View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 10:28 AM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Re: The opening sound is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
The opening sound is that of an inhouse elevator. One reference is from the movie 'Skeleton Key', where Kate Hudson uses it to transport a paralysed patient downstairs. Considering we all know about Maynards mother being paralysed, it sounds as though Maynard sampled it while spending time with her. It gives the album a different feel, and i think alot of the tracks, especially the first 7, relate to his conflicts & resolutions with his mother.

The second point which i believe backs it up, is on the liner notes. There's the vertical title of Lateralus, with a series of horizontal lines leading to the track names. The top one starts at 'the Grudge', and the last one finishes in between 'Parabola' & 'Ticks & Leeches' - meaning, the final part of the 'story' is Parabola. This could lead to the idea that tracks 1 to 7 is the story of Maynard and his mothers. The remaining tracks are part of the album, but i feel their stand alone tracks, apart from D/R/T obviously.

I noticed the same thing when I watched that movie... but alas, the movie came out AFTER Lateralus. But this doesn't exclude the elevator theory. And as far as the first 7 being about Maynards mom, don't you think it would be beating a dead horse to go back and make another album with "mom songs"? Don't start changing your interpretations of Lateralus based on 10,000 Days.
Lateralus has its own special meaning... don't reform what you thought about it now.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote