View Single Post
Gajarigon's Avatar Gajarigon
04-14-2006, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
I previously posted a report on the Dutch listening session, that was very well translated by somebody else. I promised to tell more after the embargo on April 13th. I was too busy to write a detailed review untill then, but if you check

http://toolheadonline.blogspot.com/2...re-review.html

there is my story. Too busy to translate it myself right now, but if the person who did it last time is able to, be my guest. :)
This is my translation:

The last few days I have received several mails and comments on my blog about the fact that I would post my review of 10.000 Days on the 13th of April. I didn't forget it, I just was too busy... but anyway, here it is:

(note: this is what I thought of it after the first listen and no one can rate any album after just one listen. Also, I'm not going to review every song, like the English reviewer did, but he is pretty accurate.)

The first time you listened to Aenima or Lateralus, it gave the impression of being run over by a train. 10.000 Days doesn't. The start for instance is very calm and quiet. Yet, the album is very extreme, some songs the album are really loud and hard, other songs aren't.

Lateralus was quiet the drumalbum, but Danny uses the tabla a lot more now, which gives Justin a more prominent role, his bass often has this nice echo effect. Adam's guitar playing is hunting and staccato (following the beat) en less massive than on previous records.

Another big difference are Maynards vocals: less screaming, more modest. It sometimes sounded more like A Perfect Circle than Tool. Also, some passages (like 'Who are you to wave your finger') could be political. Often, there are multiple vocal lines, both backing vocals and a multiple-layered Maynard.

10.000 Days has a lot of soundscapes as well: Rain, thunderstorms, something that sounds like meditating munks (indians?)... A few songs again have a tribal, buddhistic mode.

There was one passage I didn't like, and it was on the second half of the album, where a conversation between a man and a woman can be heared (probably doctor and nurse) where Maynard is the patient.

A lot of fans will not be expecting this, and after the listening session a lot of people were in fact disappointed. I myself didn't have the same sensation that I had when I heard the two last albums for the first time, but it was a very exciting and interesting album, with lots of quiet parts... But I will only be able to write a full review when I heard it more.

== (the end) ==
Old 04-14-2006, 01:10 AM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11
Hans' listening session (translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
I previously posted a report on the Dutch listening session, that was very well translated by somebody else. I promised to tell more after the embargo on April 13th. I was too busy to write a detailed review untill then, but if you check

http://toolheadonline.blogspot.com/2...re-review.html

there is my story. Too busy to translate it myself right now, but if the person who did it last time is able to, be my guest. :)
This is my translation:

The last few days I have received several mails and comments on my blog about the fact that I would post my review of 10.000 Days on the 13th of April. I didn't forget it, I just was too busy... but anyway, here it is:

(note: this is what I thought of it after the first listen and no one can rate any album after just one listen. Also, I'm not going to review every song, like the English reviewer did, but he is pretty accurate.)

The first time you listened to Aenima or Lateralus, it gave the impression of being run over by a train. 10.000 Days doesn't. The start for instance is very calm and quiet. Yet, the album is very extreme, some songs the album are really loud and hard, other songs aren't.

Lateralus was quiet the drumalbum, but Danny uses the tabla a lot more now, which gives Justin a more prominent role, his bass often has this nice echo effect. Adam's guitar playing is hunting and staccato (following the beat) en less massive than on previous records.

Another big difference are Maynards vocals: less screaming, more modest. It sometimes sounded more like A Perfect Circle than Tool. Also, some passages (like 'Who are you to wave your finger') could be political. Often, there are multiple vocal lines, both backing vocals and a multiple-layered Maynard.

10.000 Days has a lot of soundscapes as well: Rain, thunderstorms, something that sounds like meditating munks (indians?)... A few songs again have a tribal, buddhistic mode.

There was one passage I didn't like, and it was on the second half of the album, where a conversation between a man and a woman can be heared (probably doctor and nurse) where Maynard is the patient.

A lot of fans will not be expecting this, and after the listening session a lot of people were in fact disappointed. I myself didn't have the same sensation that I had when I heard the two last albums for the first time, but it was a very exciting and interesting album, with lots of quiet parts... But I will only be able to write a full review when I heard it more.

== (the end) ==
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote