View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 08:37 PM   #65
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/09 - Phoenix, AZ - Cricket Pavilion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynohmike View Post
This was my third Tool show and regardless of the problems I honestly had one of the greatest spiritual experiences at a show since the last time I saw Bob Dylan. I know there were issues and we all expect a lot more out of Tool than other acts but considering the circumstances, we were lucky to get a show at all.

Wings/10000 Days was especially moving and I barely said a word the rest of the night.

All in all, I'm still feeling the changes from that show and I thank Tool for not just being a band that plays good music, but also makes you consider your place in life.
Wow, so many great points. It's refreshing to read a post like this where regardless of the problems you got so much out of the concert. I can't agree with your words more. This was my 4th Tool show, and 3rd this year. While some things detracted from Saturday's, they just didn't matter at all... I just left thinking about how much I love Tool. For me their music resonates with the deepest of life's emotions, from the darkest and most seething all the way to the transcendent and most beautiful, so I find their concerts to be an unexplainable and otherworldly experience. This show was no exception. The intensity of the sound, the visuals, seeing these men in person after only hearing them all these years, and Lateralus live--what could possibly compare to that? Plus I got to hear Wings, finally. That's my favorite song on 10,000 Days and their performance completely blew me away. That song was why I decided to go to this show at the last minute, even though I'd just seen them in Oakland (besides, who can see too many Tool concerts?). When I heard they'd started to play Wings and that they happened to be in Phoenix the same day I flew into AZ to visit family, I just had to go. I was lucky to get a good seat on the afternoon before the show through ticketmaster, so perhaps that great evening was meant to be. Anyways, like you, I didn't have much of anything to say and was in a completely different emotional space that I can't really explain when the show was over. In fact, it's still hanging with me. Wings is so intense and personal that I don't know how Maynard can play it publicly. Especially on Saturday after being beaned in the head by a complete asshole and being sick. That song has also had a strong impact on my relationship with my mom, as well inspired thoughts about life in general and what we do with the time we have here. I too wish I could somehow express my gratitude to the guys for what they've brought to my life. But thanks for the post, glad you enjoyed the concert. I hope they tour more next year.
OFFLINE |