View Single Post
RED_THE_HAT
04-19-2006, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitbox
Look, I'm not saying they don't work hard, or that it's not worth 65 a pop to see them live.

I saw them in Chicago on their US mini-tour back in 2001 at a small venue, and I would love to recreate that experience. However, $65 dollars is a lot to ask, especially since many people are just going to put the tickets on eBay anyway, and charge much more than the face value of the tickets.

To put this in perspective, let's see what some other acts are charging for tickets these days:

Metric - $9
Ladytron - $12
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - $14
Low - $15
Wilco - $28.50
Sigur Ros - $30
Nine Inch Nails - $36

Every one of those bands above is rather popular. Not one of them comes close to the exorbitant price for a Tool concert.
The only one of these bands that I can see as being worthy of charging alot is NIN. I saw them play a while ago in Melbourne, and the charge was 90$ AUD. The average Australian ticket price at the moment is around the 100$ mark, for an international act that puts on a good show. The other artists that you mentioned, i have never seen here. Doesnt mean that they are great and all, but still comparing small to big time.
When a band has to tour internationalla alot, their prices tend to soar, because it costs more. International Travel costs money, so does equipment in other countries, with the ever changing dollar value.
Bands like NIN have been in the game a long time, playing big shows for a long time, and are better at hiding new releases, in theory, better educated at loss prevention on the internet.
If a band like Tool were to set their break even different at their shows to make sure that a loss wouldnt occur, it is only due to us all, and how much we have downladed. In an interview I watched recently of Maynard in australia, he quoted that Tool is his job. It is his unique little way of paying the bills. I dont blame them for wanting to be secure and all, especially with the amount of internet piracy that is happening.
I dont care either way how much they charge for a show, sometimes, it may be steep, but do you get your moneys worth? Yes. People who have either worked in the industry, been a part of a group, etc, had to tour before, they all know how much money that bands dont get to see. Here is a point. From every album sold, most bands only get to see a dollar. 5 million albums sold worldwide = 5,000,000 dollars for the band over 5 years, or until next record. That is 1,250,000 per band member. That equivelates to a 250,000 dollar budget per band member per year based on a 5 mil sales. When a band is on tour, they are pretty much forced to live the high life, because when you are on the road, everything is so much more expensive. You need to spend time on the road to understand this.
With live shows, a percentage is also taken to cover the record. This leaves them with not much else, and of course the whole time, they hope to break even.
In theory, this is not much. Plus the, what, 10 cent royalty per radio play... at least from those who report that they have played that track....

There is so much more i can explain, and I am telling you, they are only being fair.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:36 AM   #51
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6
Re: NOT ANOTHER CENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitbox
Look, I'm not saying they don't work hard, or that it's not worth 65 a pop to see them live.

I saw them in Chicago on their US mini-tour back in 2001 at a small venue, and I would love to recreate that experience. However, $65 dollars is a lot to ask, especially since many people are just going to put the tickets on eBay anyway, and charge much more than the face value of the tickets.

To put this in perspective, let's see what some other acts are charging for tickets these days:

Metric - $9
Ladytron - $12
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - $14
Low - $15
Wilco - $28.50
Sigur Ros - $30
Nine Inch Nails - $36

Every one of those bands above is rather popular. Not one of them comes close to the exorbitant price for a Tool concert.
The only one of these bands that I can see as being worthy of charging alot is NIN. I saw them play a while ago in Melbourne, and the charge was 90$ AUD. The average Australian ticket price at the moment is around the 100$ mark, for an international act that puts on a good show. The other artists that you mentioned, i have never seen here. Doesnt mean that they are great and all, but still comparing small to big time.
When a band has to tour internationalla alot, their prices tend to soar, because it costs more. International Travel costs money, so does equipment in other countries, with the ever changing dollar value.
Bands like NIN have been in the game a long time, playing big shows for a long time, and are better at hiding new releases, in theory, better educated at loss prevention on the internet.
If a band like Tool were to set their break even different at their shows to make sure that a loss wouldnt occur, it is only due to us all, and how much we have downladed. In an interview I watched recently of Maynard in australia, he quoted that Tool is his job. It is his unique little way of paying the bills. I dont blame them for wanting to be secure and all, especially with the amount of internet piracy that is happening.
I dont care either way how much they charge for a show, sometimes, it may be steep, but do you get your moneys worth? Yes. People who have either worked in the industry, been a part of a group, etc, had to tour before, they all know how much money that bands dont get to see. Here is a point. From every album sold, most bands only get to see a dollar. 5 million albums sold worldwide = 5,000,000 dollars for the band over 5 years, or until next record. That is 1,250,000 per band member. That equivelates to a 250,000 dollar budget per band member per year based on a 5 mil sales. When a band is on tour, they are pretty much forced to live the high life, because when you are on the road, everything is so much more expensive. You need to spend time on the road to understand this.
With live shows, a percentage is also taken to cover the record. This leaves them with not much else, and of course the whole time, they hope to break even.
In theory, this is not much. Plus the, what, 10 cent royalty per radio play... at least from those who report that they have played that track....

There is so much more i can explain, and I am telling you, they are only being fair.
OFFLINE |