View Single Post
Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
06-05-2006, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadgar346
Roseta Stoned hands down.

Is there any song on 10,000 Days that was more interesting or challenging to play than the others?

“If I was going to pick one, just from a drummer’s standpoint, ‘Rosetta Stoned’ is a good one. There’s that part where I’m playing four with my
left foot, five with my right foot, and six with my hands.

if anyone can do that, let me know lol
That part is at 7mins, it's just bass and drums for a bit then one of Adams sustained solos.

Basically, what is happening in this section is that there are 2 times rotating. The kick drum (right foot) is hitting a 5/16 (I suppose you could call it a 5/8 but it's really a composite of 5/16) and over the top is a 6/8. The 6/8 is made up of the left foot closing the hi-hat ever crotchet, the left hand hitting the snare every 3 crotchets, and the right hand doing double and paradiddles on some synths. Later on the grudge sample comes in to tap the same crotchets as the foot is doing.

This part is quite easy for drummers who have done work with rotating time signatures before. I'm a guitarist by trade but I have done alot of composition with time signature techniques like Tool, Meshuggah and Mnemic.

I can do 3 limbs right now, I can do the right foot hitting the 5/8 riff, I can do the left foot tapping crotchets, and I can do the left hand hitting the snare every 3. But I'll be fucked if I can work out the rhythm of a paradiddle just on the right hand over all this.

The technique for playing something like this is not to think of it in it's constituent parts, but to feel the syncopation of the entire sequence. At first, it does need to be broken down into the different parts, but only to learn the syncopations. As the limbs get put together, it's important not to try and think of the right foot as doing 5/8, but to hear it as part of a larger round of syncopation in 6/8.

For the record I would not say this part is harder than the end of the Grudge, because I can't play that bit at all, it's just an all round drumathon, whereas this is a stringent and technical use of syncopation.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #62
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 30
Re: Hardest Song to play on drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadgar346
Roseta Stoned hands down.

Is there any song on 10,000 Days that was more interesting or challenging to play than the others?

“If I was going to pick one, just from a drummer’s standpoint, ‘Rosetta Stoned’ is a good one. There’s that part where I’m playing four with my
left foot, five with my right foot, and six with my hands.

if anyone can do that, let me know lol
That part is at 7mins, it's just bass and drums for a bit then one of Adams sustained solos.

Basically, what is happening in this section is that there are 2 times rotating. The kick drum (right foot) is hitting a 5/16 (I suppose you could call it a 5/8 but it's really a composite of 5/16) and over the top is a 6/8. The 6/8 is made up of the left foot closing the hi-hat ever crotchet, the left hand hitting the snare every 3 crotchets, and the right hand doing double and paradiddles on some synths. Later on the grudge sample comes in to tap the same crotchets as the foot is doing.

This part is quite easy for drummers who have done work with rotating time signatures before. I'm a guitarist by trade but I have done alot of composition with time signature techniques like Tool, Meshuggah and Mnemic.

I can do 3 limbs right now, I can do the right foot hitting the 5/8 riff, I can do the left foot tapping crotchets, and I can do the left hand hitting the snare every 3. But I'll be fucked if I can work out the rhythm of a paradiddle just on the right hand over all this.

The technique for playing something like this is not to think of it in it's constituent parts, but to feel the syncopation of the entire sequence. At first, it does need to be broken down into the different parts, but only to learn the syncopations. As the limbs get put together, it's important not to try and think of the right foot as doing 5/8, but to hear it as part of a larger round of syncopation in 6/8.

For the record I would not say this part is harder than the end of the Grudge, because I can't play that bit at all, it's just an all round drumathon, whereas this is a stringent and technical use of syncopation.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote