View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 10:41 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/25 - Cleveland, OH - Wolstein Center

I have been a fan ever since Undertow (after which I went back and bought Opiate, too), but due to college, finances and other stuff I have never been able to see these guys until tonight. What a show! The set list was like a highlight reel on SportsCenter - every single play (or in this case, song) was a masterpiece.

I've been reading up on the set lists for previous shows, and I had a really good feeling about tonight - I was not disappointed. I heard basically evrything I could have wanted to hear (although, let's face it - another twelve songs would have been awesome, too).

Speaking of which, I agree with other posters that it seems like the band might have wanted to bang out one more (and I wish it might have been "Right in Two" as someone else had mentioned), and I also agree with the guy who said "I did not want this concert to end".

Highlights for me were:

Stinkfist - The crowd went ballistic when Maynard appeared in his ATF shirt, cowboy hat, shades, and later revealed the Mohawk (nice!).

The Pot - I agree more people should have been screaming this one out, but those who knew it were going nuts. The song is a blistering indictment of judgmental hypocrites everywhere, and it demands to be sung LOUD!!!

Forty Six and Two - Did you ever notice how hard it is to bang your head at the end of this song? I think I hurt myself, but I don't care. Many of Tool's other songs are bad for the neck, too, but that's because these guys are musical geniuses with the way they use odd time signatures, often changing multiple times per song, and still they never miss a beat. Truly awesome.

Jambi - I hurt my neck even worse on this one, but it wasn't just the 9/8 beat - it's because this is the most face-melting song these guys do! Absolutely badass. I managed to get a short video of the squawk box solo (the sweetest part of this or any other Tool song, IMHO) before a narc snagged my camera batteries - too bad for him I had backups on my pocket (piss off, pigs!).

Schism - The "Schism on Crack" part was frigging sweet!

Lost Keys / Roseta Stoned - I couldn't understand why this song would make a good concert song. I'm happy to admit I was TOTALLY wrong. This was one of the best songs in the set! Maynard's voice pack was killer, and the breakneck speed of his lyrics was just sick!

Wings/10,000 Days - Lasers, lasers and more lasers. Masterful guitar work. Emotionally deep song. Simply awesome.

Lateralus - This song has deep and spiritual lyrics, but the way these dudes performed it tonight was like getting my teeth kicked in (and I liked it)!

Vicarious - The stage graphics were awesome (as with so many of the other songs). This really enhanced the atmosphere for this soaring, bonecrushing tune.

Aenema - An all-time Tool classic. I think I spent whatever good cells I had left in my larynx - I'm gonna be hoarse for days. Thanks, guys.

Adam, Danny, Justin & Maynard - thank you guys for an unforgettable night. You guys are geniuses and YOU FUCKING ROCK!!! Please come back soon.
OFFLINE |