View Single Post
Phosphorescent Button's Avatar Phosphorescent Button
07-14-2007, 08:57 PM

Wow. Utterly speechless!

I have to keep this brief because I'm so wiped out right now...

Bottom line, I flew out from SoCal for this show since I was able to fit it in along with a business trip (perfect huh?). This is my 4th show this tour. I also attended the back-to-back San Diego shows in May (debut of Pushit) and the first LA show in 06 (debut of Wings).

This show was the best of the four and that says a lot! I think everyone has come to realize that the crowd and venue dynamics are the real driving force behind a Tool performance. The crowd here in upstate NY was respectful, excited, and just plain wonderful. Especially compared to the assholes in SoCal. Lots of the audience was standing for the performance. No real cases of dumbasses doing things to offend Maynard, etc.

I think Maynard liked the crowd's energy and it showed. This was a very different Maynard. He was in superb spirits. I loved Lateralus especially. During the extended drum solo, he was bringing out plants to the stage platform by Danny and calmly watering them. He serenely walked by the Big Business drummer and gave him a nice pat on the back, like, "Good job kiddo, you're giving Danny a run for his money" kind of vibe. It was like Maynard was the wise old teacher giving props to his favorite student for a job well done. I guess you had to be there.

I'm so blessed to have seen Flood. I needed that tonight since it's the first Undertow performance that I've seen this tour. Flood was certainly a highlight, but the Lateralus performance was my favorite of the evening, very much due to the vibe I mentioned before.

The obligatory, "We'll see you again real soon" was spoken by Maynard towards the end. It's clear that this is morphing into Tool's most extensive tour of their career with no sign of ending. I wonder about the reasoning for this. Do the guys realize that they truly are the last defining force in rock and roll and feel obligated to hold the genre above water before it drowns? Is it strictly an ego thing? Is it strictly about the revenue? I don't know, but us fans are benefiting greatly.

I really think the whole setlist discussion is a mute point. Even since the San Diego shows in May, the whole performance has evolved yet again. This experience was vastly different and just as incredible despite the set list similarities. I urge everyone to continue supporting the band's touring efforts. If we keep selling out shows for them, this thing could go on for a long time.

I took over 70 images of the show from my 10th row floor seat on the aisle. I'll provide a link to them when I have time to burn tomorrow at the airport.

Thank you TOOL. Your boundless talents never disappoint. To the defining rock band of the new millenia!

Nick Kaos

Floor1, Row R, Seat 1 (Pink Floyd shirt)
Old 07-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/07/14 - Albany, NY - Times Forum Union

Wow. Utterly speechless!

I have to keep this brief because I'm so wiped out right now...

Bottom line, I flew out from SoCal for this show since I was able to fit it in along with a business trip (perfect huh?). This is my 4th show this tour. I also attended the back-to-back San Diego shows in May (debut of Pushit) and the first LA show in 06 (debut of Wings).

This show was the best of the four and that says a lot! I think everyone has come to realize that the crowd and venue dynamics are the real driving force behind a Tool performance. The crowd here in upstate NY was respectful, excited, and just plain wonderful. Especially compared to the assholes in SoCal. Lots of the audience was standing for the performance. No real cases of dumbasses doing things to offend Maynard, etc.

I think Maynard liked the crowd's energy and it showed. This was a very different Maynard. He was in superb spirits. I loved Lateralus especially. During the extended drum solo, he was bringing out plants to the stage platform by Danny and calmly watering them. He serenely walked by the Big Business drummer and gave him a nice pat on the back, like, "Good job kiddo, you're giving Danny a run for his money" kind of vibe. It was like Maynard was the wise old teacher giving props to his favorite student for a job well done. I guess you had to be there.

I'm so blessed to have seen Flood. I needed that tonight since it's the first Undertow performance that I've seen this tour. Flood was certainly a highlight, but the Lateralus performance was my favorite of the evening, very much due to the vibe I mentioned before.

The obligatory, "We'll see you again real soon" was spoken by Maynard towards the end. It's clear that this is morphing into Tool's most extensive tour of their career with no sign of ending. I wonder about the reasoning for this. Do the guys realize that they truly are the last defining force in rock and roll and feel obligated to hold the genre above water before it drowns? Is it strictly an ego thing? Is it strictly about the revenue? I don't know, but us fans are benefiting greatly.

I really think the whole setlist discussion is a mute point. Even since the San Diego shows in May, the whole performance has evolved yet again. This experience was vastly different and just as incredible despite the set list similarities. I urge everyone to continue supporting the band's touring efforts. If we keep selling out shows for them, this thing could go on for a long time.

I took over 70 images of the show from my 10th row floor seat on the aisle. I'll provide a link to them when I have time to burn tomorrow at the airport.

Thank you TOOL. Your boundless talents never disappoint. To the defining rock band of the new millenia!

Nick Kaos

Floor1, Row R, Seat 1 (Pink Floyd shirt)
OFFLINE |