View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 08:22 AM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/30 - Washington D.C. - Verizon Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcantus View Post
Pretty good show, my first one in fact:

Isis was interesting: seemed a mix of Tool and Opeth.

Was it just me, or did they seem to play the first few songs slower than usual? I didn't get into it as much as I would have liked until Wings for Marie, but then I was also sitting in the upper concourse. I used binoculars, but it feels too much like watching a concert video rather than the actual thing with the damn thing shaking in front of your eyes. Midway through I put it down, only picking it up to see Danny's wicked fills and to check too see if I play the chorus to Vicarious correctly (I'm fairly confident I do now).

Special Effects-
Some very interesting choices for special effects, especially the use of the lasers. During Wings when they were introduced, they very clearly invoked the idea of shining a light up to heaven. Then, they took the lasers and turned them into a symbol for the wings, twisting and turning their way up the the Maker. During Vicarious, the lasers seemed to stab out and touch the audience, hinting at the sort of universal guilt that the song describes. This culminated in an array that pointed to/over the entirety of the crowd. The visual displays were quite effective too. Not too showy, not too stagnant, just appropriate and profound.

Unfortunately, Tool does have a few fans who I can only describe as "douchebags." You know them, the ones who drink shitloads of beer and cuss out the opening act, who puff their chests out and try to rock out in a "manly", restrained fashion, who are so unimaginative that every other word out of their mouth if "fuckin" this and "fuckin" that. Those people really took away from the experience for me. At least some of the people were courteous and respectful, namely the people directly adjacent to me.

Which leads me to another point; I found it very interesting to sit and classify all the types of people by their appearance (not to say that I know who they are, but rather commenting on the image they gave off.) You had your douchebags, you had your kids who looked like they rolled around in the tacklebox/Hot Topic (many of whom looked QUITE strung out,) the nerdy individuals with the videogame shirts/awkward glasses/what not, the older crowd (who were nearly all quite pleasant during the concert), and then the fellows who came primarily for intellectual stimulation. I wonder, if you saw me tonight, which I would fall under in your eyes.

Anyway, to summarize, many good moments, wish I could have been closer, and I would have paid all that money just to see Wings/10000 Days.

One question though: during Vicarious, what three colors were in the spectral-spread effect? Blue, Green, and Red, or was there a Yellow instead in there?
On the douchbag issue... I was in the 5th row, and yes, you should have paid as much as necessary to be able to see them that close (it was worth every penny or hour slaving away at my mindless job). I'm a crazy liberal, I would never advocate the death penalty for anyone... except the douchbag with a laser pointer up in the nose bleeds who thought it would be cool to fuck with maynard the entire concert. To that ahole, I would gladly strap you into the electric chair myself and flip the switch. Maynard was in a great mood the whole night, but who knows what we all could have experienced if that douchbag didn't piss maynard off, and trust me, he was pissed (he actually spent a good deal of time trying to pinpoint the douch to security, and if they suceeded, i hope they kicked the shit out of him before they threw his ass out).
But yes, the concert/religious life experience will not be forgotten, and Lateralus is the greatest song/musical message ever. Embrace the glory of life people, SPIRAL OUT.
OFFLINE |