View Single Post
Systolic
06-05-2006, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_Rules
Some good opinions in this thread, but as a drummer of 34 years, on 10K Days Rosetta may very well be the most impressive. But Jambi and Vicarious, let's just say there's not a whole lot that is easy about those tunes, either. There's not an easy drumming song on any of their last two CDs. As a point of relativity, most of Undertow is real doable, less than half of Aenima is doable (but boy, Pushit sure is fun) and Lateralus just propelled Danny (or Danny took Lateralus) to a new dimension of his own drumming. And this CD goes at least a step or two beyond anything he has recorded with anyone including Lateralus. And he knows it. This man has fucking worked his tail off to become better and he is now without a doubt one of the top drummers in the world. No surprise. 46&2 is a great song, but the drum solo is not all that impressive, or, I shoud say, not as hard as it looks in either listening to it or watching him from 20-30 feet away doing it. Some of the off-time hi-hat things he does in the verses of that song are more impressive than that drum solo, IMO. I don't even yet have the nerve to try drumming to ANY of this current CD. It will be awhile. Lots of subtleties in Jambi that most non-drummers cannot comprehend or appreciate. I see nothing mentioned about that most awesome song or the (pehaps overplayed) Vicarious. All instruments and vocals shine on that song, sick as some may be of hearing it on radio (I don't listen to radio, thank God). Rosetta is unbelievable and I am so glad I got to see them do it in Chicago. The drumming in 10000 Days is nothing to scoff at. Ticks and Leeches is a bitch to be sure, one of the best ever, but some of the independence displayed on Triad is beyond belief to me, the same for the song Lateralus. As a drummer, 13 years ago he had me pulling my hair out. Now I don't even reach for my hair. I just shake my head and smile, and sigh. Anyone else with similar opinions about the advancement of Mr. Carey's drumming skills over the last three CDs?

What do you think about Mike Portnoy? He's the only guy that I feel like has the chops to give Carey a run for his money. Opeth's drummer isn't too bad either.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:52 AM   #42
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 862
Re: Hardest Song to play on drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_Rules
Some good opinions in this thread, but as a drummer of 34 years, on 10K Days Rosetta may very well be the most impressive. But Jambi and Vicarious, let's just say there's not a whole lot that is easy about those tunes, either. There's not an easy drumming song on any of their last two CDs. As a point of relativity, most of Undertow is real doable, less than half of Aenima is doable (but boy, Pushit sure is fun) and Lateralus just propelled Danny (or Danny took Lateralus) to a new dimension of his own drumming. And this CD goes at least a step or two beyond anything he has recorded with anyone including Lateralus. And he knows it. This man has fucking worked his tail off to become better and he is now without a doubt one of the top drummers in the world. No surprise. 46&2 is a great song, but the drum solo is not all that impressive, or, I shoud say, not as hard as it looks in either listening to it or watching him from 20-30 feet away doing it. Some of the off-time hi-hat things he does in the verses of that song are more impressive than that drum solo, IMO. I don't even yet have the nerve to try drumming to ANY of this current CD. It will be awhile. Lots of subtleties in Jambi that most non-drummers cannot comprehend or appreciate. I see nothing mentioned about that most awesome song or the (pehaps overplayed) Vicarious. All instruments and vocals shine on that song, sick as some may be of hearing it on radio (I don't listen to radio, thank God). Rosetta is unbelievable and I am so glad I got to see them do it in Chicago. The drumming in 10000 Days is nothing to scoff at. Ticks and Leeches is a bitch to be sure, one of the best ever, but some of the independence displayed on Triad is beyond belief to me, the same for the song Lateralus. As a drummer, 13 years ago he had me pulling my hair out. Now I don't even reach for my hair. I just shake my head and smile, and sigh. Anyone else with similar opinions about the advancement of Mr. Carey's drumming skills over the last three CDs?

What do you think about Mike Portnoy? He's the only guy that I feel like has the chops to give Carey a run for his money. Opeth's drummer isn't too bad either.