View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/08/24 - Calgary, AB - Pengrowth Saddledome

That's the best show that I've seen ever, I think. And I went to a lot of concerts in the last year or two:
Pearl Jam
Queens of the Stoneage (twice)
Audioslave
Green Day
NIN
Perfect Circle
System of a Down (twice)

All what I would consider quality bands, but still: Tool was by far my favorite. Hats off to them for still having passion for their music after 16 years or so of off and on touring.

When Danny Carey led the band into a new part of a song, it looked like he meant BUSINESS. He wasn't there to fuck around. When he playfully tapped the gong a couple times during a little jam session prior to lateralus, I had the distinct pleasure of watchig about 10 rows ahead of me slam their fingers into their ears to escape the wrath. Not me, though. When he hit it during lateralus it was like God talking, it was SO loud. Incredible.

Maynard's voice was perfect, obviously. I wasn't sure what to expect, having only heard relatively crappy live recordings. It sounded crystal clear at times, and mechanical or distorted when he wanted it to. During the outro to Vicarious he sang so hard I think his voicebox just about split in half. It looked like they had the most fun with the new songs, and as others have commented, it DOES seem like they are made for a live show. Especially Rosetta Stoned, singing into a loudspeaker strapped onto his back was a very cool idea.

Justin and Adam were also playing very well. I didn't see Justin as much since he was on the far side of the stage, but he looked like he was having fun: gyrating and twisting around and shit. Adam hardly moved around at all, but he played great, so who cares? Sometimes when all three instruments were going full out, it got so loud the notes sorta mushed together, but it didn't happen often enough to make a difference.

Anyways, there was lots of little surprises that made the whole night very memorable to me. Anyone who gets to see them this tour should consider themselves lucky bastards
OFFLINE |