View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 08:24 AM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/11/10 - Brussels, BEL - Forest National

I didn't really like the Leuven-gig, but was very impressed with what I experienced in Brussels. And the weird thing is: I don't really know why. It was great to hear Swamp song, but apart from that, it was the same set list and I still feel they are playing safe.

i saw Tool for the fifth time last friday and it was a great concert, but not as great as the Lateralus-concerts I saw; and maybe for one important thing: Maynard did connect with audience during the Lateralus-concerts.
i saw them at Ozzfest and before playing Lateralus then he said something like 'thank you for coming, I hope this experience has helped you.. heal in some way'.
Maybe this tour is lacking some earnestness, some real connection between the band and the audience. maynards performance and attitude in leuven and in Luxembourg, gave me the impression he didn't really want to be there. Maybe he is fed up with all the touring. But he gave a great performance in Brussels, so thie fire is probably still burning, but maybe there's just more draft: more sales, more interviews, more exposure, less room for reflection and less possibility to communicate the complexity and message of the band.

But still: no disrespect. Tool is one of the best bands around. They've made some wonderful albums and even the not-so-great concerts were good enough to attend. On the other hand: they set their own standards, and it really must be hard living up to them. I hoped they could top the lateralus-shows I saw, but maybe that was a bit too much to expect...

Anyway, for you Dutch-able readers: my review
OFFLINE |