View Single Post
Old 03-31-2003, 05:13 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
opiate/Opiate

Karl Marx:
"Religion is opiate to the people."

Without drawing a strict parallel to marxism, the quote, I think, covers the theme of the song in very few words. The way I interpret the lyrics, it's a message concerning the messages of Jesus when he spoke to the masses with a voice that petrified the mind (opiate/Opiate), preachings that acted in a hypnotic way - according to the Bible, the preachings of Jesus 'encuraged' a lot of people to follow him.

-
You are broken now
but faith can heal you
Just do everything I tell you to do
-

--> [according to the Bible]
Jesus spoke,
he was the son of God
and people did follow him.

What I really think Opiate is about is dealing with personal reflections on christianity - whether people chose to follow Jesus or not, then today it's your own business to deal with facts from the bible - it doesn't mean shit if he led the Jews to Israel: That was 2000 years ago. Today has no connection if you don't concieve your own ideas from the Biblical messages. Do you actually need to know what the Bible is? Wouldn't the shit therein be the exact same if it was written yesterday by a guy who just ate seven E's? You need to See then Think instead of Read then Follow. If you need to know that it's the words of God to believe them, you are already a slave - and if you don't believe in that, then I believe you are truly a christian, which is not neccesarily a good thing.

11thc