View Single Post
prater
07-26-2009, 12:23 AM

Maynard is how he has always been, hot and cold, sarcastic as shit and really the antithesis of a rockstar... which he is, I saw the Lataralus tour, five shows on the 10k days tour and was there tonight and I must say, Maynard was not acting tonight, he was being himself, thats just Maynard for you. I saw Maynard in 2006 sick as shit and obviously acting. Tonight was him, for sure. Like I said its just a 40 year old version of him, so there are obviously some differences. I'm sure nobody is the same at 40 as they were at 23. He's still himself and tonight was honestly the happiest I've ever seen him in concert, he appeared genuinely happy. Maynard does not want worship, that started happening so he put himself in the back of the stage. Every night when he leaves the other three guys to take in the applause, hes not being an asshole, he's letting the other guys take center stage. Theres so much focus on Maynard when it comes to Tool, sure us die hard fans recognize the other guys, but most moderate Tool fans focus only on Maynard. He's said before its not about him, there are three other guys in the band. So I think his attitude can be perceived wrong but its still the same message, Maynard is humble, he loves to perform obviously, or he wouldn't get up there and dance and tell us stories and be animated. But I don't think he's big on affection. Tonight he danced and talked and joked with the band. He was there in a way I've never seen. I've seen him with APC, at wine signings and with Tool and he's always the same, even with APC he disappeared when the show was over. He's an unwilling celebrity, he wants people to focus on his art not his persona. I can respect that and for the first time in a long time I can finally see that he reciprocates that respect in his own way.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:23 AM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.25.09 - Dallas, TX @ Nokia Theatre (Grand Prairie)

Maynard is how he has always been, hot and cold, sarcastic as shit and really the antithesis of a rockstar... which he is, I saw the Lataralus tour, five shows on the 10k days tour and was there tonight and I must say, Maynard was not acting tonight, he was being himself, thats just Maynard for you. I saw Maynard in 2006 sick as shit and obviously acting. Tonight was him, for sure. Like I said its just a 40 year old version of him, so there are obviously some differences. I'm sure nobody is the same at 40 as they were at 23. He's still himself and tonight was honestly the happiest I've ever seen him in concert, he appeared genuinely happy. Maynard does not want worship, that started happening so he put himself in the back of the stage. Every night when he leaves the other three guys to take in the applause, hes not being an asshole, he's letting the other guys take center stage. Theres so much focus on Maynard when it comes to Tool, sure us die hard fans recognize the other guys, but most moderate Tool fans focus only on Maynard. He's said before its not about him, there are three other guys in the band. So I think his attitude can be perceived wrong but its still the same message, Maynard is humble, he loves to perform obviously, or he wouldn't get up there and dance and tell us stories and be animated. But I don't think he's big on affection. Tonight he danced and talked and joked with the band. He was there in a way I've never seen. I've seen him with APC, at wine signings and with Tool and he's always the same, even with APC he disappeared when the show was over. He's an unwilling celebrity, he wants people to focus on his art not his persona. I can respect that and for the first time in a long time I can finally see that he reciprocates that respect in his own way.
OFFLINE |