View Single Post
Lipan Conjuring
09-05-2006, 07:29 AM

The point you are making about the stupidity of just following a 'way of life' based on some sort of ideology, without doing any thought of your own is obviously true. But I think you misunderstand the nature of most people's non-christianity... I would say that most of the people at a Tool concert who do not believe in Christianity at all do not have their beliefs because of Tool's music - and I'm talking about a lot of 15,16,17 year olds as well - or any other ideology, but have rather based their beliefs on their own logic.. asking questions about the possibility of a benevolent God in a world where there is more suffering than pleasure, seeking evidence for the existence of something before believing it exists, these types of questions.. and Tool's own non-Christianity simply COINCIDES with that of the audience's to a large degree (not all the audience of course, as you yourself would know, and while I am non-religious, in case you get the wrong idea, I do not consider one's religion or background or faith of being any significance in one's appreciation for and understanding of Tool)... However I will say that when real independent and reasoned thinking prevails, an intelligent human being should be naturally drawn to a healthy agnosticism/atheism. Just because most of the people at Tool concerts do not, as a whole conform to Christianity, does not necessarily mean Tool has had an overwhelming influence in this.. I think if you asked most PHD Oxford Philosophy graduates, there would be as many Non-Christians... and these are the people REALLY giving things some thought, ey! Don't know why I'm posting this, i hate religion arguments anyway because neither party seems to 'learn' anything from them

Last edited by Lipan Conjuring; 09-05-2006 at 07:35 AM..
Old 09-05-2006, 07:29 AM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: Tool and the Occult

The point you are making about the stupidity of just following a 'way of life' based on some sort of ideology, without doing any thought of your own is obviously true. But I think you misunderstand the nature of most people's non-christianity... I would say that most of the people at a Tool concert who do not believe in Christianity at all do not have their beliefs because of Tool's music - and I'm talking about a lot of 15,16,17 year olds as well - or any other ideology, but have rather based their beliefs on their own logic.. asking questions about the possibility of a benevolent God in a world where there is more suffering than pleasure, seeking evidence for the existence of something before believing it exists, these types of questions.. and Tool's own non-Christianity simply COINCIDES with that of the audience's to a large degree (not all the audience of course, as you yourself would know, and while I am non-religious, in case you get the wrong idea, I do not consider one's religion or background or faith of being any significance in one's appreciation for and understanding of Tool)... However I will say that when real independent and reasoned thinking prevails, an intelligent human being should be naturally drawn to a healthy agnosticism/atheism. Just because most of the people at Tool concerts do not, as a whole conform to Christianity, does not necessarily mean Tool has had an overwhelming influence in this.. I think if you asked most PHD Oxford Philosophy graduates, there would be as many Non-Christians... and these are the people REALLY giving things some thought, ey! Don't know why I'm posting this, i hate religion arguments anyway because neither party seems to 'learn' anything from them

Last edited by Lipan Conjuring; 09-05-2006 at 07:35 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote