View Single Post
Old 09-01-2006, 06:48 PM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
A thorough review.1st Tool concert.1st post on site.

When TOOL announced their summer tour,seeing that UT wasn't on the list I started planning a massive road trip.It didn't materalize.I was really bummed but then 94.9 the Blaze announced they were coming back around & would be at the E center.I got the chills from head to toe.My dream would surely come to pass afterall.I was broke when the tickets went on sale then sold out, so I had to buy from those rip off ticket vendors online.Section 103 row 20 next to the stage 125.00.I took my younger brother($250).Some of you may have seen him.He was the punk with giant yellow spiked hair.He was asked by 94.9 the Blaze what he thought of Bush."F*ck Bush"was all he could muster being put on the spot.He got told by 2 female guards that were walking up & down the lines what items he needed to take off.When we got up top 2 male guards discussed whether or not they were going to let him in.They called their superior on a cell."Bobby bad ass" arrived & checked him out.The problem was he had a chain necklace that was locked around his neck with no key & hand cuffs hooked to his pants.Were they afraid he might kidnap Maynard & hold him hostage?They eventually let us in.Our seats proved to be some of the best in the house.Apparently the floor kinda sucked as mentioned by some.We could see the entire white stage fully equipped with stage hands in white hospital coats.This made for an awesome visual feast.I could see Danny and Justin perfect,Maynard great & Adam okay.Isis were unique & impressive.I was worried because while they were playing their short but sweet set the place was barely half full.I wanted every seat filled quickly for Tool.They eventually got filled.I wanted Tool to know how much Salt Lake loves them.I think they got the hint.The arena was full of so much positive energy.I once in a while looked out at the crowd it was sureal.While waiting in anticipation for them to come on stage there was an hour of crappy background music.But then for like 15 min there was this guy talking about science & surgery or something.Anyone else hear it?It was like the page inside the Aenima album.Then 15 more min.of some dude ranting like a Cash Money Millionaire about his band.I looked at my watch nearly 30 times.The summer,the day,the last hour felt so long.But alas they walked out & were greated like kings.They assumed their postions on the stage & seldomly left them.I wondered why they didn't use the space especially M. He was 20 feet back the whole time.Probably because some"meatheads"made him leary.This chick from my work who had floor seats came to work wed. limping and had a cell phone sized bruise on her shoulder.My next day I was sore from headbanging & jumping while puching air, deaf,& dumb.I enjoyed the going back & forth from new to old songs.M didn't carry out his screams on some parts.Maybe to protect his voice.I was suprised to hear R.Stoned.I'm ignorant of musical instruments so I thought the song was too technical to be performed live.It was unbelievable.M had this tool belt with a strap where he had different mics or something.He did some cool moves though through the whole show while keeping his sunglasses on,shirt off and once in a while putting on his cowboy hat. Better than drag I thought.Danny busted out the gong & played hard all night in his Lakers jersey. Justin and Adam were in their own little zones.Not your typical "rock stars" jumping around but they're not your typical band.Speaking of which I picture them meditating before a show and stretching as opposed to getting wasted and f*cking a groupie.I do hope they went out downtown and chilled somewhere.Any"band-aids"see 'em before or after the show?2 friends at work didn't go because they said last time Tool came to UT to the David O Mckay center in Orem they played tedious 15min intros before every song & that Maynard bashed UT before spending the whole night singing to an alien creature image on the wall totally ignoring the audience.I'm helping them regain their tool testimony.Some people gave me a look for shouting to Justin like I was a girl at an N'Sync concert.I yelled to all of them & thanked them at the top of my lungs.I wasn't bothered by some of the tools who showed up.I loved all the people who showed.It was good to see older couples reminiscing or trying to spark up their love life,dad's with their teenage daughters who wanted to protect them from the "evils of the world",ambercrombie & fitch frat boys who think Tool is like Metallica,hippies looking to score some pot & to just spiral out-this dude in front of us was high on acid or X he was about 42 doing these crazy moves with his hands & arms & later while smoking a bowl during stinkfist.this hero next to me went & ratted him out.He & crew had to leave but luckily got to come back later.I thought the guy was a weirdo but I didn't want anyone to miss the show.think of how bad that would suck,also there were sluts looken to score-anyone take the bait?,f*ck there was such a mix of people.To me they are on all different levels of conscienceness & understanding.They are in different places in their individual lives & they are being touched and taught on their respective planes.Tool's music is deep & rich but also entertaining & even humorous.That is how great art works.Maybe they will eventually look deeper & find something that was hidden just waiting for them to be ready to appreciate it.It took me till Lateralus before I started on my quest for more truth.Hopefully Tool comes to the Delta Center next time to give more people a chance to see them.Missed fav Right in 2 but Vicarious killed.I had to sit down after to catch my breath.At the end M clothed & bailed-our side started the M chant to no avail while the other 3 came out & hugged eachother before bowing.They looked so thrilled.I was so moved by the whole experience.I am so happy to have seen Tool live.Longest post ever-sorry-thanks.

Last edited by drawesome; 09-01-2006 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: Typos
OFFLINE |