View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 11:10 PM   #19
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/10 - Denver, CO - Temple Buell Theatre

I am incapable of expressing how cool this show was. First of all, let me apologize to anyone who was next to me as I danced (if you could call it that) very violently and sung a couple of the lyrics. Couldn't help myself. Secondly, who made the shirt with the protest phrase on the back? I should have spoken to you at greater length, but I was focused on getting inside. I felt like a sellout for buying a ticket and not bringing a sign, but you made up for it! Thanks for making my evening that much cooler. Now, about the show. Other than some very different sounds from Adam, a few timing errors and some missed lyrics, the songs were very well performed. Rosetta Stoned was great, but the crowd was not very animated at first. When the song finished, Maynard said "Sorry to keep you up past your bed time." Stinkfist was spot on, as was The Pot. Lots of energy, and this is where the crowd started singing. At a couple of different times during the show, Maynard let the crowd sing a chorus here and there, and he just kind of interacted or led the way when the fans started to get confused about the lyrics. I don't remember when Maynard started to mention that it was Danny Carey's birthday, but he reminded us a lot. Before Jambi, he made the comment about how to keep 10,000 days at the top of the charts. Funny stuff. Schism was excellent, it sounded very close to the studio version, as did the patient. Before Sober, Maynard asked "Do you believe in time travel?" after which Danny broke out into a drum solo. Has he done a solo at any other shows? Lateralus was a crowd pleaser, eliciting plenty of pumping fists, and at this point in the show the crowd was singing louder than Maynard for the choruses and easily recognizable parts. The solos that Adam played were only vaguely similar to the studio version. He apparently botched them pretty well, but he improvised some cool licks.The band took a short break to sit down on the stage (Adam in Maynard's lap, for a brief moment). They just sat there and talked to each other, staring back at all of these screaming fans. I had already lost the ability to cheer, just from releasing a guttoral scream at the end of every song, but the crowd noise was absolutely ridiculous. When they returned to their spots, Maynard retorted with "Bitch, bitch, bitch." Vicarious sounds so much more powerful when it's raw and unprocessed. And finally, Aenema was the perfect closer. I have to admit to singing through the whole song, but so was a large percentage of the crowd. My favorite song was Jambi. They had these infernal visuals that strengthened the idea of teetering on the brink of damnation. I would have liked to see a little more animation from the band, though Maynard did a couple of funny things like looking at his hand as if on acid (if you know what I mean). Adam barely moved at all. Justin actually got into it, though. Seeing him play the weird metered bass solo in Rosetta Stoned was pretty cool. All in all it was an awesome show, well worth the money I paid for my ticket. The Temple Buell was almost to small a venue to contain the intensity that the band put off. Can't wait for them to come back!