View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006, 01:48 PM   #67
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/09 - Phoenix, AZ - Cricket Pavilion

HEADLINE: Phx, AZ - Cowboy Keenan herds his cattle and feeds them feces.

Kids, don't be fooled. This was not a good show. Maynard sabotaged an otherwise beautiful evening in the Valley of the Sun. It started out bad, became uncomfortable and later, downright embarrassing.

MJK threw his mic down during The Pot, 2nd song after Stinkfist. He then ran off in a hissy. Apparently, someone threw a water bottle on stage. That's right, someone maybe less neurotic than the singer, in an excited moment, lost the leash on his pesonal hydration device!

Maynard proceeded to dish out his punishment for this innocuous act throughout the rest of the short show. It appears that the boys cut a few songs compared to some of the other set lists I've seen. The singer decided to stop attempting to entertainment us during the next song, Forty-Six & 2. He just stood there - quiet. It was the best song of the night! The crew was dead-on and rocked the house.

After angrily flipping off the crowd, Maynard gave it another shot. He missed the target completely. He was simply going through the motions. He left out many lines and his range was lackluster. I think he forgot his own lyrics during one number. Other posts were accurate. He sang the 'Tattoo' line three times in Ænima. He also decided to skip the climactic last few lines of Vicarious. Yes, you heard correctly. It was quite pathetic.

The rest of the guys had their moments, tight and cohesive at times. But the acoustics were muffled, particularly with the vocals. Their last two tours sounded crisp with very few mistakes in my opinion. Maynard definitely detracted from the obvious brilliance of the real performers here.

They did not play Sober or Right in Two. The latter would have been great without the 'monkey' vocals. The set looked like a bad Vegas show, with the requisite Rock-n-Roll smoke 'n mirrors, spinning lights, and pretty lasers. Large screens cycled vintage trippy videos, a la Adam.

In the end, The Prima Donna offered to butcher one more song 'if we were good'. He earlier offered up an excuse to cover his flaming narcicism. 'I got sick in LA', he said, 'so I need to take some Sudafed'. Thanks for the info there, egoboy. Your blatant aggression and disrespect for the people who pay your bills sends a message that's loud and clear. You crave alienation. Sheriff Joe ought to slap Keenan's white cowboy hat crowned piehole holder on a piece of parchment with bold caption: WANTED: For (1) ROBBING thousands of a day's wages and (2) KILLING the sprit of Rock-n-Roll !

Take heed. Art is subjective and some people are masochists.

Shameful.
OFFLINE |