him in action.

Highlights for me were the alterations to Schism, 10,000 Days and Lateralus. I've never been a huge fan of Lateralus, even though it's a Tool standby, but it sounded phenomonal! So heavy and crisp...good sound all over last night. Rosetta Stoned is my favourite track of 10,000 Days but oddly, it wasn't the best track of the night I thought. Still, the visuals were sensational.

Still, I felt the setlist was shorter than previous shows and I was not happy about missing out on The Pot and Swamp Song/Opiate. I'd read they'd played those tracks elsewhere and was hanging out for some Opiate/Undertow.

Also, did anyone else feel that Maynard was having a bad night? I saw him a few years ago with APC and he was chatty all night, cracking jokes, connecting with the crowd. He said two words last night and then he could not get off that stage fast enough. Was nice to see the other guys hanging back and feeling the crowd's gratitude, smiling and staying with us a bit longer.

Fingers crossed for shows later this year and some ye olde Tool tracks.