View Single Post
elusivEuphoria's Avatar elusivEuphoria
05-16-2018, 08:43 AM

Writing that jarred another detail from the night out of my head. There was a point when Adam was talking about polyrhythms and what he thinks of as "counter-rhythms" (which I supposed could also be counterpoint or cross-rhythms), the latter he said would be occurring when he and Justin are playing a the same or similar riff one measure, then the next measure Adam takes a note out of the riff and it creates this "counter rhythm", then the following measure Justin adds a new note for one measure and the whole thing changes again. I feel like I should have asked, but I felt like he was alluding to the opening of Vicarious. He said that stuff like that is heavily influenced by King Crimson's THRAK album (iirc). Which is funny because there's actually more examples of stuff like that on Discipline.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #5885
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860
Re: General Tool Discussion

Writing that jarred another detail from the night out of my head. There was a point when Adam was talking about polyrhythms and what he thinks of as "counter-rhythms" (which I supposed could also be counterpoint or cross-rhythms), the latter he said would be occurring when he and Justin are playing a the same or similar riff one measure, then the next measure Adam takes a note out of the riff and it creates this "counter rhythm", then the following measure Justin adds a new note for one measure and the whole thing changes again. I feel like I should have asked, but I felt like he was alluding to the opening of Vicarious. He said that stuff like that is heavily influenced by King Crimson's THRAK album (iirc). Which is funny because there's actually more examples of stuff like that on Discipline.