View Single Post
BlairLicksTaint's Avatar BlairLicksTaint
07-19-2009, 08:27 AM

I have to agree with the first poster. YES, the setlist was the same, but they were on their game last night, and as always, the visuals were amazing. I really wish they would have played at least ONE different song, but I'll be watching the UT show posts tonight to see what the full show setlist will be. I know it's a festival, but they could have easily thrown something different in, a cover, 3rd Eye, D/R/T. something cool.

That being said, The show they put on always has been, and still is amazing. I didn't see any pissed off Tool fans though, even though the songs were the same. I've seen this similar set 5 times starting at Coachella, and it's still amazing to see. Either I have low expectations, or Tool really does still entertain well with the same recycled set.
There were some non Tool fans in the crowd since they were the only band playing during their whole slot. I heard a lot of excitement from them about the music, the visuals, and especially the lazers, which would have been really cool to see from the helicopter flying overhead. the lazers seemed to shoot all the way to DIA.

Hopefully someone will post a picture of the new tour shirt with their faces on the back. Very weird. The other design was awesome, but I couldn't bring my self to spend $40/$45!!! There was a cool keychain with the wrench logo cut out in metal, but it was $15. Christ guys, you have to have enough money by now. $40 t-shirts is just not cool.

Most of the show was already covered. Maynard said a lot about boobs. something like "This show is brought to you by...boobies". The backdrop was really cool I think it was new, and they had a new septagram hanging on the right side, in front of the backdrop. In on of the first few songs, they were projecting an image of the skull with the fetus inside on the bacdrop, there were multiple projections of this image, and they were moving around all accross the back. Kinda cool. The video was really good tonight, I think because the two house screens looked like they could have been HD. They were very clear compared to the screen behind the band, and the color was extremely vivid.

Danny was ridiculous this show, I am not sure if I've ever seen him play so well. He was improvising a lot of his fills, and even the solo in 46&2 was much different. The mix was pretty good, maynard was quiet at times, but the overall show was very soft. During flood I went back to the sound booth, and the show was WAY too soft. The wind was causing some weird phasing issues as well. In between songs the crowd back there was chanting "Turn it up".

We exited out the south entrance, so we had to go past the crowd waiting for Widespread Panic. That was interesting. A few ppl in front of us had Tool shirts on and some hippy sarcasticly gave them high fives and said "Yeah, Tool!" then he went on to say "Why are you leaving? Haven't you ever heard the Panic? You'd like them, stay around!" funny.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:27 AM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.
Bincount™: 69
Re: 07.18.09 - Denver, CO @ Mile High Fest

I have to agree with the first poster. YES, the setlist was the same, but they were on their game last night, and as always, the visuals were amazing. I really wish they would have played at least ONE different song, but I'll be watching the UT show posts tonight to see what the full show setlist will be. I know it's a festival, but they could have easily thrown something different in, a cover, 3rd Eye, D/R/T. something cool.

That being said, The show they put on always has been, and still is amazing. I didn't see any pissed off Tool fans though, even though the songs were the same. I've seen this similar set 5 times starting at Coachella, and it's still amazing to see. Either I have low expectations, or Tool really does still entertain well with the same recycled set.
There were some non Tool fans in the crowd since they were the only band playing during their whole slot. I heard a lot of excitement from them about the music, the visuals, and especially the lazers, which would have been really cool to see from the helicopter flying overhead. the lazers seemed to shoot all the way to DIA.

Hopefully someone will post a picture of the new tour shirt with their faces on the back. Very weird. The other design was awesome, but I couldn't bring my self to spend $40/$45!!! There was a cool keychain with the wrench logo cut out in metal, but it was $15. Christ guys, you have to have enough money by now. $40 t-shirts is just not cool.

Most of the show was already covered. Maynard said a lot about boobs. something like "This show is brought to you by...boobies". The backdrop was really cool I think it was new, and they had a new septagram hanging on the right side, in front of the backdrop. In on of the first few songs, they were projecting an image of the skull with the fetus inside on the bacdrop, there were multiple projections of this image, and they were moving around all accross the back. Kinda cool. The video was really good tonight, I think because the two house screens looked like they could have been HD. They were very clear compared to the screen behind the band, and the color was extremely vivid.

Danny was ridiculous this show, I am not sure if I've ever seen him play so well. He was improvising a lot of his fills, and even the solo in 46&2 was much different. The mix was pretty good, maynard was quiet at times, but the overall show was very soft. During flood I went back to the sound booth, and the show was WAY too soft. The wind was causing some weird phasing issues as well. In between songs the crowd back there was chanting "Turn it up".

We exited out the south entrance, so we had to go past the crowd waiting for Widespread Panic. That was interesting. A few ppl in front of us had Tool shirts on and some hippy sarcasticly gave them high fives and said "Yeah, Tool!" then he went on to say "Why are you leaving? Haven't you ever heard the Panic? You'd like them, stay around!" funny.