View Single Post
McMAN71
06-07-2007, 06:09 AM

Wow. This was my fourth Tool show, and very first indoors. For my girlfriend, it was her first. I want to start by saying that my heart goes out to Maynard after the stepfather comment. The first thing that went through my mind was that this asshole probably left his mom after the stroke. This idiot more than likely was somewhat of an inspiration for some of his darker material. I had a feeling after the comment that we were going to get something other than Right in Two, but not Pushit. Flood was an awesome change of pace, and a great FU to someone that created some pretty bad memeories for him.

As far as the the stage show, I was able to catch Pink Floyd indoors at the start of the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour (Sept. 1987 I think), and I firmly believe that visually Tool are at their level. I can't really say that Tool are beyond, because there has been 20 years of technology advances, but as far as the total package, they are masters at integrating all components of the show, and just giving you something amazing for the 52.50 per. We were sitting in FL3 row A (aisle, which kind of sucked because of all the drunken idiots bumping into us early on), which put us about 24 rows back, ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for the light show, but still close enough to make out the band. i feel bad for those poor souls who spent 250+ a pop on the Ticketmaster auction for front frow. No way could you have gotten the full light show experience. Word of advice to people who hold those seats for future shows: try and trade out of them, you'll be happy that you did.

Man those guys can play well. Danny is beast. I do kind of want to call Bullshit on the bicep, but if it is true, how he can play that well either in pain or doped up is beyond belief. Justin was doing things with his bass that I truely believed were Adam on record. My fault, but until that show, I hadn't thought of him as an elite bassist, like Les or Flea. Adam totally fits the David Gilmour mold, even though he doesn't sing. I told my girlfriend that he was pretty much responsible for all the visuals, and her jaw dropped. Adam may not be the world's greatest live guitarist, but he is perfect for the band, and was spot on Tuesday. Maynard was in RARE form. I firmly believe that the fact his stepfather lives in Hartsville gave him energy to go a little bit further. Playing Flood. Singing the end of Vicarious. talking more than usual. I myself happen to have a father in Pendelton, SC (you guys can punch him too) that I no longer have in my life, so I can begin to empathize with Maynard, and I can tell you that a part of me would want to do a little extra for the FU.

Someone commented before that it did kind of seem like a farewell tour. I did kind of get that. Hopefully, if it is, they do like the Beatles and keep making records for a while. maybe do a one off show here or there, but I believe that this may be it. If so, they are going out on top.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:09 AM   #28
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/06/05 - Greenville, SC - Bi-Lo Center

Wow. This was my fourth Tool show, and very first indoors. For my girlfriend, it was her first. I want to start by saying that my heart goes out to Maynard after the stepfather comment. The first thing that went through my mind was that this asshole probably left his mom after the stroke. This idiot more than likely was somewhat of an inspiration for some of his darker material. I had a feeling after the comment that we were going to get something other than Right in Two, but not Pushit. Flood was an awesome change of pace, and a great FU to someone that created some pretty bad memeories for him.

As far as the the stage show, I was able to catch Pink Floyd indoors at the start of the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour (Sept. 1987 I think), and I firmly believe that visually Tool are at their level. I can't really say that Tool are beyond, because there has been 20 years of technology advances, but as far as the total package, they are masters at integrating all components of the show, and just giving you something amazing for the 52.50 per. We were sitting in FL3 row A (aisle, which kind of sucked because of all the drunken idiots bumping into us early on), which put us about 24 rows back, ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for the light show, but still close enough to make out the band. i feel bad for those poor souls who spent 250+ a pop on the Ticketmaster auction for front frow. No way could you have gotten the full light show experience. Word of advice to people who hold those seats for future shows: try and trade out of them, you'll be happy that you did.

Man those guys can play well. Danny is beast. I do kind of want to call Bullshit on the bicep, but if it is true, how he can play that well either in pain or doped up is beyond belief. Justin was doing things with his bass that I truely believed were Adam on record. My fault, but until that show, I hadn't thought of him as an elite bassist, like Les or Flea. Adam totally fits the David Gilmour mold, even though he doesn't sing. I told my girlfriend that he was pretty much responsible for all the visuals, and her jaw dropped. Adam may not be the world's greatest live guitarist, but he is perfect for the band, and was spot on Tuesday. Maynard was in RARE form. I firmly believe that the fact his stepfather lives in Hartsville gave him energy to go a little bit further. Playing Flood. Singing the end of Vicarious. talking more than usual. I myself happen to have a father in Pendelton, SC (you guys can punch him too) that I no longer have in my life, so I can begin to empathize with Maynard, and I can tell you that a part of me would want to do a little extra for the FU.

Someone commented before that it did kind of seem like a farewell tour. I did kind of get that. Hopefully, if it is, they do like the Beatles and keep making records for a while. maybe do a one off show here or there, but I believe that this may be it. If so, they are going out on top.
OFFLINE |